Page 143 of 163 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153 ... LastLast
Results 5,681 to 5,720 of 6489

Thread: Delta Lounge

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default remembering recent past years, and a random past event

Well this post is not as deep and meaningful as the ones just before, in fact it will be rather rambling I think. I just feel like sharing something I was remembering today.

First, the background: I took care of my mom with Alzheimer's for 8 years, the last three with my new husband's huge help, and she died this winter. Mom and I and my son and then my husband went through the many diverse stages of Alzheimer's together, each new stage emerging unpredictably. I never had time really to reflect on the stages as we went through them because they kept changing and something completely new and alarming was always happening and there were new things to learn for the new stages as the old things weren't needed anymore. It seems now only months after the funeral am I able to reflect in ways I could not before.

These new stages offered ever-changing new challenges - kind of like a baby growing up, a toddler, all the different stages, what worked before doesn't work now, and you need to understand your child's new developing needs and have new strategies and responses, except its all in reverse.

In the final five months beginning with when she forgot how to stand and walk suddenly one day in September, thus beginning hospice stage, which included (seemingly) ever-present and ever-changing hospice staff in and out of the house (one birthed her baby, another changed careers...) and each new one needed re-informing and re-discussing all that had already been exhaustively discussed... I remember it as months of excessive talking in the house, constant ad nauseum talk about the SAME things - most often discussion the cleanup and practical side of her daily care and changing, and then there were the constant microscopic examinations and discussions about what might be the possible beginnings of bedsores (had the pink spot increased?) (which never did develop for all the talk), really minuscule details always discussed and I always felt were unnecessary because they did not accomplish anything, in reality we had to do the same things all the time and I preferred to just do them, not discuss them (but I would walk away when we got deep into the same discussion and my husband was perfectly willing to carry on these conversation for a long, long time and i was thankful and thus dispensed such discussions primarily to him, though I still had to hear them, but at least from another room) but they always discussed the same things. The answers to my real concerns - particularly how she was wasting away because she did not eat or drink enough, were the things that the seem, as hospice workers, to be considered unimportant, and I got more help on the internet for that, after they left. I was grateful for the help and the professional input they gave but it seemed to stretch out for more time than necessary, and came with the cost of an interruption of the privacy I cherish, and a peaceful private home with just my husband's presence. Those months around here felt circus-like. Like Grand Central Station to me.

(A good memory of this winter is we had a huge snow storm and the modest new electric snowblower I bought my husband for Christmas is not designed to handle very deep, very heavy snow. And though the hospice workers could park on the street, it was a daunting, seemingly impossible walk up the rather long uphill driveway to the house. So I was passionately persuading my husband to leave it alone rather shovel at the heavy snow, and instead just wait for it to go down in the coming warmer days, especially because I saw another neighbor carried out in an ambulance after she took on major driveway snow earlier this winter. Well our across the street neighbor has a huge gas-powered blower that can handle very heavy snows, and he knew about our rounds of workers coming to the house, and he came over and snow-blowed a perfect path all the way up the driveway so they could come through. What a surprise and a blessing.

But the circus stage is possibly better stages like the ones which felt like I lived in a crazy-house, that no one would believe or understand. And the rare times I did complain, just to put into words some frustration, for the relief of it, people who had not walked these shoes felt the need to advise, and it felt patronizing as if we could not/had not been able to think for ourselves these ordinary things we of course had considered from every single angle. It wore me out to then be in the position of having to explain the TONS of thought we had already put into these same suggestions and what we had been through to arrive where we were.

Then Mom died and all of the sudden the privacy and peace was back, but leaving a hole. A person-sized hole in this world is a huge one. Yes, even after years of being incoherent and rarely showing signs of recognizing anyone and being virtually unable to do anything for herself and repeating the same things day after day, all day. Yes, there was some relief but came the sad presence of this new ever-present hole. Suddenly over was this crazy life I lived that most people did not know I was living and if they did know they still could not imagine what it was like, because I wasn't able to explain it, I just did it.

Sometime into this life I began to spend some years here writing a lot because of interest in Socionics, as well as a desire to be a part of this discussion community. A lot of time because I was home a lot and the computer was always nearby.

(I am now working toward a different future. Its a work in progress).

Well, here is my

Random past event which I happened to be remembering today, reminding me of how bizarre and strange some of the past stages with Mom were, so different from the final stages. This one had a strange but happy ending that makes my heart feel light to remember it.

I was home on a Saturday, my son probably away for a long morning of wrestling practice, and after my work week (which included getting my Mom to adult day care before and after so I could work (I have no idea how this compares to taking your child to day care since I never did that but this was challenging) and I needed and looked forward to a peaceful morning at home, to take care of necessary things around the house, un-rushed and quiet.

