Thread: Style of walking and type is connected according to Ausra Augustinaviciute (founder of Socionics)

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Style of walking and type is connected according to Ausra Augustinaviciute (founder of Socionics)

From Dual Nature of Man by Ausra Augustinaviciute

Here is what about the gait schizothyme P. writes Gannushkin:"Usually they attract the attention of stiffness and angular movements, lack of smooth and gradual transitions between them, and, in some, in addition, it is striking mannerisms and pretentiousness, among others - the desire for style, and finally, the third - just the extreme monotony and poverty of movements. There is a schizoid who had never been in military service, but amazing with almost military bearing, this bearing them comes to the fact that they seem wooden ... Especially a lot of originality in their gait: some go without bending his knees, while others - like jumping, a third dragged his feet when walking, etc. "(" Selected Works ", Moscow, 1964, 143)..

True, the author writes about here schizoid, that is - schizothyme accented with a fixed or behavior, but according to our observations for perfectly healthy people - it all fits them as well. And the fact that they seem to be "wooden" or "dragging feet", is determined solely by their personality type. The most "wood", in our opinion - logical-sensory extravert, the most "dragging feet" - its opposite - the logical-sensory introvert. The most "jumpy" - logical and intuitive extravert. These differences in gait more pronounced in men than in women.
    LSI drag them feet much. LIE is more jumpy and LSE have wooden legs. Alpha is dragging them feet and so is beta. Gamma and delta however have stiffer legs but LIE jumps.
    Last edited by Tigerfadder; 07-05-2016 at 01:32 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Augustinaviciute is interesting as theorist only, while what she says here is observation of concrete people with types she thought them.
    And all she said were only speculative hypotheses.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found it interesting. Here is my observations.

SEE have kind of wooden but throw the feet forward. IEI do a jumpy move when the feet is at its most behind position but have straight legs forward like a pending movement. ESE drag them, kind of throw them feet forward and but seem to have this drag movement in the feet and legs.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Israel Capitan View Post
    I found it interesting. Here is my observations.

SEE have kind of wooden but throw the feet forward. IEI do a jumpy move when the feet is at its most behind position but have straight legs forward like a pending movement. ESE drag them, kind of throw them feet forward and but seem to have this drag movement in the feet and legs.
    I'm having difficulty conceptualizing all of these.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think it's more temperament related

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    I'm having difficulty conceptualizing all of these.
    Me too.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I know earlier your motions and style of walking mirror your internal mode. So if for example you feel lighthearted you will look to move around in the world very lightly. If heavy and depressed you look like you are under twice gravity.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I totally drag my feet and I am not an LSI.. bouuuuh.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    I totally drag my feet and I am not an LSI.. bouuuuh.
    The most "wood", in our opinion - logical-sensory extravert, the most "dragging feet" - its opposite - the logical-sensory introvert. The most "jumpy" - logical and intuitive extravert.

It seem i messed it up. Logical sensory introvert is opposite of dragging feet. I think I changed it in the last secound and made the error. Damnit thread ruined

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Israel Capitan View Post
    The most "wood", in our opinion - logical-sensory extravert, the most "dragging feet" - its opposite - the logical-sensory introvert. The most "jumpy" - logical and intuitive extravert.

It seem i messed it up. Logical sensory introvert is opposite of dragging feet. I think I changed it in the last secound and made the error. Damnit thread ruined
    No I checked it in Russian, you can relax. I still drag my feet and I don't self type any of those.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Okay everyone post videos of themselves walking now!
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    Eii
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel awkard when I walk. I feel jerky, but its not dramatic or anything just short harsh movements (?) Lol.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am always stooped and I have short fast steps, I drag my feet sometimes. I can't stend it when people's walk is slow and I always overrun most people when I walk.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

You have to understand that Ausra was an ILE Ne looking for all kinds of logical patterns. I do that sometimes like I'll look to see if there's a pattern in eye shape size ect. Um if you're asking about my own walking style I have no idea lets ask @applejacks (she is fast but can stop suddenly) @Animal @Director Abbie (she hops along and is a fast walker)
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

In my observations the "jumpiest" or bounciest walkers are ILE.

TIM
    Eii
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol ok so this ile I used to work with told our sei supervisor that she walks like a duck. I had already typed her sei by then but that was just icing on the cake

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very interesting topic. What @Tigerfadder said about `mental state = walking style´ is true for me. This is lengthy but everything translates to ILI so well:

My gait is fast-paced, but uncontrolled. I can maneuver through crowds rapidly without bumping into people, meaning that I can change directions quickly, bend my back when necessary, rotate my shoulders etc. It doesn't look feminine because I care more about my destination than the way I come across: no swaying hips, no emphasis on elegance, just straightforward. It doesn't look male either because my lean figure makes my walk look very light. Add my height - now, imagine a walking tower. I'm not very aware of my surroundings, head facing forward and rarely looking around. I level the horizon line with my gaze sometimes, but that's it. Despite my obliviousness, I always manage to find the right way subconsciously, so I constantly seem to know where I'm going. That's what others tell me. I, however, am often dazed and astounded although that doesn't mirror on my face at all, I am a stern walker. Many strangers who look for the right way or need help with their map approach me downtown. I occasionally perform a little sprint to reduce more walking time everywhere I am.

At university, I don't like to stop for a random talk. Unless it's someone I have deep feelings for. That would turn 'random' into 'meaningful'. In most other cases: I halt for nobody! Small talk is the enemy of my productive mindset, it throws me off the track When I actually register a person greeting me I rush by with a small nod but stay on course steadily, no bouncing. My walking apparently defies social norms, I am spotted with ease by all the people that know me.

More specific scenarios:

Stairs: I proceed with maximum care, medium speed, and zero attention to everything else outside of this process. I always drop my gaze to watch every step.
    High heels: You'll never see me walk in heels. I used to wear them but I quickly abandoned these health- and life-threatening pieces of impracticality. They were made for false inferiority compensation x fetish gratification and I gladly terminated my usage for the sake of long-term wellbeing and... speed Aesthetics and social pressure - again, I don't care (enough). My Fe PoLR attitude is a blessing for my body.
    Walking slowly/queueing: My back is more hunched then, I also seesaw from one foot to the other when standing. I am never completely still. I dance in my free time, part of that comes out here and there. When I walk slowly/wait and there is music, I might get a bit groovy. Not too overtly because of injury risks. Again, no regard for etiquette and no shame available because I love music too much not to groove. Well, next is obviously...
    Actual dancing: It seems as if there is a hidden SEE entertainer waiting to come out every time. In terms of style: I dislike any standard format with rules to adhere to. Freestyle is my habitat and I use fluid movements mostly. Plenty of expansive foot- and kneework. I balance my lack of muscle strength with intricacy. Number one criterion of mine would be to match the aspects of the beat.
    PE performance: This might be helpful as well. Back when I had lessons I was always known for either lack of foot coordination or perfect capacity, no in between. My preferences and talents were 100% clear. Fast games with bilateral paths were my strength and passion, aka basketball & soccer. Resolute once the ball is passed to me, quick to shield members of the opposite team, very tunnel-vision-ish motions. Gymnastics were and still are not my style unless I'd have to choreograph something more creative and lax. I didn't dance at that time so I wasn't able to handle all the precise, slow steps and the body tension. I avoided the riskier figures as well, showing something original instead.

Hm, and that's it. Thanks for bearing with me, I hope it helps you recognize NiTe in motion :3

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    You have to understand that Ausra was an ILE Ne looking for all kinds of logical patterns. I do that sometimes like I'll look to see if there's a pattern in eye shape size ect. Um if you're asking about my own walking style I have no idea lets ask @applejacks (she is fast but can stop suddenly) @Animal @Director Abbie (she hops along and is a fast walker)
    You hover along the ground with very little vertical or horizontal oscillation.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    You hover along the ground with very little vertical or horizontal oscillation.
    Thank you
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Wooden legs? I'm not sure what that implies. My legs aren't floppy...

I walk briskly. When I use a treadmill, I walk rather than run. I can walk 6 mph uphill, and my running endurance is less than a minute, so it's much more efficient for me to speedwalk than to jog. I do walk at a slower pace if I don't see a clear benefit to getting where I'm going sooner, but walking so slowly that it's as if my feet are dragging is psychologically painful to me.

I also like to walk backwards. It feels more natural somehow. So does dancing. Like there should be more to it than putting one foot in front of the other (or as a scientist explained: falling forward and catching yourself repeatedly).

Maybe I should pay more attention to the way people walk.
    My SLI mom walks more like me, but she goes nearer the ground to lengthen her stride if she's in a hurry.
    My IEE dad walks slowly. So does my SEI (E9) brother. But the latter doesn't annoy me because I can push him in front of me if he's in the way and he just goes with it. (I've also grabbed him by the shirt to move him out of the way so I could open a door.) And the IEE walks more agitatedly, like his movements are fast though his moving isn't.
    My LII brother was a fast walker. Straight, too.
    My SLE brother is more of a runner than a walker. He's fast.

I didn't notice Maritsa's walking style (so it must not have been very unordinary). I was more in tune with my relative position with the rest of the group. My favorite position was the back left. Second-favorite was front left. And when someone got on my left side, it felt off.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Gosh, I don't think I paid much attention. I'll check next time! You're quick to get up and get moving, though, especially when it comes to helping or assisting others.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I walk really fast as well, dunno about specifics - I'm conciously trying to slow myself down because fast-paced walk isn't particularly elegant, but it never sticks cause I get impatient.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Last year, I calculated I have an average walking speed of just over 3.68 mph (I walked two and three miles or so on two successive days, and was a hundredth of a mile per hour faster on the second day: I'm not sure there is necessarily any rationale for certain types being more prone to walking at consistent speeds).

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    I walk really fast as well, dunno about specifics - I'm conciously trying to slow myself down because fast-paced walk isn't particularly elegant, but it never sticks cause I get impatient.
    I think walking fast makes it look like you are going places and busy which I never found to be a negative thing lol. But I walk at like 100 mph!!

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah the whole behaviour is affected by type, so walking/moving too, you can also see it often in types.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfadder View Post

LSI drag them feet much. LIE is more jumpy and LSE have wooden legs. Alpha is dragging them feet and so is beta. Gamma and delta however have stiffer legs but LIE jumps.
    I do have stiff legs and I do jump. I almost walk on my 5 fingers only when I walk since I learned how to walk

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfadder View Post

Also I have found a pattern in the way SLEs walk . They walk with their shoulders and not hurriedly. Kind of cat family-like. I dunno how to explain correctly.