Thread: IEI vs ESI

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default IEI vs ESI

What's the main difference between those two types? I feel like it should be a big 'duh' and obvious but tbh I'm stumped. Want to figure out if somebody I know is ESI or IEI and it's confusing to me because I can see both lol. I mean you could say IEIs are more naive and fantasy-based and ESIs are more worldly and "adult" or something really vague like that- but this person is really both of those things. Also I can't figure out if the type of people they are into are arrogant douche-y SLEs or arrogant douche-y LIEs.

I do know this person is more willing to explore things in the 'real world' than me- and like, they enjoy "just doing things" more than I do , which to me points as 'sensor' definitely- but they could just be an IEI that isn't quite as sensor deprived as I am but idk. lol.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my dad is IEI and he's usually trying to talk to me about kung fu or something mystical. My sister is ESI and I swear she's always standing behind me. I'm in a metaphorical spin chair trying to face whatever the hell she's talking about.
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sometimes words on the other side will also apply but generally they stick to their respective descriptors:

IEI vs ESI

observer vs planner
    involved vs detached
    team player vs go it alone
    image conscious vs behaviour conscious
    optimistic vs pessimistic
    guarded vs touchy
    narrow set of interests vs set way of doing things
    aura or mood vs facts
    lay back vs anxious
    go with the flow vs avoid the flow
    push-over vs inoffensive
    chameleon vs rigid
    few words to add vs indirect
    easily hurt vs easily offended
    closet knight vs closet dictator
    rash vs cautious
    accommodating vs invisible
    one of us vs not a threat

a.k.a. I/O

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ESI's might take some accepted things too prophetically given and will push towards that direction while IEI's are changeable. Stark contrast.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chriscorey View Post
    my dad is IEI and he's usually trying to talk to me about kung fu or something mystical. My sister is ESI and I swear she's always standing behind me. I'm in a metaphorical spin chair trying to face whatever the hell she's talking about.
    Reminds me of one relative's relative IEI male (with asperger's - this one is becoming one effin meme) who was all about Bruce Lee and stuff.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEIs = Charming rays of sunshine

ESIs = Soft-spoken, grounded, crotchety people. More likely to be accountants, bureaucrats, cops, blue-collar workers, etc. One of the most "normal"/everyman types, especially if they're Fi-subtype
    Last edited by Averroes; 06-24-2021 at 04:06 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Averroes

Thanks, u've been the most helpful so far. Yeah this person I know got a bureacrat government job. I don't think my Te polr would be able to stand that so I am leaning closer to ESI. ((She does bitch about it a lot though)) She's also more naturally crueler/sadistic/"darker" than me, which I try not to judge her on- but I DO think that's a Gamma trait more than anything lol. But the only thing wrong with that is she doesn't really "feel" like my Benefactor. In a pure emotional way she feels more Identical still but the heart deceiveth thee I suppose. And all that.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not sure of the differences but I am getting to know some ESIs atm and I really enjoy their company. I don’t particularly get on well with ESIs usually but atm I’m in a writing group with an LIE, an ESI and another lady I think is ESI. I’m pleasantly surprised by how important this group has become to me. (It makes life good..) I don’t write much but when I do they all have such beautiful things to say about my writing (even though it’s not great haha). I get very shy and can’t concentrate on what they’re saying but it feels special and magical that they connect with my poems, and it sort of brings the poems to life for me.

It’s lovely hearing ESIs talk about art in this setting (with their dual too) and getting to know them through listening to their stories, writing and commentary. I’ve known quite a few literary types of ESIs and they really do speak beautifully about literature. Sorry I realise I’m not answering the question.. but I just wanted a chance to gush about ESIs They inspire me to write, which I think is something I very much need. I’m lazy with it but they’re just so cool about it that it makes me feel..oh..how lovely that this seems to come so naturally to you, and how serene it seems to make you feel, I want some of that beauty in my life too sharing art is cool..and i think it helps that we all value ni
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 06-24-2021 at 09:14 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah @Bethany ESI poetry can be really soulfully moving and breath taking, I like it a lot. It's so deep and Fi and serene. I wish I could be that way sometimes, but I value Fe too much for that lol. I come off as more crude and matter-of-fact in my writing I think, because I'm duals with SLE and they are also similar. I like writing about fantasy magic topics like a typical IEI- but my style is a lot more concrete than theirs is or something.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESIs feel very grounded in themselves to me. I don't know if they perceive themselves that way, but to me they seem to have a rigidity to their character that I don't feel I possess at all. I tend to adapt to whatever novel situation I'm in with an almost uniquely concocted personality made in the moment (probably via Suggestive Se to some degree I suppose), and I abandon that set of behaviours as soon as the situation passes because they were nothing more than a localized response in real time. Because I respond to novel situations this way, I've often surprised people who haven't known me for very long because I seem to suddenly be responding "out of character." I don't think I've ever seen any of my ESI friends respond to things in a way I would describe as "out of character." Instead they seem very much like they are always being themselves and responding based on their own Fi values
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@BandD I’m sure your writing has it’s soulfully moving moments You write nicely on this forum. I think you are more comfortable with being crude than I am haha. Although I am more crude in real life than I am on here.

