Thread: Rationality Test

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Default Rationality Test

Something I found while lurking fb today. Took it at the same time as my brother and he got "detective". It is new to me but some of you might know it. It very superficially resembles MBTI but it isn't. People were trying to correlate with their types and it was kind of a mess. My results are due to other factors obviously but it was funny to see the label on mine.

http://programs.clearerthinking.org/..._the_test.html

Your Results

First, let's take a look at your across-the-board results. We'll get to your specific strengths and weaknesses in a moment. Your reasoning style is:
    Rationalist

Rationalists are excellent reasoners in all respects. They can cogently evaluate others' reasoning as well as their own whenever they choose to. They can also think fluidly about facts and figures, and they can evaluate and plan for the future with aplomb. They're rarely susceptible to the cognitive foibles that trip up others. When they apply themselves, Rationalists can master most cognitive tasks. Approximately 9% of the populace are Rationalists.

You are Reflective: You dislike jumping to conclusions quickly. You’re adept at reflecting on your own thoughts. When it looks like your intuitions might be leading you astray, you don’t have a problem overriding them — instead, you take the time to re-evaluate the situation and figure out the wisest course of action.

You are Quantitative: You’re good at working with numbers. Not in a schoolbook way, necessarily — you’re adept at putting this skill to use while solving problems in all manner of real-world situations.

You are Prepared: You tend to think clearly and comprehensively about the future. This makes you an excellent planner; you’re usually well prepared when you begin a new project, and you’re rarely caught by surprise.

You are Skeptical: You treat new information and ideas with caution and skepticism. Spurious arguments rarely fool or confuse you, and your beliefs are based on foundations of hard logic. You possess a fine-tuned BS detector.

Last edited by Aylen; 11-28-2017 at 07:13 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Executive

Executives tend to be people of vision. They consider their own ideas as carefully as they consider ideas that others put before them, and they're adept at organizing both types of thought into clear plans of action for the future. However, they often prefer to leave the nitty-gritty components of these plans to others. Approximately 4% of the populace are Executives.

You are Reflective: You dislike jumping to conclusions quickly. You’re adept at reflecting on your own thoughts. When it looks like your intuitions might be leading you astray, you don’t have a problem overriding them — instead, you take the time to re-evaluate the situation and figure out the wisest course of action.
    You are Subjective: People and stories interest you more than facts and figures do; you focus on the essence of ideas over the details. Your mind is more qualitative than quantitative. This trait lets you focus on the big picture over the nitty-gritty.
    You are Prepared: You tend to think clearly and comprehensively about the future. This makes you an excellent planner; you’re usually well prepared when you begin a new project, and you’re rarely caught by surprise.
    You are Skeptical: You treat new information and ideas with caution and skepticism. Spurious arguments rarely fool or confuse you, and your beliefs are based on foundations of hard logic. You possess a fine-tuned BS detector.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Hmmm

Free Spirit

Most Free Spirits like to seek out new experiences; they prefer to enjoy these experience on an emotional level without poring over or analyzing them. They tend to enjoy the more colorful and artistic parts of everyday life. Approximately 21% of the populace are Free Spirits.

You are Intuitive: You tend to trust your intuitions — you size up situations quickly and stick with your judgments once you’ve made them. This tendency can be useful when you need to think on your feet, or when you’re using a skill that you’ve already honed to perfection.

You are Subjective: People and stories interest you more than facts and figures do; you focus on the essence of ideas over the details. Your mind is more qualitative than quantitative. This trait lets you focus on the big picture over the nitty-gritty.

You are Carefree: You tend to live in the moment. You don’t waste a lot of emotional energy fretting about the future. Instead, you focus on getting the most out of life right now.

You are Open: You're not an aggressive skeptic or naysayer. You tend to consider information without immediately disputing it unless given clear reason to do so. Proving people wrong is not a high priority for you.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Probably cuz I usually want my money right away lol

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Haha I thought I had seen this before, and I remember I almost made a thread for it but decided against it because the test typed me weirdly :c

ah this result is much better than my previous one lol

Meditators often combine two features that are rarely seen together — a relaxed, big-picture worldview and a strong propensity to question their own judgments. This mixture inclines Meditators to ponder life's big questions, which they can consider in great depth if they choose. Approximately 6% of the populace are Meditators.

You are Carefree: You tend to live in the moment. You don’t waste a lot of emotional energy fretting about the future. Instead, you focus on getting the most out of life right now.
    You are Open: You're not an aggressive skeptic or naysayer. You tend to consider information without immediately disputing it unless given clear reason to do so. Proving people wrong is not a high priority for you.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah okay but like...45 $ or 90 $...in years time...is it a test for teenagers?

Btw, how did the firefighter die? I assumed smoke inhalation
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post

yeah, right? why hold out five years for another 40 bucks, or whatever it was...i felt like i was answering "wrong" when i said i wanted the money sooner though. like i was saying i had poor impulse control or something. but i feel like i could use the money now and maybe in several years i'll have a promotion or two and it'll mean even less to me.

i said smoke inhalation too. i thought it was the obvious answer and skimmed it again wondering if it was a trick question.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

45 million in 90 days or 90 million in one year 3 months? Considering you are not suffering so badly financially that you will starve or be ruined and healthy with no foreseeable reason to think it will change in that time. Don't answer it here though. Just something to think about.

Poor firefighter so tragic.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    45 million in 90 days or 90 million in one year 3 months? (
    It's a different question. That's why I asked if the test is for teenagers. The reference point for such questions should be placed above a person's monthly income (it's a well known fact in empirical economics...because for small sums the risk attitude is actually risk seeking - think about lotteries).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Skeptic

Skeptics are just that — skeptical. Not only do they question new information that they receive from others, but they also tend to treat their own thoughts and ideas with some suspicion. They tend to focus this critical perspective on the present, allowing their views to develop as they come across more information. Approximately 5% of the populace are Skeptics.

Click to share your results!

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Skeptic

Skeptics are just that — skeptical. Not only do they question new information that they receive from others, but they also tend to treat their own thoughts and ideas with some suspicion. They tend to focus this critical perspective on the present, allowing their views to develop as they come across more information. Approximately 5% of the populace are Skeptics.

Click to share your results!

fuck yeah man!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Skepsis; 11-28-2017 at 09:09 PM.

TIM
    SLI, 9-1
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that he died in his sleep from heart attack maybe...alone in a building, forgot his respirator- doesnt sound real.

TIM
    SLI, 9-1
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

j8PpiaA.jpg
    Inventors possess active, restless minds that constantly seek engagement. Their potent reasoning skills allow them to envision and realize complex ideas from beginning to end when they choose, and they're good at checking their own work for errors. Many of them prefer to create for the sheer joy of it. Approximately 3% of the populace are Inventors.

You are Quantitative: You’re good at working with numbers. Not in a schoolbook way, necessarily — you’re adept at putting this skill to use while solving problems in all manner of real-world situations.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Skeptic

Biases:
    #1 It really doesn't take into account whether those given biases were true. Like writing a paper. If you were sure without wishful thinking then maybe. I even made the same analysis but supposed that the person in question was not biased.
    #2 How is your financial situation? If money is not tight then it makes sense to postpone if you get more and hope for that devaluation does not affect too much. One could say investment but why bother.
    #3 I just gave some sort of money to task finishing robot out of curiosity not out of anguish.
    #4 I'm just too lazy for prizes. I don't care. Doesn't make me skeptical by default.
    #5 Putting things under analysis but not really knowing what qualitative answers meant. Like that sandwich stuff. I thought: I need more information. Answering blindly. I supposed that there were lots of factors out there and thought the result change wasn't that significant but my answer was suboptimal even when I went through same reasoning + some extra route.
    #n. other skeptical stuff

This test assumes too much.

I don't really know if I'm that skeptical. I'm just evaluating. BS detector could be fine tuned IMO. I'm here after all. The truth is just don't function to get my needs fulfilled, so.. Open and skeptical are not actually opposed to each other. Being susceptible to brainwashing is not a good sign but saying no is not good sign either. Why not just say: Let's find out!
    I'm not that people story focused either and it is rather clear. I'm more stronger when it comes to quantitative side.

The Sunk Cost Fallacy is a cognitive bias that can distort your decisions about which pursuits are worth continuing and which aren't. (Like whether to finish eating an unappetizing dish that you've already paid for, for example.)
    OMG people, context matters. If quantitative reasoning skill means by living with quantitative life style then you are dead wrong. Give yourself a break. Why not just try things. Be OPEN, sometimes even self-destructive just for fun. I'm not a robot!

On first question I answered movie theater just because LA sun is not that interesting. Why they can not generalize those.
    Like:
    You don't like something you are doing
    1. You continue
    2. You do something else

2 is obvious but LA sun sounds so stupid alternative. Besides I like analyzing crappy things so that is just a plus. To find a new view point is also rewarding.

Now, I am very interested of seeing how other types are constructed.

This criticism is an example of not caring about implementation of The Sunk Cost Fallacy perspective for your "own benefit".
    Last edited by The Reality Denialist; 11-28-2017 at 10:59 PM.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Meditator
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

78% Rationalist, with some weakness in evidence-based reasoning.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Skeptic.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Free Spirit

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most Cardsharps have powerful intuitive decision-making abilities, but their skills don't end there. They're also good with numbers and capable of seeing through deceit, which can give them formidable powers in games of chance. Cardsharps are quick learners and adaptable thinkers. Approximately 6% of the populace are Cardsharps.

You are Intuitive: You tend to trust your intuitions — you size up situations quickly and stick with your judgments once you’ve made them. This tendency can be useful when you need to think on your feet, or when you’re using a skill that you’ve already honed to perfection.

* It appears that you may have a sharp tendency to underestimate the time and resources your projects will require.

* You may be highly susceptible to the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

* It looks like you frequently cause problems for yourself by repeating your mistakes.

* You have a clear understanding of the way that evidence should affect your confidence in a theory.

* You are good at seeing through tricky or deceptive arguments.

* You have a strong sense of how much your free time is worth to you.
    Last edited by xerx; 11-29-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lump
    i said smoke inhalation too. i thought it was the obvious answer and skimmed it again wondering if it was a trick question.
    I also wrote that as it was most likely, and was first thing that came to mind. The question was testing to see if you thought of other options as well, or zeroed in on the most obvious right away. I did think of other things also, but after the obvious one, and so put "0" for other ideas a person thought of first. But here are some other possibilities:

The one that I thought was next most likely was that he fell through the floor since the entrance was on the 2nd floor, and it's a burning building.

The building roof or walls also could have fallen on him and crushed him.

An arsonist could have shot/stabbed/strangled him.

Because his judgement seemed so impaired he may have been drugged or poisoned before entering the building.

He may have been new on the job, and not aware of a heart condition, and so died of a heart attack.

Leaving the one guy without a respirator to fight a fire alone while everyone else leaves to get another hose seems kind of fishy, but maybe they were all drinking and he actually died of alcohol poisoning or something

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    I also wrote that as it was most likely, and was first thing that came to mind. The question was testing to see if you thought of other options as well, or zeroed in on the most obvious right away. I did think of other things also, but after the obvious one, and so put "0" for other ideas a person thought of first. But here are some other possibilities:

The one that I thought was next most likely was that he fell through the floor since the entrance was on the 2nd floor, and it's a burning building.

The building roof or walls also could have fallen on him and crushed him.

An arsonist could have shot/stabbed/strangled him.

Because his judgement seemed so impaired he may have been drugged or poisoned before entering the building.

He may have been new on the job, and not aware of a heart condition, and so died of a heart attack.

Leaving the one guy without a respirator to fight a fire alone while everyone else leaves to get another hose seems kind of fishy, but maybe they were all drinking and he actually died of alcohol poisoning or something

I put smoke too because since I was a kid I remembered it was a leading cause of death in house fires (also remember how to put myself out if on fire). I had a death by fire phobia until I went under past life regression. I just read it carefully and had considered what other ways he might have died based on the paragraph which was only 3. Same with the other questions. I read them carefully and considered the options. The question about music/job did not seem to have a flaw as written. The numbers on the fake company made me skeptical of the campaign being responsible but I put somewhat likely. I worked in marketing for a short time. It was awful. :/

I found myself thinking WWMSDD? (what would my step dad do?). He would tell me to wait and not sell stocks when others panicked, for example, so I applied what I learned from him to the questions so I wasn't thinking about the amount as much as I was thinking of the general idea with those questions. Lack of patience has burned me before so having that in mind it was easy to answer related questions. Sort of like the saying "good things come to those who wait". I didn't even want a rationalist result. To save time for the train and the device I put $1 since it mentioned budget but I would pay more, irl because I can. I wouldn't pay a ridiculous amount comparatively though.

Basically I tried to stay within the parameters of the questions but I did go outside them a few times. I just brought myself back and focused on the question. I also said "no" to the email list thing.

