Thread: The Expanse

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Expanse

Amos is my dual no matter what type I am or type he is or how anyone defines socionics.

Holden - ?
    Amos - my dual
    Camino - Ni?
    Chrisjen - Fe something?
    Naomi - ENFp?
    Ashford - Ti something? Also can be my dual.
    previously Megadoodoo

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My impressions:
    Holden - ESI
    Amos - LSI
    Alex - ESE ?
    Chrisjen - LIE or EIE
    Bobbie - Fi type
    Last edited by WinnieW; 12-23-2019 at 10:58 PM.

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this series. Some of the types of the main characters stand out pretty well. Some intertype relations are realistic, some are weird:

Holden - LSE
    Amos - SLE
    Naomi - IEE
    Alex - ILE
    Avasarala - EIE
    Ashford - LSI
    Drummer - ESI
    Bobbie Draper - I can't get over the fact that the actress is so ESE that I can't type the TV show character anything else although ESE probably isn't the intention of the book series author

Edit: Miller - SEE or IEE? he's all about his freedom and creative Fi..
    Last edited by Northstar; 02-05-2021 at 01:50 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay! thanks for creating this thread.
    If Amos is your dual then hopefully you're EIE.

Amos - LSI
    I see him as Ti>Se with childhood circumstances molding him to be heavily reliant on Se usage. Se is just a tool for him whereas Ti molds his entire being and worldview and is predominantly at the root of his issues in lacking a moral compass (he's just too purely logical and categorical)

Alex - IEE
    Ne/Fe

Avasarala - SEE
    pure Se/Fe

Bobbie Draper - SLE
    Se/Te, unlike Avasarala who skillfully applies pressure on people to get her way, Bobbie is incapable and uses pure force and intimidation without Fi/Fe skill to get her way with people for example with her nephew she just shoves him up the wall to get him to listen or when she finds out about his "friends" she beats them up and expects that they'll listen to her now. She's otherwise pretty bad at judging people/relationships (for example when at Chrisjen's invitation she discovers that she was simply used because she's from Mars, that reads as a weak Fi blindness moment to me). Very analytical with good grasp of both Te and Ti, which we see when she is investigating the martian/belt conspiracy. @Northstar it's interesting to me that you say the actress is ESE! I didn't notice it at all but I can see where you're coming from.

Drummer - LSI or SLI
    in any case, strong Si/weak Ne. I'm leaning SLI because although she can be forceful, I don't think she values Se. She gets very attached to people in a Fi sort of way, while Amos in contrast does so for more Ti/Ni reasons.

Marco Inaros - EIE
    This should be very obvious. Perfect beta revolutionary archetype.

Miller - ILE
    The character itself is Ep SLE and very very Se/Ni slash Ti, but the actor's performance came off as ILE to me- racing Ne in need of some serious Si grounding.

Volovodov (person who wrote the speech for Secretary-General) - EIE
    note that Amos really liked her, particularly right after she gave him a meaningful mini Fe/Ni speech. she made him believe in something for a moment there! also, she has some Fi-ignoring issues which come up as she's on the ring ship.

Ashford - IxE
    Strong Ne/weak Si. also screams Si-seeking to me. (oh and that matches Drummer's typing!). performance seems IEE to me, but maybe the book author's intention was ILE.

Holden and Naomi are frustrating for me to type. For example in Holden's case, I'm assuming he's supposed to be LSE like what Northstar said, but the actor has too weak S to pull it off. For Naomi, she seems Fi ego, but then why is she portrayed as such a genius at repairing ships? Am I just stereotyping?

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatte View Post
    Yay! thanks for creating this thread.
    If Amos is your dual then hopefully you're EIE.

Amos - LSI
    I see him as Ti>Se with childhood circumstances molding him to be heavily reliant on Se usage. Se is just a tool for him whereas Ti molds his entire being and worldview and is predominantly at the root of his issues in lacking a moral compass (he's just too purely logical and categorical)
    I think his character has changed somewhat along the seasons, he started off more as the introverted mechanic archetype but really he's all about indulging his senses, impulsive reactions, protecting his own in a very e8 way (more SLE). However, his adherence to the "chain of command" is more LSI so I see where you're coming from. I would see lacking a moral compass being more Fi polr than Fi role, though. What didn't make sense to me was his reliance of Naomi as his "moral compass" at the start of the series. I think this is not uncommon in fictional characters, they can be even more of a mix between different types than clearly one type.

Alex - IEE
    Ne/Fe
    Yeah, I agree he's got a lot of Fe and an Se role. I went with ILE because he seems to have some Fi polr moments, I think an Fi creative would be less lost with their feelings.

Avasarala - SEE
    pure Se/Fe
    I think it's Fe base with Se HA. She's a very archetypal EIE leader character to me. If you remember the hostage situation for example, she really isn't a sensor. Her "negative Fe storms" are typical of EIE.

Bobbie Draper - SLE
    Se/Te, unlike Avasarala who skillfully applies pressure on people to get her way, Bobbie is incapable and uses pure force and intimidation without Fi/Fe skill to get her way with people for example with her nephew she just shoves him up the wall to get him to listen or when she finds out about his "friends" she beats them up and expects that they'll listen to her now. She's otherwise pretty bad at judging people/relationships (for example when at Chrisjen's invitation she discovers that she was simply used because she's from Mars, that reads as a weak Fi blindness moment to me). Very analytical with good grasp of both Te and Ti, which we see when she is investigating the martian/belt conspiracy. @Northstar it's interesting to me that you say the actress is ESE! I didn't notice it at all but I can see where you're coming from.
    I think the character is supposed to be more like SLE, but the actress is so ESE that it's too jarring to me. I can't take her usage of Se seriously at all but it's not because of the script, it's the actress. She just looks too cute and harmless, just the one to brighten up an LII's day.

Drummer - LSI or SLI
    in any case, strong Si/weak Ne. I'm leaning SLI because although she can be forceful, I don't think she values Se. She gets very attached to people in a Fi sort of way, while Amos in contrast does so for more Ti/Ni reasons.
    Yes, Ne polr. But I think she is cleary an ESI. Very rigid in her moral convictions, following contracts, doing the right thing. Her constant grimace is really just constant Fi disapproval, not Fe polr.

Marco Inaros - EIE
    This should be very obvious. Perfect beta revolutionary archetype.
    I was thinking ILE might be possible too, the revolutionary archetype would fit EIE of course. But I think he shows off the "ILE cleverness" for an evil character well.

Miller - ILE
    The character itself is Ep SLE and very very Se/Ni slash Ti, but the actor's performance came off as ILE to me- racing Ne in need of some serious Si grounding.
    EP makes sense to me too, I could see ILE though I think his ethical development is better than I would expect of an ILE. It's really again the case of TV show characters being strong in everything; logic and ethics, sensing and intuition.

Volovodov (person who wrote the speech for Secretary-General) - EIE
    note that Amos really liked her, particularly right after she gave him a meaningful mini Fe/Ni speech. she made him believe in something for a moment there! also, she has some Fi-ignoring issues which come up as she's on the ring ship.
    I was also thinking beta NF for her, possibly IEI-Fe.

Ashford - IxE
    Strong Ne/weak Si. also screams Si-seeking to me. (oh and that matches Drummer's typing!). performance seems IEE to me, but maybe the book author's intention was ILE.
    I don't see strong Ne and Si seeking at all. I think he's very clearly LSI with Fi role. He shares Drummer's weakness of Ne polr and they're perfect business partners.

Holden and Naomi are frustrating for me to type. For example in Holden's case, I'm assuming he's supposed to be LSE like what Northstar said, but the actor has too weak S to pull it off. For Naomi, she seems Fi ego, but then why is she portrayed as such a genius at repairing ships? Am I just stereotyping?
    Holden is textbook heroic LSE. I can see why you'd think his S is too weak at times but it's really because his Fi is boosted to unnatural levels. He's self-dualized with EII, lol. Naomi is also textbook IEE and it's just unrealistic writing that she's made into a tech genius, her skillset does not match her personality.

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Northstar sorry it took me so long to reply! i just forgot. anyway, i finished up the last season:

Yes, the whole thing with Amos having to rely on Naomi to make his choices didn't seem to line up for me. I decided to interpret it as just a sign of general Ni/Fe weakness because, as you said, personality can get muddy when it comes to fictional characters. However I agree with what you said about his personality changing course over the show.

On second thought I agree with your typing of Alex and Drummer. Yeah for Alex since he uses so much Fe (even tho it's a bit cringey) I just went with IEE but I think you're right about ILE. As for Drummer she is so emotionally undemonstrative I just wrote off any F type. but on second thought she's the epitome of Fi "still waters run deep". As for Ashford I honestly don't know about his type anymore. I didn't initially sense Fi role or Ne polr and because he died, I haven't gotten the chance to rewatch his scenes with your words in mind.

Holden is self-dualized with EII, LOL that made me laugh.

As for what you said about Bobbie's actress, it's interesting how you say you couldn't take her usage of Se seriously. maybe because I have 1D Se I took it seriously from the get-go. i mean, all that table-pounding and loud shutting up of her fellow Marines.. anyway, she was one of my favorite characters along with Avasarala, Camina, and Amos!

Also, I'm pretty sure Amos's friend, the one with the body mods, is ESI. Strong moral compass but not in a delta way, "still waters run deep" like Camina, and spontaneous philosophical Ni HA moments. What do you think?

I'm still sure that Avasarala is SEE. I can see what you're saying about her ineptitude during the hostage situation, and that did throw me off a bit, but I guessed it was due to how she's a politician and used to sparring with words and the backdrop of the rest of the characters (who are, instead, action characters) sets the bar high.. in reality, i think most people would perform somewhat poorly in situations like that. also, her general unfamiliarity with space and being in ships.
    Additionally, taking Marco Inaros as an example, he manipulates his son with indirect remarks full of implications for example when he dramatically asks multiple times about if he can use his ship or if he'd like to return the ship to Naomi. Avasarala just upfront demands for what she wants or forces them to (for example when she caused her friend to commit suicide).. subtlety is not her forte. she's also very "enough talking-get to work" in a gamma way.

I read the first book and thought you might be interested to know that the authors designed Miller to be a Noir character. His cynical, depressing thoughts were nice to read, lol.

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I have almost watched the last season now as well, just a couple of episodes left. I did also read the first two of the books but had forgotten most about it except for some of these character details. I agree that Marco Inaros is EIE, also Cyn seems like a clear SLI. I'm not sure about the boy, but he seems to be a mix of Marco and Naomi. Valued Se from his dad and Fi from his mom, perhaps.

Clarissa Mao (Amos' body mod friend) could be an ESI, she seemed like an SEI to me (the actress and her smiles), but really for the character ESI could work better. His earther bed warmer (Chandra) on Ilus that he had to kill was an SEE, I think. And security chief Murtry, the main villain of season 4 was probably an LIE.

When it comes to Avasarala, I see what you mean with Se being her leading function. I could agree she's kind of a mix between EIE and SEE, but all that negative Fe makes me think EIE and also her poor usage of Fi with relations to own family seems like it could be the ignoring function. The "get to work" mentality is also common for EJ types.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I just started reading Leviathan Wakes, and I got curious about the authors’ sociotypes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rLKabQRHGhQ

Clearly they are (long hair) EIE and (short hair) LSI. I typed them separately, but the fact that they are Duals explains why they form a great writing team.

I haven’t encountered the character Amos yet, and haven’t seen the series, but the EIE said that Amos was “himself, with 10% less empathy.”

The EIE also said that he greatly admired Alfred Bester, another EIE. Furthermore, Leviathan Wakes begins exactly the same way as does “The Stars My Destination.”

Make of that what you will.

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEE in real life just got herself the same haircut as Naomi in the Expanse without having seen the series.