Thread: Giving sympathy

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Giving sympathy

I’m not the best at giving people a beautifully written statement of sympathy. I feel their pain in myself and I’m compassionate to them and if they were near me I would remain silent and let them cry, however I’m terrible at writing beautifully constructed sentences of sympathy. I have noticed that SEE find memes that express their feelings and other types too. Less for LSE. Is this tied to introversion?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    FLVE
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think xEI could give beautifully written sentiments of sympathy, though I don't necessarily see this as type related.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

No its eloquence

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Generally, I'd expect introverts to be particularly skilled at written forms of communication compared to extroverts, or at least, they'd do comparably better than with face-to-face communication. I'd also expect IJ temperament types to be especially skilled at being comprehensive and at making nuances.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short and sweet Maritsa

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

This is an SEE
    "Knowing that our little babe was hand picked for earth by two beautiful souls in heaven is something else. I always dreamed my Dedo would be around to watch these milestones in my life and there aren’t words for how much it tore me up to lose him before I even graduated high school, but what I’ve learned over the years is that even though I don’t get to hug and kiss him, or go on fishing trips, or slip away for ice cream runs anymore he’s still watching over me and I can still make him proud. I know he’s gonna make sure everything goes smoothly these next 24 hours and that both of these amazing men will beam with pride when they see their great grandsons beautiful little face. He’s one lucky little guy to have our guardian angels watch him grow up to be a great man one day. I hope I have what it takes to make them all proud of me as a mom and as a granddaughter, I’ll always try to be the best I can. And with that, here’s to never being the same person I was this morning "
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Creative ethics.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you not think that these skills are learnt? It's not like people can do these things the moment that they were born.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm pretty good at that myself, but it makes me feel uncomfortable if people IRL clearly feel sorry for me too much. I don't value the opposite either, blatant cruelty and obviously preying on my weaknesses - but I like it the most if a person is kind of more or less blissfully unaware/obtuse of my emotional state to begin with lol (like how a lot of ILEs and SLEs are?) Or they are just kind of too cool for it either way.

I probably prefer written sympathy over real life sympathy actually, as it has sort of this dignified distance when done properly.

RL Sympathy feels annoying and condescending to me usually, like all the people who pretended to care when my dad was dying of cancer, surrounding our family like vultures so they could self-righteously feel like they were 'good people' on the cover of O magazine. It was pretty pathetic, but that is humanity for you lol. Very few people are there when I need them the most, and everybody is always around picking at the scab when I want them to just fuck off.

*blinks* Sorry. That was probably way too bitter, emo and bitchy but I am a male IEI after all. =p

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    I’m not the best at giving people a beautifully written statement of sympathy. I feel their pain in myself and I’m compassionate to them and if they were near me I would remain silent and let them cry, however I’m terrible at writing beautifully constructed sentences of sympathy. I have noticed that SEE find memes that express their feelings and other types too. Less for LSE. Is this tied to introversion?
    Not really, it is tied to Fe-ignoring. EIIs are inclined to give people the space to let out their own emotions instead of actively trying to change someone's emotional state. But since our culture values the capacity for sympathy, or better: the expression of sympathy, it is not uncommon for EIIs to feel defective in this respect. But if you accept that an Fe style of expressing sympathy is not your thing, then there is more room for expressing your capacity for emotional support, which, in the long run, has more lasting benefits to the recipient of your support. Just work your magic in silence ;-)
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Beautiful sky Why must your sympathy be "beautifully" written? Perfectionism can often stand in one's way.........

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Not really, it is tied to Fe-ignoring. EIIs are inclined to give people the space to let out their own emotions instead of actively trying to change someone's emotional state. But since our culture values the capacity for sympathy, or better: the expression of sympathy, it is not uncommon for EIIs to feel defective in this respect. But if you accept that an Fe style of expressing sympathy is not your thing, then there is more room for expressing your capacity for emotional support, which, in the long run, has more lasting benefits to the recipient of your support. Just work your magic in silence ;-)
    Thank you CA
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    I'm pretty good at that myself, but it makes me feel uncomfortable if people IRL clearly feel sorry for me too much. I don't value the opposite either, blatant cruelty and obviously preying on my weaknesses - but I like it the most if a person is kind of more or less blissfully unaware/obtuse of my emotional state to begin with lol (like how a lot of ILEs and SLEs are?) Or they are just kind of too cool for it either way.

I probably prefer written sympathy over real life sympathy actually, as it has sort of this dignified distance when done properly.

RL Sympathy feels annoying and condescending to me usually, like all the people who pretended to care when my dad was dying of cancer, surrounding our family like vultures so they could self-righteously feel like they were 'good people' on the cover of O magazine. It was pretty pathetic, but that is humanity for you lol. Very few people are there when I need them the most, and everybody is always around picking at the scab when I want them to just fuck off.

*blinks* Sorry. That was probably way too bitter, emo and bitchy but I am a male IEI after all. =p
    -

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

/rubs Maritsa.

I'm glad that you are back.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    @Beautiful sky Why must your sympathy be "beautifully" written? Perfectionism can often stand in one's way.........

a.k.a. I/O
    Thank you Rebel. I just say “I’m sorry for your loss”
    -

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last night you told me I was saying some horrible vile things, after I expressed my sentiments... I mean, that didn't feel like a silent compassionate treatment.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    last night you told me I was saying some horrible vile things, after I expressed my sentiments... I mean, that didn't feel like a silent compassionate treatment.
    you are twisting the truth. You should have copied what I said verbatim so as to remember exactly what I said. I said your laughing at a serious matter is unacceptable.
    -

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, and after that you said that what I said about pleasing his wife was "horrendous and vile", and yeah... that it's not acceptable to laugh at people's idiocy... I forgot of that part

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

yeah, and after that you said that what I said about pleasing his wife was "horrendous and vile", and yeah... that it's not acceptable to laugh at people's idiocy... I forgot of that part
    It is. You've done one wrong now you are plotting to do another. How is that right? That doesn't mean I don't have compassion for you as a person.
    -

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very compassionate ^^

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

very compassionate ^^
    you must misunderstand compassion. It's not to go tell you to go do the WRONG thing. It isn't even to not judge you in your actions.
    -

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you must misunderstand compassion. It's not to go tell you to go do the WRONG thing. It isn't even to not judge you in your actions.
    that's not compassion, lol

ugh

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

that's not compassion, lol

ugh
    call it whatever you like. I'm not going to be the one to enable your wrong actions. But I can continue to talk to you.
    -

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stop calling them wrong actions when you have your own idea about something that never went the way you think.

compassion is about understanding, not pushing forward your moral grounds.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

stop calling them wrong actions when you have your own idea about something that never went the way you think.

compassion is about understanding, not pushing forward your moral grounds.
    I understand. I don't agree. I'll listen. Doesn't mean it's me. EII is about pushing forward with your moral grounds (ethical Judging type) judges moral actions of others finds ethical refinement.
    -

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand. I don't agree. I'll listen. Doesn't mean it's me. EII is about pushing forward with your moral grounds (ethical Judging type) judges moral actions of others finds ethical refinement.
    Having firm principles or moral values doesn't mean to push them onto other people, Beauty. That's all compassion is about. EII or not, telling people some rude remarks without having a clue, just because you think they're wrong, and you're right, doesn't make you any more righteous.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Having firm principles or moral values doesn't mean to push them onto other people, Beauty.
    Having something in ego - means "to push them onto other people". As your attention is on that, you are assured in own opinion and you want to make better for you and others.
    There is some difference in ways by which that is pushed. But it's pushed always and it's best what you may push in others.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reyne View Post
    I'm terrible at expressing sympathy verbally. I know how to be kind, how to let the other person not feel judged, so I consider myself sympathetic. But I am unable at truly expressing deep feelings. So I couldn't write a good statement of sympathy.
    Lacks Fi
    -

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Technically I could write something nice and sympathetic, generally, and I've advised others on what to say, but it's even harder in the moment because communication and "finding the right words" is a mental/cognitive thing that distracts from any visceral emotions I might have going on. The more I care, the cheaper it feels to convert feelings to words and thus water them down, so it can be challenging.

(This probably relates to my recent words=reality thread and my feelings of sympathy do not feel less real at all because they aren't easily placed in words but I don't wanna spend mental energy on reconciling the contradiction)

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m always worried it’ll come out sounding cheesy and awkward. It just feels weird to me. I also feel strange about receiving sympathy. Actually, one of my moms cousin said something to me at a funeral once, my grandma’s funeral. She said everyone will tell you it’s ok and it doesn’t feel that way and it’s not. But it will get better eventually. It just really struck home. It felt like the right thing to say to me other than, “I’m sorry for your loss, it’ll be ok.” It’s was just nice to hear someone say this freaking sucks and it’s not alright. I think I’d rather be that person. But everyone needs to hear different things, I guess. If you know them well you can kind of guess what they need. And socionics tells us these things
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reyne View Post
    I'm terrible at expressing sympathy verbally. I know how to be kind, how to let the other person not feel judged, so I consider myself sympathetic. But I am unable at truly expressing deep feelings. So I couldn't write a good statement of sympathy.
    Lacks Fi
    He kind of says the same thing you are or maybe I am reading one of you wrong?

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    He kind of says the same thing you are or maybe I am reading one of you wrong?
    Written and yes estj express their feelings when venting that’s when they need the absorbing power of Fi to hear them vent and console them but they don’t console others written well either. We are the same in that regard
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

LSE have a “let’s fix it” attitude to emotions. This describes LSE well

A very caring person. Ensures that his loved ones have an income and comfortable living conditions. Helps people not by words, but by deeds. Spends his vacation time resting as thoroughly as he was working. Loves holiday dinners, abundant food, often knows how to cook well himself. With pleasure gives gifts and presents surprises. Goes through physical weakness and ailments with difficulty, neglects his own illnesses. Often looks after health of others more willingly than after his own well-being. For him it's important to find the original cause of poor health. Usually looks tidy and neat and handles his belongings with care. Won't immediately use a new costume or clothing set, but instead will preserve it for the right occasion. Prefers strict business or classical styles. Pays particular attention to the cleanliness of shoes.

In communication, the LSE seeks to show kindness and sense of humor. Demonstrates his good predisposition and positive emotions, though sometimes does so too abruptly. Becomes very hot tempered during arguments and disputes. When he is overtaken by emotions, he no longer hears the opinions of others and stubbornly insists on his own view point. Never openly admits that he was wrong. However, if a person remains discreet and restrained, and does not submit to his pressuring, he becomes more attentive and cautious. Can curb and restrain his own emotions by willful effort as well. Very much dislikes it when someone else interferes in his affairs or forces him to redo his work. At such times can flare up, start throwing objects, sharply turn around and leave.
    -