Thread: Hello from an SLI

TIM
    SLI-Si 9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello from an SLI

Hi folks. I came across MBTI and Enneagram before Socionics, but some of the info I've picked up on this site about the SLI-Si has hit home more than anything else. I'm otherwise Enneagram 9 and probably ISTP in Myers-Briggs. A few things to get to know me better, let's see...I'm a college student. I born and raised in Atlanta, but my family has in recent years moved to Maryland.

I seem like a jock but am also secretly a nerd. I love snowboarding and horseback riding, but then can play a Star Wars video game just as easily. I'm very interested in fitness, despite being a foodie. I'm sure I have some type 9 issues, because if I see conflict I try to skirt around it. I also enjoy learning about history. I'm from a Syrian Jewish background. I don't want to get too long winded, so you can find out the rest later or just ask.

TIM
    ENFp-IEE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HI!!! Where do you snowboard? I ski. I love to ski. One of my best friends when I was younger was an ISTp that loved to ski, too, he basically taught me everything about how to ski, actually. I usually ski in Utah/Montana. I've never been out east - Just never really lived in that direction. I went to Washington DC once (Definitely not to ski/snowboard) but that's the farther northeast I've been since then. How do you like Maryland vs Georgia?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

If you will make a video it will be possible to check your type. There are many mistyped.

TIM
    SLI-Si 9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    Ah Maryland. I was in baltimore recently. the drivers there....
    Haha Yeah, they're not all like that, but enough to know what you mean. I'm in the D.C. metropolitan area, but I've been to Baltimore a dozen times at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Connorrrrr View Post
    HI!!! Where do you snowboard? I ski. I love to ski. One of my best friends when I was younger was an ISTp that loved to ski, too, he basically taught me everything about how to ski, actually. I usually ski in Utah/Montana. I've never been out east - Just never really lived in that direction. I went to Washington DC once (Definitely not to ski/snowboard) but that's the farther northeast I've been since then. How do you like Maryland vs Georgia?
    Hey Connor, I saw your intro thread and I love Chinese food too. There are a couple nice places in the Poconos I've been to, but no place on the east coast can really compete with the mountains and even the atmosphere out west. I already have a winter break trip booked in the magnificent Telluride, CO. I've heard some of the best ski resorts in Utah don't allow snowboarding, but skiing is a blast too.

10611265_705030742942937_1677877434_n.jpg

I'm kind of accustomed to the slower paced style, I mean even a city like Atlanta is still the South, but Washington, D.C. is beautiful city. It's so organized and well planned. I guess that has an appeal. The nearby countryside of Maryland is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    If you will make a video it will be possible to check your type. There are many mistyped.
    Sol, I'll probably post in the typing section soon. I'm wary of visual typing, but I'll give it a shot, even if I think someone is going to call me like an INFx because of my chin shape or something. I would never discount mannerisms and expressions, but that can be hard to pick up unless you're observing someone in their natural habitat.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

-
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

You can recognize types with a few sentences if you listen and learn to pick up on patterns. Often times it will be clear. For instance LSE will gravitate to "tasty" food that they will want you to pick up to your "taste" that may be "quick!"

You are SLI most certainly
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Sli are smart and nice nerds more so than teacher's pets EII
    -

netflix and don't touch me Emmym's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yep, you sound just like an SLI, haha. Welcome!
    someday the grapes will be wine
    and someday you will be mine

EII-Ne 2w3 - 9w1 - 7w8 so/sx

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello. If you're SLI, that makes us duals.

I still don't understand if you're a minus or a plus. I mean, gender.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome!
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    SLI-Si 9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I looked into the typing thread and saw the 80 questions and 10 minute video options. That would be really awkward for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    Hello. If you're SLI, that makes us duals.

I still don't understand if you're a minus or a plus. I mean, gender.
    Female. I have it on my profile, but I don't have the profile filled out completely and haven't previewed it to make sure it's appearing correctly. Sorry about that. I guess I should finish filling it out after this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    You can recognize types with a few sentences if you listen and learn to pick up on patterns. Often times it will be clear. For instance LSE will gravitate to "tasty" food that they will want you to pick up to your "taste" that may be "quick!"

