Thread: Is Socionics worth it in the long run?

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is Socionics worth it in the long run?

And if so, how has it helped you? How has it changed your understanding of the world? Just I will probably have to revisit Socionics later in life and I can't really do it right now as I have more questions than answers right now. Once I know more people, I think the patterns will set in and I will be able to actually understand how the theory works better. However I can't really leave until I know for sure if this could be of any use to me.

I am addicted and I can't really escape, even though now is not the best time to be trying to learn all this. Please kill my doubt, and if not, then I guess just give me too much so I can finally push myself to quit.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I struggle to leave socionics, the deeper I sink into it. I’ve decided to stop fighting and just ride the wave to see where it takes me.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stopping fighting is akin to death @Poptart . If you need a break from Socionics, just get rid of this account for now. It could end up taking you absolutely nowhere if you have no reason for using it in the long run and just end up being a waste of time.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if you just end up "riding the wave" without questioning where it could take you, you might end up where you didn't want to go. Going with the flow is not a good plan.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWilderness View Post
    Stopping fighting is akin to death @Poptart . If you need a break from Socionics, just get rid of this account for now. It could end up taking you absolutely nowhere if you have no reason for using it in the long run and just end up being a waste of time.
    Ugh, you’re right. It’s just that I have this nagging feeling that I have something more to learn here. Like I’ve barely scratched the surface of Model G and DNCH.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Poptart

But ask yourself why you need to learn it so bad? Is it to enhance your life, or for pure curiosity? There is nothing wrong with learning for no end purpose, but you have to be okay with it. There will always be something more to learn in Socionics, psychology is an ever changing field. People spend years figuring out the ITRs and types of people, and even then some have difficulty typing from a distance. Everyday you will learn something new, there is almost no end to the amount of information we can find.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The main possible use is help to make a good pair by taking into account one of important factors as IR.
    As minimum, it may help to avoid bad IR people. Which can be attractive, but it's doubtful to get long relations with them in which you'd feel good. As it's hard to be friends with them compared with good IR (dual, semidual, mb activator).

I'd could to try again relations with conflictor girl, to do more efforts for this. As feelings do not disappear quickly, I had such thoughts. And there was a good chance when she wanted to talk. Without Socionics knowledge I'd try this with much more chance. I felt controversive impressions about her from the start and such relations would be hard for me. Most people in such situations will find someone with better IR, but my heart stayed closed.
    There is still a chance I'll get what I want - relatively good pair. I plan to limit to IR above what may help in this.
    Last edited by Sol; 04-15-2021 at 10:54 PM.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I learned a bunch from the theory, verified what I could, and use it today. It's arbitrary, doesn't make any sense, and probably can be argued a bunch by sane people, but as far as theoretically, I should be using it exactly right. Feels good.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

There will always be something more to learn in Socionics
    After basic theory it needs only a practice of a typing and watching people whith known types to improve typing skills. To find IRL pair with some type needs not much, if you do this among people with who you communicate significantly.

To identify types of people near use nonveral-intuitive VI (to intuitively suppose which types' traits are more possible to be), not only common behavior. Helps a lot for correct typing. Give tests to who you'll can. Correct types examples are especially important for the start.

> People spend years figuring out the ITRs and types of people

After geting initial typing skills during positive checking of your type by IR with >10 people (if you'll can this), it's good possible that you'll not doubt for long in types of good known people and when you'll be assured will not change the opinion. This needs correct theory - typology basics and not doubtful mess as Reinin traits or alike.

To identify types in other cases may need principally better skills. As to suppose _correctly_ types during short talking or short watching, by internet data as photos/videos/texts, etc. This may take years of doubts for noticable % of such people indeed, and has lesser chance to be correct. Sometimes you may make people closer to know them better. If you like someone - offer IRL communications and any activity together, good if this will be a cooperation with mutual task. Spend more time of communications to be sure in the type.
    There are only 16 types and the theory is simple. The problem is practical with today muddy methods. When you communicate much and relatively informally - there is good chance to understand correctly types of those people, with skills after 1-2 years of typing practice with people near you.

> Everyday you will learn something new, there is almost no end to the amount of information we can find.

make a thread with a typing video. in case the type is other, with a correct type you'll get better types understanding and typing will look easier

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you have to decide for yourself. sometimes it's better to not know things. depends on what kind of person you are.
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blissful ignorance is a terrible thing, knowing the truth is always better, at least to me.

It's not so much that the theory would destroy me, but rather I question its value to me.

After consideration, I think now is not the correct time to take it seriously, I should wait about 3 years or so.

And in some cases, it's better to let others decide for you, if you can't make up your mind.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blissful ignorance is only terrible to those blissfully ignoring blissful ignorance.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you can call not wanting blissful ignorance blissfully ignoring because there's nothing "blissful" in the truth. It's terrible to me, but I understand those that do not want to face harsh reality.

TIM
    ILE-De
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most theory is junk imo, but the actual observations and types are what keep me here. Being able to split people into neat little boxes and seeing that I can use those boxes to understand how to interact with people. I'm only here because I'm definitely very solidly ILE, and so I had a bit of an anecdotal connection to it. I've definitely had up's and down's with socionics, but usually any dip is just there until I find some other person's version of socionics which I found more accurate.

Socionics is only as useful as the framework and attitude you provide. On it's own it's not very fruitful. Within greater contexts and with good purposes, there's some good to be had. Personally, I think getting some practical returns and being able to connect the concepts with reality and other ideas are important. What even is socionics? What is type? Why is it important? How do you type someone? Etc.

It can be a pretty solid system for personal growth - you can look in the direction of how to learn new things and take new approaches by seeing how different types approach things. It can help you see blindspots you might not be aware of and deal with them. It can help you understand how others think, which hopefully leads to an understanding that people see things differently and therefore do things you might not agree with, with no ill intent (or at least, less ill intent). It can teach you how you can help others with your strengths, and how you can build teams of people to achieve good things. It can provide some terminology and a framework to organize and communicate ideas of how people work.

However, it can't provide an identity. It can't pick out the perfect relationship. It can't tell you what you're good or bad at, or what career you should choose. It can't tell you who to like or dislike. In fact, there are a lot of things socionics can't do. As long as you don't put too much pressure on it, it's a fine tool. Just don't place more importance on it than it's due.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The mass usefulness of Socionics may appear when will exist high accuracy (>90%) to identify types by tests and typers.

Today to get a use needs serious own efforts, - what most people will not do. Those who write on forums show that most people behave naively and irresponsibly to the typology. What most may do with bad typology skills and knowledge more probably will be useless or harmful.
    Even to identify types of well known people with good accuracy needs 1-2 years of typology study - correct theory and practice of typing of people near you. It's not the approach when you trust to any hypothetical nonsense (Reinin traits, for example). And to some typer cause you like his sweet and smart-alike talking. You need to know good typology basics yourself, to check your type by IR to be more objectively sure in it and to have not bad own typing skills.

About good IR pair, besides the said above.
    Also you need a luck that someone having good IR was noticed by you, were conditions you'd could communicate significantly with him to understood correctly his type.
    Then you need a luck he would fit to other your requirements as a pair, besides good IR.
    Then you need serious efforts to make a good pair and a luck that external factors not opposing you too much.

Also. After >25 yo exist general problems to make a new pair. As most people of near age have stable pairs already and mb even kids. That you may notice good IR people will not improve the situation magically.
    Since mid of 2000s Internet helps to some degree to find people without marriages and stable pairs. But you'll initially have only photos (videos are rare) and a little of text. To suppose types by such info is not good and also not IRL typing needs significantly better skills (while the time works against you). You'll also need to understand other important about that human. It's a risky way where you may spend much of time on not good for you ones, even when you have some typology knowledge and even when some of them will have good IR indeed.
    It's also not a way comfortable for many people to make active searching and meetings with random ones, only cause they seem to have good IR and look cute on a surface. Mostly people prefer to choose pairs or show an interest to among well knowns ones, which appeared near by external factors. So was the main approach all the time of the past and to this our instincts are adopted the most. Introverts may have additional difficulties with active searching.

Ideal situation for Socionics usage is. You are 16-22 yo and notice good IR people among the ones with who you study, work, communicate IRL, may see significantly. You pay more attention on those people and mb some of them will inspire significant feelings. If so happens - you get good bonus for good long pair as good IR factor.
    Also good situation is when you have near IRL someone interested to make a pair with good IR, which also fits to your other requirements. Who lives or works near, with who you may talk enough by different reasons to identify the type with an assurance. When you may know good other about that human to evaluate possible traits of relations. As a variant - you may get an interest to someone random (initially without high chance on good IR), somehow to talk more IRL, and then to notice good IR and other what you want. It's possibly and knowledge of types is useful for such cases.

-

Besides typology itself, may help its principles of good relations - the attitude on close friendship. People underesteemate this often and this reduces good pairs. They concentrate on related to sexual passion and reduce the attention on how much that human also can be good friend for you. Sexual passion reduces much during 3 years in relations mainly based on it and with low friendship possibility. Stays not much between such people in a short time, except moral duties, household, kids, etc.
    This kind of help of Socionics may be the main now. As the majority do not study the typology good enough for good typing accuracy, even for typing well known people. Also the attitude on a friendship abbility arises a chance to get good IR and other good traits for good relations. People may do not think about types at all during this.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. If you're interested, learn about it. Enjoy yourself. Life is too short not to do things you actually enjoy.

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first got into it, it really freaked me out. (1year+ ago). I was worried that it had caused some permanent anxiety state in me. But that’s changed. I just on kept on going with it- eventually I found people on the forum whose ideas I liked to read about, and bits of the theory (and ennegram) that interested me. I don’t even know the theory well, but it’s helped me a lot. I can type people though- you do need to learn this in the end so you can form your own opinions, see how the theory works. The socionics descriptions contain a lot of stereotypes- it is inevitable. Subtype theories (enneagram/socionics can help get your head around this). By typing people, you can see past the stereotypes.

Bit yes, you are young. Just enjoy it for the ideas, even the silliness of it. You may relate to it more, as you get a bit older. Don’t feel like you need to know it all, you have your whole life to come back to it When you really need it, it will be there for you!

I think it probably drives everyone crazy at first, and can take some time to get used to it.

Also- remember that compatibility is about more than socionics types. Some ITR may be better than others, but quite a few are more than ok. Different types of relationships exist- some are more romantic, some are more practical, regardless of type. A person is more than their socionics type- your memories and experiences make you who you are. Enneagram is cool too- the enneagram part of the personality seems to be the more fluid aspect of the psyche, with room to grow in different directions. There is more cross over between the systems than people realise- enneagram might be a bit more accessible though.
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 04-16-2021 at 01:56 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading and thinking about typology has always been a relaxing & fun pastime for me, why is it stressful for some of you?

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh don't get me wrong, it can be fun, but right now somethings are a bit confusing to me. I think it would be more fun if I had more people to type IRL, and then I would see more patterns, and therefore be better at typology and be able to contribute more sanely.

I think already my confusion has been cleared though, since I just realized some things.

You are IEI Ni type, so thinking about theories all day will not be as stressful as it will be for some SEIs.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatte View Post
    Reading and thinking about typology has always been a relaxing & fun pastime for me, why is it stressful for some of you?
    People.
    That's everywhere tho, I almost always end feeling like I got stuck in people's feelings and have no idea what to do with them. What to do with myself.
    All the stereotyping, the expectations, the boxes, the random opinions that don't consider the why nor how a person came to act the way they do. When people stop at behavior they can observe. A person is so much more than that.
    Problem is, "people" is also the most enlightening part of it imo.
    How so many things weave together. The movement.
    How one tiny precision can illuminate pages, how one small comment can find it's fuel in a large text.
    The perceptions that clashes, those that fade into one other, and the ones that coexist peacefully.
    The pieces that shines so bright, that resonates, and those that dim or turn off.

I'm rather intense inwardly, and that's quite stressful on its own, lol.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stress comes from confusion generally...

But also because socionics has been used wrongly against me by my boyfriend.

Now I understand however, that being Si ego doesn't mean you necessarily like activities attributed to Si. It just means that you are better at sensing shapes and colors and states of health and has nothing to do with being able to cook or clean or being cutesy or anything like that.

So tdlr, I am cringe, I suck at typing, and general emotional confusion, that's why I sound like a clueless idiot half the time, and the other half trying super hard to look sensible...

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Socionics is better when you look at it objectively, and realize that there are more factors than just Socionics that play into a person's behavior. Taking into account all possible factors for behavior like types of parents, environment and so on, and apply that as well as type to try to explain behavior. I think the problem is taking theory a bit overboard most of the time, and I am guilty of that a lot. Sometimes observations are better made outside of the context of Socionics as well.

Also to realize that functions do not necessarily relate to the finished product or interests, but rather your approach to the process or interest. A SEI and a LII could both like math, but they won't approach it in the same way as they use different functions.

(Also to realize that Socionics shouldn't change or dictate your opinions, and that Socionics is not the solution to every problem in your life)

I think if you look at it this way and don't set expectations and standards of behavior for people, or immediately judge them based on type, it's actually more interesting.

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found it stressful at first, because I was coming from a background of mental health problems and quite frankly, trauma. I feel like it’s more or less cured my mental health problems, as much as is possible, but I’m left with regret because I now have knowledge I wish I had earlier. I understand what was wrong with me and I can see where I went wrong. But I’m IEI, so I’ll move on and be ok.

I actually love typology. At first, it made me feel as if everyone was a programmed robot or something, and life was meaningless. Now, after learning more about it, and enneagram, I feel like I see the world in dazzling colours and can’t want to make the most of it. It is tinged with sadness that I feel like I understand too much of the world? It’s like discovering the meaning of life, and then what’s next? It’s also weird learning about it during a pandemic.

I also came to it, after my first real experience of heart break, so it crosses over with that- um, realising love is not quite what you thought, losing some innocence, yet also learning how strong you are by recovering. All scary. Also, as a not so young person, you just want to find someone ASAP and suddenly you’ve got to learn the whole of socionics coz in your gut you know it’s useful, but you are gonnna get some of it wrong 2 years on, I feel in a much better position to find someone

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics is useless for those who seek explanations. Socionics can't explain thoughts and behaviors and relationships. It's a system of observation and categorization.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Idk, people are drawn to shit. They find themselves in these situations and ask if it was worth it, and maybe it doesn’t seem like it, but they were probably going to end up there any way. Different things are worth it to different people, and even the way to measure how ‘worth it’ it is.

As for me, it wastes time and distracts me from things I don’t really want to think about. There is also a social aspect to it. Could I be doing better and more productive things with my time? Absolutely. But I think I was going to end up on this site anyway. And on my depressing note, I feel like I’m just wasting time until I die anyway and get kind of bored with everything. Anything that distracts me and interests me is essentially life candy.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So if you over stress about your type and so on it might already be too late. If your absolute goal is to use this determining your place in social world I think it is not a great idea. Treat it as raw and and critical manner.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    I feel like I see the world in dazzling colours and can’t want to make the most of it. It is tinged with sadness that I feel like I understand too much of the world? It’s like discovering the meaning of life, and then what’s next?
    Oh yes, you put it perfectly.
    Another thing, enneagram & socionics so solidly make up my worldview that I have a hard time translating my observations about others to non-typological phrases. Sometimes I get close, but I'm always sad that the person I'm trying to communicate the idea to won't ever understand it in the same way with the full context.

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh don't get me wrong, it can be fun, but right now somethings are a bit confusing to me. I think it would be more fun if I had more people to type IRL, and then I would see more patterns, and therefore be better at typology and be able to contribute more sanely.
    I think understanding yourself first is the key. understanding others is a happy byproduct that will come afterwards. in my opinion

I think already my confusion has been cleared though, since I just realized some things.
    that's wonderful!

You are IEI Ni type, so thinking about theories all day will not be as stressful as it will be for some SEIs.
    for me this is thinking about people (myself & others) just through the lens of a theory. i'm not interested in thinking about the theory itself.

TIM
    EIE-Ni-H 359
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a group of fun models to ponder. However, like with most things in life, one shouldn't think of it in absolute, certain terms. That's just asking for trouble.

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I’ll likely take a break from it at some point. It’s been a good distraction/ learning experience in lock down (almost a bit too distracting), but it would be nice to just forget about it for a while and enjoy learning about people in a more natural way. Of course, it’s good to have some/a good level of knowledge of psychology. But being IEI E9/ harmonising subtype, sometimes I just want to stop reading and thinking about people in terms of types and descriptions. I want to connect with them intuitively and come up with my own ideas.

I probably just need to take regular breaks, and also read a bit more widely- general knowledge doesn’t seem so daunting anymore. Great to have the typology knowledge, great to learn about healthy boundaries with people (boundaries which go both ways), but I think it’d be nice to have it somewhere at the back of my mind, rather than always on my mind. (Even though I love it- I love how connected it makes everything seem- history, people, nature, art) It helps you understand your own life energy more, and how lucky you are to have a spark of life in you.
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 04-17-2021 at 09:01 PM.