Thread: Why are there no good candidates?

TIM
    Intuitive
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why are there no good candidates?

Trump shouldn't have won the nomination in the first place but he did. Hillary was in some way the perfect opponent, she was everything Trump wasn't. Democrat win was imminent. Voters didn't care though. So you would think that the Democrats would learn their lesson the second time around but no, they screw Sanders, again. Had it not been for Covid Trump would have won, again.

Kinda makes you wonder about the competence of the people making the decisions behind the scenes.

Do you think Sanders would have been the better candidate? Or Warren?
    What do you think has gone wrong with a system that completely fails to represent their people? I can feel the same thing here in Sweden. You know what the politicians are going to say when they start speaking because they're afraid of loosing ground. It's a battle for power and neither side is willing to give an inch, WW1 style. After the Great War what happened? Are we in a similar situation now but instead of guns it's ideas?

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I mean, this is just what every State in history fundamentally has been, a hold on power by a club of like-minded elites, no outsiders allowed. Elections are merely a way of smoothly dealing with schisms among those ruling elites and to provide lip service to the people and make them think their voice matters.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It would be advisable to not elect a septuagenarian as President.

America is too big to be represented as a two party state. Also, with the electoral college, the candidates don't even seriously contest the majority of states.

If Trump was able to be chosen for the Republican party candidate, it does not seem impossible to me that someone with Bernie Sanders' politics could be chosen for the Democrats.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysm View Post
    Kinda makes you wonder about the competence of the people making the decisions behind the scenes.
    Reflecting on the fact that Kamala Harris may shortly become President, despite not being favored by the voters as can be seen from the outcome of the primaries:

In the final analysis, there's no "people making the decisions" I think. There may indeed be people who think they do, but in the final analysis it seems obvious to me that history - except perhaps for transient minutiae - doesn't reflect the wishes or intentions of any human or group of humans.
    Greetings, ragnar
    ILI knowledge-seeker

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    It would be advisable to not elect a septuagenarian as President.

America is too big to be represented as a two party state. Also, with the electoral college, the candidates don't even seriously contest the majority of states.

If Trump was able to be chosen for the Republican party candidate, it does not seem impossible to me that someone with Bernie Sanders' politics could be chosen for the Democrats.
    I don't get this.

If it had been a fit, cogent person like Sanders, I'm fine with it. My great grandma was coherent and healthy into her nineties....

And if someone pops off, who cares?

We have a backup.

I don't get the bid deal...?

If you have a competent V.P. and everyone's policies are sound and everyone is cogent and fit, I don't get caring about age so much.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi View Post
    I don't get this.

If it had been a fit, cogent person like Sanders, I'm fine with it. My great grandma was coherent and healthy into her nineties....

And if someone pops off, who cares?

We have a backup.

I don't get the bid deal...?

If you have a competent V.P. and everyone's policies are sound and everyone is cogent and fit, I don't get caring about age so much.
    In Bernie Sanders' case, he's 79 and had a heart attack (or whatever the correct term is - a myocardial infarction?).

My father isn't even 70 and is healthy for his age and he thinks it's absurd that septuagenarians are competing for a mentally and physically demanding job like POTUS.

His father lived to 96 and he cycled regularly even into his late 80s. But he very much wanted to distant himself from actively leading things in his 60s.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing most people do not understand, is how politics and administration really work. Anyone can be elected into a position of power with a set of plans, but there are a lot of obstacles to be taken before and after a decision has been made, that many plans never even make it, even when the plans are sound.

I recommend everyone to pick up any academic book with an introduction to political science. Even after a few chapters, your ideas about how politics works will have completely changed.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consider this:

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm starting to think some fifth column's sabotaged the democratic party to nominate dementia people two election cycles in a row, which implies whatever faction's doing this had a vested interest in the republicans winning.

Under no circumstances in a country's history should the control measures be so fallible that someone with dementia slips through the cracks for the chance of becoming leader. My god. Not only a disgrace unseen in at least thirty years, but a mandate of heaven-tier sign of collapse that that kind of thing is even allowed to happen. This is the kind of incompetence that destroys empires.

TIM
    POOP™
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dementia is actually kind of perfect. The checks and balances is to ensure government disagrees on everything and ends up doing very little. But give more of them dementia and even less will get done. That's democracy! And somehow it works!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Just rename this place Beta Central lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWilderness View Post
    The only problem socionics has given me is a propensity to analyze every relationship from the lens of socionics and I also see that it is worse in my boyfriend. Nothing makes any sense that way and it does not really solve any problems.