You are SLI most certainly
    Maritsa, I read some of your posts when still a lurker and, since they demonstrate a solid knowledge of Socionics, I'll ask you about visual typing. When I first discovered MBTI I toyed with the idea of being an ISFP. I knew I was one of the Artisan temperaments and there aren't a lot of female ISTPs around for comparative analysis and without some sort of manifestation I can see it's almost impossible for me to grasp what an ISTP really is. I figured I had sort of an ISFP 9 vibe like maybe Ellie Goulding, but I'm more reserved and less open. Sometimes I'm almost unaware of my emotions until I think about them after the fact. Little things like that lead me to ISTP and eventually ISTp in Socionics. What would be the visual differences between ISTp and ISFp? How do ISTps appear to others?

Quote Originally Posted by chips and underwear View Post
    Welcome!
    Hi, chips. I'm probably a 953 tritype too, but likely So last. Not that I'm antisocial, but I seem to automatically prioritize the Sp and Sx aspects of the 9 type.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

A few comparisons:

SEI: teases, seeks fun silly fun like throwing food and water at people, with regards to mates encourages people to have "fun" as in promiscuity, seeks out a new mate to replace the old before the breakup, leaves conflict situation because it's unpleasant, hesitant of business acumen

SLI: morally serious about relationship choices and movements. Much like a saint he will endure tough relationship because of morals and commitment, "I don't sleep around with just anyone", energized by conflict, is hopeful and positive about forwarding plans about relationship and business,
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Outward appearance SEI can be either restrained and serious or giggling. Sli do both. It's hard to tell them apart unless you get into a conversation or conflict then you see
    -

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Hey, welcome.

I would not rule out the possibility of you being LSI too prematurely. LSI has got 4D Si, so it is not impossible for them to mistype as SLI.
    Your description of yourself rather reminded me of an LSI (esp. the "I seem like a jock but am also secretly a nerd"-part. Most Beta STs, esp. LSI, relate to this. Maybe @Myst can give her own perspective on this, and how she figured out she was LSI and not SLI.)

Just a heads-up to make sure you don't settle on a possibly wrong type too quickly.

Good idea would be for you to reach clarity in regards to Beta vs Delta, find out which Quadra feels familiar.
    Also, whether you "like"/enjoy Fe or Ne more, especially in other people.

E9 could be about right, but check up on 6w7 to make sure this is not your type, for it is another possibility.
    SO blindspot is rather likely.

TIM
    SLI-Si 9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SisOfNight View Post
    Hey, welcome.

I would not rule out the possibility of you being LSI too prematurely. LSI has got 4D Si, so it is not impossible for them to mistype as SLI.
    Your description of yourself rather reminded me of an LSI (esp. the "I seem like a jock but am also secretly a nerd"-part. Most Beta STs, esp. LSI, relate to this. Maybe @Myst can give her own perspective on this, and how she figured out she was LSI and not SLI.)

Just a heads-up to make sure you don't settle on a possibly wrong type too quickly.

Good idea would be for you to reach clarity in regards to Beta vs Delta, find out which Quadra feels familiar.
    Also, whether you "like"/enjoy Fe or Ne more, especially in other people.

E9 could be about right, but check up on 6w7 to make sure this is not your type, for it is another possibility.
    SO blindspot is rather likely.

Hi, SisOfNight. I might have to do a type me thread after all.

LSI might make some sense, even if I don't relate much to the stereotype of LSIs being orderly and like robotic in the pursuit of their goals. I relate more to the lazy slob stereotype of SLI. In all seriousness, I'm far more easy going and I don't feel weighed down by anxiety, so I don't see any E6 traits in myself. LSI didn't sound particularly weighed down by anxiety either or at least they focused it in a constructive way, instead of trying to avoid it by different methods.

I've done more research on the Enneagram so far. I have a few books and have started trying to type people I know. I have more confidence in my E9 type than the others, but I'm still learning how the different instictual variants reveal themselves in people of the same type.
    On the differences between the 359 and 369 tritypes I relate to the 359.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ4v...kHjEIMksvI4C3i
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6AR...kHjEIMksvI4C3i

Thanks for the advice on looking into Beta vs. Delta. I'll read up on them.

TIM
    SLI-Si 9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Welcome!

If that is you in your avatar, you do VI similarly to Grace Kelly who has commonly been typed as SLI

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ly&FORM=HDRSC2
    Thanks. It is. I must say I like the idea of being similar to Princess Grace.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

https://web.archive.org/web/20141121...om/composites/

I happened to be looking at the facial composites over at socionix and I noticed you look very similar to the female Si-ISTp and Si-ISFp pics there.

female+Si-ISTp.jpg female+Si-ISFp.jpg

Si-ISTps are more like ISFps because of the strengthened F functions and Si-ISFps are more like ISTps because of strengthened T functions so these subtypes can be a bit similar. As of now I would say SLI is most likely because your demeanor seems more logical. As for SLI vs LSI I can't say for sure but I still think SLI. My opinion might change with a typing thread though, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Muddy; 11-13-2015 at 05:55 AM.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, neighbor! (Montgomery County, here.) I no longer practice the religion of Socionics but, if you're interested, maybe we can organize another D.C.-area meetup? There are a handful of us in the area.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hi, Avigail. The forum is always in need of more SLIs. What are you studying in college?

