Thread: Can anyone help me figure out my type? I'm lost.

Talking Can anyone help me figure out my type? I'm lost.

Hey, I'm new here and one of the first things I wanted to do was to get advice on my own typology. For background I'm 19 years old, female. I have followed the natural rhythm of my writing here, so I apologise if things don't make sense or don't have much link to typology. Here's some info about me.

-I naturally incline towards seeing through people rather than seeing them truly. That sounds odd so I'll explain - I condense, catalogue and attempt to understand people through my impressions of them. Often, after a few interactions I feel I can understand what kind of person they are, how they react to things.

-I seek to caretake on issues I feel really matter- those being issues that are mental and emotional. Let me offer solutions for your psychological issues for you, let me build an ideal vision for your future. I can offer direction on where to go next, validate and understand people's feelings. I like to motivate and steer people, but I do not care much about cheering others up unless they are very close to me. I want to help people with their psychological needs, but I do not care about their physical needs, that's their problem. I'm good at convincing people to do things.

-In arguments and debates I break opposing point of views down into components. My aim is rarely to counter someone with plain facts, facts to me seem black and white, rigid and overly simple. My citations are malleable, if I quote an expert opinion it will rarely be the words they actually said, but the impression or generalisation I got from what they said moulded to support my argument. I instead attempt to break their belief down to the core, I ask where does it stem from. I attempt to make the opponent see the flaws in their own thought processes, before convincing them of my own- I am very persuasive. I tend to generalise a lot and try to come up with universal laws in my own mind. But with things like debates and arguments I feel a need to win, and a need to always be right.

-Everyone has layers, myself included. Yet despite being surrounded by others I feel Impenetrable, distant. On the surface, to acquaintances, co-workers and classmates I come across shy, meek, polite, pleasant, mild, scattered, insecure and unsure of myself, I say things in an unsure tone and come off very friendly. I function on the surface in an agreeable way. To those a little closer to me such as friends I'm quite different. I come off edgy, jovial, light-heartedly mean or teasing, sarcastic and have been told that. But even then I have a social awareness, I never offend. My behaviour is intended to entertain and make others laugh- I am very aware of how what I say will be received and responded to and feel a responsibility to entertain others and be loud when needed, I have a desire to be liked. To only my closest friends and family members can I show greater authenticity - I can share my depth and introspections, feel little need to entertain and can be comfortable being distant as I know I do not need to take on a position of host or jester with people who know me well. I require space alone, to analyse what I think and feel. I can be moody, and despite how I come across on the surface to others I am very serious in my own mind, and have been called wise.

-I desire to be taken care of psychologically too. To me love is not affection, or doing things for someone else. These are things that are nice, but only material. To me love is seeing someone's core, understanding them truly including the flaws in their heart and embracing them anyway, providing warmth and comfort, saying everything is going to be okay. If I am not loved in this way, I do not desire love at all. In a way I have a childish desire to be coddled and hugged. I don't like harsh reality checks or "motivation". Things said to inspire others such as a blunt "get up and work" approach only make me crumble, I become more complacent and anxious. By contrast, being given leniency allows me to feel most understood and accepted.

-My attitude towards working in general is unfit for the world. I do not desire to work on things, I prefer to get them done as quickly as possible with as little effort as possible to move onto the next thing, unless I am trying to impress someone like an employer. I will procrastinate until the very last moment, and then conjure something up right at the end. On the surface, I take orders pleasantly and with a smile, but under the surface being told what do leads an anger and resentment to boil up inside me, and I hate that I have to follow orders just to live in settings such as work.

-I feel I have a purpose or hidden mission inside me somewhere waiting to be uncovered, but I am unaware of what it is. Maybe I only believe this because it's what western media and culture tells us all- we can all change the world, we can all be great. But I believe that's true, I believe we all have potential to change the world. I have goals, goals to travel and learn languages and be happy, but goals are not purpose.

-To be honest, I am not very smart or present. I struggle to exist without being caught up in my own mind. Even if at times I am thinking of nothing, I do not take that as an opportunity to be present but rather I rest my mind in the blankness and stare off. Being present and in the moment requires a lot of active effort for me, and its too much work.

-I have an acute self awareness, can believe in things that make little sense such as fate or destiny, messages from the universe et cetera whilst being aware of the fact that it's not very logical. I have an external locus of control and trust the judgements of others more than my own on some issues.
    Last edited by kittendioxide; 04-13-2022 at 07:58 PM.

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some kind of NF
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Earlier I guessed LII, and I still see Ti (a desire to organize information), low or unvalued Se (does not want to tell people what to do, has trouble being in the present moment, is thinking all the time) and someone on the Caregiver/Infantile axis of Erotic Attitudes, since caregiving was mentioned.

Still could be LII.

I think that an LII's hesitancy to engage with the real world can sometimes look like intuitive feeling, and in truth, kittendioxide could be NF, but I'm still guessing LII.

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You do write in a detached manner that is similar to a Ti lead.

I do wonder how useful a type can be for most people who are new to socionics. In my case understanding came gradually over several years.

haha maybe your initial judgement was right after all, thank you for your input.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kittendioxide View Post
    haha maybe your initial judgement was right after all, thank you for your input.
    Don't take my word for it. I'm just guessing, and I'm usually wrong.