YWIMW

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post

I put smoke too because since I was a kid I remembered it was a leading cause of death in house fires (also remember how to put myself out if on fire). I had a death by fire phobia until I went under past life regression. I just read it carefully and had considered what other ways he might have died based on the paragraph which was only 3. Same with the other questions. I read them carefully and considered the options. The question about music/job did not seem to have a flaw as written. The numbers on the fake company made me skeptical of the campaign being responsible but I put somewhat likely. I worked in marketing for a short time. It was awful. :/

I found myself thinking WWMSDD? (what would my step dad do?). He would tell me to wait and not sell stocks when others panicked, for example, so I applied what I learned from him to the questions so I wasn't thinking about the amount as much as I was thinking of the general idea with those questions. Lack of patience has burned me before so having that in mind it was easy to answer related questions. Sort of like the saying "good things come to those who wait". I didn't even want a rationalist result. To save time for the train and the device I put $1 since it mentioned budget but I would pay more, irl because I can. I wouldn't pay a ridiculous amount comparatively though.

Basically I tried to stay within the parameters of the questions but I did go outside them a few times. I just brought myself back and focused on the question. I also said "no" to the email list thing.

The only other options I gave any thought to while taking the test was him falling through the floor or the building collapsing on him, but it was still less likely than the smoke. And I thought of them primarily to quickly test the smoke option against - as in, 'am I missing anything, what other evidence is there' kind of thing. The other ideas came later when I was writing my post.

The marketing one - the numbers jumped around so much that I would have wanted to eliminate other causes of the change before giving credit to the marketing campaign. I did think the "real job" vs music was flawed as it was a false choice - meaning there were other choices as well as the option to do both and music can itself be a "real job." I waited on all of the money questions for a few reasons - yes they were very small amounts, so it really didn't matter if I got them or not, and waiting wasn't going to hurt me for a slightly bigger pay-out (though I did consider whether inflation would make them actually worth less over time, and so they might actually be worth more now than later - but no way to tell that for sure) also since I don't need the money now and I might later it'd be better to wait, and had they been larger amounts I would have waited also. The doughnut machine one was pretty simple and straightforward.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post

The only other options I gave any thought to while taking the test was him falling through the floor or the building collapsing on him, but it was still less likely than the smoke. And I thought of them primarily to quickly test the smoke option against - as in, 'am I missing anything, what other evidence is there' kind of thing. The other ideas came later when I was writing my post.

The marketing one - the numbers jumped around so much that I would have wanted to eliminate other causes of the change before giving credit to the marketing campaign. I did think the "real job" vs music was flawed as it was a false choice - meaning there were other choices as well as the option to do both and music can itself be a "real job." I waited on all of the money questions for a few reasons - yes they were very small amounts, so it really didn't matter if I got them or not, and waiting wasn't going to hurt me for a slightly bigger pay-out (though I did consider whether inflation would make them actually worth less over time, and so they might actually be worth more now than later - but no way to tell that for sure) also since I don't need the money now and I might later it'd be better to wait, and had they been larger amounts I would have waited also. The doughnut machine one was pretty simple and straightforward.
    I am trying to remember the wording of the question re: music. I think it said these are the only two choices or something? Like an ultimatum a parent would give. lol That is why I put no flaw according to how it was written. I know there are other choices having dated and being in relationships with musicians who made money on it. Some went on to have careers outside the industry but still play for themselves. I also supported a musician before who did not want to work and was not making any money but he contributed by doing absolutely everything else around the house. He is now making money playing in a cover band but he has spent most his life living off others. I dreamt of him last night and woke up feeling he was going to die. It was a very nice dream though. Maybe because of the quiz since he came to mind. I considered all those things in the few moments I read the question but ultimately chose no flaw. :/

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

There are never enough spoliers.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    There are never enough spoliers.
    lol
    I put in spoiler so it wouldn't interfere with anyone who wanted to take the quiz and not be influenced by my reasoning.

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free Spirit

Most Free Spirits like to seek out new experiences; they prefer to enjoy these experience on an emotional level without poring over or analyzing them. They tend to enjoy the more colorful and artistic parts of everyday life. Approximately 21% of the populace are Free Spirits.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Attachment 12052

Second chance...

Attachment 12053

Pretty much the two are the same, except for the last trait.

In fact, I retook it because I was skeptical.

Some questions are just based in your perceptions of yourself and don't evaluate your real skill. Its dubious from that point. Funny anyway.
    Last edited by Hope; 11-30-2017 at 04:13 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll probably have to take this test again in the future.

"Most Free Spirits like to seek out new experiences; they prefer to enjoy these experience on an emotional level without poring over or analyzing them. They tend to enjoy the more colorful and artistic parts of everyday life. Approximately 21% of the populace are Free Spirits.

You are Open: You're not an aggressive skeptic or naysayer. You tend to consider information without immediately disputing it unless given clear reason to do so. Proving people wrong is not a high priority for you."