I was on the main floor and so was Mom. It was before we finally saw the need to gate off the kitchen Mom so loved (so bizarre and unsafe things still happened there) and Mom was fully mobile and this morning she was everywhere, pacing on this large main floor, through the entry hall, in one kitchen door and out the other, dining room, living room, with a pause for a brief sit in her chair before she popped up again and, heavily sighing, back through the living room, past the stairs and down the hall to the laundry and then her quarters, and then back out and around again. And wherever I was she would find me and ask me demanding questions, fussing, verbalizing I don't remember what, but she was irritated and angry and repetitive and sure of herself in tone though she made no sense, and it was hard to find any peace in this. Most frustrating to me is there seemed to be no basis for this extreme agitation. It seemed to come from nowhere.

But I was, in my mind, heroically patient, answering kindly and persisting with her til the matter was somewhat settled and she was somewhat satisfied and walked away - only to come back in one minute with the same exact angry accusation in the same exact words and tones as if nothing had been said and this was a completely new conversation. Same questions, same answers; I was doing everything I could do to placate - placating was my whole tone - and all morning she exhausted me with this repeated display of agitation and anger.

Then I realized there was a lull in her relentless rounds; she had never returned from the last trip to her quarters. So I crept there quietly and peeked in, and saw she was napping. Thank goodness! I then enjoyed a needed good hour of peace. But then I began to hear her up and moving again, and braced myself for her entrance and more rounds of the same.

"Hi, Mom" I said, in a properly patient voice, despite what I felt inside, when she appeared. And she greeted me with the most pleasant ever "Hello!" and a most friendly delighted laugh like she was greeting an old friend, and in her most gracious voice and pleasant smile she exclaimed, "Thank goodness YOU'RE here!" Then, she came in closer and said in a conspiratorial tone, "There was a most unpleasant girl here this morning! Asking all kinds of nosy questions! And she WOULDN'T LEAVE!"
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 07-14-2017 at 03:49 AM.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What are some Delta anime favorites of you?

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    "Hi, Mom" I said, in a properly patient voice, despite what I felt inside, when she appeared. And she greeted me with the most pleasant ever "Hello!" and a most friendly delighted laugh like she was greeting an old friend, and in her most gracious voice and pleasant smile she exclaimed, "Thank goodness YOU'RE here!" Then, she came in closer and said in a conspiratorial tone, "There was a most unpleasant girl here this morning! Asking all kinds of nosy questions! And she WOULDN'T LEAVE!"
    Haha, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    A person-sized hole in this world is a huge one.
    Yes
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dogs love us because they have a genetic disorder

Rare Human Syndrome May Explain Why Dogs are So Friendly
    https://www.insidescience.org/news/r...re-so-friendly

Why are dogs such doting companions? It’s in their genes.
    http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...9s-their-genes

Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Love is authentic only when it gives freedom. Let this be the criterion. Love is true only when it does not interfere in the privacy of the other person. It respects his individuality, his privacy. But the lovers that you see around the world, their whole effort is that nothing should be private; all secrets should be told to them. They are afraid of individuality…” Osho

Picking a flower interferes with its individuality...its freedom.
    I am crushing hard on a guy who is polyamorous. I am so envious because he is truly not jealous. And it's so tragic because he is crushing on me, too, but I just can't do it. And he is the man of my dreams. A wildly romantic tragedy (I am kind of digging it, but COME ON, universe...). Call me Kimliet.

I am going to start a blog: "Adventures of a serial IEE dater."
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I'd read that.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I'd read that.
    I think it's more of a 7w8 sx/so blog, come to think of it.

But man, this one is just not fair....
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I am crushing hard on a guy who is polyamorous. I am so envious because he is truly not jealous. And it's so tragic because he is crushing on me, too, but I just can't do it. And he is the man of my dreams. A wildly romantic tragedy (I am kind of digging it, but COME ON, universe...). Call me Kimliet.

I could kind of see you in a polyamorous setting Is that off the table for you?

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    You could?? I don't know, I am pretty possessive and when I am into someone, I am pretty obsessed with that person.

I have thought about it because of this guy, but I couldn't. Not when after we meet, he goes home to his happy family life and I go home alone. Or I have a scary doctor's appointment and he can't be there because of his wife or other lovers.

And lots of other reasons (I am pretty paranoid of STDs, he lives 120 miles away (which is more a problem for him than for me), etc.). Not to mention jealousy, yikes.

