Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would each type look like when depressed?

Default What would each type look like when depressed?

And what function would someone in emotional stress resort to? Dual seeking?

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

super ego ( + id)

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't think depression would necessarily change your external attitude or how you look. Sometimes ppl is depressed and others don't even notice it.

Stress or anxiety, Role function.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Some types specifics can exist.

In despressive and tired states are more than common supressed weak and nonvalued functions. As people more rely on assured and liked regions, while other go to economy. Such is for the consciousness.
    The most noticable mb role function reduction - as weakest nonvalued.

Mb pointed, that superego activity supresses a psyche, predisposes to depressive symptoms. Communicate with conflictors/superego IRL and then you feel yourself unusually tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I don't think depression would necessarily change your external attitude or how you look.
    Emotional states are expressed in the nonverbal. Among general depressive symptoms are higher irritability, worse emotions, lesser energy impression, lesser selfassurance, higher anxiety, etc. - all that can be felt and noticed, including unconsciously.
    Someones may better control what emotions they show and surfacely have, but they are doubtful to do this absolutely and for long. And someones better understand emotional states of others (and of themselves) to be lesser fooled.
    TS types are worse than average in emotions understanding.
    Last edited by Sol; 06-25-2020 at 07:44 PM.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

They hit the bottle. Booze is a factor all types and quadras can agree on if the right circumstances or questions are posed. How/why/which drink/etc. is a matter of potentially considerable debate. I'll need some time to compile my own table but hey, if anyone here has a list/table of what they think are favorite drinks according to types/quadras than let's hear it. After all, if you're going to go "dual seeking" at a bar the least we can do is give you a relevant data set.

Knowing what "type" or "quadra" tends to drink would help ya narrow it down in broad strokes. That's just about all we can hope for thankfully.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by SGF; 06-26-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Excessive focus in ignoring.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id drink if I could, red wine. Lots of it. But I haven’t drank any alcohol for 2 years this October despite having serious depression problems. Instead I’ve been binge eating and counterbalancing by extreme dieting and exercising. My weight has been going up and down in the last year more extremely than it ever has.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    Id drink if I could, red wine. Lots of it. But I haven’t drank any alcohol for 2 years this October despite having serious depression problems. Instead I’ve been binge eating and counterbalancing by extreme dieting and exercising. My weight has been going up and down in the last year more extremely than it ever has.
    October will mark a year for me. Needless to say, escaping by that route was my crutch for a long time. I also struggle with my diet and weight fluctuations in a very similar manner, eating too much/too unhealthily and then making myself go back down in weight by not eating much. Too lazy for exercise lol, though I’ve had my moments. Bicycle has always been best for me as it’s kind of fun. Need a new one.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I go into non existent mode when I’m depressed. I withdrew from everyone and everything. No one will do much as hear a beep out of me!
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yeah. I guess I have a tendency to sleep more. Sleep more, eat more

My mind tells me I'm not eating enough when I'm eating too much, I'm eating too much when I'm not eating enough, I need to work out more even though I just did, I need to get my body checked for strange illnesses, I need to eschew everything and live simply.. which in turn just makes me bored and sad, so I go and try something new... which disappoints me. I overthink everything, analyze everything I'm doing to make sure it's working to my benefit. And then at the end of the day, accept failure to change much at all.

edit: and also recklessness and spontaneity and general anti-social qualities- like getting into verbal fights for no reason.

I could go on

I've moved beyond self sabotage and self defeating actions though
    Last edited by Chiquichiquaquiles; 06-28-2020 at 03:58 AM.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was at the peak of my (diagnosed) depression and anxiety in high school, I took an online MBTI test and scored INFJ lol. I think that’s the only time I’ve ever gotten INFJ on a test in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by COVID 007 View Post
    Excessive focus in ignoring.
    This also happened to me too. I had disordered eating that I went to therapy for.

There’s my specific, real-life example data point for you with diagnosed depression.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have never had an urge to drink. I just go into this autistic self stimulation mode of dark thought with no will power to do stuff. I see Ni as some sort of black hole.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just go into this autistic self stimulation mode of dark thought with no will power to do stuff. I see Ni as some sort of black hole.
    What was the source of the depression for you, COVID?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With depression, Ips and Ejs seem to get more observant and defensive but it may not be as noticeable with some Ips who are already defensive by nature; Eps and Ijs seem to become more thoughtful and withdraw into themselves but with some Ijs, they just go deeper so you may not notice so much of a change. Stress is a completely different can of worms and the behaviour tends to appear dual-like in limited ways.

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't drink when depressed because... it doesn't help. Alcohol's a depressant. I sleep

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never had an urge to drink. I just go into this autistic self stimulation mode of dark thought with no will power to do stuff. I see Ni as some sort of black hole.
    Can you explain it?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Can you explain it?
    In a world of Ni, all possibilities come to a conclusion. To an Ne-valuer, it is a world past hope, past cure, past help.*

*Got a little Shakespeare in there to elevate this place.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Got a little Shakespeare in there to elevate this place.
    Was that because I removed the Shakespeare quote from my signature?

