Thread: What's worse; to lack a heart or a soul?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What's worse; to lack a heart or a soul?

Please reason your position.

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni VLEF
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the worst would be to lack a heart - because a heart is a very important organ and without it we'd die.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm interested in the question of whether souls exist. Maybe not in the religious that's-what-enters-heaven sense, but I do think we have a unique spark that can't quite be explained by biology.

Anyway I'd say heart because of what @queentiger said and because most people unquestioningly have at least a little soft spot.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is a soul?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To lack heart. It's the lack of heart that causes people to commit evil deeds and hurting the people around them. It's the lack of heart that gives birth to serial killers, murderers, and rapists.

Lacking soul isn't as important, because one can always create their own soul by increasing your value, e.g, improving the stuff you are weak at and becoming the best version of yourself would help to increase your value which in turn helps you to create your own soul.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It depends on what you mean by "soul".

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Soulless, soulful, that music touches my soul" etc

Soul means that a person has an inner depth. He is not just a shell, a robotic person. Its a phenomenological concept.

I dont think there is any problem understanding what it means. We use these words all the time
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    FLVE
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a lot of people see them as synonymous.
    The great Zen master Zhuang Zhou dreamt that he was a butterfly. When he awoke, he asked himself, "Am I a man who just dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly who now dreams about being a man?"

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The original question should have been Heart or Brain.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Soul View Post
    To lack heart. It's the lack of heart that causes people to commit evil deeds and hurting the people around them. It's the lack of heart that gives birth to serial killers, murderers, and rapists.

Lacking soul isn't as important, because one can always create their own soul by increasing your value, e.g, improving the stuff you are weak at and becoming the best version of yourself would help to increase your value which in turn helps you to create your own soul.
    Concerning other people, it's worse to lack a heart, but for oneself, it's worse to lack a a soul.

Another angle, which would be a worse punishment?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Figuratively speaking, your heart is your conscience and your soul is your consciousness IMO. Every living thing has a soul because every living thing has a consciousness. However, not every living thing has a conscience. Psychopaths are born without a heart (conscience) even though they have a soul (consciousness). The vast majority of people are born with a conscience, but a good percentage of them have a sick one due to being traumatised during childhood.

Anyways, most people have a conscience and a good chunk of them have damaged consciences from poor upbringings. Also, everyone has a soul because every living thing has a consciousness. Anyways, my point is lacking a soul is not possible if you define a soul as consciousness and a heart as a conscience, but lacking a heart is possible. However, everyone defines heart and soul differently leading to different interpretations.
    Last edited by Raver; 05-10-2019 at 04:12 AM.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Your soul because it is your soul that determines what you get, the person that you are
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A soul is more permanent than a heart, so you’d be better off to have a soul. Just think, vampires are supppsed to be soulless...

However, if you have a corrupt soul, maybe you could be better off without it.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can’t help myself

♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If soul is empathy,goodwill,etc. and heart is emotion,passion,etc, it's clear to me soul is preferable to heart.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

flipped the question to test it. what's better to have, heart or soul? heart for me.

invokes countless straightforward, positive qualities. soul feels more subtle and lyrical. would hurt less to lack. better to be soulless than heartless. few people would like a heartless person but might feel neutral about a soulless one.

add that heart is very integral/central in nature (as in actual biology, powering the system). heart is an energy source. i enjoy that idea. it's something essential other things rely on.

even as a chef i would decide this way. love hearty meals woop

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is semantics without an established baseline.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roger557 View Post
    Please reason your position.
    this is a ridiculous question because life requires the unity of body-soul-spirit. Every man has all three and they are dependent on each other. As well, the soul is said to be centered in the heart.
    I would suppose that in the afterlife one no longer has a heart because you don't have a physical body at all, but in this life both are literally essential.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Heart because souls dont exist in 2019

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

well... you need at least one heart, one brain and one a-hole. So(u)l is not in required.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org