Thread: SEEs being copycats - ESFp

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SEEs being copycats - ESFp

Is it typical for SEEs to adopt the methods of others and then act like they are their own?
    I was watching @Contra's video on Any Schumer borrowing jokes and saw that my SIL behaves the same. She borrows a recipe or DYI project from a family member. Next meeting she acts like that recipe or DYI is her own, never giving credit to the family member she borrowed it from. Is this an ESFp trait?

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Amy even aware she is doing it?

Welcome to collective consciousness 101. Are your ideas, your ideas?

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As to the OP, yeah maybe. If you noticed it I wonder if others have as well. good question.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if this is type related but I had an SEE friend who did the same and the never giving credit to others is what greatly annoyed me about her. I always clash with this variety of SEEs because they're pretentious.
    I know other SEEs who are not like this though (guys mostly).
    Last edited by Kernel; 02-02-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have a guy who copies me at school and by copy I mean style (compliments me on jacket, week later shows up in one just like it) and will repeat stuff I said earlier as if it were his own. I think it goes to mobilizing Te in some sense, being semi conscious, which goes to Wacey's point. I don't think they fully realize it and I know I've been guilty of it in the past. I like to think of it as having a quiver full of arrows I've picked up a long the way that I pull out as needed. It just takes on an ethical coloring rather than a more logic based toolkit which makes it a little weird in the context of Fi because its like aren't you supposed to be unique? I think the idea is its the overall synthesis that lends it any uniqueness and everyone appropriates stuff in their own way just not always so blatantly. In the end its the whole self that picks and chooses and hangs onto or discards things, so they end up being unique even in their plagiarism

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband being a likely EXFp earned from me a nickname of the Cuckoo right near the beginning of our relationship as he happily (without realising he said) took all of my thoughts and ideas as his own.
    He has learnt to now give credit where it is due.

I chose the name cuckoo way back then as cuckoos can lay eggs in another bird’s nest with her eggs and not give any credit back to the bird who does all of the work.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you not flattered and bemused by it?

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Probs the weak , or PoLR not rearranging things into a framework so it makes sense for themselves and it's not all verbatim from another. Though giving credit probably isn't sociotype-related?

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am genuinely flattered by my imitator, but at the same time there's a part of me that's annoyed, although I'm not sure I wouldn't be more annoyed were I to get zero positive feedback. I guess in the end I want positive feedback but I want it on my terms which is where some of the ambivalence comes from

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well that's just a little grain of pride and conceit

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Are you not flattered and bemused by it?
    Was this meant for me to respond to? If so then...

At times it was a bit of a complement in various ways I guess but often it wasn’t too much of one.

It also wasn’t just me that husband did/does this to as it’s truly been a part of him and he’s more aware now and thankfully works it out more.
    He would even present my own ideas back to me like they were his or he heard it ‘somewhere’ or from ‘someone’ and I would say something like ‘that was my idea/that was what I talked to you about/mentioned’.
    He sometimes would look perplexed or say that he didn’t know where he got the idea from or even insist the idea generated from a conversation with someone else he talked to or so and so said it he thought but now that I mention it he wasn’t sure.

...so more frustrating at times than complimentary.

It was never a real concern though.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Eddie Murphy plays himself, the barber, and both guys playing checkers

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Aren't all humans copycats, mimickers and or social/ideology conformers; there are very, very few that can innovate beyond what they have been taught by others. And, insight and genius are not type related.

a.k.a. I/O
    Last edited by Rebelondeck; 02-04-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, it depends on the extent of it. The behaviour is not the problem, it's why they're doing it that matters. Are they capable of self-reflecting? Because I know a SEE who did this kind of thing for attention and her intentions always seemed quite obvious, a byproduct of insecurity. She never developed her own personality or thought process. She always wanted to fit in, but at the same time be admired by everyone. Is that unhealthy Fi?

Otherwise, @Rebelondeck is right on the money.

Ideas come from other ideas, thoughts and insights. That's creativity.

Someone can take what you say and fit it into their own context. They can reach the same conclusion as you, but for an entirely different purpose to yours.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Amy Shumer was SLE. She seems more bets than gamma from what I’ve seen of her.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

^ She could be either SLE or SEE, but I think she played against an ILI in the movie Trainwreck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_KP9x80Z9Q
    Plus, she doesn't seem to have the Fi-PoLR that SLE's have.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Not ime. My SEE-Se friend wasnt a copycat (not what I'd call a copycat at least). But she was easily influenced by ppl in some instances. All kind of risky/dangerous activities was included. It had an especial attraction in her.
    Anyway, she could change her wardrobe or adapt trends to her own if it liked her o she admired someone, or simply to try something different.

The other SEE males I know arent copycats either (at least not with me).

But I had a friend EII who was a serial copycat. It reached pretty unhealthy levels (I in fact think she was in love/obsessed with me and not just because of her copying me but because other things she did too). Anyway, envy or need to fit in are the two reasons for copycats imo. I suppose in general it depends on the person and the context more than types.
    Last edited by Hope; 02-09-2018 at 06:17 PM.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was reading this and thinking, nah, no way, I am actually aware of this and give credit where it's due, but then I read this...
    He would even present my own ideas back to me like they were his or he heard it ‘somewhere’ or from ‘someone’ and I would say something like ‘that was my idea/that was what I talked to you about/mentioned’.
    ... and yep. I do this exact thing. It's not conscious. I only become aware I do it once someone points out that I am literally repeating their idea back to them. I have a theory as to why this happens:

The data I gather from the world goes into one big pile. I can't sort it through while it's going on, as there's always something else to take notice of. At some later point during the day, after an activity has ended, after I'm finished with my work, when I'm relaxing -- that's the time when all the ephemera I've taken notice of during the day and stored in that big "for later use" pile start getting filtered through. It's like sorting a pile of laundry and dividing it by colours: useful, not useful, interesting. Attaching Fi values to things, basically. The reactions I do have during the day, because I'm not a blank slate, are from things that have previously been filtered through and I'm now utilising them... But to the point: in a big pile such of impressions, it's hard to tell where those impressions have specifically come from. I take an idea from the interesting pile, and the pile is so big I can't really tell whether it came from one person or another. But that's not important, because it's interesting. So... I'm prone to repeat it to others without even knowing if it came from them or someone else

I guess the difference between someone self absorbed and someone more self aware is whether or not they apologize and explain they simply forgot, and then give credit where it's due.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by voider View Post
    I was reading this and thinking, nah, no way, I am actually aware of this and give credit where it's due, but then I read this...
    ... and yep. I do this exact thing. It's not conscious. I only become aware I do it once someone points out that I am literally repeating their idea back to them. I have a theory as to why this happens:

The data I gather from the world goes into one big pile. I can't sort it through while it's going on, as there's always something else to take notice of. At some later point during the day, after an activity has ended, after I'm finished with my work, when I'm relaxing -- that's the time when all the ephemera I've taken notice of during the day and stored in that big "for later use" pile start getting filtered through. It's like sorting a pile of laundry and dividing it by colours: useful, not useful, interesting. Attaching Fi values to things, basically. The reactions I do have during the day, because I'm not a blank slate, are from things that have previously been filtered through and I'm now utilising them... But to the point: in a big pile such of impressions, it's hard to tell where those impressions have specifically come from. I take an idea from the interesting pile, and the pile is so big I can't really tell whether it came from one person or another. But that's not important, because it's interesting. So... I'm prone to repeat it to others without even knowing if it came from them or someone else

I guess the difference between someone self absorbed and someone more self aware is whether or not they apologize and explain they simply forgot, and then give credit where it's due.
    @voider, this is a fantastic description of XXXp. Quoted for posterity.
    @Rebelondeck, have you seen this?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    @Rebelondeck, have you seen this?
    It's very applicable to all EXXps. The mechanism for IXXps seems to be different where they rationalize immediately and make decisions what they're going to do about things - which may be to use, discard or throw it in a pile. They tend to know and remember what's in the pile and how it could be potentially useful. EXXps can be somewhat slovenly not knowing where anything is whereas IXXps tend to be pack-rats - both approaches can seem similar but they're not.....

a.k.a. I/O
    Last edited by Rebelondeck; 02-05-2020 at 05:05 PM. Reason: lower-cased a "P"