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when depression hits everyone is IEI

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

lol this can be very subtle/nuanced with me, since I'm so introverted naturally but I guess it's kinda like, being a Daria without her Jane or something. I push people away even more and just bring the energy down even more.

I don't think people should always run away from sadness tho, u can surrender to it too quickly before it can mature u into being a better person or something. But yeah I think it's too dour if you do this too much and then also lose your zest for life or completely lose your sense of humor. Most of society seems to be content with making you a depressed/emotionless workaholic robot and a sadistically hateful and cynical person tho, so I think it's wise to fight back against that stuff.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Can you explain it?
    Personally
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Rebelondeck said, I withdraw and become thoughtful, but it's a bad and faulty introspection that turns into me just regurgitating everything I dislike about myself over and over until either I snap out of it or some external event does. It's like I get trapped in some existential goo and it's hard to move or do anything because of the horrible lethargy.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading this thread, I asked someone close to me and they said that it’s noticeable because I very visibly slow down. I walk slower, move slower, and even talk slower. And evidently look like I’m ‘about to cry’...lol

But I got to thinking...do I drink when I’m depressed...why have I drank in the past...honestly I think it’s to bring me down...I’m a stress drinker
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    IEE 8w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyBibimbap View Post
    For me it's definitely Fi, usually my emotional stress is correlated with Fi so it makes sense I'd start searching to to improve it.

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ne and Ti for me.

When I am depressed, I procrastinate a lot more then usual. I can be more emotionally reactive and ruminate a lot. The world seems scary and It can be a struggle to leave the house. I feel like grabbing at different options that will make me feel better or possibilities. It's like a double edge sword, I am thinking of negative possibilities that could go wrong or I am grabbing at any possibility that could make me feel better or safe. I just get overly critical of myself and it's hard to leave this space.

I feel better when I am cleaning or going for a walk. It gives my brain something else to focus on and it gives me a routine I need. I feel accomplished, a little bit better, and useful. I also really need to talk to people and have connection in some way, I find that healing. Same thing works when someone shows me the bright side of things and I can get out of my dark hole. I need to see the good possibilities because I already struggle with this a bit when healthy and extremely so when unhealthy. I just need to see some colour and that it is going somewhere positive.

TIM
    no clue
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really have a clue about what my type is. Even though my username says @eiemo, I have no idea.

I become more introspective about my identity and I daydream a lot more. I stop making logical sense and I become more emotional and withdrawn. My energy levels either drastically increase (due to anxiety) or decrease (due to depression). I tend to ruminate.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I personally show some blunted affect, a bit slowness in speech and thought, sad demeanor, and some emotional vulnerability and catastrophization (seeing the worse in the world or in potential outcomes), feelings of worthlessness sometimes or lower self esteem

depression has specific symptoms anyway that may overlap for anyone who is depressed despite type

but I guess...for EII they may *appear* at least more Fi subtype because of what I mentioned above. The vitality or animation may be reduced or even gone prob for both sub.

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyBibimbap View Post
    For me, my Id block goes pretty wild. To allay it, I try to appease my Hidden Agenda function. Activity in my suggestive is basically nonexistent when I get depressed - can't do a single thing productive. Likely need suggestive support the most at that point.

TIM
    no clue
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I am depressed, I just withdraw, cry, worry, and excessively daydream.

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to put a lot of emphasis on Ni and Se when chronically enturbulated.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When depressed, I pretty much shutdown and live in my head. That and I alternate towards aggression and general bitchiness coupled with nonchalance.

When I am not depressed, I am more grounded, in the moment, and working on improving skills or acquiring knowledge on whatever I am interested in at the time and don't really bother thinking too much or too deeply, enjoying my cats, music, playing music, or getting out of the house for some different impressions based on the location and its atmosphere.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    Severe anxiety (combined with depression?) makes me giddy, detached and sort of in a trance. Lack of sleep increases the daytime somnambulant effect.

I float through those off-days and experience everything as thoughts/analysis before sensations. The lower half of my body is numb and the thought of leaving my home (opening the door) can overwhelm me with fear and I'm not sure why. Frozen to the spot.

Food has no taste or bearing on my energy/capacity to do work. Some conversations seem like a memorised script, which I feel guilty about shortly after.

At its worst I don't have the stamina to be reliably social and pleasant so I just opt out or wall myself off.
    A bit similar for me. Except the leaving home thing, I don't have a problem with that. I feel like I am reacting to the world like a computer. What people notice is a distinct lack of emotional response bordering on being "weird".

By the way, sometimes this happens for no real reason, for example, it happened to me at least 3-4 times after hard cycling races in the heat in August, I felt like that for 3-4 days, there was no change in external circumstances. I knew that rationally, but I still felt empty and kind of depressed. Might be a result of a chemical imbalance.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    A bit similar for me. Except the leaving home thing, I don't have a problem with that. I feel like I am reacting to the world like a computer. What people notice is a distinct lack of emotional response bordering on being "weird".

By the way, sometimes this happens for no real reason, for example, it happened to me at least 3-4 times after hard cycling races in the heat in August, I felt like that for 3-4 days, there was no change in external circumstances. I knew that rationally, but I still felt empty and kind of depressed. Might be a result of a chemical imbalance.
    Have you noticed that certain changes in your environment can help pull you out of the computer-like state?

In response to what you said about there being no real reason for it - I'm not convinced of that, for myself. When my body remains tensed (which in my case is not a result of sports, but being in an anxiety-gripped state coupled with lack of rest) I will eventually exhaust myself.

The part of my brain that could access outside the box thinking/creative expression simply stalls, and the script is all that is available to me. It is like an involuntary self-protection mode. It follows that when I begin to judge myself for being this way (faulty), that will soon feed into depressive thoughts - pointlessness.

What sometimes works for me is to acknowledge when I need a break before I push myself to the point of walling myself off, protecting myself from others.
    Assuring myself that I'm not "letting myself go" by not achieving as much as I could under more favourable conditions.

You said that external circumstances did not change in the 3-4 days following your race.
    I don't know the full story, which is why I'm tempted to ask - did you continue your week as if it were a regular one; as per usual, placing the same demands on yourself.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't know how I look when I'm depressed, but I know how I feel. I've been dealing with bouts of deep depression for the past ten or fifteen years.

I tend to not want to do anything, not even things that I used to like to do.
    I can't motivate myself to work. Any work that does get done is done grudgingly and at the last moment and under extreme duress. The only way I can actually focus on anything is by drinking coffee. Like, ten cups per day.
    I have no purpose in life and I don't care if I live or die.

I think that a big part of this depression is caused by the fact that I'm Sx-first and I don't have anyone in my life whom I care enough about to be willing to work for them. Not even myself. I mean, I have people I work for (that's what happens when you own a company - you end up working for them), but I don't have anyone that I really, really care for. My ex-wife is long gone (which is good) and so is my son and the rest of my family is either dead or is living many hours away.

The reason I'm writing about this is because something in my life has changed recently. I'm platonically dating an ESI-Fi a few times a month and while she doesn't want a relationship, there's a lot of mutual understanding, and for the past few days I've been spending eight hours a day with an ESI-Se interior decorator who is rearranging my house. This arrangement is kind of ideal from the standpoint of Socionics Duality theory. If you are LIE-Te, you need to have an ESI-Fi partner for life travels, and have an ESI-Se with whom you can work. Both of these women, I realize, are relieving me of burdens that have been distracting me from my purpose in life.

You know how, when you're doing random drugs and you find one that just seems to be terrific and is the answer to all your needs? Well, that's how I feel about my present situation. I have a renewed confidence and interest in life and I'm getting things done effortlessly. I even stopped drinking coffee and I don't miss it. It will be interesting to see if this lasts, because there are a couple clear problems. One woman doesn't want a relationship, and the other is being paid a pretty high rate which is probably not sustainable. But this situation definitely points me in the right direction. I'm certainly not depressed right now. Instead, I feel good about my life and my future.

I don't want to give this up.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 06-01-2021 at 12:49 PM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    Have you noticed that certain changes in your environment can help pull you out of the computer-like state?
    Probably more social life, and also bouts of change in weather, and 2-3 nights of really good sleep.

In response to what you said about there being no real reason for it - I'm not convinced of that, for myself. When my body remains tensed (which in my case is not a result of sports, but being in an anxiety-gripped state coupled with lack of rest) I will eventually exhaust myself.
    No, wait, I agree with you, I become like that when anxious / depressed, but "weirdly" it also happened to me after very tough races in hard conditions. That's why I was linking it to chemical imbalances.

You said that external circumstances did not change in the 3-4 days following your race.

I don't know the full story, which is why I'm tempted to ask - did you continue your week as if it were a regular one; as per usual, placing the same demands on yourself.
    Yeah, I did. You're saying I was too tired and should have taken a break? Probably that's a good point.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to never have depression per se. But periods where I sleep, and periods where I'm active.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

Believe me, coping with depression is a solvable task. Trusting communication with friends, close acquaintances and family members can save a person who is depressed. Despite the discomfort and negative feelings that contact with people can cause at first, it is the environment that helps a person to deal with the manifestations of a depressive state. It is not necessary to discuss the problem – such conversations will not ease your condition, but only aggravate the situation. Talk about abstract topics – discuss hobbies, discuss movies and books you've watched, talk about things that interest you. If it's really hard for you, find help from https://fherehab.com/depression/treatment .
    Last edited by linnoiemclaren; 04-28-2022 at 08:25 AM.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is that a person will cycle through each of their valued functions to make themselves feel better. With depression, a person is usually not happy and, perhaps, would like to be happy. What better way to achieve psychological happiness than to cycle through your valued functions.

For example, an LSI might use Ti to understand. If still not happy, they engage Se. If Se doesn't make 'em happy, then it is Ni. If Ni isn't cool, then it's Fe. Once Fe doesn't do the trick they cycle to Ti.

People use unvalued functions but I don't believe they'd use them if they are truly in a depressed mental state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast