Thread: "Follow your dreams"

TIM
    SLE.Wait...Shit, EII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "Follow your dreams"

What do you think about this quote ? Is this an ENFP thing ?

Interestingly, Christopher Nolan (ESTp) said that it was common thought, and "follow your reality" would be better.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-speech-799121

There is basically some stance with this :

- "follow your dreams, it's happiness". "If you make your passion your work, you will be perma happy, and your potential will be revealed". I'm inclined to at least secretely think like that, but not to the extend of forgetting about all domain in life (and reason - not every passion can be sustainable in material term).

- "Following your dream is a thing for kid, real life is not like that". I think this pseudo empowering moral is BS (When I hear that I hear "I can deal with reality I'm so strong" in reality). Not following your passion is kinda "normal" when you need to deal with normal life constraint, but it's not ideal. What give you energy is passion, trying to remove it remove energy for many thing. And Ill admit it, personnal pride is important : if you succeed with something personnal, even if it's small, it give you confidence for all domain in life, far more than "forced work" (employement). Remembering the times when I kicked myself in the back to do music is is remembering to one of the best decision Ive made in my life (wich lead to the best time of my life atm).

- "Following your dream is egoistical" > given as justification of previous point. I think it's a glitch. In fact, when you are into something, into a "road" (doing your passion) and completely integrated into it, you are actually MORE AWARE of your surrounding (in term of people). Perhaps it come from a need of people to work with you ? idk. You attract more and more like minded ppl and chore/formal relationship become enjoyable as they stop to be a goal in themself. You become pretty positive and more open. I extended my friend circle by 300% after beginning to work on passion, and this is not only a result of the domain, but me being more confident then more "open" to other. There is more give & take into relationships.

- "Following your dream is a fail on resilience" > I just invented this one, and this is true and false at the same time. Yes you will be somewhat more "fixed" on one subject, but at the same time dreams are often not feasible in reality. When you accomplish dream, you are in a state of quasi permanent resilience, trying to link dream & realities.
    And do you remember your dream as child ? They are impossible to realize isn't it ? Do you see how much you "modified" them ? They become more and more feasible...

- "If everyone followed their dream, society would be BS" > not everyone want to follow their dream

- "If you consider your work as your passion, nothing will be work" > BS. you can have 10000 different work but passion come and go not in a way directed by societal stuff

- "follow your reality" : kinda self actualization ?

Sorry for this "mbti forum-like" post
    Last edited by noaydi; 01-22-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think don't give do what you love advice to people living do what you gotta do lives.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This morning, I shook someone's hand in my dream. This afternoon, I shook his hand irl. That counts, right?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    SLE.Wait...Shit, EII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have now confidence !

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adulthood means giving up on becoming everything you wanted to be, and instead becoming one thing you want to be.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    SLE.Wait...Shit, EII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it can be a bit summed up like that.

Personnally I never followed "more than a dream", but before adulthood my dreams didn't stop to change with time but in a time I didn't have more than one.

Morals of "no dreams" annoy me a bit, that's not honest imo. The one who say that become somewhat rageous often. No light into their life, obtain things by refusing things
    Last edited by noaydi; 01-23-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't let your memes be memes

TIM
    SLE.Wait...Shit, EII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, do it

There is a kind of conflicting stance with all that wich is about the perception that "if I didn't wanted to accomplish my dreams at first, I would have avoided many psychological problems.". Daydreaming without the desire to accomplish it is more complete than what it become in adulthood.
    Dream analysis is food for thought about personnal life (daydreaming or while sleeping)

ya "follow your dream" is really "meme", but imo it have some validity...

TIM
    SLE.Wait...Shit, EII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn I'm already in love with the gaze of the girl of your avatar

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who cares about what christopher nolan says. i don´t get these people who want to "give you real life advice" without you requesting it. as if humans aren´t free to just tell them to fuck off and die.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's kind of a fluffy platitude. What if your dream is to kill a bunch of people. Should you follow it then?

TIM
    SLE.Wait...Shit, EII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it's platitude 100% aware of this.
    I think that you have many things in your dreams: love, war, and all kind of possible stuff. Some ppl tend to identify to one things into them, other into other things.... For my "kill people" dream Ive choosen to think that it represent other things in reality than purely killing ppl

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easier said than done.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve." - Napoleon Hill

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    "Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve." - Napoleon Hill
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-...780858.htmlore

I actually read "Think and Grow Rich". I liked it. It was given to me by an ILI.

Personally I think the idea of follow your dreams is a bit fluffy but if someone tells me to follow my intuition or my instincts I understand how to do that. Thing is no matter what you choose to follow you still need to use discernment. Thankfully I recognized some of my dreams were nothing more than fleeting interests even if they floated around in my head for months or years. I could discern that they were in the realm of fantasy so I would remind myself to be careful what I wished for since I might get it.

