Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dating Your Identical

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Dating Your Identical

Thoughts? Experiences?

Does it challenge you to use your inferior functions more or do you just end up ignoring them and living in a fantasy land of your shared main functions?
    i.e. do you become more well rounded as an individual instead of getting that stuff from your dual? Or do you become one of those couples that look like each other and never see anyone else and never confront your weaknesses? Or worse, fall into a bickering mess because the other one can't help you with your pain points?

How much worse does this get if they are the same enneagram type (mb even the same tritype) as you?

asking for a friend
    "I take back like half of the exclamation points.....they make me look....eager to please. Which I AM....but I don't want anyone to KNOW that"
    - Carrie Fisher

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I haven't exactly dated my female LIE identicals, but I have spent time with two of them over a period of years. One of them was a woman who used to run a division of GE, and was going back to school to get a PhD in Optical Sciences. We worked on a project together, and we were so sympatico it was amazing. She was on her second marriage and I was newly divorced, so we didn't exactly look at each other as prospective partners, but we gave each other a lot of support and made a powerful team.
    The only points of friction between us were political. She was a strong conservative who believed in conspiracy theories, and I'm a liberal who doesn't. As long as we avoided talking about that, we got along great. Other people would comment that they could not believe that either she or I could sit next to the other for hours at a time, for months on end, and not kill each other. I'm not sure why they thought we would kill each other, but we got along great.

The other LIE female whom I know is 36 and newly separated from her ex. I find her to be smart and a lot of fun and we talk at least once a week. We have been getting along great for about five years now. We are easily able to teach each other what we each know, but we can't really help the other person because our approach to problem-solving is identical. She has the luxury (as do I) of working with a same-sex dual, and so we are both able to compare how we relate to each other to how we relate to our duals. And frankly, while I understand her perfectly (and vice-versa), and while we have both admitted to each other that we've given some thought to just jumping into bed with the other just for the hell of it, we both came to the same conclusion (independently) that that would be a bad idea. Basically, talking to her is like talking to myself, except she's better looking.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's good. Go for it! All quadra relations should be considered good. You feel at home, and you can discover new things about yourself with the help of your identical. Lots of people marry their identical. The downside of identity is that in the long run it can be a little boring and there is a lack of real chemistry on type level, and also the lack of support.

I've dated Harmonizing and Creative SEI.

Subtype matters as always. All fruitful identical relations I know are either D+N or H+C.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Basically, talking to her is like talking to myself, except she's better looking.
    Same for me with the female LIE I know best. She's the best friend of my wife ftr. In her case, we're also the same age.

I have a lot of LIE friends, male and female, but I can't see how we could date successfully over the long term. They're great friends though. It's obviously the 2nd best relationship after duality.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Basically, talking to her is like talking to myself, except she's better looking.
    haha this is exactly my situation! Male mrrrmaid but a much fitter body and a dreamy bone structure (though I have seen a picture of him from when he was 14/15 when he still had a softer, boyish face and then he looks exactly like a male mrrrmaid ).

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    It's good. Go for it! All quadra relations should be considered good. You feel at home, and you can discover new things about yourself with the help of your identical. Lots of people marry their identical. The downside of identity is that in the long run it can be a little boring and there is a lack of real chemistry on type level, and also the lack of support.

I've dated Harmonizing and Creative SEI.

Subtype matters as always. All fruitful identical relations I know are either D+N or H+C.
    yeah a combination of this and what Adam said are what I thought. That there would be a problem with support and problem solving. I figured if I did just go for it I'd have to not expect any of that from him and then either seek it from dual / activity friends or from within myself. I always thought (even before socionics - though this gave me language for what I'd theorised) that the lack of complimenting difference would make for a terrible relationship but I started thinking recently that it might be doable to supplement this elsewhere. Did you find that was the case with you?
    "I take back like half of the exclamation points.....they make me look....eager to please. Which I AM....but I don't want anyone to KNOW that"
    - Carrie Fisher

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would. I think duals are better left for long term, non-romantic relations.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

They can be quite different from you. One ILE I know was into raising a family and stuff. Person went by the societal expectations. This has never been my story. However we seem to just look at stuff through similar lens and value the similar vagueness that might produce new avenues in stuff.

I suppose I have quite mindset compared to the other. I'm much more of a common fool/have much more spontaneity and so on. Pick your poison.
    You can not really tell by type that you look the same as the contrast can be huge on the surface but very similar in terms of informational reactivity to certain stuff etc.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I know LSE girl. I may respect and trust her, but I doubt in having emotional inspiration what I seek in romances the most. She've chosen F type for the marriage and I always prefered F types women.
    It should be boring without suggestive support. Closer to a cooperation, than to love.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    They can be quite different from you.
    especially when you mistype yourself and others

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    I know LSE girl. I may respect and trust her, but I doubt in having emotional inspiration what I seek in romances the most. She've chosen F type for the marriage and I always prefered F types women.
    It should be boring without suggestive support. Closer to a cooperation, than to love.

especially when you mistype yourself and others
    I find your consultation service mb bit b0rked.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Chae times two is some fucking chaos

I say the whole thing won't be nowhere near as annoying if it's 2 integrating (!) types, not double extro ethics in particular.

