Thread: [ILE-ENTp]: How can we finish personally important "stuff"? Any tips?

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default [ILE-ENTp]: How can we finish personally important "stuff"? Any tips?

Paying bills on time or handling economy acceptably: No problems there (you can automate it). Or giving set of some procedures for others when they need help. I can handle that with ease.

When I need to do finish something bigger and personally important let's say thesis I begin to have huge anxiety attacks. I avoid the issue as much as I can. I actually spent few weeks with my parents before graduating and they started to call me John Nash from Beautiful Mind. Everything was almost ready and I finally send my thesis. It was OK but it had much more potential with lots of good research in it. The bad: I couldn't polish it overall (lots of irrelevant polishment).

I have started lots of computer programming projects and when everything is almost clear I step back and forget it or fork something ready into unusable condition.
    I could give more examples.

My procrastination tendencies have increased a lot over the course of few years. Can you tell me how to stop this? It is getting out of hands.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

@Chryssie

Oh, well the reason why you won't start early is because you are afraid of the end result. The fear of failure. I would say think of the project as a no grade assignment that you have taken up for a personal cause to help someone or thing that you care for.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Think of a situation in which you are afraid of failure. Visualize yourself now hitting an obstacle, allow yourself to feel the fear, and then see yourself moving forward. Next, spend a few minutes planning how to overcome whatever obstacles may stand in your way. Then see yourself succeeding despite these obstacles.

Also this:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/vanessal...en-strategies/
    @FoxOnStilts can help too. She's ILE
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the issue is real procrastination. Try forcing yourself to do whatever for 2 hours every day, or every weekend, or something. Sit yourself down at a computer/in a library and don't allow yourself to do anything other than the project you want to achieve. That way you can work on it or you'll just be sitting there, getting more and more bored until your brain finally agrees to not be so distracted.

If that's still not working, go for a walk, and think about the project.

That's the two things you can do: Do Work, or Walk And Think.

I'm not sure if your Ne+Ti works like my Ne+Ti, but once I start something I can get uber-focused on it for a long amount of time. It's the first five minutes of commiting to it which I find the hardest, because my brain is thinking of so many things. I'm thinking about one node, but my brain is thinking of all these other interesting nodes to explore. Once I'm deep into the project I'm on, all of the nodes in my "network" of thoughts are about the project. It's just a matter of getting to that point first.

Find friends who are also doing the same thing. I also write programs and then get bored of them and forget, we can be friends! Friends who share a similar project not only provide emotional support, they let talk about your problem in an non-anxiety-inducing environment.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes, thank you. It is probably better to get some support from others who are facing the same problems. Downside is that I can become very sociable around people.

I think I might try to face the avoidance bit by thinking about overcoming it.
    Main problem is in forcing yourself to do something you already know... My mind likes to go further.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There is nothing wrong with procrastination. I'm procrastinating death for instance. I'm going to put that off until the last minute. Everything else? It's a work in progress.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ILEs are input junkies but a thesis is output; they almost need to sensory deprive themselves in order to effectively produce output. Disconnect from the internet and go to an isolated room that devoid of everything but a desk - not even a window. You'll hate it but you'll concentrate better. Barring that, I have found that ILEs perform best and are the most inventive when their backs are up against the wall and it's sink or swim. And, there's always Ritalin.....

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Have someone else do it or wait for a robot
    -

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're regularly having anxiety attacks, you should see a doctor about it. I'm on anti-anxiety meds myself.

As for the procrastination, you just have to train yourself. It's rough. I make a lot of lists and try to get things done as soon as possible, but at the very least, I have a set bed time so I make sure I get everything done before then and try not to play games and stuff until work is done. I actually give myself anxiety attacks if stuff is waiting to be done because I think I'll forget about it and etc. So I try to get it done as soon as I get it. I'm seeing a therapist in a few weeks, though, because my GP thought I might have adult ADHD.

I'm a teacher, though, so procrastination means I deal with a bunch of unruly 14 year olds otherwise lol. Sometimes I slap shit together, but overall I'm pretty okay on that regard. I do still heavily procrastinate and rarely do household chores so I can't help you with that haha. I'm very work-centric, though.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a lot of stuff known about the psychology of procrastination.

A funny expose is done by waitbutwhy http://waitbutwhy.com/2013/10/why-pr...rastinate.html

A few things, to tackle this:

- Divide your problems into seperate catagories: Fear of failure, Anxiety attacks and procrastination are not all the same thing.
    - Check which one is the biggest problem and fix that (Fear of failure -> therapy/introspection, Anxienty Attacks -> medz, Procrastination -> self help (the above descibed idea of deprivation of stimuli works wonders for me personally).
    - Get a good grip on what you WANT and what you want to want (some things you don't do because you really, internally, don't want to do the effort, you just want the end result, and not badly enough)
    - Get accountability (Friends work well for that, so does job. Don't put it on a loved one, it might ruin your relationship).
    - Accept what you can't fix in the above way.

OFC this is from non-ILE perspective... But my strong Ne gives me similar problems, even though i've gotten to the point where they're hardly concequential to me.