Thread: 1 vs 8 vs 9?

TIM
    ILI-Ni, 5w6 sp/so
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post 1 vs 8 vs 9?

I've been trying to figure out my friends gut type with his corresponding wing, but to no avail.

He is a perfectionist and cares a great deal about self improvement. However, he doesn't do it for moral reasons and doesn't consider himself immoral if he doesn't do the right thing. My friend follows rules if its to his benefit and doesn't mind cutting corners to get ahead. Also, he keeps his anger in until it explodes out. Furthermore, he doesn't relate to the core fear of enneagram type 1.

As for enneagram 9, he doesn't openly express his anger, but he's not afraid of his anger. He's extremely assertive,but in an argumentative way. He's not afraid to disturb the peace if something irrational is said or, if he's taken advantage of. Furthermore, my friend never goes out looking for a fight, in fact he hates confrontations. If he is threatened however, he is fearless in an enneagram 8 way.

Out of all the gut types, he relates strongest to the core fear of enneagram 8. He values his autonomy to a fault and rarely, if ever seldom asks for help. Moreover, he rarely expresses his anger in 8 fashion. Instead his anger is bottled up, until he loses it. He is more passive aggressive than, directly confrontational. Suffice to say that he is brutally honest in arguments and loves calling out peoples bs. He is insecure about being vulnerable to other people and as a result he puts a wall. Nonetheless, he's not physically assertive like most 8's. He picks and chooses his battles, as opposed to more 8's. He is deeply bothered by injustice and seeing weaker being taken advantage of, burn him to the core. His assertiveness is more argumentative, than demonstrative. While he generally follows rules, he's not moralistic about and makes exceptions for himself and others to break rules.

I would really appreciate anyone's input, thanks again!

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can relate to almost all what you've described, and I believe myself to have an 8w9 fix. But it is not my main type. Are you sure he has a gut type as his main type, or could he be something else?

TIM
    ILI-Ni, 5w6 sp/so
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's actually a 5w6, but his second fix is a gut type I believe. I was stuck between 8w9 and 9w8 because even though he's aggressive (intellectual and calling out BS) he's withdrawn at the same time. Which could be a 9ish thing or just due to his main type being 5w6. When faced with a conflict, he tries to handle it in a rational manner. If that doesn't work, then he becomes increasingly passive aggressive. At some point, he just loses it and completely eviscerates his target. When he blows up, but he feels bad afterwards. If he knows really well though, then he's verbally aggressive.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Consider type fears, vices and motivations.Thats the best way of getting one's type. Behavior is not the best way to type ppl in enneagram.
    If you can't type him, ask him what he fears the most of those three (I don't know if he'd answer to you about his vices or even if you would dare to ask).

TIM
    ILI-Ni, 5w6 sp/so
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    Consider type fears, vices and motivations. Thats the best way of getting one's type. Behavior is not the best way to type ppl in enneagram.
    If you can't type him, ask him what he fears the most of those three (I don't know if he'd answer to you about his vices or even if you would dare to ask).
    I don't know if it has to do with him being a 5w6 and 3w4 as well.

In terms of fears, he relates with enneagram 8 the most and enneagram 1's moralistic fears the least. But he doesn't relate to the general behavior of 8's. He is aggressive, but its not in the typical 8 way. It takes him a few times to be disrespected before he attacks back. He relates to the 1's need for perfection, but cuts corners to reach his goals. He naturally doesn't like conflict unless someone pushes his buttons and is more passive aggressive, than direct like an 8. But at the same time 8w9 or 9w8 are the closest fits for him if I had to guess. Which of those type resonates most in your opinion?

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KrishnaRen View Post
    I don't know if it has to do with him being a 5w6 and 3w4 as well.

In terms of fears, he relates with enneagram 8 the most and enneagram 1's moralistic fears the least. But he doesn't relate to the general behavior of 8's. He is aggressive, but its not in the typical 8 way. It takes him a few times to be disrespected before he attacks back. He relates to the 1's need for perfection, but cuts corners to reach his goals. He naturally doesn't like conflict unless someone pushes his buttons and is more passive aggressive, than direct like an 8. But at the same time 8w9 or 9w8 are the closest fits for him if I had to guess. Which of those type resonates most in your opinion?
    Honestly that's too little info.
    Based in the fears you mention I'd say 8w9, but 9w8 could fit him as well.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is his sociotype?

TIM
    ILI-Ni, 5w6 sp/so
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavos View Post
    What is his sociotype?
    ILI-Ni

TIM
    ILI-Ni, 5w6 sp/so
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    Consider type fears, vices and motivations. Thats the best way of getting one's type. Behavior is not the best way to type ppl in enneagram.
    I had him read http://personalitycafe.com/enneagram...tivations.html, and he relates to 8 slightly more than 9.

Just a quick question, can 3w4's have a perfection complex like a enneagram 1?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

1 wants order (But can take some questionable paths to get it), 8s are comfortable in chaos, 9 don't want order or chaos they just want outer peace for the most part. Think of 1 as gods messenger, 8 as lucifer/the devil, 9 is neither or inbeteeen. 8w7 is softer than 8w9 btw. Because 7 is fun and positive, 9 is stubborn and a 9wing makes one pretty unyielding. I have a family friend who is 8w7 and I was a little shy around him as a kid because he was loud and impactful it felt like. Often wanting to joke around and raise his voice when I wasn't prepared for it. And I found him intrusive. He never did anything bad though. I had a music teacher who was 8w9, he was less jokes and more serious. People usually disliked him and he made some girls in my class cry because he's so straightforward and noncaring and unyielding. If someone wanted something from him they would usually go through another teacher because you just can't argue with him. So stubborn and confident in his opinions and would make you feel/seem like a moron. He wasn't THAT intelligent though. 1s are pretty unyielding too though. Judge Judy is a 1, but see how her profession is about creating order and punishing the bad guys.

Regarding your question about 1 and 3, 1s have perfection complex when it comes to the outside and their environment (needs order). While 3 are self focused and would care about themselves being and looking perfect (=attractive).
    Last edited by maniac; 10-13-2017 at 07:13 AM.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KrishnaRen View Post
    I had him read http://personalitycafe.com/enneagram...tivations.html, and he relates to 8 slightly more than 9.

Just a quick question, can 3w4's have a perfection complex like a enneagram 1?
    In my experience, yes.
    3w4 males that I've known want to prove themselves and others that they are capable and succesful, big part of their ego rely in their image: how they appear to others or how they are seen. w4 force them to be different or special, to make a difference. The 3w4 that I know is very stressed and perfectionistic. While females tend too work more in their physical appearance and personality, males tend to do it through work. The movie the founder is a good example (he's unhealthy, obviously). 3 can be ambitious but not of power/control (8), but prestige.
    Last edited by Hope; 10-13-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    "All nations will place their hope in him."
    (Mt 12:21)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Consider the 3 for him!