Double 4D is only less tolerable if they are both like Doctor Strange. Other than that... say LIE x LIE or ILE x ILE probably build a space ship and that's it, no drama. So yeah, the base functions will intensify

Nevertheless, I can envision intro-identical couples, take EII x EII, really be a wholesome and durable experience, just with double issues but they won't see it. The only problem's gonna be that they would like the other to be like Te-Si, maybe without being able to explain it, and falling short either way.

Enneagram— I remember reading that 3s don't like each other because we see through each other's impostor syndrome, can confirm.

Put me together with Zac Efron, no couple around would be as shallow. We'd become more well-rounded in terms of refining our vanity and fake public image.

Long story short, combining two similar negatives, things will get stronger anyways. Stay away from identicals if you have reasons to fix yourself, it only gets worse. If you like yourself, go for it.

PS: Trying to think of well-known identical couples but it seems to be a rare deal among the rich and famous?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post

I say the whole thing won't be nowhere near as annoying if it's 2 integrating (!) types, not double extro ethics in particular.

Double 4D is only less tolerable if they are both like Doctor Strange. Other than that... say LIE x LIE or ILE x ILE probably build a space ship and that's it, no drama. So yeah, the base functions will intensify

Nevertheless, I can envision intro-identical couples, take EII x EII, really be a wholesome and durable experience, just with double issues but they won't see it. The only problem's gonna be that they would like the other to be like Te-Si, maybe without being able to explain it, and falling short either way.

Enneagram— I remember reading that 3s don't like each other because we see through each other's impostor syndrome, can confirm.

Put me together with Zac Efron, no couple around would be as shallow. We'd become more well-rounded in terms of refining our vanity and fake public image.

Long story short, combining two similar negatives, things will get stronger anyways. Stay away from identicals if you have reasons to fix yourself, it only gets worse. If you like yourself, go for it.

PS: Trying to think of well-known identical couples but it seems to be a rare deal among the rich and famous?

yes! one thing I thought about was probably I shouldn't date him / any identical right now since we're both in our mid-twenties and have a lot of developing to do. So we would be combining our very obvious negatives (both overly sensitive, anxious and reactive or, in other words, both have 4 & 6 in our tritype). Both yearning for some sort of stability and not going to find it in each other. But also there is that Introverted Ethical wholesomeness of "wow! the world is scary and no one gets me but you." Whether it's good to have that worldview reinforced is probably the bigger question haha.
    - Carrie Fisher

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think kindred is more exciting.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When you 69 with an identical, they become your quasi-identical.

TIM
    INTp 5
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My two possible types (hopefully) are ILI and LII. While two LIIs might not be terrible in theory, two ILIs seems like it'd be doomed.
    ----- FarDraft, 2020

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post

Close, @Chae. The other LIE and I built a system for identifying spy satellites from multiple ground stations. And no drama. We designed it, had it built, tested it and it worked. Exactly as planned.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The LIIs (also EIIs) that I've met have all had sibling-like feels to them, and for the occasions when there might have been initial attractions, the feelings seemed to grow platonic quite quickly......

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    The LIIs (also EIIs) that I've met have all had sibling-like feels to them, and for the occasions when there might have been initial attractions, the feelings seemed to grow platonic quite quickly......

a.k.a. I/O
    I know an LII who just met a woman (he's been married and divorced and has had multiple GF's, none of whom lasted longer that two years) and he told me a month ago that he and she were at a stage in their relationship after one week that the others had not reached after a couple months. I wonder if he's met an identical? (I haven't met her.)

I've seen LII's fall for SLI's, LSE's, and ILI's, but only once for an ESE (and that didn't last). I need to ask him if he has a picture of her.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pixel View Post
    I think kindred is more exciting.
    Sounds like endlessly polishing debate over useless things while you agree with the foundation... at least to me.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    Sounds like endlessly polishing debate over useless things while you agree with the foundation... at least to me.
    I was in one and yup pretty much. We understand each other so well but feel like "Wow we are different."

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrrrmaid View Post
    I always thought (even before socionics - though this gave me language for what I'd theorised) that the lack of complimenting difference would make for a terrible relationship but I started thinking recently that it might be doable to supplement this elsewhere. Did you find that was the case with you?
    I just think it's a matter of adapting to your partner. That always happens. So I don't see it as a problem. I am not that much for engineering these things. But I do think that complementary subtype is important (also for identicals), but otherwise I'd say all quadra relations (+ semidual) are compatible. But duality is the most romantic and interesting, in my experience.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I just think it's a matter of adapting to your partner. That always happens. So I don't see it as a problem. I am not that much for engineering these things. But I do think that complementary subtype is important (also for identicals), but otherwise I'd say all quadra relations (+ semidual) are compatible. But duality is the most romantic and interesting, in my experience.
    @Tallmo, Which subtypes do you consider to be complementary?

