Thread: George Friedman

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default George Friedman

Please(!) no VI. I know he looks like George W Bush - I don't care. Gimme some arguments for his type based on what he says.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSE was what I was thinking also. I'm surprised!

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I was actually thinking ESTp...with Te demonstrating as a second option...it's hard to tell from the video because he could be reading a script and other than that he speaks nothing of his personal self.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 03-27-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the functions use the past and the future. Ni just assesses the flow of events and makes predictions.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratsghost View Post
    All the functions use the past and the future. Ni just assesses the flow of events and makes predictions.
    He's assessing the flow of events and makes predictions, which I hear him talk about, but that could just be DS...that's what I meant.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

ESTP(?)

Please, no VI.
    There are 2 principally different methods wich relate to VI: phisiognomy and nonverbal (also called "image method"). Some typers mix them. Both methods may use videos and photos. Image method have more resonable basis, while phisiognomy is marginal (in ex-USSR, at least).

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bump

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree about the ESTj typing.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone agree with his general assessment regarding the inevitable rise of the USA and the collapse of China? I know a certain Polish aristocrat who wouldn't.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, and he's probably enfp or esfp. estj is a serious contender for the worst possible typing for him.
    Last edited by xerx; 10-09-2019 at 03:04 AM. Reason: edit

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    oh, and he's probably enfp or esfp. estj is a serious contender for the worst possible typing for him.
    or maybe you just suck.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    or maybe you just suck.
    ah haha ha, keep on piling the personal attacks; they totally add substance to your claim.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While it sounds unthinkable now, he believes that, by the 2030's, the advanced countries are going to be competing with each other for immigrants and paying people to immigrate.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    While it sounds unthinkable now, he believes that, by the 2030's, the advanced countries are going to be competing with each other for immigrants and paying people to immigrate.
    "The multicultural dream" is about to turn into "a security nightmare".

George Friedman - ENFP - Huxley

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khcs View Post
    George Friedman - ENFP - Huxley
    Care to elaborate?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, his book was written in 2009 and this is what he predicted for the 2010's:

- The US vs. Jihadi war will wind down. In spite of the recent surge of ISIS, this is, in fact, slowly happening. In the far future, it will be as forgotten as the Spanish-American war and all the hysteria it brought about will seem faintly ridiculous.

- Russia will ignite a mini-cold war with the West by moving into Central Asia, the Middle East, and Eastern Europe. Russia has moved into Central Asia, and there has definitely been a confrontation with Russia in the Ukraine and Syria, although Russia hasn't absorbed Ukraine as per his prediction. Friedman goes on to predict that Russia will collapse at some point in the 2020s, as Moscow's coffers dry up and its regional governments begin to look out for themselves.

- China will become unstable and insular. Friedman argues that China operates along dynastic cycles. Whenever China opens up to the world, the coastal regions become rich from trade while the interior remains poor. This creates resentment and separatism until another Mao-like figure takes over, closes the country to foreigners, imposes a brutal repression apparatus, and equalizes the wealth. China's current chairman has indeed successfully cracked down on previously-enjoyed freedoms, and China is in the process of introducing harsh, authoritarian systems. However, it hasn't closed itself off from the world and remains a major player.

- The European Union isn't a real nation-state and will eventually break apart as different nations pursue their own interests. Also, Western Europeans are too decadent and would never fight or die for a righteous cause, in any case. It's too early to tell whether or not this is true.

^ The last three must reach their culmination in the 2020's or early 2030's for the bulk of his predictions to hold up. Russia, China, and Europe have to go away to make room for the other superpowers that he predicts will take their place.
    Last edited by xerx; 10-09-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Prediction of any kind is a risky business.

Jack London and Robespierre hate vague predictions.
    Stierlitz and Gorky are very cautious with such predictions.