Sigh.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Interesting topic, could get a discussion going. Personally, I don't like possessive romance, it limits freedom. I don't like being controlled either so I'd not want to own a person vice versa, this erases considering their will entirely. As I experienced, being controlling ensures many things but has crass downsides, and it backfires often. If they would explicitly want to be toyed with like an object, well I'd see about that and am not closed to it but I've become a sceptic approving of those with good self-love. If they wanna be exclusively one-on-one for solid reasons, fair enough, I can engage in it & respect that. But in possession, it's about not considering their perspective: ego-lust of a player > love here. The beginning of a relation is much about some sort of claiming but option always matters. To me, jealousy is a killer Obsession is so tempting... but unhealthy, this stuff eats you up, sadly. Dedication as a lower manifestation of that seems better. SX first issues to deal with there, it's like wanting to open your own entire body to trap the other inside to be forever enamoured and stimulated - but with them struggling inside. SO second perhaps brings the reasonable poly-ness

When I would like to be one-on-one entirely it'd be based on the strength of our mutual sentiment. If you don't love another person more than this particular one, and you're so advanced in the relation that another guy or gal just isn't an opportunity anymore, what's the use of keeping any options open.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I never hear you talk about your relationships Chae, do you have any?

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Bertrand It's Delta privacy Don't feel like showing off the people I am with or not, just my parents once, I recall. I do the sharing is caring in whatever abstract advice I'm giving. I'd rather talk to the person I am with about our relationship than doing that with others.

If you were attentive enough so far you have seen me making one post about a past relationship somewhere, that's all. Read out of this what you like, project onto me whatever status or imagination you like, all I know is that the Internet ain't the best place for my .

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

interesting, ok thanks

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    @Bertrand It's Delta privacy Don't feel like showing off the people I am with or not, just my parents once, I recall. I do the sharing is caring in whatever abstract advice I'm giving. I'd rather talk to the person I am with about our relationship than doing that with others.

If you were attentive enough so far you have seen me making one post about a past relationship somewhere, that's all. Read out of this what you like, project onto me whatever status or imagination you like, all I know is that the Internet ain't the best place for my .

ROLL SAFE
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    IEE 9w1 sx//so
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I've been somewhat blessed for having grown up with my grandparents where my grandfather is actually my dual - SLI. When I was little I was constantly around him. Everything he was ding was so interesting to me - all these crafts and housework and building this and that and fixing this and that. He's also always been the one I've felt the most unspoken understanding with (grandma and mom are Alpha SFs) and felt the most comfortable going for help, advice and support to.
    But what is worrisome to me kinda is that my grandparents relationship has always been just horrible. I have rarely seen them interact in a way that wasn't fighting or nagging. And my grandfather has always had drinking issues.
    I've said before to some people that I would build a monument to my grandpa because he is such a goodhearted, modest, hardworking guy. But I also feel resentment towards him and kinda fear that if I ever get the chance to meet and date a dual some of the psychological similarities will bring up the sense of resentment in me and the rest of the negative experiences. It's a far fetched worry tho I know that, just a random thought as I was going through the duality threads.

Idk if I've managed to dualize with my grandpa in any way. I've actually had the luck to have both my dual and my semi-dual in my immediate family growing up so I should be well versed in Si but us having very little actual relationship in the fam maybe took that opportunity away.
    I've learned a lot from my grandma in regards to health tho. She's a bit of an ''alternative/natural medicine'' freak but only in regards to collecting natural remedies and treating yourself with that if you can (never was against pharmaceutical medicine tho, I was always treated very well and rationally in that).
    I've also learned some Si-Te practicalities in running a household and growing produce. This year grandpa taught me how to make and light a fireplace right and make sure as much heat as possible is distributed among the rooms. He even said it in a ''this will be useful for you, it's legacy'' way which was cute.

Hmm interesting to thin what I have taken from this growing up duality experience.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Palm full of Crayons View Post
    I think I've been somewhat blessed for having grown up with my grandparents where my grandfather is actually my dual - SLI. .
    so you're anne of green gables basically ?
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    Update: I either put it on the table or stop talking to this guy. He is incredible ugh.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE 9w1 sx//so
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    so you're anne of green gables basically ?
    You know... I might be

ohh never thought about it but that really is an IEE/SLI family duality. I love Anne of Green Gables ughh this is adorable, wanna re-watch/re-read it now.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Palm full of Crayons View Post
    You know... I might be

ohh never thought about it but that really is an IEE/SLI family duality. I love Anne of Green Gables ughh this is adorable, wanna re-watch/re-read it now.
    the new netflix one appears a bit histrionically dark at times, but, I like it overall. I think it does a good job of capturing anne's internal struggle, and even paints here emotional honesty in a more tragic light.

Some 'beta flair" maybe but still good

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am planning on writing two articles about delta NFs, one about pouting or self absorbtion in a negative sense, and one about pouting in a less than negative sense.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i haven't scene @Minde's diplomacy in a while

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i haven't scene @Minde's diplomacy in a while

I have. She's pretty good at it.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walking down the street tonight, I feel a sudden sharp shove on my arm. A bicyclist rolls past me on the sidewalk. He looks back, makes eye contact, smirks and silently chuckles. Upon observing what must be my glowering expression, his smile fades, "Oh, uh, sorry..." He continues looking at me; I keep walking forward, eyes still narrowed. He kicks his pedals harder and speeds off.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Walking down the street tonight, I feel a sudden sharp shove on my arm. A bicyclist rolls past me on the sidewalk. He looks back, makes eye contact, smirks and silently chuckles. Upon observing what must be my glowering expression, his smile fades, "Oh, uh, sorry..." He continues looking at me; I keep walking forward, eyes still narrowed. He kicks his pedals harder and speeds off.
    "So much depends upon the red wheel barrow, glazed with rain water, beside the white chickens."

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been an aggravating night for other reasons, too. I want to believe in the goodness of people, I really do. But sometimes people make it hard to do that. Or at least they make it very hard for me to be happy with them.

... I need more grumpy emoticons ...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Kim: Did you know it takes 6 months for HIV to become testable?

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This looked Delta, LSE in particular.

(I can't stop giggling they look funny )

TIM
    Type FML
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    This looked Delta, LSE in particular.

(I can't stop giggling they look funny )

Sporty dress shoes for the win; can't tell if they're practical and a good idea or very cringe worthy xO

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    @Kim: Did you know it takes 6 months for HIV to become testable?
    Three months. You are welcome.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE 9w1 sx//so
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what Delta lounge should literally look like tho

@paranoid I think you'll love the last one with horses and the little girl

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Kim: Jee, great news! Still best to stick to your husband / wife of choice, even if they are crap, because life is too short to have fun. Adversity is what makes the human to be really real, and not just another vanilla/plastic fun-rider like in an all-ready, "fast food" fun land.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Should I say goodbye from Delta and say hi to Alpha right now? Or should I still wait for further diagnostic?

dont leeeeeave us!
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the new netflix one appears a bit histrionically dark at times, but, I like it overall. I think it does a good job of capturing anne's internal struggle, and even paints here emotional honesty in a more tragic light.

Some 'beta flair" maybe but still good
    Ugh, I hated it. A dark, dark, Anne in a dark, dark town. I tried to be open and like it, and watched it all, but by the end of it I absolutely hated it, and my husband agreed (though he is not as passionate about haring it as me). We won't watch if they go on with this nonsense for another season. I have to believe enough Anne-lovers hate it so they won't. The writer/director just did NOT get the original Anne at ALL.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Should I say goodbye from Delta and say hi to Alpha right now? Or should I still wait for further diagnostic?
    Which Alpha are you thinking you are, Andreas? ISFp??

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dropped my phone in my tea...

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a friend that is a carpenter. It absolutely blows my mind the amount of detail
    that one must pay when building/constructing things. I am not an exact enough person
    to handle that responsibility and I envy those that possess this skill. I figure some of
    y'all can relate. How are people so precise in everything!?!?!?!??????
    Everything interests me but nothing holds me.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    I have a friend that is a carpenter. It absolutely blows my mind the amount of detail
    that one must pay when building/constructing things. I am not an exact enough person
    to handle that responsibility and I envy those that possess this skill. I figure some of
    y'all can relate. How are people so precise in everything!?!?!?!??????
    My husband (SLI) is a self-trained carpenter and builder. Yes, there is a lot of detail and a lot of math and 3D thinking and knowledge that goes into the planning of a thing, and I admire it. I love joining him in planning a home project with my particular aesthetic. I know what I think looks right, and he knows how to make it happen. And my aesthetic can be very particular! But I think he likes the challenge of figuring out the how-to, once he sees I am really set on a thing.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    I dropped my phone in my tea...

Did you put it in rice? Is it alive? How are you otherwise?

I was just in LA - moving back there is not optional. It's my happy place and once I get my green card (life goal #1), I have to make my way back somehow (life goal #2).
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just in LA - moving back there is not optional. It's my happy place and once I get my green card (life goal #1), I have to make my way back somehow (life goal #2).
    I will pray you get your green card soon! I have those in my life who need that, too. So you are added to my list! And I hope you get back to LA someday since you seem to truly love that place. (Personally I like more open space, like what surrounds you now.)

I don't get what you are trying to say.
    It is hard to make sense of, for sure. But I want to puzzle it out... I think what @Dee is saying (and I invite him to correct me if I am wrong) is that the drawbacks to casual sex (he is calling that "fast food" and plastic fun) are very, very serious, the results of which ultimately take the fun out of life. Better to keep sex to the one spouse you marry for life and avoid that whole sad, sad road. However, the highroad is not always easy, and Dee seems to allude to going without, or being in a marriage that has difficulties, as being part of the adversities of life that make you real. And if this is what he is saying, I agree.