TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minister for Health ‘being a proper fucking cunt’, says everybody

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/201...ays-everybody/

Just one example of why curse words are necessary.

More examples cos they're funny. To me anyway.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/201...ays-everybody/

This one doesn't actually have any curses but it made me laugh.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/201...nee-got-there/

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/201...nd-colleagues/
    Last edited by Eye of the Potato; 10-04-2012 at 11:12 AM.

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost never curse, unless I am demonstrating the words, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    9s and 1s care a lot.
    Consistent with my 9w1 status
    What is a utopia? A dream unrealized, but not unrealizable. -- Joseph Dejacque
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Fediverse

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I swore way too much this weekend.

I said "Trader Joe's is located in fuckville" Eeek...not really what I wanted but I was frustrated.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

pppchewww, maritsa that was not even directed at a person get a grip or sth

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a tidbit from the field of psychology:

Therefore, instead of thinking of swearing as uniformly harmful or morally wrong, more meaningful information about swearing can be obtained by asking what communication goals swearing achieves. Swear words can achieve a number of outcomes, as when used positively for joking or storytelling, stress management, fitting in with the crowd, or as a substitute for physical aggression. Recent work by Stephens et al. even shows that swearing is associated with enhanced pain tolerance. This finding suggests swearing has a cathartic effect, which many of us may have personally experienced in frustration or in response to pain. Despite this empirical evidence, the positive consequences of swearing are commonly disregarded in the media. Here is an opportunity for psychological scientists to help inform the media and policymakers by clearly describing the range of outcomes of swearing, including the benefits.
    I remember encountering the above approach, more or less, way way back in a tenth-grade sociology class. Swearing exists for many reasons, and it's not going away because of Auntie Prunella's Sunday-school larnin'. And real and serious harm is perpetrated all around us, usually without any expletives involved.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
    pppchewww, maritsa that was not even directed at a person get a grip or sth
    Leave that to Jadae.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember this thread. My views have stayed the same. I heard of a study that suggested that those that use swear words in the appropriate situations are perceived by others as being more trustworthy. I tend to agree with this. Working were I do, everyone has a potty mouth, with F-bombs being dropped on a regular basis. Actually management made a rule, no swear words in the lunch rooms. I agree with this, swear words can be quite rude. Some of the older guys say years ago no one swore as much as they do know. So, I guess swear words are becoming more common. They are all over public television I have noticed. I guess our culture is becoming more vulgar. I swear, and make a point to do so on this site because the stereotypes are sometimes bullshit.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yes, out of extreme frustration I will. Won't anyone?
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Yes, out of extreme frustration I will. Won't anyone?
    There are people that feel it's better to learn not to use curse words than to use them and indirectly influence other people to overuse/abuse them.

I think it's silly, but hey, it's a reason. I curse when I feel it's appropriate and am continually surprised that some people have decided cursing is ultimately inappropriate; sometimes it's the most appropriate thing for the way I might be feeling towards a situation or what another person is doing or has done. Any less would be suppressing my personality and how I truly feel. It seems like the types most inclined to dislike cursing, in general, are Alpha SF (at least from the one's I've known - 2 SEIs and 1 ESE that will not curse and have decided it is not a good thing to curse for one reason or another).

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sometimes you just have to say it like it is. Like Jarvis Cocker here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahzNnXex5fY

There is something liberating about cursing in certain situation. You just throw all fabricated and arbitrary linguistic conventions out and allow yourself to be angry AND express it.

There were a few times during which I said *shit* or almost said *fucking something or other* (and stopped myself, but students knew what I was going to say) in the classroom and students actually appreciated this because it showed them that I feel strongly about things even through I am usually restrained when discussing them. Passion is good and sometimes it involves being *inappropriate* in a conventional sense. Using coarse language says more about how I feel about things than about me as a person.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swore way too much this weekend.

I said "Trader Joe's is located in fuckville" Eeek...not really what I wanted but I was frustrated.
    You meant this fuckville, right?
    I am not covered in thorns
    nor am I covered in mold

https://soundcloud.com/#latitudes-official/latitudes-antechamber

TIM
    EII, INFj
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really mind cussing. I do it regularly amongst people I'm comfortable with. Although, I only use it as a phrase, never with actual malice behind it. People around me seem genuinely surprised when I do so as well, which I find amusing. They tell me that when I cuss it seems like it's creating a harmony (in music). It's not as strong as others'.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Personally, I don't care about swearing. I guess I don't really understand the philosophy behind finding it distasteful or offensive in most situations. It seems like being offended simply for the sake of being offended. Or like needing to swallow your words and feelings because repression is safe.