When I really want something I find a way. I can look back at some "dreams" and admit I never wanted them enough to make it happen. If I did, it would have. I don't have regrets. I lay them in the graveyard of forgotten dreams. Sometimes I visit only to pay my respects or laugh at myself.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I actually read "Think and Grow Rich". I liked it. It was given to me by an ILI.
    Yeah I read it a few years ago, and it really motivated me. But now I'm becoming unmotivated so maybe I'll need to read it again...

It might give a lot of Se motivation to Ni types.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Yeah I read it a few years ago, and it really motivated me. But now I'm becoming unmotivated so maybe I'll need to read it again...

It might give a lot of Se motivation to Ni types.
    I go through phases with my levels of motivation. When I am unmotivated I think of it as giving myself time to assimilate new information, experience, etc.. I wouldn't worry about it unless I was showing signs of depression along with the lack of motivation. Also, sometimes, I just need a break. I really notice this stuff now to the point where I not only recognize the cycles in myself but also in other people, like my iei brother.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

John Lennon had said "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." I followed the path of least resistance, which wasn't the direction I really wanted to go. I was lucky that I didn't follow my dreams. My motto has become "I'm happy that I'm still vertical after everything I've been through."

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    SLE.Wait...Shit, EII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Easier said than done.
    I don't think so ? it's about representation... What is troubling ?

TIM
    SLE.Wait...Shit, EII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Lennon had said "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." I followed the path of least resistance, which wasn't the direction I really wanted to go. I was lucky that I didn't follow my dreams. My motto has become "I'm happy that I'm still vertical after everything I've been through."
    I don't fundamentally disagree with that... But... Mmmhhh... No finally I disagree
    I prefer to have a kinda "center". Don't wan't to be an asshole but if I said "I'm happy that I'm still vertical after everything I've been through.", it's the last defense I can make, for example if illness are too much to endure and I can't do other thing than fighting.... I prefer to ignore illness (Ive had depression and depersonnalization in the past, separately)

What is "a.k.a. I/O" ? (edit okay I know)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If it's an IEE thing... follow your visions, yes. Dreams are something different.

Visions are ideas while dreams are often (romantic) fantasies. Ideas are much more applicable than fantasies. Fantasies entertain, ideas advance. That's pretty much Beta Ni+Fe VS Delta Ne+Te.

TIM
    SLE.Wait...Shit, EII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about...Visions was Fantaisie in the past ? (transformed into a "goal")
    Because I feel it's how it is.

I remember the precise time, the first time ive thinked "this daydream need to become a goal for myself" (long long long long ago)

It can even be :
    Fantaisie -> vision -> idea -> goal -> materialization -> WIN ^^

it's about fantasie becoming more and more pragmatic (& realistic, possibly feasible). One need always to keep an eye on the original source (fantaisie/vision) or be stuck in some loop ideation

As Ive said, Ive hard time to imagine myself not doing something from my "vision". Fantaisie was still better than vision thougth, fantaisie was more complete. In vision, you "orient"/"direct" your brain in a way

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noaydi View Post
    Damn I'm already in love with the gaze of the girl of your avatar
    u mirin bby?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=noaydi;1166702].........it's the last defense I can make,...........QUOTE]

My motto implies pride but that my expectations from life have decreased with age; however, it's not my nature to quit and I still believe that the best defence is an attack........

a.k.a I/O

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nolan
    "In the great tradition of these speeches, generally someone says something along the lines of 'Chase your dreams,' but I don't want to tell you that because I don't believe that," he told the students at Class Day. "I want you to chase your reality."
    I tend to think he is LIE, and this mostly sounds like Te > Fe.

TIM
    SLE.Wait...Shit, EII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You LII have always the most underground typing. Idk if this is from a troll soul but truth isn't about what is less commonplace possible

Able to build cases but not sure if able to fill them.

(I say that but Ive actually no idea if the consensus is SLE for Nolan)

edit :

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post

My motto implies pride but that my expectations from life have decreased with age; however, it's not my nature to quit and I still believe that the best defence is an attack........

a.k.a I/O
    Imo at the end there is no need to make value judgement toward these 2 life stance... there can be positive and negative. The stuff is like within said that no one should force the other to make "no dream life" / "accomplish dream life" (this is the main problem).

I feel a bit this "lower expectation" too, in a way that's great because actual things can be done, but that's not good for the mental side imo.
    Having strong/high value was better... In term of self love perhaps ? self respect ? Do you feel this too ?

sry for english I'm not native speaker
    Last edited by noaydi; 01-23-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

.....I feel a bit this "lower expectation" too, in a way that's great because actual things can be done, but that's not good for the mental side imo.
    Having strong/high value was better... In term of self love perhaps ? self respect ? Do you feel this too ?......
    My values and self-respect have not decreased but much of what I thought was important seems no longer important. Life has also rounded out the edges of my coldness, detachment and ruthlessness, which served me well in my career. I just had to realize that although work gave me security and possessions, the rest of life slipped by and I have yet been able to fully figure out what I missed.

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll follow my dreams until they form into a bridge with no cliff, encasing me until their spirits carry off into the piercing blade of openness, reentering the bowels of my heart, eternally disgusted by the idiocy of reality.

-#Pootree (Poetry)

BTW, do not use this for typing. It was a stream-of-consciousness thought, and just my imagination following the wind.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think so ? it's about representation... What is troubling ?
    Nothing is troubling. I'm only saying its easier to say follow your dreams then it will be to ACTUALY DO it.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    If it's an IEE thing... follow your visions, yes. Dreams are something different.

Visions are ideas while dreams are often (romantic) fantasies. Ideas are much more applicable than fantasies. Fantasies entertain, ideas advance. That's pretty much Beta Ni+Fe VS Delta Ne+Te.
    Hm interesting we interpret the same words a bit differently I do know that "vision" has both a Ne and a Ni side. For me it's more the Ni side. That's more about envisioned goals for me, tho'. That then I will go and achieve. I probably see this differently than a Ni ego would.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think about this quote ? Is this an ENFP thing ?
    I think it's a common sentiment. It can mean different things to different people, but is probably a lot more commonly heard from strategic types. http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p..._and_strategic

Tactical types may have ideas about what they'd like to do, but it's not in the form of a vision, dream, or end-point goal in the way that it is for strategic types. For me, I know what I'm going to be doing, and what I need to do, but I don't know where I'll "end up."

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    I think it's a common sentiment. It can mean different things to different people, but is probably a lot more commonly heard from strategic types. http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p..._and_strategic

Tactical types may have ideas about what they'd like to do, but it's not in the form of a vision, dream, or end-point goal in the way that it is for strategic types. For me, I know what I'm going to be doing, and what I need to do, but I don't know where I'll "end up."
    So that's why you didn't relate to what I said about being set on my course in the PoLR thread.

To elaborate though, for bigger things - call those the "visions", though I wouldn't call them "dreams", that sounds too much like crappy daydreaming - I don't envision every little detail of the end-goal, it's more like some general idea of where I want to be and its details can be formed/changed more. This can include upgrading the goal/"vision".

So in that sense I don't know exactly where I'll end up, yet I do have an end-goal of sorts. Make sense?

PS: I have no idea if that fits Tactical or Strategic. I've forgotten most of the Reinin bullshit by now, thanks to god.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alioth View Post
    don't let your memes be memes
    Yeah, be youyou-s.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

This is a bit besides the point, but I always thought Christopher Nolan is ILI-Te (So/Sp)...

"Every film should have its own world, a logic and feel to it that expands beyond the exact image that the audience is seeing."

"One of the things you do as a writer and as a filmmaker is grasp for resonant symbols and imagery without necessarily fully understanding it yourself."

New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a very human thing to have aspirations, where we'd like to see ourselves. These aspirations may change and evolve, or stay the same for our whole lives. How supportive other people are of us and our dreams can fuel people's outlook and philosophy on them. It may be a super idealized place that we envision ourselves, others may have a vision that's more cynical. I personally still continue to pursue aspirations and dreams. The real world may make it difficult, and we don't always get what we want. What we think we want may not be what we want in reality, or it may play out differently, but it doesn't mean we need to necessarily need to give up.

We only have a limited amount of time to follow our dreams, so it does take some planning. However those of us with higher ne may live in the fantasy of it, and that's a place of escape, and it's all about balance.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Eccentric Neurotic Narcissist andreasdevig's Avatar
    TIM
    FiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A true artist follows her dreams. A fake one follows the cash. (Or "reality" as Nolan puts it).

In order to make great movies (or other great works of art), you have to stay true to yourself and follow your inner visions and dreams, as I see it. Otherwise, we risk getting commercial crap like that movie I'm not gonna mention that featured Leo di Caprio and came out in 2010 and was about some people who try to plant an idea into someone's mind.

Maybe there is a redeeming feature of that movie, actually. If you follow the trendy/mainstream culture, it's like your ideas are not your own. You become a product of the culture around you. If you follow your reality, then your ideas are not your own (although maybe none of any of our ideas are our own, it's the illusion of identity/ego). You're just going along with whatever the world throws at you. That's not how great movies are made. Great movies are made by those that dare to be different, those that dare to follow their own inner visions and dreams.
    EII-INFj / INFP / Strong E4 and 9 energy / Melancholic-Phlegmatic / Musical-Intrapersonal-Spatial / Kinky-Sensual