View Poll Results: If you believed that someone was mentally deficient, would you tell them?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only in a Diplomatic Fashion

2 11.11%
  • No, of course not

7 38.89%
  • No

6 33.33%
  • Otter

6 33.33%
  • Other

2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: If you believed that someone was mentally deficient, would you tell them?

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default If you believed that someone was mentally deficient, would you tell them?

?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

No, because there is way too much grey area when it comes to intelligence IMO. Even someone that appears mentally deficient will have intelligence in a niche area like that guy that appears dumb overall, but is a brilliant musician or a brilliant artist. That autistic savant that can't tie his own shoes, but can calculate impossible math equations in his head. Most people aren't as extreme as the last example, but I think almost everyone is good at something. Some people may also appear mediocre, but are actually intelligent and vice versa.

Also, the people that actually are intelligent overall tend to have some form of mental deficiency themselves whether it is their conscience or social abilities. Sure, there is a minority of individuals that are actually perfectly intelligent without any deficiencies or stupid without any talent, but they're actually very rare. Also, there's not much anyone can do about their intelligence, they can make themselves become dumber temporarily with addiction to drugs or alcohol or smarter temporarily with specific drugs.

Head injuries or other forms of brain damage, can make someone less intelligent in certain aspects, while leaving other aspects intact and leaving people temporarily less intelligent overall until they recover. On the bright side, your intelligence is somewhat impacted by diet and exercise so it can be improved by how well you take care of yourself, but that has limitations as well in that we all have a limit to our potential. Finally, knowledge, which anyone can gain is obtained via experience primarily, but intelligence can speed up the process.
    Last edited by Raver; 04-11-2017 at 06:14 PM.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nah, you're probably just projecting. The typical smart person (let's say anyone in the 115+ Iq range) is above-average in most aspects of life (mental and physical health, looks, height, social skills/emotional intelligence, career/financial success, etc.). Most of the elite party schools in the U.S. have average SAT scores roughly equivalent to the high 110s - low 120s IQ range.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go do something fun or interesting instead.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suedehead View Post
    Nah, you're probably just projecting. The typical smart person (let's say anyone in the 115+ Iq range) is above-average in most aspects of life (mental and physical health, looks, social skills, morals, career/financial success, etc.)
    You're oversimplifying here. Conversely, one's mental and physical health can impact their intelligence, looks, social skills and their career/financial success. Also, I don't think there is that much of a connection between morals and intelligence from my experience, the two appear to be mostly distinct from one another. Everyone has a floor and a ceiling when it comes to all of the traits you listed and these can be improved or worsened based on their decisions. Obviously, everyone has their own unique floor and ceiling, which limits what they are capable of achieving because of genetics, but that does not mean that it is set in stone.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For every high IQ social reject there are about a dozen golden boys studying Law/Business and leaving their mark on the Harvard rowing team who are absolutely killing it at life. The jock in my sig probably has an above-average IQ.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I would ask you because you come off nagging bitching oblivious and mean and I'd want to know if it was a result of some kind of disorder or was it just you being an ass hole.

I'd want to know is it autism or more that I'm dealing with and if it is I can really know how to deal with it
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

For every high IQ social reject there are about a dozen golden boys entering chaddy fields like Law/Business who are absolutely killing it at life. The jock in my sig probably has an above-average IQ.
    I know you think that people succeed or fail in life largely based on the genetic lottery and that is true to an extent, but don't forget the impact that environmental upbringing can have. Being born into a wealthy family with good parents can have a greater impact on one's success rather than simply their genetics and IQ. Environmental upbringing also has an impact on IQ as well. You have valid points, but don't forget to look at alternative perspectives too to gain a greater understanding overall.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    I know you think that people succeed or fail in life largely based on the genetic lottery and that is true to an extent, but don't forget the impact that environmental upbringing can have. Being born into a wealthy family with good parents can have a greater impact on one's success rather than simply their genetics and IQ. Environmental upbringing also has an impact on IQ as well. You have valid points, but don't forget to look at alternative perspectives too to gain a greater understanding overall.
    I've considered environmental as a factor. Specifically does the person act like being a jerk or is that way because they want so much to be liked and admired or because they just want to be in constant communication despite others not really liking them. All that damn Fi considerations
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Most high IQ people that have a tough time with life are being held back by other traits like aspergers or sub-par looks during their highschool years.
    Hum really? I always liked the men who were smart and reliable
    -

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For every high IQ social reject there are about a dozen golden boys studying Law/Business and leaving their mark on the Harvard rowing team who are absolutely killing it at life. The jock in my sig probably has an above-average IQ.
    Can you at least crop or put a spoiler tag on your obnoxiously large sig with a picture of a man with a black eye.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I personally hope that I would never engage in such behaviour, although if widely defined, I have done something similar and have regretted it ever since, because once said, it can seem like a genuinely held opinion about something that in its nature you are stuck with. I certainly would not say something as coldly calculating along the lines of "Boy you must have some kind of a mental deficiency", which would be maliciously cruel - it would be more an outburst like "Why do you have to be so stupidly annoying all the time?".

