Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the delta NFs and foul language

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

deltas I know swear less than the betas I know on average.

betas I know from Baptist High School swear less than deltas I know from NYC.

Stereotype is valid and useful; understanding mitigating factors (and using stereotype as a general guideline rather than a rule) is essential.

I throw around cuss words rather blithely at this point. I'm nowhere near as bad as my SEE little brother, who mostly swears at people on xbox live, but is way more vulgar than I am. I use "goddamit" and "motherfuck" as expressions of mild irritation. Also, I use more curse words when talking/thinking to myself than in conversation with others. Also I like to curse a lot in improv, for some reason.

I tend to think words mean whatever you intend for them to mean at the moment... I've never used a curse word to actually mean something cruel. If I were actually pissed at someone, I think I would swear less... well, it depends. If it were an emotional confrontation, I would swear less. If it was more of an aggressive confrontation, leaning physical, I would swear more...

I still can't make up my mind about whether my mother is IEE or EIE, but she used to curse a lot until my little brother complained about it (at like age four or something), and now she curses a LOT less (like pretty rarely).
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    I'm getting that impression as well. fwiw I think it's perfectly find if ryu has specific preferences and what not in what he expects from women, particularly Delta NF's females, but I'm very much put off by any suggestion that those tastes should be indicative of type
    i'm glad you said this because i want to clarify that my irritation wasn't about what i get the impression ryu is attracted to-- if somebody wants a stepford wife, or if somebody else wants a sex slave, or if somebody else wants a sugar momma, it really isn't any of my business. what bothers me is the extrapolating to type and the fact that this creates misinformation and confusion, imo. and really strange expectations for what it means to be delta NF.

also, you can see my posting history for a good indication of how often i swear, which isn't much. but if i wanted to start cursing like a sailor and still call myself EII, then i'd like the freedom to do so, heh. maybe cliche, but dislike of boxes and all that.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    yes, same

I don't have a tendency to drop the swear bombs in general conversations, but it comes out in random releases of frustrations.
    But in all fairness I do find it rather off-putting when people do seem to swear a lot for no apparent reason, it makes me think they're aggressive, lack confidence thus feel need to puff themselves up or just plain ignorant

I'm getting that impression as well. fwiw I think it's perfectly find if ryu has specific preferences and what not in what he expects from women, particularly Delta NF's females, but I'm very much put off by any suggestion that those tastes should be indicative of type

on a personal note, I despise gender stereotypes only second to racial ones, they should die in a fire
    Hahaha, I you.

I don't think his "bake me brownies" comments should be taken seriously. It seems more like a running joke.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    I don't think his "bake me brownies" comments should be taken seriously. It seems more like a running joke.
    the joke would probably be funnier to me if it wasn't for the other things he often says about delta NFs, like this.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to hate to swear. It was so rare for me to say anything like that, people would have me say a cuss word to entertain them.

My parents (Alpha) would swear sometimes, and I would judge them (silently) for it.

Now, most of my friends don't swear, and I do kind of enjoy throwing in a word here or there for dramatic affect. My ISTP doesn't like it. But I do.

I get bored sometimes and just need to shake things up. For this reason, I really enjoy Betas at times like that, as it is fun to break the rules. Not all Betas swear though...

I don't really judge people who cuss anymore. I really enjoy saying "f'n bastards" or something like that from time to time.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a question for deltas: have you ever chided anyone for swearing?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, i just make them feel embarrassed because I dont swear back. Well, sometimes i will even laugh at the swear words; sometimes when it's done for effect, it is funny.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    I used to hate to swear. It was so rare for me to say anything like that, people would have me say a cuss word to entertain them.

My parents (Alpha) would swear sometimes, and I would judge them (silently) for it.

Now, most of my friends don't swear, and I do kind of enjoy throwing in a word here or there for dramatic affect. My ISTP doesn't like it. But I do.

I get bored sometimes and just need to shake things up. For this reason, I really enjoy Betas at times like that, as it is fun to break the rules. Not all Betas swear though...

I don't really judge people who cuss anymore. I really enjoy saying "f'n bastards" or something like that from time to time.
    I relate a lot, especially to the old you.

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do actually swear sometimes, but not a great deal, dropping things for example and occasionally to emphasise something or in humour. I also definitely go through phases. Vulgar humour I find distasteful mostly, it's probably what I have most difficulty with. I find some swear words such as the C word still have their place though... I think par of the reason I dislike some swear words is because they are often insulting towards women, when a feminist uses the C word in a poetry piece though, that can have meaning and I understand it.

In an odd contradictory way I think swear words are given too much power by being slightly 'naughty' the same as other words i.e racial slurs, sometimes I almost want to overturn this and make the words themselves seem unimportant by wearing them out to take their power away. But I do realise then that other new 'offensive' words will take their place.

So anyway, vulgar profanities are probably worse for me than some curse words. Corse or base language used lightly without meaning.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*chuckles* I somewhat recently came across a video where this woman was talking about a man that she had typed ; one of the reasons for this is that among other things (such as attention to etiquette), he was not into swearing. And seriously, my kneejerk reaction was to stare at the screen and say, "What the fuck?!"
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    No, i just make them feel embarrassed because I dont swear back. Well, sometimes i will even laugh at the swear words; sometimes when it's done for effect, it is funny.
    how would you proceed about making them feel embarrassed?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddly McFluffles View Post
    *chuckles* I somewhat recently came across a video where this woman was talking about a man that she had typed ; one of the reasons for this is that among other things (such as attention to etiquette), he was not into swearing. And seriously, my kneejerk reaction was to stare at the screen and say, "What the fuck?!"
    "what the fuck" would have been my reaction too to anyone saying that Fi blocks out words like "fuck" and "cunt" from his vision and lexicon. that's remarkably stupid.

gamma types don't have the same stereotypes, however, so does this stereotype come from Se rather than Fi?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevero View Post
    how would you proceed about making them feel embarrassed?
    well i dont do anything. I just dont use the swear words.Some may not notice, but some will take the hint and not be so foul-mouthed around me

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't swear very often, and if I do swear it's mainly just:

shit
    damnit
    Jesus Christ (which apple just autocorrected and made uppercase.)
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    I don't swear very often, and if I do swear it's mainly just:

shit
    damnit
    Jesus Christ (which apple just autocorrected and made uppercase.)

lol those dont count!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol those dont count!
    ha, what would count?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ha, what would count?
    wait, are you trying to get me to swear?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wait, are you trying to get me to swear?
    of course not, i'm only asking for some examples of what delta would consider to be swearing [innocent]

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

of course not, i'm only asking for some examples of what delta would consider to be swearing [innocent]
    I'm just pulling your leg.

well, like the f word, b word, a-word. i guess the sh- word would be one too (it gets so overused i'm a little desensitized to that one; i prefer the word poop or stool or bowel mvmt), but foul language choices aside, in general a poop reference in non-poop related convo seems gross to me. I do often say shoot in settings where people might use "sh---"

those are the ones i can think of right now.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I say "ass" too, now that I think of it. As in, "Stop being an ass." Though very often I say, "You're being a butt" instead. They mean the same thing but people laugh instead of getting offended if you tell them not to be a butt, but they still hear that they're being an ass.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

usually when I swear in anger I stutter...I guess it is fairly unnatural for me so in such instances it's a way of showing I'm particularly bothered. I might say things like "What the fuck did you do that for?" or "What the damn bloody hell do you think you are playing at?" (although I wouldn't consider that one swearing.

"shit" is a word I commonly use when talking with others colloquially...also the word "bastard", typically in the context of talking of "...the bastards".

"Christ!" has been a favourite while others are laughing at me while have a mild heart attack, which used to happen quite often, apparently due to anxiety. The character of Alan Statham in Green Wing was a great inspiration to me in regards swearing style: ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRZaaCypZqo )

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    usually when I swear in anger I stutter...I guess it is fairly unnatural for me so in such instances it's a way of showing I'm particularly bothered. I might say things like "What the fuck did you do that for?" or "What the damn bloody hell do you think you are playing at?" (although I wouldn't consider that one swearing.

"shit" is a word I commonly use when talking with others colloquially...also the word "bastard", typically in the context of talking of "...the bastards".
    lol all great examples

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    deltas I know swear less than the betas I know on average.
    question for @Slacker @Subteigh @Geminatronix @Kim @WorkaholicsAnon and anyone else typing into delta - is this so? do you think other types swear more frequently in comparison to deltas?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol all great examples

question for @Slacker @Subteigh @Geminatronix @Kim @WorkaholicsAnon and anyone else typing into delta - is this so? do you think other types swear more frequently in comparison to deltas?
    Maybe applies more to (some) delta NF's . The delta STs i know swear like sailors.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it makes me uncomfortable that delta NF is being = prissy uptight female.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I curse, within the right context. Not overtly, but isn't something that I'd feel conscious need to repress out of some sense of altruistic duty - if it feels right, I'll say it. What I would find distasteful on my part would be talking about how I shoved my c down a b's throat, etc. or anything that get's too candid for no good reason and just seems like you're trying too hard or have some sort of napoleon complex. It's funny to watch other people do it though, if that's their natural way of communicating. If I do get offended, it's less about the cursing specifically and more about the fact that the person's a fucking idiot.
    Last edited by suedehead; 04-26-2014 at 08:01 PM.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    You mean you aren't?
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am neither prissy nor uptight. I just don't swear a whole lot. I'm not bothered by it or upset by it.

Edited to add that my sister actually is a prissy uptight delta NF though. LOL.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He looks a bit prissy and uptight.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think i swear a lot, i'm not sure. i was going through a phase, after highschool ended, when i started swearing a lot on purpose so i could break out of everyone else's expectations but mostly just break out of my own. up until i graduated i had created so many rules for myself that didn't really benefit me in any way, except tie me in tighter and tighter into complacency; don't swear, don't wear sunglasses, don't roll up your sleeves, loosen your tie or unbutton your collar, don't smoke, don't laugh out loudly, don't have fun. i felt suffocated and somehow saying "FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKER" felt really liberating (note: i didn't actually say this, it was more like gingerly whispering out one or two curse words every few days until i became comfortable with it). it was exciting to finally not be a stick in the mud, and feel normal for once. and so i learned a lot, in uni, and i broke out of a lot of the expectations of what I could be or had to be, and just became me engulfed in life and everything that is without judgment, without feeling shallow, superficial, guilty, immoral or selfish for accepting myself.

anyway, yeah. type descriptions often feel like they're cut-out specifically for teenagers, at least for EII.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    My comment was not gender specific.
    ime even female delta STs swear a lot
    and yes obv some delta NF do take to swearing (a little). My sister, who types EII, has started utilizing a few swear words now in her 30s. I was surprised.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I swear like a motherfucking sailor after six years with an Se-SLE. Bloody bastard.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I swear like a motherfucking sailor after six years with an Se-SLE. Bloody bastard.

You're right, i guess how much people swear depends on outside influences too.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and yes obv some delta NF do take to swearing (a little)
    excuse me

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swearing amount and type (like any value, habit, and language usage) would be heavily influenced by one's environment and reaction to their environment. Like how much a person cares about the judgments/impressions of others, how much a person cares about the value and preferences of an other, how they themselves feel about the words, how many times they've been forced to eat soap, or beaten, or high-5’d, etc. And generally how often they've heard certain words, and in what contexts, and whether an eye was even batted at a word being used.

All this will change depending on familial culture, educational settings, friends hanging out with, prominent role models, religious upbringing, etc. Socionics type might influence how we respond to these influences, but socionics type doesn't define the specifics of these influences.

And just because a Delta NF might be an E2 type, doesn't mean all Delta NFs will act as E2 types.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been fighting the temptation to unleash invective upon this thread.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Swearing amount and type (like any value, habit, and language usage) would be heavily influenced by one's environment and reaction to their environment. Like how much a person cares about the judgments/impressions of others, how much a person cares about the value and preferences of an other, how they themselves feel about the words, how many times they've been forced to eat soap, or beaten, or high-5’d, etc. And generally how often they've heard certain words, and in what contexts, and whether an eye was even batted at a word being used.

All this will change depending on familial culture, educational settings, friends hanging out with, prominent role models, religious upbringing, etc. Socionics type might influence how we respond to these influences, but socionics type doesn't define the specifics of these influences.

And just because a Delta NF might be an E2 type, doesn't mean all Delta NFs will act as E2 types.

I agree 100%.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast