Thread: The Ne clip-on

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Ne clip-on

Have you ever witnessed this phenomenon whereby a Ne person will clip themselves on to you? The beginning is very subtle, so easy to miss, it happened to me.
    I want to go to the gym, she wants to come along, I want to do something like go for a walk, so does she, but with me, I want to do something crafty she clips on.

She knows someone I know. Calamity (!). I like to travel light. How do i unclip her??

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blow up in her face to scare her away. Make it big, make it loud, make it as instantaneous as possible.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might, out of sheer frustration, sigh. She only clings on anytime she finds out i'm doing either A) a physical activity B) something involving actual practical skill; It's weird.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NT or NF? If NT, I think you can just say you want to do something by yourself. If she's says she really wants to come, you can follow up with a "[we can hang out] next time, [because this time] I just want to do something alone." If she's still says she wants to come then let her come but then be less conversational and like you're mainly just focusing on being introverted and in the moment.
    Last edited by ClownsandEntropy; 02-11-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I might, out of sheer frustration, sigh. She only clings on anytime she finds out i'm doing either A) a physical activity B) something involving actual practical skill; It's weird.
    It's not weird, it's Si-seeking. If she's Ne lead as I assume, scare her off by talking about math (Ti) or your friends and values (Fi) nonstop, it's so boring that loses interest. In any case, mimic conflictor. You'd get rid of me instantly by dropping corrections to my words, aggressor pick-up lines and some supremacy theory.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ne clip-on is in my knitting group after which i do my A and B routines, which accidentally i told her about. I might have to change my schedule

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tell her you want to be/do X alone? Repeat as often as you feel like it?

If she keeps asking after the third time being blown off in a row, ponder blunter techniques.
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see what this has to do with Ne. More like Fe...

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya I just feel a bit sensitive and need some distance in general, maybe she a bit clingy what seems a bit iffy but whatever I'll see how it goes.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Well, I could be wrong, but how is it Fe?

Like she really clings on about A and B, and chats only about A and B, I mean, gets even boring. Like i'm in the pool doing laps she follows me around, I say I'll be in sauna 10 mins she stays same exact length of time, once I said forget it and only did three laps - was fed up, and so did she!

I'll just change my schedule, gets old like this.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post
    Tell her you want to be/do X alone? Repeat as often as you feel like it?

If she keeps asking after the third time being blown off in a row, ponder blunter techniques.
    This.

@Delilah Being direct would work on an Ne dom because it removes all possibilities to one: the fact that you want to be alone. If you try other ways to get rid of her, then she might entertain other reasons why you're acting that way. Do it cordially of course, you don't have to be rude to her, just use it as a last resort only.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    This.

@Delilah Being direct would work on an Ne dom because it removes all possibilities to one: the fact that you want to be alone. If you try other ways to get rid of her, then she might entertain other reasons why you're acting that way. Do it cordially of course, you don't have to be rude to her, just use it as a last resort only.
    Seconded, except that I would use it as a FIRST resort. You're already bloody fed up as it is, save yourself the hassle already. Blunt may come across as a little rude, but you'll be free a lot faster and in a more definitive way, which is your end goal.
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to do it in the past offer an explanation out of politesse but it like never worked for me as I soon realized people will quickly come to their own conclusion no matter what i'd said and now as some unwritten rule i just don't agree with it, i 'd just rather save explanations for those i'd considered special to me; it's just better for me this way.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Delilah

I haven't known a Ne who couldn't take "no" for an answer unless s/he was mentally unbalanced - but s/he has to be unequivocally told "no"; hints won't always work.....

a.k.a. I/O

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That is a sign of finding something interesting and worthy to spend energy on. Just to get rid of it: become mentally closed off and show hostility.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Yeah I used to know an Ne girl (Fi PoLR possibly) who would always want to come around with me wherever I went just so she could entertain herself with me... while she didn't seem that aware of "personal boundaries" I literally didn't care at all and found her presence more exciting and positive than anything else, even when I wanted to be alone if she was the one to come to me and discuss something random that she is fond of (she is pretty much always discussing her interests to me and trying to get me to like them?) then I'd prolly forgot I even was alone.. she just knows how to be friendly and intriguing without being too personally invasive or annoying, but then again that's probably because she's not really aware of personal boundaries, she just skips right past them in favor of what experiences can be had with another person which I find soothing and probably the easiest relationship possible.

She kinda reminds me of a softer and equally vulnerable yet way more relatable and friendly and less argumentative ShoeOnHead

Anyways well back to the question: I never could tell her to leave me, because I never cared in the first place but everyone around me I think were trying to "get her off me" through not so subtle interventions on our conversations which either she didn't notice or didn't feel comfortable pointing out

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I haven't had one "clip on" that much. I have had duals take note of my routine so they can end up being around me. And I don't mind at all.

I wonder whether it's a Delta-rational thing to blatantly latch onto someone like, "I like you. I'm going to stay here." in a way that would be creepy to a lot of people.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is NTR desperation rather then Ne related behaviour.

I've seen a lot of people latch on to Se people, those aren't usually the Ne valuers though

Advice: Just say that you don't want to hang out, at all. Try to make it honest and without malice.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by unsuccessfull Alphamale View Post
    That is a sign of finding something interesting and worthy to spend energy on. Just to get rid of it: become mentally closed off and show hostility.
    haha That must be it coz like i changed my schedule and even topic of conversation and now she's trying to glue herself on via other channels namely my girl chat about nails and the like like omg but whatever so long as i can still do A and B alone *strolls off*
    Last edited by Delilah; 02-19-2017 at 04:04 AM.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    If it is indeed Fe then I'm doomed for there is Fe in every interaction with 2 + people (like you need to be alone to totally experience introversion ime) and this is coming out of a group thing gah. Maybe time to abandon ship entirely ??

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Better than being a strap on.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I could be wrong, but how is it Fe?

Like she really clings on about A and B, and chats only about A and B, I mean, gets even boring. Like i'm in the pool doing laps she follows me around, I say I'll be in sauna 10 mins she stays same exact length of time, once I said forget it and only did three laps - was fed up, and so did she!

I'll just change my schedule, gets old like this.
    Because the goal is interaction.

If it is indeed Fe then I'm doomed for there is Fe in every interaction with 2 + people (like you need to be alone to totally experience introversion ime) and this is coming out of a group thing gah. Maybe time to abandon ship entirely ??
    Fe is involved even in individual interactions, you still have to communicate emotionally somehow.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    This.

I should have addressed this because it was thoughtful of you to suggest. However for me I only explain things if I've found the relation to be significant to me, otherwise I don't feel obliged to esp. at the level of acquaintanceship where this is at. I've avoided this person a few times and they didn't bother me anymore so all in all success or some such.

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

NTR. this is people expecting other people to read their minds, only to be confused when those people inevitably misread their vague signals.

what i imagine happened is that you (inadvertently) gave her signals that you're ok with her tagging along. she mistook your politeness for genuine interest. the longer you put off telling her "no", the tighter she "clipped" onto you, but now that the ball's rolling, you don't know how to tell her "no" without hurting her feelings. why? because everything that followed your initial aversion to telling her "no" was (mis)interpreted as positive reinforcement rather than neutrality. it's clear that you don't want to hurt her feelings, hence why you're in this position in the first place =p

but i'd still recommend telling her that you'd prefer to do those activities alone, or that they're "separate" parts of your life. be kind but firm.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post

I've seen a lot of people latch on to Se people, those aren't usually the Ne valuers though

Advice: Just say that you don't want to hang out, at all. Try to make it honest and without malice.
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
    NTR. this is people expecting other people to read their minds, only to be confused when those people inevitably misread their vague signals.

what i imagine happened is that you (inadvertently) gave her signals that you're ok with her tagging along. she mistook your politeness for genuine interest. the longer you put off telling her "no", the tighter she "clipped" onto you, but now that the ball's rolling, you don't know how to tell her "no" without hurting her feelings. why? because everything that followed your initial aversion to telling her "no" was (mis)interpreted as positive reinforcement rather than neutrality. it's clear that you don't want to hurt her feelings, hence why you're in this position in the first place =p

but i'd still recommend telling her that you'd prefer to do those activities alone, or that they're "separate" parts of your life. be kind but firm.
    I agree that this is not type-related. She either misread your signals that you didn't enjoy her company or you were so nice that she mistook your niceness for genuine interest.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post

Yes, precisely.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SongOfSapphire View Post
    I agree that this is not type-related. She either misread your signals that you didn't enjoy her company or you were so nice that she mistook your niceness for genuine interest.
    I somewhat agree with you that how she interpreted or misinterpreted my behaviour (aka i was being nice and she took that as invitation) is NTR. However what I do think is type related is that she latches onto S type activities, i type her IEE btw. Anyhow, i'm no longer bothered by them