TIM
    Eii
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrote the word 'fuck' on a bad test grade once. My sister found it, told my mom, and my mom chewed me out while my sisters sat there laughing. So I feel physically held back from cursing aloud but I still do it in my head. My friend had to keep getting reassurance that I didnt care that she cursed, she was afraid it would offened me because of my religious upbringing. (One of her other friends with a similar background often gave her dirty looks for it.)
    But I honestly dont care, unless youre cursing just to curse. Ya know like those kids who learn there first curse word and dont know where to use it, so they use it EVERYWHERE. Yah, its unnecessary.

TIM
    Eii
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burn View Post
    Yep, some parents don't even care how their child speaks.

When that child gets into the professional world they are at a huge disadvantage.

We can't be grateful enough for our upbringing.
    Mmhm

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sort of inner emotional correlation for me: swearing = distress, bad, very unhappy, etc.

Thus, I dislike cursing and will only find myself doing so when particularly agitated. Sometimes I find myself avoiding people who profusely or unnecessarily (in my inner emotional estimation) use crude or foul language. It bothers me less when people swear out of similar motivations that I might (sincere distress). But it still never feels good to me.

That said, on an intellectual level I can understand, respect, and even appreciate alternate uses of foul language. I accept that not everyone has to have the same ways of relating to the world that I do. I usually don't try to prevent others from swearing unless it could possibly be damaging, like when around little kids or people that might get offended who I'd really like not to be alienated (e.g. my grandparents). I have lots of friends who swear regularly, some more than others, and I sincerely like them.

Even though I don't ask people to stop swearing around me, I've observed friends seem to start self-censoring anyway after awhile.

What I really don't like is being cussed at, having those types of terms directed at me. That's when it crosses lines and damages my relationship with someone. You'll get put in the relational cold zone if you do that to me.

I have a friend who figured that out about me. I think he's ISFj. We get along great on most levels, but one time he got annoyed with me and used that tactic to "punish" me. He even indicated as much that he knew exactly what he was doing. That made it even worse...
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

netflix and don't touch me Emmym's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I swear a shit-ton. I don't even notice it. I refrain from doing it in a formal setting or where it's not appropriate, though. Friends, yes. People I'm dating, yes. Family and relatives of people I'm dating, no. My immediate family, yes. Extended family, no. Classmates, yes. Teachers, no. Co-workers, yes. Bosses, no. I learn how to swap words and phrases, but I don't do it in deference to someone's delicate sensibilities. I do it because I prefer to adhere to what's expected in a given situation. If a friend told me never to swear around them, I'd probably choose to stop being their friend, because that just seems like such a weird power thing to me. The only time I'll make concessions is when someone else is doing the same for me or if someone has been traumatized and I'm trying not to trigger them.
    someday the grapes will be wine
    and someday you will be mine

EII-Ne 2w3 - 9w1 - 7w8 so/sx

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

@Emmym I love the work Shit
    *someone left that Shit. Someone pick up that Shit. Oh shoot. Shit! I forgot.
    -

netflix and don't touch me Emmym's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Emmym I love the work Shit
    *someone left that Shit. Someone pick up that Shit. Oh shoot. Shit! I forgot.
    FUCK THIS FUCK YOU FUCK THIS SHIT ahahahaha
    someday the grapes will be wine
    and someday you will be mine

EII-Ne 2w3 - 9w1 - 7w8 so/sx

TIM
    SLI-Si(H)5w6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    There are no bad words, just bad reasons for getting offended by them.

As we reach for the stars, we must put away childish things; gods, spirits and other phantasms of the brain. Reality is cruel and unforgiving, yet we must steel ourselves and secure the survival of our race through the unflinching pursuit of science and technology.
    - Stellaris

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for fuck sake all the mother fucking time...

Not really... I just check out the situation and see whether others swear or not. When I see it might seem offending to other people, of course I do not swear, but with my classmates or other young people my age it is more common to swear and to swear a lot. I personally have no problem with swear words...just words..what ever... I value a bit of a social anarchy.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I curse like a sailor, but I also happen to work with a bunch of redneck dudes lol. Not cursing ever, or being overly concerned with such is more like low D ethics, that can't properly adapt to the particular ethical situations that may call for it. If you go into a sports bar and don't curse, or worse and say something like "dag nabbit!" or "gosh darn it!" then you're probably not going to find yourself with friends there lol

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, there's a difference between cursing, cursing at someone, and being cursed at.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm amused by and take part in attempts to swear creatively, although perhaps not for sustained periods. I find prolonged usages of swearing, especially if it is brash and vulgar, in humour, to be too intense and "loud".

I go to great lengths to not swear at a person, especially those I do not know well. I rarely swear amongst people outside my own age group, although a word such as "shit" may be acceptable if used informally (but never with distant relatives!). I may use cruder words such as variations of "fuck" amongst people my own age that I do not know very well if it is in a humourous manner. Online, my attitude may be less cautious, although I will perhaps intend to make it fairly clear I am actually joking.

However, using intense swear words at people I do not know very well is completely out of the question. For me, that would feel like punching someone in the face...and I would expect to get punched back (even if I did not think that such an action was justified). I would not even do it online (and I hope that I have stuck to this position). That would represent a total loss of composure that I think would go beyond what would happen in face-to-face interaction. When I make a post, I try to restrict myself to constructive irritation or at least a dispassioned statement with the intent that my position is known. Words have a strong sense of permanence when written down, and are more easy to misconstrue than when spoken (where you have the tone of voice, the demeanour of the speaker etc.) if they are not well-expressed.

In a chatbox, I imagine my form of expression may be more intense, but only slightly. I certainly do not imagine that I would be likely to tell someone to "fuck off"/"FUCK OFF". I hope I would limit myself to a better choice of words.

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

h*ck

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

ok cut the bullshit.

CULTURAL UPBRINGING

goodbye

ok maybe they don't want to be simplistic and brute, like they are interested in explaining their thoughts more carefully so that they aren't misunderstood. They might carry more weight and value with what they say so using short simple swear words could either be just what they need if they aren't patient or interested enough to explain what they are feeling, but otherwise might avoid them.

TIM
    EII 4w3 Sx/sp
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swear a lot. Sometimes I forget and swear in front of my parents Anyway, this notion that INFjs are little Miss goody two shoes is pathetic. We do things to offend people (if provoked), we have unprotected sex, we curse, we get shitfaced and make out with random people, we hate on other people, etc. My point is, INFjs are not exempt to such things just because they're INFj.

C-EII-INFj 4w3 Sx/sp 479

TIM
    IXXp 639 sp/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I curse a lot among friends, but otherwise, very rarely or not at all. That said, other people cursing does not offend me; I can find it amusing more often than not.

TIM
    IXXp 639 sp/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaebette View Post
    I swear a lot. Sometimes I forget and swear in front of my parents Anyway, this notion that INFjs are little Miss goody two shoes is pathetic. We do things to offend people (if provoked), we have unprotected sex, we curse, we get shitfaced and make out with random people, we hate on other people, etc. My point is, INFjs are not exempt to such things just because they're INFj.
    Alright...that's some real shit now, I might just be EII after all despite not being the angel in the description lol

TIM
    IXXp 639 sp/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaein View Post
    I wrote the word 'fuck' on a bad test grade once. My sister found it, told my mom, and my mom chewed me out while my sisters sat there laughing. So I feel physically held back from cursing aloud but I still do it in my head. My friend had to keep getting reassurance that I didnt care that she cursed, she was afraid it would offened me because of my religious upbringing. (One of her other friends with a similar background often gave her dirty looks for it.)
    But I honestly dont care, unless youre cursing just to curse. Ya know like those kids who learn there first curse word and dont know where to use it, so they use it EVERYWHERE. Yah, its unnecessary.
    Thoroughly dishonorable on your sister's part...as an armchair activist; I will defend your freedom of motherfucking speech

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dislike cursing and swearing and avoid it as much as possible. I've used some words when I'm in private, and thinking out loud, but that's the most I use them. I do use words to replace curses/swears/strong language. I don't discourage other people from swearing. It's more a principle that I follow. I actually don't really get that offended by other people swearing, unless it's used directly at me, or someone who I care about. Or if someone drops a swear word in every other sentence.

Constantly cursing makes people look trashy and uneducated, and I don't want to be that person. It makes me think of Frank from the movie "Blue Velvet." He's controlling, involved in the criminal underworld, and abuses women. But the icing on the cake that shows how horrible he is is how he overuses the F word in every sentence. It's a minor detail, but it's there for a reason, and it applies to real people for me too.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Froody Blue Gem View Post
    I dislike cursing and swearing and avoid it as much as possible. I've used some words when I'm in private, and thinking out loud, but that's the most I use them. I do use words to replace curses/swears/strong language. I don't discourage other people from swearing. It's more a principle that I follow. I actually don't really get that offended by other people swearing, unless it's used directly at me, or someone who I care about. Or if someone drops a swear word in every other sentence.

Constantly cursing makes people look trashy and uneducated, and I don't want to be that person. It makes me think of Frank from the movie "Blue Velvet." He's controlling, involved in the criminal underworld, and abuses women. But the icing on the cake that shows how horrible he is is how he overuses the F word in every sentence. It's a minor detail, but it's there for a reason, and it applies to real people for me too.
    Well shit, fuck me in the ass, I curse all the fucking time but no one gives a shit.

TIM
    SLE-C; E864 SX-SO
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Froody Blue Gem View Post

I curse like a Pirate with kidney stones and so it makes me feel nice and smug to read this and know that swearing has been correlated with greater honesty, emotional authenticity and is often a sign of strong verbal fluency, a marker of high intelligence. I don't feel comfortable cyber stomping EIIs and so I'll kindly leave you to infer the rest.

Banned
    TIM
    EII-Ne 6w5 SP/SX 629
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rarely curse , but when there is something wrong
    I will say " Fuck " , " Shit " , " Holyshit " , " Damn "

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345