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Yeah, I've only said something like this when angry and then regretted it because it's petty and unconstructive. There's no reason to say it otherwise, since there would be nothing the person can do about it anyway.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would never tell someone they were mentally deficient. If someone was doing something to harm themselves or others, I would address that, but it would be the behavior more than mental deficiency itself.

This reminds me a story that happened to me recently:

I was working at the library and had the unfortunate instance of assisting a man who seemed perfectly normal to me on the computer. The woman sitting next to him whispered to me that he is mentally ill, I know I’m a licensed psychiatrist.

I told her that it is completely inappropriate to make such judgements like that. First of all the man can probably hear you, send of all, you’re not on psychiatrist duty and what gives the right anyway to make judgements like that to random people without their consent.

What is mentally ill anyway? Sounds very degrading. Sure there are mental illnesses people have that can affect their everyday functioning, but ‘mentally ill’ sounds like some global judgement on the person as a whole- the person is dysfunctional mentally as an individual.

She didn’t get that though, and told me to get out of her face which I then did.

I reported this incident to my coworker and I was hurt by his seeming indifference. He said, there are ‘crazy’ people in the library like that, it’s best to just ignore them and he insisted I calm down.
    I said, it’s not okay for people to behave like that and make remarks. I told him I was very upset by this and wound up. And just being told to calm down and brush it off and let it go was the last thing I needed to hear.

Maybe I shouldn’t have intervened with that woman. Maybe she had issues herself. Intervening probably wouldn’t have changed things anyway. But I just cannot let things like that slide.

My coworker insisted I take a break, which I did and I discussed it with my supervisor and at least she seemed to understand where I was coming from.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, the thing is, as Raver pointed out, people tend to be stupid about specific things. There are cases of people generally not being so bright, but usually people just have a mental blind spot about certain topics. And naturally, being ethical and courageous is more important to me than intelligence anyway. If somebody is always sadistically focused on what somebody does wrong or what they don't do well in- that will just cause unhappy relationship times, obviously. ie, you judge a fish by it's ability to swim not by it's ability to fly. I don't really give a shit how much somebody 'knows', it's more of how they can utilize that knowledge, I'm just not the type of person that gets impressed by intelligence for it's own sake.

Sir that's my emotional support gremlin ApeironStella's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-Ne 5w4 594 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. I had a phase where I was pretty judgemental of people liking "what is popular" and when I was being pestered why I didn't have such "normal" interests, I did call the interest itself stupid but not really said they were stupid/mentally deficient directly to anyone's face. (It was more of knee-jerk reaction to social rejection than anything, though.) I don't think I would ever say such a thing to someone's face since

1-) I am regularly revising my definition of 'stupid' to be more tolerant of others' views

2-) I often react to actions of people, not to whoever they are supposed to be. I find some actions stupid, not just the human being itself.

So, nope.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Maybe I shouldn’t have intervened with that woman. Maybe she had issues herself. Intervening probably wouldn’t have changed things anyway. But I just cannot let things like that slide.

No, I am so glad you said something. What a cunt! (I love to hear more stories about really bitchy women like these, plz tell me. hehe) The more sadistic, brutal and heteronormative the better.

I'm just curious- can u tell me more about what the man is like? Did he have small or large hands? What did he look like. How handsome was he etc. I sorta wanna test suedehead's theories here.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea. If my best friend thought he was an alien on the inside and considered doing surgery to look like a real alien on the outside, then yes, I would advise him to seek out professional opinion before making such a drastic decision.

Last edited by Computer Loser; 04-11-2017 at 09:41 PM.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Extensively define "mentally deficient". Whatever the answer, I'm pretty sure we'll arrive at the core issue real quick that way.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it would help them to hear it, absolutely.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Does "ur fucking retarded" count as diplomatic?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, but they wouldn't understand anyway.

TIM
    INTj-Ti
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't outright tell them they are "mentally deficient." However I wouldn't hesitate to call them out on their "mentally deficient" opinions.
    SP/SX
    5w4

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends really.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I agree with the general sentiment that to tell someone they have "some kind of a mental deficiency" is not a respectable thing to do, and certainly not the behaviour of a Humanist.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I agree with the general sentiment that to tell someone they have "some kind of a mental deficiency" is not a respectable thing to do, and certainly not the behaviour of a Humanist.
    Seriously? As though this veiled insult is any better than a direct one?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Seriously? As though this veiled insult is any better than a direct one?
    I don't believe what I said was insulting, and I have already raised the original issue directly with the individual concerned.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I believe the Socratic method is a highly useful tool for making conclusions and exhausting a debate, particularly when the individual/s on the other side of the argument have not grasped a point by other means of reasoning. If the result means that individual/s no longer consider themselves, their type, their quadra etc. as paradigms of virtue, then I would consider that an effective outcome.

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether you mean insane or mentally challenged or whatever, who is anyone to judge anyone in this way? People aren't a sum collection of their traits, and it disgusts me that this seems to be how most people think. When I was a child and couldn't do much anything myself except scream and hide, I had people try to put me down and push me around based on views they had of my traits, which, to make things worse, were often outright wrong. But no one wanted to view me as a person, just stick as many labels (both good and bad, but mostly just wrong, 'tis a long story) on me as possible. And thus I became a hyper-alienated, rather vigilant, and overall enraged E4.

/rant

Just don't. If people are doing stupid things, tell them. But don't reduce people to traits, and that goes for good traits as well as bad traits like "mentally deficient".

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If they were really mentally deficient I would rather crawl up my own anus than commit such an obvious faux pas. Unless they were convincing other mentally deficient people of their opinions, and then I might get a little bit worried. But I wouldn't call them out because even though they are hard to talk to, they are easy to convince, assuming they're not stubborn.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Nah, it wouldn't change a thing.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, never actively for its own sake.

But I could use it if they were trying to force me to do something I don't want to do. Or if they were actively tring to influence other people in a damaging way.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people in this thread are poor at drawing conclusions and are assuming things.

I second the "what do you consider mentally deficient?" Without terms we have no idea how to answer which is why most of the people in this thread are way off (I'm looking at you Pookie).

I am "mentally deficient" according to some people, but I am not stupid. I simply pay attention to different details than the norm.

Also, there is no description in the op. The poll question on vague and the answers look like jokes not to mention its multiple choice and there is no option for Pookies answer (which is wrong).

As someone else pointed out (correctly) it only matters if they are doing something to harm themselves (debatable) or others. And again we run into the same problem here of a lack of dichotomy in that we don't know if this means they are mentally ill (which not all mentally ill people are a danger to themselves or others) or just stupid. Generally its best not to tell people they are stupid for obvious reasons. If someone was going to hurt someone else then I would contact 911 or something and not just tell them they are mentally deficient (because that would be stupid).

Basically this poll is a joke and I voted other.
    I struggle with motivation, apathy and sticking to goals.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
    Most people in this thread are poor at drawing conclusions and are assuming things.

I second the "what do you consider mentally deficient?" Without terms we have no idea how to answer which is why most of the people in this thread are way off (I'm looking at you Pookie).

I am "mentally deficient" according to some people, but I am not stupid. I simply pay attention to different details than the norm.

Also, there is no description in the op. The poll question on vague and the answers look like jokes not to mention its multiple choice and there is no option for Pookies answer (which is wrong).

As someone else pointed out (correctly) it only matters if they are doing something to harm themselves (debatable) or others. And again we run into the same problem here of a lack of dichotomy in that we don't know if this means they are mentally ill (which not all mentally ill people are a danger to themselves or others) or just stupid. Generally its best not to tell people they are stupid for obvious reasons. If someone was going to hurt someone else then I would contact 911 or something and not just tell them they are mentally deficient (because that would be stupid).

Basically this poll is a joke and I voted other.
    To clear things up for you, SubT started this poll as a passive-aggressive jab at Maritsa because she called him mentally deficient.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To clear things up for you, SubT started this poll as a passive-aggressive jab at Maritsa because she called him mentally deficient.

That explains it, thanks
    I struggle with motivation, apathy and sticking to goals.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I forgive Maritsa for the abuse she directed at me, although of course I cannot speak for the others she has abused.

I believe she genuinely wishes to be seen to be a nice person.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. I don't like to even think badly of anyone, much less insult them. It can be frustrating if someone doesn't understand something basic, especially in the context of that person showing contempt, but I still try to maintain a certain degree of respect.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Stigma is too much of an issue here imo