Thread: "vintage" types

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "vintage" types

What types do you see being particularly interested in accumulating vintage objects or modern objects that are "vintage inspired".
    SEI and ESE comes to mind, but I think the IEE and EII could get into vintage-ware as well.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I like vintage clothing. Mostly because the fashion today is not what I'm into. I've used the argument to myself before that it's cheaper but nowadays vintage is pretty popular so sometimes it can be more expensive than brand new clothes... But I'll still buy it if I like it enough lol.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Weird coincidence. I've encountered this lady on YouTube yesterday who is into the old retro glamour and vintage. Lily Jarlsson is the name, Ethical > type, 416, lots of self-pres + social instinct.

(I find it outrageous that people ostracized her for her lifestyle, I can't understand it!)

My ESI SP/SX mom is similar, she's very very much into vintage. mobilizing, digging up the past, "back then it was better, so sophisticated!". And then the cute aesthetics and taking care of these things. Vintage is all maintenance, is a big deal. So the subtypes of SEI and ESE are probably attracted, yes. EII and maybe LII are also a good bet I myself think it's not worth the work, even if I adore how it looks like. That is fascinating for sure. It also ties a lot into to make these little discoveries in vintage stores.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes. I've met exactly those types attracted to vintage stuff (clothing, looks, objects etc). Especially in fashion or aesthetic sense. And I'm not talking about spooky vintage but cute fashionable vintage (because there are styles in vintage too).

Not this (which is more IEI, ILI or NT Alpha I think).

But...(ESE, SEI)

EIIs and IEEs are like mid term and are more interested in objects like real old books, furniture and pictures.

Last edited by Hope; 12-07-2017 at 05:41 PM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I like vintage jewelry and books (leather bound). My ESE sister goes to antique shops a lot but I have no idea what she buys or if she buys. My EII sister goes with her sometimes. I think they just like to look as both have pretty modern styles and probably would not wear clothes that were worn by strangers.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

should be Ni related

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Si-valuing types are probably the most likely to collect memorabilia. They are often drawn to antiques, and will colorfully decorate their homes. SEIs and EIIs in particular tend to hoard random shit they find here there and everywhere.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am always very aware of the 'historicity' of things, so to speak. For example, i connect specific years with specific mental 'landscapes' and feelings, and i feel some sort of powerful connection to certain eras of the past. I have always been endlessly fascinated with ancient civilizations and streams of thought, and in the way their worldview led them to percieve things in a specific way. I sometimes feel envious of the position an ancient Greek philosopher had, not because he was in the midst of an important step in human society, but because his position led him to think in a specific way that i find enchanting. I find the developement of human perception of the world and itself so very interesting. I will completely lose interest in an object if it doesn't fit into a specific period of interest, as if it was an aesthetic, but a very immaterial aesthetic. For example, i find the early 70's interesting, but not the late 70's. It is a specific mental map that makes me link a point in time to many seperate parts, which create a whole, image of suspended interest in a specific point, made up of small seperate images or qualities. So i like collecting (specific periods taken into account) old stuff that fits into my mental map of interest in a point or frame. I see quality in some things this way. This was one of the things that made me think i was Ni-dom at some points.

So, yeah, i love collecting and enjoying old things.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a longtime interest in vintage clothing and design. I do not wear any kind of complete retro look in a costume-like way and I don’t like kitsch (like rockabilly), but I have always mixed old and new clothes and decor. For me this connects well to Ni and Fe, social history and artifacts and suchlike.

But it’s not limited to Beta NF at all. I know Si people who really appreciate the designs per se and quality of materials and construction, and over time I’ve seen more Ne people get into vintage, though I’m not sure what motivates them.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boarding pass found in a book I use as bookmark.
    Attachment 13627
    Old return date thing from a book.
    Attachment 13628
    Do these count as vintage?

I'm not much into vintage clothings... I'm not even sure what vintage clothing means, I think it's trendy though?
    I like old things that seem like they have lived through stuff. Imagining their story.
    I think everyone's ego can find a reason to like/dislike old stuff or vintage looking things.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernRose View Post
    Boarding pass found in a book I use as bookmark.
    Attachment 13627
    Old return date thing from a book.
    Attachment 13628
    Do these count as vintage?

I'm not much into vintage clothings... I'm not even sure what vintage clothing means, I think it's trendy though?
    I like old things that seem like they have lived through stuff. Imagining their story.
    I think everyone's ego can find a reason to like/dislike old stuff or vintage looking things.
    Vintage technically means old things less than 100 years old, and 100 or more is antique. The terms are used more loosely by less knowledgeable vendors. Retro is an even looser term but currently ppl seem to mean by it something that is vintage reproduction or vintage-inspired.
    Last edited by golden; 07-29-2018 at 02:09 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think lots of types can be into it but for different reasons. For example, some types (I'm thinking delta?) could be interested in stylish clothes from the 40s & 50s that look great whilst also not being too showy / revealing. I've known both an SLI and EII (both males) who don't wear vintage per se but does wear a lot of classic cut clothing that'd be more appropriate for that era (especially since they're in their early twenties and wearing quite formal clothes everywhere). I have a beta friend who wears vintage a lot in the way Golden mentioned above and I think she also likes having unique clothing no one else has and so very much about drama / expression. She'd also never be seen dead in kitsch rockabilly. Another Te user I know buys exclusively vintage / second hand to save money haha. I guess SiFe and NiFe would be most interested in really getting into it at the point of collecting, doing alterations, making it a lifestyle?

Personally I like the range of clothes available once you start shopping outside of mainstream stores and current trends. I go to vintage markets for the same reason I'll shop at online boutiques: variety!
    "I take back like half of the exclamation points.....they make me look....eager to please. Which I AM....but I don't want anyone to KNOW that"
    - Carrie Fisher

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post
    Vintage technically means old things less than 100 years old, and 100 or more is antique.
    vintage means old fassion style. it's not clear how old it is
    for antiques the common time border is 50 years

> The terms are used more loosely by less knowledgeable vendors.

it's not objective to talk about the knowledge

> Retro is an even looser term

this term is the synonym to vintage. means related to the past without clear limits
    depending on the region of the usage those limits mb different. for example, in computer devices/software region the generations changed after 5-10 years

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    vintage means old fassion style. it's not clear how old it is
    for antiques the common time border is 50 years

> The terms are used more loosely by less knowledgeable vendors.

it's not objective to talk about the knowledge

> Retro is an even looser term

this term is the synonym to vintage. means related to the past without clear limits
    depending on the region of the usage those limits mb different. for example, in computer devices/software region the generations changed after 5-10 years
    You are quite simply wrong. Antiques dealers and serious collectors are the people who applied these terms to historic objects in the first place, and what I said is exactly their technical meaning,

As you move away toward less professional environments, the terms lose their strict meaning.

This is the second time you have tried to correct my knowledge of English terminology. Not only is it my native tongue, but I have an expert-level knowledge of it because of my professional work, even though I don’t always put it in use on a forum because this is not a work environment.

You are making yourself look foolish.
    Last edited by golden; 07-29-2018 at 03:07 PM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post
    I have a longtime interest in vintage clothing and design. I do not wear any kind of complete retro look in a costume-like way and I don’t like kitsch (like rockabilly), but I have always mixed old and new clothes and decor. For me this connects well to Ni and Fe, social history and artifacts and suchlike.

But it’s not limited to Beta NF at all. I know Si people who really appreciate the designs per se and quality of materials and construction, and over time I’ve seen more Ne people get into vintage, though I’m not sure what motivates them.

Ni(Fe) is certainly the stereotypical motivation for being into vintage styles but of course other types could be also.

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sorrows View Post
    What types do you see being particularly interested in accumulating vintage objects or modern objects that are "vintage inspired".
    SEI and ESE comes to mind, but I think the IEE and EII could get into vintage-ware as well.
    IME IRL I've seen it manifest most among Creative Si types. Whereas Ni is the continuum of time, Ne is future and Si is past. I've known an LSE who loves collecting and hoarding antiques, and a ESE preacher who was absolutely enthralled with Puritan theology and tried to revitalize their historic motifs and antique out-of-print books among his congregation. So the Te focused on "stuff" and the Fe, "values & ethical style".