Thread: Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball Creator)

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball Creator)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My alarm bells are ringing, Alpha or Beta. Probably Beta taking into account what DBZ is about, but take this with a grain of salt.

Is there subbed material?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Don't think so. Here are some quotes instead:

The method of producing comics in Japan is very hectic, but it's also rewarding because it's possible to do both the story and art all by yourself. In this way, it's possibly to bring out one's individuality. If this idea appeals to you, I call on you to try drawing your own manga.

Several readers have asked if Namekians are plants. Of course, based on their names, they seem to be slugs... but they are green, they have a strange method of reproduction, and they live on water.

That's a tough question. I thought of Piccolo first, and I wanted to draw him as a scary character, and it was only afterwards that I had to come up with a species. Since they have antennae, I thought they looked like slugs. So "Namekian" is a play on words, but I didn't think too deeply about it. I don't think they're plants, but they may be hermaphrodites.

"With second-form Cell as well, I liked him well enough. Actually, I had wanted him to play a more active role. But since I was told he looked stupid, I had no choice but to change him. (laughs) So I made him into his cool-looking perfect form, which was to Kondō-san's liking.

"The offer to direct an animated version of Blue Dragon came in February of last year [2006]. Studio Pierrot approached me regarding it. I knew that Sakaguchi had been working on assembling staff to produce a game, although at the time Blue Dragon hadn't yet been formally announced. According to the materials, it was to be a fantasy world like Lord of the Rings, with a detailed world view and story. This may be my final anime, I'm a little worried (about it). There's incredible pressure, but at the same time, there's a sense of accomplishment — that it's worth doing. Blue Dragon will be a masterpiece, not simply because I'm working hard on it, but because the staff is expecting nothing less."

TIM
    Take a guess
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From having read and watched his work he is weak in Ti (e.g. timelines make no sense, power level contradictions etc).

My guess is he's an xNFp, probably IEE seeing as how Goku seems Delta IEE and Vegeta is basically shat on in terms of limelight and he is LSI-Se, possibly his conflictor.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Goku was SEE, and most anime is weak in Ti. It's just that Asian cultures don't tend to value logic. I actually think that there's a lot of similarity between Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon... which is a very SEE series.

Apparently he likes to do the the opposite of what people tell/expect him to do, like his fans asked him to not kill Vegeta, and he killed him off.

He was most influenced by 101 Dalmatians, Jackie Chan's Drunken Master and Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon.

Doesn't like romance in his work.

Apparently a loner, not good with people. Doesn't want to spend time with people other than with his friends, family and close colleagues.

His other work:

"Dr. Slump is mainly a comedy series, filled with puns, toilet humor and sexual innuendos. But it also contained many science fiction elements; aliens, anthropomorphic characters, time travel, and parodies of works such as Godzilla, Star Wars and Star Trek."

He lives in this house:

Last edited by Singu; 04-15-2017 at 08:03 PM.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maaaaannnn what's up with that guy! AND THE HOUSE!

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Japanese portrayal of Goku is pure Se-base, imo - the English dub of the anime took liberties with his character to make him seem more altruistic/idealistic.

Example:

Original: Spares Vegeta because he makes a great sparring partner

English dub: Spares Vegeta because he thinks he has the potential to be a good person

Last edited by suedehead; 04-16-2017 at 06:04 AM.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The entire anime is abought fights fights fights and perfectly "shounen" in all regards, SEE > IEE from my perspective. Sailor Moon would go into the direction of IEE more.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suedehead View Post
    The Japanese portrayal of Goku is pure Se-base, imo - the English dub took liberties with his character to make him seem more altruistic/idealistic.

Example:

Original: Spares Vegeta because he makes a great sparring partner

English dub: Spares Vegeta because he thinks he has the potential to be a good person
    Wow interesting, I didn't know that but I still thought that he was SEE, because whenever something doesn't work, his attitude is always "Well, I've got to try even harder and never give up!".

TIM
    Take a guess
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goku is very Delta, I don't see much that's Gamma SeFi about him. He uses NeFi to evaluate morals while keeping an open mind to possible change and not being too harsh and rigid to his judgments like SeFi is, and he is amazing at seeing the potential of other fighters which is exactly Vegeta's biggest weakness. After his grandfather died, he chose to remain in solitude and live a very peaceful and quiet Delta-like life until Bulma showed up which is unlike SEE.

Compare him to Se-base characters like Natsu Dragneel (SEE) or Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez (SLE) and he's clearly not Se-base. The Saiyan instincts are what's responsible for his contradictory love for chaos and battle, it's been pointed out before in DBZ and Vegeta mentions in this clip other NeFi indications like Goku not caring about winning but instead focusing on reaching his potential and how it was as if Goku knew Vegeta was capable of changing (this is the Japanese version btw @suedehead).

Plus, Goku is way more of an Infantile than an Aggressor.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In that video, he says Goku "doesn't fight in order to win, but in order to never lose and to reach his limit". I don't think just because you have Se necessarily means that you are harsh, rigid and ruthless, as SEEs can be pretty forgiving. There's also the difference between positivist Fi and negativist Fi.

Also SEEs are good at spotting who is strong and who is weak:

SEE is perceptive of the balance of power. He quickly detects who is strong and who is weak, who can be pushed around and whom it's better not to touch. Looks for weak spots in people who are close to him. Exerting pressure on these points, he is able to change their behavior in a way that is most favorable for him.

TIM
    Take a guess
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    In that video, he says Goku "doesn't fight in order to win, but in order to never lose and to reach his limit". I don't think just because you have Se necessarily means that you are harsh, rigid and ruthless, as SEEs can be pretty forgiving. There's also the difference between positivist Fi and negativist Fi.
    Which is the same as potential in this context. The Point still remains that Goku doesn't fight to conquer (Se) - he fights to realize his own potential (Ne).

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Also SEEs are good at spotting who is strong and who is weak:

SEE is perceptive of the balance of power. He quickly detects who is strong and who is weak, who can be pushed around and whom it's better not to touch. Looks for weak spots in people who are close to him. Exerting pressure on these points, he is able to change their behavior in a way that is most favorable for him.
    That doesn't even sound like Goku.

As a rule IEE is very penetrating: she can easily predict what it is possible to expect in the future from another individual, especially if she is sufficiently familiar with him/her. As no other she knows how to inspire, to reveal the abilities and talents of others, to manifest support towards others to realize themselves. In people she values kindness, uniqueness and talent. Envy is alien to her – her creative nature allows her to see many possible avenues worth following. Even in old age she’s always ready to learn new things.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I can see where you'd get that impression, but his assessment of a person's potential is almost always within the very narrow context of fighting - he shows very little interest in Gohan's potential/talent as a scholar (which he values more than martial arts) for example. That sort of single-minded focus spanning the majority of a person's life doesn't strike me as much of an Ne-base tendency.

That doesn't even sound like Goku.
    Really? I think these clips are good examples of the tendency that excerpt describes:

(he's in the process of recruiting teammates for a martial arts tournament in both clips)

Last edited by suedehead; 04-17-2017 at 04:06 PM.

TIM
    Take a guess
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's in the realm of fighting because he is heavily influenced by Saiyan instincts. Remove that and Goku wouldn't even be a fighter.

And the exert is out of context (typical). SEE is still primarily a sensor and will find it difficult to gauge the abilities of others without clear, present indications. It's similar to Vegeta (an actual Se-ego type) who almost never is capable of telling how strong an opponent is without directly fighting them or sensing their unsuppressed ki and struggles to tell when an opponent is holding back.

And Goku picks a fight with anyone he thinks is capable of pushing him further to his potential and in fact prefers stronger opponent's.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I think Goku is pretty straightforward, and rarely tries anything different or alternative when something doesn't work. His method when something doesn't work is "trying even harder" and doing the same thing, fighting harder without giving up. I would think that Ne would often try something different and look for a workaround.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

IMO, Toriyama is is most likely IEE. Dragonball in general, especially Super seems like overload with virtually no . Fun show to watch, but you can't take it too seriously. Goku seems like SEE to me though: > , I don't think he modeled Goku after himself. Gohan is likely IEE, he doesn't crave fighting like his father, but would do it if necessary. He also needs his SLI dual Piccolo to teach him how to fight.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with IEE.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Akira Toriyama - ESFP - Napoleon

TIM
    EII Sx/Sp 9w1 (954)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEE

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he VI's SEI-Fe. Dragon Ball, despite having gamma main characters and themes, is merrily done in the very Alpha way. It is not a serious thing, nor a decisive quadra thing.
    Then, the angel asked her what her name was. She said: "I have none"