Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fi sensitivity

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fi sensitivity

Are Fi types more "sensitive"?
    Last edited by Iwantpeace; 09-07-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi types are sensitive in a sophisticated way. So just because you are a Fe-whore that does not mean you that you have your back clear being a dickhole.

Thank me later, once this statement of mine becomes your reality. Or don't evolve, like at all, you mole person.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think generally speaking (how accurate this is depends on where your Fe/Fi is placed, other values etc.):

Fi valuers: Offended by over the top sexuality, crude joke/humor. Fan fiction that goes too far with sex or violence. Too much campiness.

Fe valuers: Offended by people trying to deflate their energy. Offended by people trying to make the social atmosphere way too serious over merry.

To me, Fe is very NYC nightlife gay and Fi is very traditional conservative heterosexual. Okay that's a little too extreme but you know what I mean.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Fe valuers often make jokes about buttsex when a Fi valuer is trying to be sophisticated.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bulletsanddoves View Post
    Yeah, Fe valuers often make jokes about buttsex when a Fi valuer is trying to be sophisticated.
    In my experience it's often in the reverse. Not gonna make an 'oral' joke.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi is Candace Cameron Bure

Fe is Lady Gaga

rl its more subtle than this but you get the idea.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't know if Fi egos are are overall more easily offended in terms of quantity/frequency of offense but I think a few things contribute to this perception: 1) their buttons are sometimes idiosyncratic and it can be difficult to predict what will offend them unless you know them well, 2) they're confident in their perception that you said/did something 'wrong' even if it isn't globally perceived as a wrong, and 3) they're constantly evaluating how they stand in relation to you and how subjectively good/bad they feel you are, so if they're offended it carries a certain weight with respect to your relationship (this is probably true for anyone but it's more at the forefront with them). These things can be nerve racking to deal with.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sorrows View Post
    Are Fi types more "sensitive"? I unknowingly will offend Fi types and they won't acknowledge it at the moment but I will get the hint months later that some random comment offended them. Generally, I am decent socially and try to be consider others. This has happened mostly with Deltas, but also with some Gammas.
    People can appear sensitive to others when their rules of interaction disagree. Each quadra has things that can be discussed openly and without restraint. They also have things that they consider sacred and private. Because of the differences in valued functions, the things that each quadra will be sensitive about will be different. You're most likely to label someone sensitive when you're crossing quadra lines.

So, no, Fi is not uniquely sensitive.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good point. What are IEEs sensitive about compared to ESEs?
    I forgot to mention this in my first post: it's often not the content itself but the manner or context in which something is mentioned.

It also depends on person as well as decade. People are generally more sensitive to offense than they used to be. That's why you see among the younger crowd a move toward creating restraint on free speech in countries like the USA that used to value it. There's also a liberal/conservative divide as to what's considered offensive, so it's not just related to type.

As far as what offends IEEs, I'm not sure. I'm not the easily offended sort myself. I could more easily tell you about what irritates me than what offends me.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realize this is kinda hypocritical of me as I am an infp and very sensitive myself, and sometimes really easily offended- but I wish the world as a whole would stop being this huge pussy over everything. It's annoying. They over-react and label situations as abusive when they're not, they're trying to be some moral cop without looking at their own dark shit and working on it. The world has gone insane with this shit, none of us have the right to not be offended. Living life.. you're going to get offended, and it's not always everybody else's fault.

ps: I'm not picking on only Fi valuers here, just everybody in the world.

how-to-never-be-offended-L-ShJl6H.jpeg

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Webster Dictionary's definition, (adj) offensive:

- causing someone to feel hurt, angry, or upset.

- rude or insulting.

Id like to think we use the term "offensive" more so with the secondary definition and more on the terms of finding someone or something insulting, but from this whole definition, I find Fe to be highly prone to offense. I'm constantly double checking my words around them, especially my IEIs, and yet somehow they read between the lines and end up taking offense, getting hurt, and shutting down anyways.