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Tallmo, Which subtypes do you consider to be complementary?
    The same old DCNH thing: D+N and C+H. But people tend to go for these combinations anyway, so knowledge of DCNH is not really necessary. The world is full of D+N couples, I see them every day.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The same old DCNH thing: D+N and C+H. But people tend to go for these combinations anyway, so knowledge of DCNH is not really necessary. The world is full of D+N couples, I see them every day.
    I see. Thanks.

I'm not looking for any type (even in-quadra) other than ESI's, and I think ESI's are mostly N-types, so I should be fine.
    (I'm just trying to narrow it down to either ESI-Se or ESI-Fi, and possibly enneatype compatibility.)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Two INFJ are dating at work right now but like Socionics says they are like brother and sister since they can relate to one another’s problems but can’t really help each other. I have very little to talk about with other INFJ and I very much enjoy the chatty nature of Estj when the go on and on about information no one asked them about and their comparison of electrons and pricing
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm sure that identical types can share the workload so in that sense can help one another. Establishing distinct roles where both feel like equal partners can be rather complicated but doable; familiarity's the potential enemy in that each may be able to overly scrutinize the other's contribution to the relationship and cause death by a thousand cuts. As dull as conversations may eventually get, there shouldn't be much standing in the way of successful long-term cooperation although some people can make mountains out of molehills. Starting such relationships (and initially getting around the sibling feel) may be far more difficult than actually keeping them going when one considers that boring predictability eventually enters every relationship.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've seen some Identical couples.

There were three in Alpha, a male-female SEI-Si couple, and two LII-LII couples. I suspect that LII-LII is more common than any other Identical pairing, mainly because e5 understands and values e5.

One in Beta: An IEI-IEI couple. I suspect that this pairing is common, but I only know of one.

Three in Gamma: All ESI-ESI, although sometimes the sub-types would be different.

None that I know of in Delta.

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're good for friendship only, there's no chemistry only easiness and lots of understanding and some occasional fun
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heard these relations are competitive.

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't tried, but suspect it would ultimately feel like psychological drowning.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We would end up homeless and dead at an early age most likely lol
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always found my identicals attractive, after all, we have so much in common. But it would never actually work out as @aster pointed out.

The attraction and romance between two EIEs would be amour fou. It would likely start and end quickly and intensely, and some highs and lows in between.

It may be a better idea if you were young

TIM
    ILI-Ni E6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

being fully understood is more valuable to me than being completed or satisfied or whatever duality is supposed to grant. I'm more drawn to Ni egos than Se. I really admire Ses but realistically I don't think it could ever work, a 4D Ni with a 1D Ni for a life time sounds like you'd be better off dying alone. imo identical and kindred are more realistic than duality

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I had lunch yesterday with an old friend at his house. Both he and his wife of 22 years are ESEs. They seem to be very supportive of each other and while it was obvious that neither of them were very good with Ti logic, they have a beautiful house and yard and they served an attractive and healthy lunch.

Both had been previously married; her to a reactionary Republican and he to a woman he met in a bookstore and started a liberal press company with. She divorced because her previous husband’s politics were repellent to her, and he divorced because, he said, he didn’t love his first wife enough.

They seemed pretty happy with each other. It was a relationship built entirely from feels and from doing the right social things.

All is not perfect in Identical Land, though. I went over there to buy a telescope that he had inherited and while he and I are Super-Ego and have never been close, and he has expressed disapproval of my drinking and choice of GFs, we got to talking about the world and politics and his wife invited me to stay for lunch, because “this is the most intellectually stimulating conversation we’ve had in a long time”.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 09-13-2021 at 01:01 PM.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ori View Post
    being fully understood is more valuable to me than being completed or satisfied or whatever duality is supposed to grant. I'm more drawn to Ni egos than Se. I really admire Ses but realistically I don't think it could ever work, a 4D Ni with a 1D Ni for a life time sounds like you'd be better off dying alone. imo identical and kindred are more realistic than duality

Identity is really nice. I agree. Duality might seem unrealistic if you haven't been there, but it is pretty common and I've met ILI-SEE couples who are madly in love. I also know several dual couples who have been together for decades. Socionics is right about duality imo, but I don't see it as the "perfect" relationship. It might feel like that in the beginning when the dual chemistry it strong, but it's hard to develop yourself with a dual. They get very dependent on each other, and they like it. But you pay a price for that.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really find myself being attracted to SEIs much...friendship sure but idk about dating one. But never say never.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may have dated my identical. I enjoyed it and we get along very well. There's a strong mutual understanding of one another and I feel more encouraged to utilize my weaker functions around her without any need of having to use lead functions consciously.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Haha I made this thread for a specific crush I had lol
    never ended up dating him so I have nothing to report back
    have been thinking it would be nice to date an identical or similar type lately as there is less psychological distance to cross than with a dual / activity. But I think there would also be a lack of stimulation like Adam suggested.
    I always found it sort of creepy when couples look / act like each other
    - Carrie Fisher

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SaveYourself View Post
    Haha I made this thread for a specific crush I had lol
    never ended up dating him so I have nothing to report back

This is what happens when two victims like each other lol.

Always waiting for the other to make a move.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    This is what happens when two victims like each other lol.

Always waiting for the other to make a move.
    lol this is too real
    - Carrie Fisher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast