Thread: Why do you prefer your base over your ignoring?

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why do you prefer your base over your ignoring?

Some say base is a "hero" function, the function you'd turn to first to help someone in need. The base & ignoring are somewhat inverses of one another, maybe even oppositional. In your view, why do you prefer your base over your ignoring? What makes your base so awesome for you?

For me, Se is my way of quickly making things happen or simply just to get things moving faster. Si is a beast for the internal state, but too slow & careful for me. I wouldn't be much help focusing on anybody's intern state.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's not a question of preference, it is just the way your psyche is structured.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

it's not what you may choose
    in your perception to deal with valued regions is more pleasant

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ave View Post
    It's not a question of preference, it is just the way your psyche is structured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    it's not what you may choose
    in your perception to deal with valued regions is more pleasant
    Yeah but that's acting on auto pilot. The point is to be more deliberate in how & why you do things. Sort of like having both & intimate & accurate knowledge of the self.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s not a preference. This is how I’m wired.

Tbh I prefer Se or Ne any day of the week. Si is boring, tedious, and energy-sucking.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
    Yeah but that's acting on auto pilot. The point is to be more deliberate in how & why you do things. Sort of like having both & intimate & accurate knowledge of the self.
    A few things here.

Type cannot be changed and is a kind of auto-pilot. However, certain things can be improved and knowing your type helps in the personal growth process imo. For personal growth, there is an article by Gulenko on his website (can't find it now since their search feature only seems to recognize Russian) about depression and how it relates to the ignoring function. A person has a lot of information in their ignoring function but not a alot of energy, therefore one knows what to do about it but usually doesn't do it. For example, EIE has a good idea of what makes relations work (Fi) but has a hard time with their actual relations with others. The message of the article was that trying to change oneself via the ignoring can actually lead to depression because one is let down with oneself. Gulenko says it's better to focus on the role, for example an EIE focusing on what needs to be done in work matters (Te) would represent a better process of growth since the person is more able to implement the information concerning one's role.

That's just Gulenko's pov, but I thought it was interesting and the point you are bringing up made me think of that. I think knowing typology should help in the process of self-growth, that's kinda the point, so I don't want to be misunderstood as saying that type-related knowledge is not worth using in self-growth because it is.

Also when you refer to "accurate knowledge of the self" this makes me think of GI Gurdjieff, since he spoke in those terms, but I'm pretty sure the "self" to him was different from what we call type. Most people won't follow the concepts of Gurdjieff anyways, doesn't mean they can't grow as people.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few things here.

Type cannot be changed and is a kind of auto-pilot. However, certain things can be improved and knowing your type helps in the personal growth process imo. For personal growth, there is an article by Gulenko on his website (can't find it now since their search feature only seems to recognize Russian) about depression and how it relates to the ignoring function. A person has a lot of information in their ignoring function but not a alot of energy, therefore one knows what to do about it but usually doesn't do it. For example, EIE has a good idea of what makes relations work (Fi) but has a hard time with their actual relations with others. The message of the article was that trying to change oneself via the ignoring can actually lead to depression because one is let down with oneself. Gulenko says it's better to focus on the role, for example an EIE focusing on what needs to be done in work matters (Te) would represent a better process of growth since the person is more able to implement the information concerning one's role.

That's just Gulenko's pov, but I thought it was interesting and the point you are bringing up made me think of that. I think knowing typology should help in the process of self-growth, that's kinda the point, so I don't want to be misunderstood as saying that type-related knowledge is not worth using in self-growth because it is.

Also when you refer to "accurate knowledge of the self" this makes me think of GI Gurdjieff, since he spoke in those terms, but I'm pretty sure the "self" to him was different from what we call type. Most people won't follow the concepts of Gurdjieff anyways, doesn't mean they can't grow as people.
    Agree with every word you just uttered, dude. I hadn't disagreed with your original assessment only attempted to open the floor further interpretation. I'm Se. I grasp it, can explain it then give helpful examples. I can also recognize Si, explain it but wouldn't be much help to others. I can, however, suggest people who are more qualified to supply that function instead.

We're making similar points, just explaining it different. I find the dichotomy between the base & ignoring fascinating, especially the way one is almost forced to choose base out of necessity.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    It’s not a preference. This is how I’m wired.

Tbh I prefer Se or Ne any day of the week. Si is boring, tedious, and energy-sucking.
    I appreciate the humility & honesty but I know tons of Si-valuers who need people just like you. Interesting how, regardless of the way we view ourselves, there are others out there who think we're freaking awesome. Crazy world, huh

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is what you want to know how one perceives ignoring vs base and how they concretely act about each domaines?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't really prefer it. I just - go in these long Ni rants so naturally. Looking back at myself it's like 'goddamnit you Ni ego you'

TIM
    LII 5w6-1w9-2w1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is simply because I resembles a specific type of information metabolism.

TIM
    LII 5w6-1w9-2w1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For personal growth, there is an article by Gulenko on his website (can't find it now since their search feature only seems to recognize Russian) about depression and how it relates to the ignoring function.
    Профилактика депрессий - рекомендации соционики, как типам избежать депрессивных состояний (socioniks.net)

Probably this one?