It happens so often that Ive had periods where I just don't talk to them at all for awhile.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point. What are IEEs sensitive about compared to ESEs?
    Unless I'm just completely blind and out of tune with my own nature, I agree with @Aramas that it's difficult to trigger a genuine response of offense in me. Thinking back however, I do recall feeling offense when someone insisted that their ability to sympathize with someone else was much greater and deeper than mine. Naturally, this statement was made by an Fe valuer.

I recall feeling offense in the lack of recognition that I have an internal emotional world, and just because I don't always wear it on my sleeve doesn't mean I'm not feeling things deeply. Especially when it comes to sympathizing with others. I'm more prone to go cry and pray privately in my room later on than have an emotional meltdown right there with the individual.

Something about not being understood, or even worse, having my internal emotional world under valued or written off was incredibly offensive.

Apart from that, I haven't found a whole lot that can dig at me.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@applejacks I have done the IEI 'shutting down' thing before though it wasn't so much that I was hurt myself is that I was overly empathetic and too afraid I'd hurt others with my own views on things.... I have been told before by some others how disgusted I made them feel. So it was better to keep quiet then 'disgusting' them with my points. I'm not overly sensitive... it's a mistake. I'm overly sensitive for everybody else.

And no, I don't like to babysit other people's emotional worlds but I do like it when people do the same for mine. I suck in this way I guess. I want to improve myself in this area. I have really always wanted to value Fi a bit more (while still keeping my natural Fe value ness high).

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@applejacks I have done the IEI 'shutting down' thing before though it wasn't so much that I was hurt myself is that I was overly empathetic and too afraid I'd hurt others with my own views on things.... I have been told before by some others how disgusted I made them feel. So it was better to keep quiet then 'disgusting' them with my points. I'm not overly sensitive... it's a mistake. I'm overly sensitive for everybody else.

And no, I don't like to babysit other people's emotional worlds but I do like it when people do the same for mine. I suck in this way I guess. I want to improve myself in this area. I have really always wanted to value Fi a bit more (while still keeping my natural Fe value ness high).
    My question would be - how can Fi and Fe give each other genuine, honest feedback in the form of friendly advice (healthy criticism) without stepping on toes? This has been the hardest struggle in a friendship for me. I would hope a friend could gently and lovingly help me with a blind spot. I'm not sure IEIs feel the same way.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

idk, in my experience it takes somebody with like Fe demonstrative but Fi valuing (like SEEs) that helps IEI with a lot of Fi crap. (helping them be more empathetic with Fi valuers , IEI is already very good at Fi- but helping them value/show compassion & empathy for those who value it more directly & strongly.) . My benefactor (ESI) is also good at helping me with it. Deltas don't share any valued function with betas and we often need a third party of an alpha or gamma to bridge the gap.

So maybe your own semi-dual or benefactor can assist you in the same way. Though I've personally never had any problems with you despite you clearly being very delta.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

idk, in my experience it takes somebody with like Fe demonstrative but Fi valuing (like SEEs) that helps IEI with a lot of Fi crap. (helping them be more empathetic with Fi valuers , IEI is already very good at Fi- but helping them value/show compassion & empathy for those who value it more directly & strongly.) . My benefactor (ESI) is also good at helping me with it. Deltas don't share any valued function with betas and we often need a third party of an alpha or gamma to bridge the gap.

So maybe your own semi-dual or benefactor can assist you in the same way. Though I've personally never had any problems with you despite you clearly being very delta.
    Youve actually been insightful and helpful to me in this thread. So, thank you!

And of course, I have no problem with you or any IEI. I just can't seem to crack our miscommunication problems. I suppose these things are at the heart of socionics and why some relationships are easier or more fluid than others.

Sometimes I wish I had a magical Beta Hat.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people have weird triggers. I remember the following:

- Work dinner end of December with 20-25 colleagues. I ask a colleague about a specific problem he had in his geographical area (which btw he solved successfully). Apparently later someone told me that he felt like i was "socially invalidating" him by referring to some problem in his work (I was actually interested in his solution). I think the guy is beta ST.

