Thread: The Godfather

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Godfather

Vito Corleone When I first saw The Godfather, I thought perhaps LSI, but SEE is especially prominent if you see Part II with Vito as a younger man. He knows exactly how to conquer the hearts and minds of individuals using his aptitude in Fi (doing people 'favours' when they do him one) coupled with penchant for expansiveness Se. A brilliant problem-solver, using people's feelings as a solution; he knows how to appeal to the masses. Clearly Fe-able, but I think he has Se ego, and prefers Fi (consider his feelings about the Five families in Part I after Sonny's death ("This war ends now").

Michael Corleone Despite his being one of the two protagonists in both Part I and Part II I actually find him quite difficult to type. I'd like to say LSI (IJ temperament and strong Se seem quite evident), but I get the impression that he couldn't care less for Fe (consider especially his introduction at the beginning of the first film at his sister's wedding. He doesn't get involved, he just sits there). Perhaps, just perhaps, a Fe PoLR type would be likely. Maybe ILI. This could be a longshot though. There is the poor relationship with Kay, which seems to suggest a pure lack and devaluing of Fi.

Sonny SLE is pretty evident. He has a clear interest in dominating his environment, and is focused on the here and now protection of his family. Expansive and willful; he's completely upfront. A Se subtype for sure.

Tom Hagen Seems to operate well with Michael; only occasionally do they argue or have a problem. Perhaps activation partners. He could be an ESI if Michael is an ILI, or an IEI if Michael is an LSI. I see a lack of Se, but no problems with it; he could easily value it.

Fredo Essentially quite passive, but very dependent. SEI could be a possibility, although he could value Se (he seems particularly inept in it). Wants to be respected and seen as someone powerful, but clearly lacks this image. Perhaps IEI would be more likely taking into consideration his possible Se valuing nature.

Kay Doesn't care for the Mafia's strict Ti rules; probably an EII. Michael has scant regard for her feelings, and she reacts badly to this. Loyal, despite the many occurrences, but walked all over. Perhaps ESI.

Connie More minor than the other characters. ESE is a possibility.

Hyman Roth Maybe an LIE. Very business-minded; seems not concerned with a Fe atmosphere.

Add your own interpretations and/or other character typings.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have to watch the movies again, but from what I can remember, Vito seems ENFp in Part 1 and ESFp in Part 2, probably because of the different actors.

I'm pretty sure Michael is ISTj.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree wholeheartedly with Ezra on SEE typing for Vito Corleone. It is to be expected that the character is not all that consistent being a fictitious one... but it's obvious that Vito wants to sheed some Fi in a Ti underworld.

Michael Corleone is definitely LSI. He's an almost carbon copy of another character, "Damien", portrayed in the movie "Wind That Shakes The Barley". The pattern for both characters is the same: both are promising young buys that happen to engage in violence and rebellion and never get out. Betas flourish in turbulent environments...
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSI or ESI for Vito. Michael is clearly Beta, perhaps IEI.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SLE Sx/So
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only seen 1 will be watching 2 sometime this week.

VIto LIE. That whole scene with him and Michael talking about the traitor was him giving Michael Ni to act on
    Michael LSI or a very ti SLE. LSI might fit better.
    Luca Brasi SLI
    Sonny SEE
    Vito's daughter some sort of infantile type ?
    Her abusive husband is EIE
    Michaels blonde girlfriend is ESE
    The girl he met in Italy was IEI.. maybe SEI
    His consigliere is some sort of IJ. Maybe LII

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some time ago I told some user that I would offer a rationale for my typing of Michael Corleone, and there it is.

I'll be adding more, correcting what I could see as incomplete or inaccurate, and overall revising this typing, as I do with most of my contributions here, as I'm conscious that this comment is not sufficiently developed or justified. I also might type other characters from the series.

I am supporting this typing on the first two movies, because I haven't read the book (turns out GF had an old translation from her defunct grandfather and she has shared it with me so I can read it) and I consider part III as a retcon and rejection of some of the main lines and themes of the other two movies (For me, Godfather part III is to the other two what Scary Movie is to the horror movies it makes fun of, & CODA doesn't fix it)

Michael Corleone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic6KR2CcUyA

Leading function;

The most notable characteristic of Michael is his Introverted intuition.

