Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Dante's Comedy

I think this is a terrible, overrated book. Surely the Italians could find a better poet to popularize than Dante!

What I think is the worst about Dante is he can't even make his Paradise sound different from Limbo. There are people weeping and gnashing their teeth in "Heaven" in the Comedy. Really. And the answer to anything regarding God is simply, "it's a mystery!"

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm going to up the Dante and say I think he was quite good. If he had been more of a chad, it would have been a great loss to humanity.

People who criticise it should end up in the very depths of hell along with Howard Bloom.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I'm going to up the Dante and say I think he was quite good. If he had been more of a chad, it would have been a great loss to humanity.

People who criticise it should end up in the very depths of hell along with Howard Bloom.
    I like his description of Hell quite a bit, I just think his description of Heaven sounds a lot like his description of Hell, and that's my problem with it. There's a reason you always hear about Dante's Inferno much more than the Purgatorio and the Paradiso almost never at all, and I don't think it's just people being low-minded.

I'm also not completely interested by his description of Hell. He goes on for pages and pages about random guys he knew and only gives a line or two about famous individuals. Come on! However, his description of the scenery sounds very convincing at least. I'm just not quite convinced he ever really left when he went to Mount Purgatory, or that the devils who guided him were quite honest. As we all know, the Devil is famous for his exceptional honesty.