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Welcome, neighbor! (Montgomery County, here.) I no longer practice the religion of Socionics but, if you're interested, maybe we can organize another D.C.-area meetup? There are a handful of us in the area.
    I vote yes. In fact, I was just talking with Molly from WSS about coordinating another meetup.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome to the16. one day you will wish you never started.

: P

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avigail View Post
    Thanks. It is. I must say I like the idea of being similar to Princess Grace.
    According to avatar photo you may be INFP.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    No.
    Prove.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

She's SLI
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

We love nerds
    -

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

lol you type everyone as "INFP"

TIM
    Delta NF
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello! You look almost identical to a close friend I've typed as SLI!

...I think someone is going to call me like an INFx because of my chin shape or something.
    Like you, she also has the remarkable ability to see into the future and predict what will happen with an astounding degree of accuracy!

.. Just kidding, she doesn't really. But it would be so cool if that were true!

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Hi folks. I came across MBTI and Enneagram before Socionics, but some of the info I've picked up on this site about the SLI-Si has hit home more than anything else. I'm otherwise Enneagram 9 and probably ISTP in Myers-Briggs.
    Hi!

Eh, ISTP in MBTI by dichotomies or by functions? (I, S, T, P vs Ti+Se)

Do note SLI/ISTp in Socionics isn't necessarily the same.

Maritsa, I read some of your posts when still a lurker and, since they demonstrate a solid knowledge of Socionics, I'll ask you about visual typing. When I first discovered MBTI I toyed with the idea of being an ISFP. I knew I was one of the Artisan temperaments and there aren't a lot of female ISTPs around for comparative analysis and without some sort of manifestation I can see it's almost impossible for me to grasp what an ISTP really is. I figured I had sort of an ISFP 9 vibe like maybe Ellie Goulding, but I'm more reserved and less open. Sometimes I'm almost unaware of my emotions until I think about them after the fact. Little things like that lead me to ISTP and eventually ISTp in Socionics.
    So what do you relate to in terms of SLI?

Easy, Ti > Te valuing. As per the definitions.

Btw I don't think I look like a jock but I don't really dress or behave like a nerd, I'm only secretly a nerd, right Though people have told me before that they got the hunch I'm more intellectual than most.

Hi, SisOfNight. I might have to do a type me thread after all.
    Definitely do one

LSI might make some sense, even if I don't relate much to the stereotype of LSIs being orderly and like robotic in the pursuit of their goals. I relate more to the lazy slob stereotype of SLI. In all seriousness, I'm far more easy going and I don't feel weighed down by anxiety, so I don't see any E6 traits in myself. LSI didn't sound particularly weighed down by anxiety either or at least they focused it in a constructive way, instead of trying to avoid it by different methods.
    Those are stereotypes... do you enjoy being a lazy slob all day tho'?

Thanks for the advice on looking into Beta vs. Delta. I'll read up on them.
    Any luck there?

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

@Avigail This doesn't mean much but you do look like someone I know who I've considered SLI for. Same expression.. the LSIs I know don't have it. But I don't trust VI that much on its own. This could be enneagram related rather than sociotype.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddytextures View Post
    https://web.archive.org/web/20141121...om/composites/

I happened to be looking at the facial composites over at socionix and I noticed you look very similar to the female Si-ISTp and Si-ISFp pics there.

female+Si-ISTp.jpg female+Si-ISFp.jpg
    I would never base my typing on some "facial composites" found online. First, we tend to look similar to our parents, who often don't share the same Socionics type. People tell me I look similar to my Dad (kind of, we are both dark-haired and have dark eyes, that's it IMO, but oh well), and he's LSE. Total opposites. So, this leads me to my second point: genetics influence facial features, but not necessarily Socionics type. Typing someone on how their face looks – and I do not mean facial expression (those facial composites all have about the same facial expression, btw), but things like eye or nose shape etc. – is greatly misleading. (Besides, I have got a very similar face shape to my SEE sister. Again, types are not the same at all.) Socionics is about how a person functions, the type is mainly something that is based on the processes in the brain, though those processes will show themselves in someone's actions, ideals, goals, and the like. All of those aspects are not detectable in a motionless face.

At last, I believe those facial composites are inherently flawed due to the fact there must be many mistypes in them. (Socionics still does not have a good typing system; and based on my experience, many Socionists still mistype several people on a regular basis, especially celebrities or famous figures.)

All in all, just because someone looks a bit like a facial composite of a type (or not), does not mean they are that type (or not).

Though I'd like to add that even if you had the ability to type someone based on their face only, you'd have to recognize that Quasi-Identicals will have a very similar look, simply because their functional strengths are equal. So, in regards to differentiating LSI vs SLI, you'd most likely have a problem.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would never base my typing on some "facial composites" found online. First, we tend to look similar to our parents, who often don't share the same Socionics type. People tell me I look similar to my Dad (kind of, we are both dark-haired and have dark eyes, that's it IMO, but oh well), and he's LSE. Total opposites. So, this leads me to my second point: genetics influence facial features, but not necessarily Socionics type. Typing someone on how their face looks – and I do not mean facial expression (those facial composites all have about the same facial expression, btw), but things like eye or nose shape etc. – is greatly misleading. (Besides, I have got a very similar face shape to my SEE sister. Again, types are not the same at all.) Socionics is about how a person functions, the type is mainly something that is based on the processes in the brain, though those processes will show themselves in someone's actions, ideals, goals, and the like. All of those aspects are not detectable in a motionless face.

At last, I believe those facial composites are inherently flawed due to the fact there must be many mistypes in them. (Socionics still does not have a good typing system; and based on my experience, many Socionists still mistype several people on a regular basis, especially celebrities or famous figures.)

All in all, just because someone looks a bit like a facial composite of a type (or not), does not mean they are that type (or not).

Though I'd like to add that even if you had the ability to type someone based on their face only, you'd have to recognize that Quasi-Identicals will have a very similar look, simply because their functional strengths are equal. So, in regards to differentiating LSI vs SLI, you'd most likely have a problem.
    My typings are never intended to be set in stone, I only list standalone evidence and findings. I'm well aware of the potential flaws of those facial composites and the mistypes within them BUT in my opinion most of them seem rather accurate. The may be some individuals way off from those but the law of large numbers dictates the more people in a sample the closer you get to a singular result. Its a matter of probability instead of this is right or wrong.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

My typings are never intended to be set in stone, I only list standalone evidence and findings. I'm well aware of the potential flaws of those facial composites and the mistypes within them BUT in my opinion most of them seem rather accurate. The may be some individuals way off from those but the law of large numbers dictates the more people in a sample the closer you get to a singular result. Its a matter of probability instead of this is right or wrong.
    How big were these samples? What is the guarantee that they will converge?

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    I vote yes. In fact, I was just talking with Molly from WSS about coordinating another meetup.
    Great! Let me know what date(s) you guys are settling on!
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    How big were these samples? What is the guarantee that they will converge?
    Heh, I always give Ti mixed with Ne and then you always want pure Ti. Never fails.

The samples used there were around 10-15, not very big I know. I always compare stuff with my own experience to form an intuitive judgment of whether something is correct and I'm pretty confident in my ability to do this. Of course, the drawback of that method is that it is not always easy to convince others of it's validity as I'm sure you know. I've taken statistics class and I'm very familiar with how results homogenize when the sample size increases. I am rather certain the genes and lifestyle of the types effect their appearance, and given large enough samples, you would start to see distinct kinds of looks for each of the types. The might be exceptions, but again, its an undeniable correlation. Obviously more research still needs to be done on VI for it to become more reliable. Until then, I'll keep using my intuition.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Heh, I always give Ti mixed with Ne and then you always want pure Ti. Never fails.
    Hahaha right.. Or Ti with Se also works

The samples used there were around 10-15, not very big I know. I always compare stuff with my own experience to form an intuitive judgment of whether something is correct and I'm pretty confident in my ability to do this. Of course, the drawback of that method is that it is not always easy to convince others of it's validity as I'm sure you know. I've taken statistics class and I'm very familiar with how results homogenize when the sample size increases. I am rather certain the genes and lifestyle of the types effect their appearance, and given large enough samples, you would start to see distinct kinds of looks for each of the types. The might be exceptions, but again, its an undeniable correlation. Obviously more research still needs to be done on VI for it to become more reliable. Until then, I'll keep using my intuition.
    OK my problem is that the convergence relies on strength of those correlations between type and physical appearance... it may not be a very strong correlation.

And 10-15 is nothing.