Have you taken the test at Sociotype.com yet, or @Subteigh's test?

Thank you.

I'd like to clarify that I'm not new to typology in general, just new to socionics. After using mainly MBTI for the past 3 years or so I've been finding it too simplistic, I felt like the categories stripped the people in them of depth and variation and just couldn't settle on one for myself or the people around me so I started to look into socionics instead and have found it a lot better so far. I do know that understanding the system will not come instantly and reaching and answer straight away will be difficult due to my age and may take a long time, but I struggle to see myself objectively so as a starting point I wanted to ask for opinions on here.

I've taken the sociotype.com test, I got IEI on that one. I haven't taken the other one you mentioned yet and will look into it.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The two types which generally have trouble seeing themselves objectively are IEI (Beta NF) and LII (Alpha NT), but for different reasons, I think.

IEIs have a hard time sensing the real world outside of their imaginations, and they have really strong mirror neurons, which enable them to identify with every type.

LIIs, on the other hand, also have low Se sensing of the real world, but I think in their case, their strong Ne makes them endlessly question their Ti ideas.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've taken the sociotype.com test, I got IEI on that one. I haven't taken the other one you mentioned yet and will look into it.
    You should probably ask Subteigh in chat for a link to his test. I used to have it, but I misplaced it.

Ah right, I'm not sure which is the case for me to be honest. When I used MBTI mostly I definitely saw elements of myself in all of the types, and considered or typed as all of them at some period in time (except for SP types because I was aware of how shitty my Se was and still is). I think I like to try on new identities for fun but none of them fit completely. Thanks again!

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do know that understanding the system will not come instantly and reaching an answer straight away will be difficult
    Good. I wanted to write this myself but it looks like it wasn't needed after all.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@kittendioxide
    @Adam Strange

You can find my test in this thread: https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...read.php/54099
    although I've recently been trying to improve it.

Thank you!

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also very much getting the impression that you are either LII or IEI. It's a little hard to tell which though. I could see either. The strongest impressions I get is that you are probably intuitive and you seem to be Ti-Fe valuing, so Beta NF or Alpha NT seem most likely. I don't consider ILE or EIE impossible, but they seem pretty unlikely to me. If you are an extroverted type then you're probably a Ti or Ni subtype. After you've engaged in the forum a little more and I've had a chance to see how you write and interact I'll probably form a more solidified opinion of your type, but for now it could really go a lot of ways I think

Welcome to the forum ^-^
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah right, I'm not sure which is the case for me to be honest. When I used MBTI mostly I definitely saw elements of myself in all of the types, and considered or typed as all of them at some period in time (except for SP types because I was aware of how shitty my Se was and still is). I think I like to try on new identities for fun but none of them fit completely. Thanks again!
    This right here makes me think IEI. I had a similar experience in MBTI where I bounced around between INFJ, INFP, INTJ, ISFJ, and ENFJ. I ended up settling on INFJ because of the supposed "chameleon" nature of the type, and I definitely saw/see myself as a bit of a chameleon
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Thank you! This definitely helps to narrow it down. I related to a lot of the descriptions whilst also relating to none at the same time but after getting some advice here think it’s between IEI, LII or SEI for me. Hopefully will work it out eventually

As I said I had the exact same experience and also thought I was all of the types that you listed here too. I was unable to settle on INFJ in the MBTI system simply because Ni had been elevated to such a god like mystical and majestic level that I was unable to see it in myself, I feel that would be giving my brain way too much credit lol.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said I had the exact same experience and also thought I was all of the types that you listed here too. I was unable to settle on INFJ in the MBTI system simply because Ni had been elevated to such a god like mystical and majestic level that I was unable to see it in myself, I feel that would be giving my brain way too much credit lol.
    Yeah, MBTI doesn't have a great handle on either of the introverted perceiving functions. Associating Si with memory is a very strange thing to do, and Ni is certainly not magical. All Ni really is is the perception of direction and flow. Ni looks at the way things are now and/or have been in the past and extrapolates where they may lead. Well-educated, widely-traveled people (especially if they're on the older end of things) with Ni as a 4D function may appear almost magical in their ability to predict outcomes, but it's really nothing more than them being especially good at pattern-recognition. All else being equal, anyone with Ni as a 4D function will have a bit of an advantage when it comes to making predictions and recognizing patterns, but it isn't magical, and like a neural network can only really ever be as good as the quality and quantity of its inputs through other functions. A 4D Ni child is probably not going to be better at prediction and pattern recognition than a 2D Ni 64-year-old doctor of art history.

Actually, wanting to feed my Ni with a wider range of experiences was one of the big reasons I decided to move to Japan and learn the language. I felt being a monolingual American who'd never experienced another culture forever would be an unfortunate waste of Ni. After Japanese I'm hoping to learn other languages too. I really wanna be one of those insane polyglots who can carry on a conversation and a read a news article in 30 different languages. I have so much respect for that kind of thing. I probably won't be able to do that, but I really hope to have at least 4 or 5 that I'm comfortable in by my 40s. It's taken me about 4 years to get my Japanese up to fairly comfortable fluency, and at that rate I should be able to add 4 languages by 40. Anyways, I want all the input I can get and English is limiting in that regard I feel
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