Thread: The Ignoring Function

TIM
    IXI sx/so
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Ignoring Function

What's generally regarded to be the role of the ignoring function, and what are some drawbacks to having an under-developed one? I imagine it's fairly easy to, um, ignore. It probably also causes an even wider variation between types, seeing as its influence is contrary to that of the base function.
    Probably ILI, or IE I/EIE/EII. PM me if you have ideas about my type! Ennagram 2w3 7w8 1w9.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think ignoring doesn't mean that you ignore it (because its strong and you can use it really well), but more like when other people try to use it at you or in communication with you that you ignore it. YOU can utilize it when it suits you, but ignore it when anyone else tries to use it at you. I don't know if that made sense, but I think calling it the ignoring function is a bit of a misnomer.

TIM
    IXI sx/so
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    I think ignoring doesn't mean that you ignore it (because its strong and you can use it really well), but more like when other people try to use it at you or in communication with you that you ignore it. YOU can utilize it when it suits you, but ignore it when anyone else tries to use it at you. I don't know if that made sense, but I think calling it the ignoring function is a bit of a misnomer.
    No, that makes sense. It's also called the "observing" function, right?
    Probably ILI, or IE I/EIE/EII. PM me if you have ideas about my type! Ennagram 2w3 7w8 1w9.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being around someone who's creative function is your ignoring function, spurs growth. The information that gets picked up through the Ignoring gets transmuted into your base. If you've spent extensive time in that type of environment, you're likely capable of drawing from a databank of knowledge un-typical of people within your own type. Data relating to the ignoring function is easily remembered and stored in a manner that your base can quickly recall.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Being around someone who's creative function is your ignoring function, spurs growth. The information that gets picked up through the Ignoring gets transmuted into your base. If you've spent extensive time in that type of environment, you're likely capable of drawing from a databank of knowledge un-typical of people within your own type. Data relating to the ignoring function is easily remembered and stored in a manner that your base can quickly recall.
    This concurs with my experience. I often hang out with my ILI cousin and he and I often end up "altered" by our experience of each other. In general I find ILIs very knowledgeable and experienced, if a bit gullible when it comes to new ideas and sometimes a little too idealistic.

Interesting theory though... how did you learn this?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ignoring is pretty much the same description as extinguishment. It completely ruins/offsets one's primary mindset, it's like someone putting mustard in your icecream. You don't necessarily ignore it by choice, you do it automatically because it's fire and you're water.

PoLR on the other hand is like the weakest function, more actually ignorant by definition. You don't even realize it's there, hints or impressions about it just sound distastefully foreign ie. "why would I think like this?"

TIM
    Te-ILI; 5w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI: Yeah, I can come up with all sorts of ideas but why would I even bother saying them before I've thought them through
    ILE: Yeah, I can think the ideas through but what's more important are the ideas themselves.

And that's how we annoy each other during longer periods of communication.
    Last edited by Gravolez; 08-14-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't feel like fe comes naturally to me. it might as well be my polr except I don't get the benefit of strong te. well seeing myself on video I guess I'm fairly expressive. maybe its that its basically impossible for me to pull it out on demand. and I find myself resenting it and resisting the expectation, being kind of stonewalling about it in spite of my better judgement and regardless of what I want to do, when I feel it being demanded.

I'm curious about pookies theory too, I've never heard anything like that before. I think id need an example to get it. the whole stored information thing sounds all technical

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, i definitely either read it through articles/links here or through Wikisocion. I'll look it up. It had to do with Quasi-identicals for the Ignoring/Creative portion. The Ignoring function data recall would have been a different article. The sentences in between are just connecting the dots between the two.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    YOU can utilize it when it suits you, but ignore it when anyone else tries to use it at you.
    That, and I think also when soemone requires it from you. For example, I think both Ne-Base and Ni-Base are very creative and inventive, though they are looking at this activity totally differently: Ni requires premeditation, Ne excludes premeditation (if it exists, it's Ni, Fields).

Ne can't sit down and invent, the ideas have to come alone, and Ne-Base types do not assume the role of an inventor because they, when they produce something relating to their Base, they are just struk by inspiration, so you can be that only looking in the past, but cannot take that role. However they ignore the fact that a lot of it happens in their imagination alone. When Ne-Bases types find new ways they consider they "discovered" them.

Ni-Base types, on the contrary, use their imagination constantly to produce new ideas. You can ask them to sit down and invent something, to successfully brainstorm, they can do that and can assume that role. It is something that they do, not something that justs occurs when the time comes, inside or outside their minds. They though disregard the fact that one needs inspiration from outside, something to occur to them, because initially they don't have any direction. When Ni-Types find new ways they consider they "invented" them.

These "invented" and "discovered" are notions we use for the same thing but they are different, and using one we have to ignore the particularities of the other. The same goes for all pairs of Ego/Super-Ego IEs: if the Ego function is a Fields function, that psyche expects the related ideas to be generated by the person, to assume that role; on the contrary, if the Ego is Bodies, it rejects the possibility to generates those related ideas independently of experience, they just have to happen.

Pretty much the same thing happens between Te and Ti, when they look for what is truth and what's not: on one hand Ti-Ego uses an artificially limited of reality [1] to determine it, Te-Ego always observes, because if you limit the real experience you are wrong. The former (Ti) ignores that fact, the latter ignores that experience is continuous and unlimited so extracting rules from it without limiting it is impossible. You cannot draw a "true" conclusion and wait-and-see if the conclusion is right at the same time. An example I thought about recently is the regulations which tell when an aircraft is "safe" to go [2] but which on the other hand impose to consider the bomb alarms and make an emergency landing (that one in Iceland). So a rational conclusion of truth strictly following the experience necessarily involves Fi (a subjective conclusion), one that is necessary and follows a strict logic necessarily involves Fe (a subjective experience); one logic has to dismiss the necessity given by the other to produce its kind of necessity.
    ---

[1] - subjectively-determined "sufficient" data, a subset of experience, generaly meaning what relates to a particular scope or "what we know so far"; involves Fe, BTW.
    [2] - if the possibility for a plane to be in danger is not totally a priori excluded, it is not given green light.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model