He is usually portrayed as a reflective individual who’s main strength lies his expedient use and understanding of the temporal evolution of processes.

he sees the hidden patterns behind the events happening, and most if not all of his strategies consist in observation, careful planning and eventual, well-orchestrated actions that aim at redirecting the chain of events unfolding in his favor.

Creative Function;

Michael has top-notch logistic and organizational skills.

He is capable of “moving objects” in his favor, structuring financial or logistic operations, as well as developing chains of interactions in order to make his plans come to fruition, he is capable of eliminating or forcing to submit almost anyone through cleverly setting in motion the structure of the Corleone family towards that end.

Mobilizing Function:

Michael displays insensitive behavior towards others but is heavily influenced by his attachments.

He somewhat perceives the levels of relational distance between himself and others, the breaking of his relational expectations seem to be the strongest hits on his mental integrity during The Godfather part II.

During the first film and taking from some of his lines in the second it seems like he derived a high benefit from his interactions with Vito and his advice, directly derived from introverted ethics, or sometimes extraverted sensing.

Suggestive Function:

Michael seems detached from his surroundings and responds pretty well to stimuli related to the realm of extraverted sensing, usually provided from his brother Santino or his father.

Vulnerable Function:

Michael is oblivious to the external energy states of his enviroment and that of the characters he usually interacts with.

When faced with behaviors demostrative of energy states (As in his interactions with his family, specially with Fredo) he seems blind to the information they convey, only paying attention to their actions and words.

Main typing; INTp
    Last edited by RBRS; 07-12-2022 at 08:26 AM.

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    LSI or ESI for Vito. Michael is clearly Beta, perhaps IEI.
    In the book, Michael "seems" closer to IEI than to ILI (I'm pretty sure he's IEI or ESI in the books, moreover when it is sort of "established" he has a mirror relation to his father, has well-developed ethics [Specially Fi] amongst lots of other reasons). In the films though he demonstrates Te aux & Fe vulnerable.

Vito, I think, is Gamma SF. In the book he's clearly a 4D Fe, Se valuing type (EIE or SEE). He's a dominant type, shows strong Te too, but he's the classic "perfect" character so...

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Clemenza (the jolly fat / awesome guy) SEI through and through.

Luca Brasi SLI and Fi seeking for having a deep personal-level need to feel loyal as well as demonstrate the strength of his bond to Don Corelone. Seems completely indifferent to Fe signals, like how his appearance, broken accent and mannerisms would affect others' perception of him (Vito Coreleone sort of grimaces, but understands). Gentle giant in spite of looking intimidating (except for being a murderer).

Tessio LSI is my hunch. Possibly another introverted and logical type.

Tom Hagen LII. Mostly comfortable performing the intellectual duties (lawyer stuff) for the family, practically works as an analyst, clarifying possibilities and presenting solutions. Not shown to care much about money, power, personal rank or internal politics (except in so far as it fell under his work or obligations) -- bit of a pushover when it comes to all that. Generally bright, reserved, accommodating, stoic, with an appearance of self-control.

Don Barzini Se EJ. Either one, since we're shown so little about him, but I'd go with EIE since he seems like he'd turn out to be a surface-level narcissist who'd be worried about his status, looking suave and competing with others about minutiae related to his image.

Michael Corleone NT. Perhaps ILI.

Kay Agree with Delta NF.

Fredo Definitely Fe ego.
    Tom Hagen's type depends on your definition of the logics IMs, taking that out he's most likely xNTj, in most systems your typing is correct. I thought LII-C, LSI-D or LIE-C/H

Fredo seems ESI or EII in the book, for some reason in the movies he's written as quite similar to the book's Johnny Fontane, who is likely ESE.

Hagen is three times more based in the book, Vito is far better in the book too.
    Last edited by RBRS; 07-12-2022 at 08:14 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://youtu.be/oeBHiJeshcg

Base on the clip:

Michael seem to be a result type, he decided the goal quickly and talk to everyone to make a more detail plan following that goal. I guess LIE since I didn’t see any Fe.

Sonny: Se lead, aggressive and take alot of space. More like SLE.

Tom: talk alot about business process - could be a process type, patiently explain all of that to hot headed Sonny. Could be ILI since he doesn’t seem so LSI. He and Sonny feel like Ni - Se dynamic.

Fredo: some non Gamma F type

Overall I think this movie more Gamma than Beta.
    Last edited by Renna; 03-27-2023 at 07:53 AM.