- Dinner with some close friends. SEE female friend bakes a cake. I like it, reminds me of some cake my mother used to do with this ready-made powders from the supermarket. I ask her what kind of powder did she use? And she replies with the name, super embarassed / a bit pissed off. Later, a friend tells me that she always boasts she bakes every cake completely from scratch, and I involuntarily "busted" her cover...
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe in some ways they keep trying to look for something, inside of you, that's just not there and they feel empty because of that.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Same lol xD

I remembered one time, real life scenario :

We're in a group, and then i noticed that my infp friend doesn't look like having a good time. She's just serious and then i just asked her (only because I'm concerned)

"are you okay!?"

Then she reacted negatively on it.. She said something like,
    "do i even look I'm not okay?!!!!"

Okay then another one Fi user friend.. We're all getting along very well, but I don't know.. Because sometimes I'm being myself and very out of place that i sometimes fail to check on her.. It's just this.. She'll just stop acting normally with you, and you know there's something wrong with what you did.. But you don't have any idea what it is.. D

It's really hard to read them actually. Probably they're more prone to passive-aggressiveness, i think.

Plus my another infp online friend. I actually don't share my Facebook online.. We're all getting along well.. But he's asking my Facebook but i don't give it...because online is online and real life is real life. That's two different things. But i just mentioned him that i added someone in real life like my pastor on Facebook and I'm complaining now i cannot say something lewd there xDD then he just suddenly got silenced.. And then after one week he's silent.. Then I'd found out that hes mad at me because i didn't add him on Facebook and he's complaining like as if i don't trust him.. wtfffff xDD

Man that's really stupid. I just explained him that i don't like using Facebook and it's stupid to just rate your friendship only on online social media. Like i have to say or open his eyes that not everyone on Facebook is my real friend. And not because we're on friends on Facebook is we're really not friends.

My mother as well. She's very sensitive lol xD

they seem like have trust issues.. No matter how close you two can get..

They just have a different ways of viewing things i guess.. And mostly, they blame themselves..

You just have to adjust yourself i guess and explain things clearly to them.

They're nice people but just sensitive.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fi-types aren't necessarily more sensitive; however they do often allow small offences to fester - turning molehills into mountains. They tend to not immediately communicate their displeasure or clear the air while there's opportunity to clarify; instead, they go away and think about it, sometimes adding their own dark, unfounded suppositions to the fire.
    a.k.a I/O

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Rebelondeck

god damnit that was so spot on.

To be fair , Fe valuers probably make light of situations that we shouldn't. But Fi valuers make heavy of situations that they shouldn't.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They may or may not be more sensitive, however they can detect and regulate it better. Base does so constantly perhaps beyond what is necessary to do (hence suggestive), creative sporadically, adapting or not without much sense (hence PoLR). I personally control how much I let something get to me as I seek to interact, what I tolerate and what not, what bridges to build and what not, where to agree and where not, where to ease the convo or not. Conversely, I see the attitude of the other person, and decide how to navigate, repel, or cooperate. When I get offended or offend another it has purpose since I want to prove a point, that was the initial idea - egos will be deliberate. It's not some visceral reaction, "OH GOD!!! I HATE THIS!! I'M SO HURT!". That only happens when the type wants to make their position clear. EII likely won't do that in an overt manner, that's the exception. SEE would be the one since the demonstrative hammer is delivered as well for some impactful (!) upheaval ESI will not get offended for its own sake either, they want to remove the source of offense instead so of course they avoid fueling it. It's always interesting to draw the comparison to which will be more straightforward and reactive in whatever way, but they can just get as offended. After all, offense needs a reaction:

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post

- Work dinner end of December with 20-25 colleagues. I ask a colleague about a specific problem he had in his geographical area (which btw he solved successfully). Apparently later someone told me that he felt like i was "socially invalidating" him by referring to some problem in his work (I was actually interested in his solution). I think the guy is beta ST.