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Agree with every word you just uttered, dude. I hadn't disagreed with your original assessment only attempted to open the floor further interpretation. I'm Se. I grasp it, can explain it then give helpful examples. I can also recognize Si, explain it but wouldn't be much help to others. I can, however, suggest people who are more qualified to supply that function instead.

We're making similar points, just explaining it different. I find the dichotomy between the base & ignoring fascinating, especially the way one is almost forced to choose base out of necessity.
    No worries, I got what you were getting at as well with your original point, I felt it was valid, but that I just needed to reframe and build upon it a little haha.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flowers and sugar View Post
    Is what you want to know how one perceives ignoring vs base and how they concretely act about each domaines?
    Partially. I was asking why one prefers base over ignoring, in specific detail. Of course we're wired a certain way but I was curious about the how's, why's & personal accounts if people wanted to share.

Your post is relevant. You're free to explain how you concretely deal with your base/ignoring dichotomy. Sounds awesome

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my case, I need to see change and results in the external world to feel satisfied with my life, so all extroverted functions are given privilege, even though I try to "use" Ti/Te with a lot of concentration but it is more as a way to solve what intuition alone can't do, like organizing my life and defining what I want to accomplish
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It is better to stay away from Nihilism and go for Necrosis instead.

Ok, I kind of process past sort of trendy stuff but my mind wants to process future timeless trajectories on paper as definite things with inventable procedures. "I can't begin to deconstruct my formulaic answer" has never been on my mind - I tend to look for the tiniest exception just for the heck of it - and it can give new novel solutions.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Partially. I was asking why one prefers base over ignoring, in specific detail. Of course we're wired a certain way but I was curious about the how's, why's & personal accounts if people wanted to share.

Your post is relevant. You're free to explain how you concretely deal with your base/ignoring dichotomy. Sounds awesome
    hm, okay. I wasn't sure how to think about what you wrote, so thanks.

The way I see Ne is that it holds infinite potential, but you gotta stop at some point or you will go nowhere... or a little everywhere. It's more of a search for a path that leads me to brainstorm or seek ideas. I feel like I'm going in a straight line, but looking back, it's twists and turns. I know I have better Ne than I should, C subtype sounds like a good explaination to me. I'm also a 9, so seeking all perceptions in a quest for peace is a big thing for me. Is it working? Not always, lol.
    Sometimes tho I get stuck in too many possibilities, there's so many paths with about equal advantages and disadvantages that I don't know where to go. None strike me as more practical or more usefull, while I don't know if I want any option. I do better when "stuck" on a path to carry it out than pick one.
    I also think about Ne that it's not because you can that you should, tho it can be applied easily to all functions. Ne stuff is more of a mean to an end, I used to ask people for their favorite color so I'd brainstorm an idea for a drawing. Well, brainstorm, write down a list of words until one inspired me.
    At the same time as I see the importance of many ideas and possibilities, because life doesn't always go how you want it to, I prefer to commit to something and adjust later.
    I don't like people telling me I have creative or innovative ideas, it's not the point, I'm going somewhere with this. I can talk wide about a topic, and all nuances are aimed to redirect to the essence. Doesn't always work, lol.
    I drop a path when it leads nowhere, or when the obstacles aren't worth what's behind them; I mourn the path. I don't like very much jumping between ideas and going over a bunch fast, I'm a slow thinker and I like diving in one topic at a time.
    Slow thinker... I mean, slow, end of line, lol.
    I do have a fast mode too, but it's more in doing things.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flowers and sugar View Post
    hm, okay. I wasn't sure how to think about what you wrote, so thanks.

The way I see Ne is that it holds infinite potential, but you gotta stop at some point or you will go nowhere... or a little everywhere. It's more of a search for a path that leads me to brainstorm or seek ideas. I feel like I'm going in a straight line, but looking back, it's twists and turns. I know I have better Ne than I should, C subtype sounds like a good explaination to me. I'm also a 9, so seeking all perceptions in a quest for peace is a big thing for me. Is it working? Not always, lol.
    Sometimes tho I get stuck in too many possibilities, there's so many paths with about equal advantages and disadvantages that I don't know where to go. None strike me as more practical or more usefull, while I don't know if I want any option. I do better when "stuck" on a path to carry it out than pick one.
    I also think about Ne that it's not because you can that you should, tho it can be applied easily to all functions. Ne stuff is more of a mean to an end, I used to ask people for their favorite color so I'd brainstorm an idea for a drawing. Well, brainstorm, write down a list of words until one inspired me.
    At the same time as I see the importance of many ideas and possibilities, because life doesn't always go how you want it to, I prefer to commit to something and adjust later.
    I don't like people telling me I have creative or innovative ideas, it's not the point, I'm going somewhere with this. I can talk wide about a topic, and all nuances are aimed to redirect to the essence. Doesn't always work, lol.
    I drop a path when it leads nowhere, or when the obstacles aren't worth what's behind them; I mourn the path. I don't like very much jumping between ideas and going over a bunch fast, I'm a slow thinker and I like diving in one topic at a time.
    Slow thinker... I mean, slow, end of line, lol.
    I do have a fast mode too, but it's more in doing things.
    Helpful stuff.

Is Ne your base or ignoring?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Helpful stuff.

Is Ne your base or ignoring?
    Ignoring.

TIM
    IEE 8w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it's just because it's easy to get things done with Te and I'm not stuck on more theoretical concepts as much.