I would find it difficult to write an actual story. Only tried poems so far. They are crude in a way because I’m not naturally gifted with language and I also need to develop my technique. But there is something ‘deep’ about them I suppose. The lady who I think is ESI is technically the best writer in the group but it’s not really to my taste. The other ESI has a natural gift for writing in figurative language but I think she struggles with finding a message that she wants to get across.

Edit: When you said crude I was thinking you meant explicit. If you mean ‘simple’ yep I suppose IEI writing can be like that. But I suppose it depends on what you’re aiming for and how developed your skills are. I guess I’m trying to say that it’s not a bad thing to work with your strengths.
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 06-25-2021 at 01:51 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well @Bethany I'm Crude, Explicit and Simple lol. (D. All of the above. But as they say, good things come in Threes.

I would find it difficult to write an actual story.
    It's pretty easy for me to write stories - but it does take a lot of re-editing and going back to it multiple times to get it 'just right' ((which is why all writers need editors)), and you have to go back and see how you're coming across more objectively. If the editor is too Te valuing though we're probably not going to have a good relationship however, of course- because dumping too much Te I think will ruin my message. My writing needs Te help for sure don't get me wrong but if you too overboard with that, it won't feel like 'mine' anymore. Besides I'm writing for me & my own people - I'm not really trying to make it more likeable to the Karen masses or whatever.

And yeah, Gammas have objectively the 'best' writing I think. Like Game of Thrones is very Gamma to me and has won all sorts of awards and crap- and I still think that show is Gamma as hell, not Beta- no matter what anybody says. But it's not really my personal style. Due to my parents' influence, I'm a very Alpha-like Beta anyway.

I admire the objective strength of Gamma but I prefer Alpha & Beta writing the best. Delta writing OTOH- is horrible and crap to me lol. When I read a Delta book it can sometimes be physically painful for me to even read a few pages lol I just hate it that much.

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Being "normal/everyman" isn't related to type. It could be related to subtype.

Even if a high number of ESIs may end up in bureaucratic positions, not all of them do. Career choice and behaviors should not be used to type people. Memes even less so.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

IEI don’t really like to clean and they are more question askers rather than critics lol
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

IEI don’t really like to clean and they are more question askers rather than critics lol
    Idk about that I can be incredibly critical lol.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrightDemonSheep96 View Post
    Reminds me of one relative's relative IEI male (with asperger's - this one is becoming one effin meme) who was all about Bruce Lee and stuff.
    Sorry, I just saw this in my quotes section and remembered something about my IEI dad. When he was in fourth grade they told my grandma that he needed to go to a special school because he was testing at a college level and also might have asperger's.
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chriscorey View Post
    Sorry, I just saw this in my quotes section and remembered something about my IEI dad. When he was in fourth grade they told my grandma that he needed to go to a special school because he was testing at a college level and also might have asperger's.
    Autistic people tend to like exact rules. There is a comforting sense of order that comes from having a rule for everything.
    Eh, sounds like Ti and Se valuing non- Ti ego from the cursory glance. Lulz..
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    I agree that they tend to ask a lot of questions but they are very particular about the replies. They pass all information through comparative processes and that which falls outside their very narrow filter range doesn't get put through their rationalization whatsoever. In that sense, they are very critical of what people say. However, others are usually unaware of IEI siege mentalities because being rather defensive, they tend to tell people what they want to hear while they hear nothing but "blah, blah, blah". As well, I've known some IEIs to keep their castles obsessively clean.

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrightDemonSheep96 View Post
    ESI's might take some accepted things too prophetically given and will push towards that direction while IEI's are changeable. Stark contrast.
    yes yes yes. i usually have a hard time understanding your posts so this caught me off guard. perfect
    (and source: the main person in my life for several years has been an IEI)

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am probably incredibly critical of other people and what they say (and do and everything else) - but to be fair, it always feels like people are incredibly critical of me as well- not that it makes it okay. =D

I am a pretty neat person. Don't like to be too uptight about it but I prefer my home clean and tidy etc. I don't think anybody really likes cleaning, it's just something you have to do type of thing. (Unless u can afford somebody else to do it for you of course)

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ESIs see stuff around them (Se) and they remember everything. IEIs live in an Ni dream world of possibilities and mysterious influences.

I was talking to an ESI about a conversation we’d had seven years ago. I related what I thought I’d said, and she corrected me regarding the details.

I was talking to an IEI about how she had decided to drop everything and go off for a week with this SLE guy she’d met the day before. The first time she told me that story, they were riding his motorcycle. Today when she told me that story, they were in his old beat-up sports car. To the IEI, the details aren’t as important as the meaning of the story.