- Dinner with some close friends. SEE female friend bakes a cake. I like it, reminds me of some cake my mother used to do with this ready-made powders from the supermarket. I ask her what kind of powder did she use? And she replies with the name, super embarassed / a bit pissed off. Later, a friend tells me that she always boasts she bakes every cake completely from scratch, and I involuntarily "busted" her cover...
    Lol, these offenses make total sense to me but I wouldn't necessarily predict them beforehand. That's why I'm super quiet around people until I sorta have them figured out. But the consequences of that are probably worse.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    Fi-types aren't necessarily more sensitive; however they do often allow small offences to fester - turning molehills into mountains. They tend to not immediately communicate their displeasure or clear the air while there's opportunity to clarify; instead, they go away and think about it, sometimes adding their own dark, unfounded suppositions to the fire.
    a.k.a I/O
    Please roast us salty Deltas but not the Gamma SFs please is all about immediacy and resolving the conflict as it comes, going to the root and reconciling with . SEE won't just retreat and ponder and amass baseless grudges in their imagination where it gets darker and darker like in Balzac's inner landscape They come at you and slight back asap, what annoys them gets countered. They don't sweat the small things either, sensing is pragmatic.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Chae

How does one earn a Fi-valuer's forgiveness or is it impossible?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    Lol, these offenses make total sense to me but I wouldn't necessarily predict them beforehand. That's why I'm super quiet around people until I sorta have them figured out. But the consequences of that are probably worse.
    I understand the first guy, the second no, because it is something completely idiosyncratic to her - also she is a farlo close friend, no need to keep up the Image.

Even in the first case, i knew the person managed to solve the problem (otherwise ofc i wouldnt have asked)..
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Please roast us salty Deltas but not the Gamma SFs please is all about immediacy and resolving the conflict as it comes, going to the root and reconciling with . SEE won't just retreat and ponder and amass baseless grudges in their imagination where it gets darker and darker like in Balzac's inner landscape They come at you and slight back asap, what annoys them gets countered. They don't sweat the small things either, sensing is pragmatic.
    Gamma SFs are also like Delta NFs in this part imo. I knew an SEE who would not voice that he was hurted by what was said (especially if it's coming from a dear person) but they will do so when they reach their limits but for IEEs and EIIs I noticed that if they reach their limits, they just disappear.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While is about expression, is about reflection. Consequently, if you offend an type, they're more likely to let you know right away. On the other hand, if you offend an type, they're more likely to process those feelings internally.

Between an and an type, this difference often creates communication breakdowns. Even in cases where all parties involved recognize the cause for the communication breakdown, the preference for one function over the other still unconsciously undermines attempts as bridging the gap.
    Last edited by Desert Financial; 12-22-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah even when both the Fi and Fe valuer are trying their hardest to be nice to each other- you still feel the strain and its energistically exhausting.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    .......... SEE won't just retreat and ponder and amass baseless grudges in their imagination...........They come at you and slight back asap, what annoys them gets countered. They don't sweat the small things either, sensing is pragmatic.
    I've seen both IEEs and SEEs build resentment up to explosive states. They don't seem to sweat the small things but the small things often seem to accumulate to something uncontrollable. The so-called sensitivity often seems masked by their tendency to avoid confrontation; instead, they try to laugh things off or jokingly spar with the perpetrators, but down deep, there can be a deadly serious accumulation that can come out when least expected........

a.k.a. I/O

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This stuff is getting to the level of too much personality and coping methods being confused with type. The glass is not that clear.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Seems such. Fe types are more rude but after quarrel are easier to restore same communication.
    Fi types are more polite and hold aggression inside, feel the offence deeper, accumulate it. So passive-aggressive style like stay and feel offenced is more about them.
    From their view - they rise a distance with the ones who hurted them and such care about own emotional comfort (Fi).

But to get vengence are more chances from Fe types.

Fi with E-9 are worst in this. They may be offenced unexpectedly strong on a minor thing, just because their unconscious accumulated previous dislikes about you. Or they are more touchy than you ever expected. They may not say you bad words to discharge their emotions, but just will keep you away for long. And you'll have almost zero possibility to resolve the situation on rational level as they will not listen you. Massaraksh.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scarper View Post
    This stuff is getting to the level of too much personality and coping methods being confused with type. The glass is not that clear.
    Coping mechanisms are very integral to type; I often feel more confident about type determination when I also observe the person dealing with stress - it's a sort of parity check......

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Fi with E-9 are worst in this. They may be offenced unexpectedly strong on a minor thing, just because their unconscious accumulated previous dislikes about you.
    Im not e9 but I plead guilty to this.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post

Reminds me of something that happened with a relative. I walked into the kitchen one day, noticing that something smelled bad and said, "What stinks?" She was immediately angry and hurt and said, "It's coffee and it smells GOOD!" My reaction: woops.

Her type: ESE

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    Im not e9 but I plead guilty to this.
    To make the problems worse unconscious negative complex distorts the work of weak functions when they interact with you on themes close to past dislikes. So they may not only to show inadequate degree of being offenced, but also may do this by inadequate reason.
    In my experience I was charged in breaking my promise, while I never did that promise! I pointed on this several times, and the last time I tried to discuss with giving the citations, what I got in return was "I forgave you already for that, so there is nothing to discuss". That happened after I've rejected to give some personal info, and before that I rejected to give other personal info - so the unconscious anger was accumulated and then discharged by strange offence and complaints.

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coping mechanisms are very integral to type; I often feel more confident about type determination when I also observe the person dealing with stress - it's a sort of parity check......

a.k.a. I/O
    They are

However, just as you said in your last quote to me, there's an overlap of functions eg, T and F.

It would not be the first time I've seen an ILI 'moralize' an SEE, eg, you should not say that, that can offend someone, not PC, cost your job etc.

In alleged layman's terms, there's enneagram to explain another facet of behavior above type.

Just be careful not to obfuscate type, individuals and groups

Or perhaps remember not everyone else does

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Scarper, it's a little more complicated. The overlap regions, which are partial information sets, are best accessed by one's secondary configuration - in a sense, one temporarily takes on a dual-like persona. The actual behaviour will be dual-like; however, the resulting perspective is more superego-like because eventually your normal processes take over and translate the dual-like results to something more understandable to your normal processes.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is interesting and partially what inspired me to start this thread. I have IEE friends who I am close with-all of a sudden they will kind of seem cool. I can't figure out what I did/said. Then months later they will reappear and we will talk as if nothing happened, and we will kind of reunite as if nothing happened. It is like a distancing that periodically occurs in these relationships.

With EIIs they might get offended more by something I have said and will tell me that something I said "pushed" them. Although that might be an Se-polr issue vs 4d Se issue.
    Your IEE friend behavior sounds like something I do, although not intentionally. There are people around me that I genuinely enjoy, but my focus with an indicidiaul tends to be so narrow and intense that it's hard to maintain so many at once. And yet I get along with many people, so I find myself shuffling and re-shuffling the deck of friends, so to speak, and making my rounds from time to time.

That may come across as disingenuous. I try my best to keep one or two people close, but I can't seem to keep a persistent enough energy to handle them all at once. EP, perhaps? My energy goes from 200% to 2%, so I find myself working and resting / socializing and hermiting in cycles.

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Scarper, it's a little more complicated. The overlap regions, which are partial information sets, are best accessed by one's secondary configuration - in a sense, one temporarily takes on a dual-like persona. The actual behaviour will be dual-like; however, the resulting perspective is more superego-like because eventually your normal processes take over and translate the dual-like results to something more understandable to your normal processes.

a.k.a. I/O
    Cool

In my work related team there is an ILI manager, an ESE 'second in command', the ILI enjoys the ESE's energy, for myself, I enjoy her energy too, and her honesty about my interpersonal relationships, mixed in with her laughter at my jokes (who doesn't enjoy one's own jokes being laughed at?).

So, it could be, i've typed the ESE incorrectly, it's an SEE, or myself, but, it just seems all this stuff is really a bit far fetched ....

But, to go back to the point, if one has sussed all this out, and it fits the system, then one ascribes behaviors such as, 'Fi are passive aggressive', 'Fe types gossip', well, there's a nugget of truth to it.

I just can't work out how much truth of it is going to help me in my life (ie, is it theory, or useful).

Or, the IEE I argued with ... she got her team to work hard whilst it's quiet, then when it's busy they had their team meeting. Seems weird to me, relax when it's quiet, work when it's busy [it's common sense?], yet (as anyone would be likely not to), she didn't like my opinion on the subject.

So, as much as this stuff matters, maybe, it just seems weird to try to fit it above an idea of 'there is generalized ideas of types', but no specifics.

Sorry for the questions, but, thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast