Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Every Day with 16 Tay

I wanted to start a thread for recipes. However, I don't have very many recipes, so I'll start by asking for recipes.

Anyone have any good Caribbean type recipes, blackened, Jamaican jerk, things along those lines which they like? Asian noodles recipes (yakisoba, chow mein, ramen, etc.) and things along the lines of Hungarian food with paprika on everything would also be appreciated.

I bought a couple of cookbooks but I still haven't made anything from them. So far my recipes are mostly along the lines of "put premade spice mixes and/or sauces on rice" and "put premade spice mixes and/or sauces on eggs." I made carbonated hibiscus tea with honey once and it was good, and that was just my idea, but to be fair, people have had wilder ideas and it has worked.

I could link some recipes I was looking at, but I haven't actually tried many yet, despite having access to the entire Internet and having some free subscriptions to magazines that definitely have some recipes in them.

I can recommend pine needle tea though. Try to only use white pine or knobcone pine depending on availability due to the diterpene abietane acids found in many pines especially ponderosa pine (however, I did use ponderosa pine before I knew better and didn't suffer any ill effects so it's probably not that big of a deal unless you're a pregnant woman or you have some kind of sensitivity.) There is my consolation recipe. Well, I can probably spend a lot of the thread talking about the various things you can brew into tea(sans) and the best methods so that might be my main contribution and a real one too.

@mu4

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are a few recipes from my grandpa.

Jamaican Chicken:
    16 green onions
    4 cloves garlic
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons paprika
    2 teaspoons thyme
    1 teaspoon pepper
    Mix in blender.
    2 chickens, cut in half
    Marinate in mixture 12–14 hours, place under skin.
    Roast in 300° oven for 1¾–2 hours, with one bottle of beer, covered.

Jerk Chicken (8), II:
    3 tablespoons rum
    ½ cup malt vinegar
    10 green onions
    4 garlic cloves
    2 tablespoons dried thyme
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    4 teaspoons allspice
    4 teaspoons ginger
    4 teaspoons cinnamon
    2 teaspoons nutmeg
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    2 teaspoon brown sugar
    1 cup catchup
    3 tablespoons soy
    8 chicken breast halves
    ½ cup lime juice
    Mix first 14 ingredients in blender, transfer bowl. Mix in catchup and soy. Arrange chicken on pan. Pour juice over. Cover with jerk seasoning. Chill overnight. Grill 30 minutes.

Chicken Paprikas (6), a Variation:
    6 boneless chicken breasts
    1 red pepper
    2 tablespoons paprika
    flour
    3 tablespoons oil
    2 onions, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tomato, peeled, chopped
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme
    ½ cup white wine
    1 can chicken broth
    ¼ cup sour cream
    ¼ cup cream
    parsley

Char pepper, steam, and peel. Season and flour chicken. Add 1 tablespoon paprika.

Brown chicken. Remove. Sauté onions. Add garlic. Add 1 tablespoon paprika. Add tomato, tomato paste, and thyme. Add wine. Scrape bottom. Add stock. Season. Return chicken. Cover. Simmer 15 minutes. Remove chicken. Add sour cream and cream. Pureé in blender. Reduce in pot. Serve sauce over chicken.
    Serving Note: Part of the Hungarian dinner.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He doesn’t have a lot of Asian noodle recipes, but I found this one which looks pretty easy:

Drunken Noodles:
    2 14-ounce packages 1/4″ flat rice noodles
    ¼ cup vegetable oil
    12 cloves chopped garlic
    1½ pounds ground chicken
    ¼ cup fish sauce
    ½ cup lite soy sauce
    1 tablespoon sugar
    4 large plum tomatoes, cut in wedges
    2 green peppers, cut into strips
    ¼ cup basil, sliced
    Sauté garlic and chicken in oil. Add sauces and sugar. Cook noodles in boiling salted water. Add noodles, tomatoes and peppers to chicken. Place on platter. Top with basil and serve.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

½ cup white wine
    Wine in food ?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to help but unfortunately I only know Syrian/Arab food that doesn't contain such things

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Messy View Post
    I would like to help but unfortunately I only know Syrian/Arab food that doesn't contain such things
    What's your favorite Syrian/Arab meal?

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, food without wine sounds better to me too since I don't drink wine, though I know "cooking wine" with no alcohol specifically for these kinds of recipes is a thing. The point is really just to get mu4 interested, and mu4 probably likes wine in food, and I was just asking for the kinds of things I liked (e.g., spicy food) but the wine in some of the recipes will probably attract @mu4 anyway even if I don't drink wine so w/e.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sahira View Post
    What's your favorite Syrian/Arab meal?
    I have a lot, I'm a glutton to be honest

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum Blue View Post
    Honestly, food without wine sounds better to me too since I don't drink wine, though I know "cooking wine" with no alcohol specifically for these kinds of recipes is a thing. The point is really just to get mu4 interested, and mu4 probably likes wine in food, and I was just asking for the kinds of things I liked (e.g., spicy food) but the wine in some of the recipes will probably attract @mu4 anyway even if I don't drink wine so w/e.
    Good trick

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good trick
    I mean, it wasn't really a trick since I wasn't setting out to ask for wine recipes and unlike, say, French roux, it's not overwhelmingly common for most of the kinds of recipes I asked for to have wine in them since I was really just asking for spicy food, but it'll probably work out better anyway.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wine in food ?
    Wine is acidic. It’s like adding balsamic vinegar to a sauce (in fact, vinegar would probably be a good substitute if you don’t have wine on hand or don’t want to use it). The alcohol in the wine cooks off so you can’t get drunk from your food. I believe there’s also some kind of chemical reaction between the alcohol molecules and the food which makes it taste better but idk I’m not a chemist.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    Wine is acidic. It’s like adding balsamic vinegar to a sauce (in fact, vinegar would probably be a good substitute if you don’t have wine on hand or don’t want to use it). The alcohol in the wine cooks off so you can’t get drunk from your food. I believe there’s also some kind of chemical reaction between the alcohol molecules and the food which makes it taste better but idk I’m not a chemist.
    Basically this. I don't keep wine around to cook with it or anything but there's no alcohol in food cooked in wine/beer/rum/whiskey/whatever kind of alcohol so I'm more than happy to eat it even if I don't drink. If I wanted to make it I'd probably look for a substitute for the alcohol though just so I don't have to have bottles of alcoholic beverages around, which are pretty expensive anyway since alcohol is taxed really hard. But, if someone is like "we're going to Olive Garden" I'll gladly take some wine pasta since it contains no actual alcohol. Heck, I've had pasta with wine in it from Olive Garden specifically when I was definitely way too young to be allowed to have alcohol because there's fortunately no alcohol in wine pasta so that's allowed.