Thread: The Wire tv series

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Wire tv series

anyone see this, have thoughts? i am through the third season.
    asd

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been discussing the types of characters with my roommate. I've only seen the first season.

McNulty: logical. my roommate thinks ILE. Maybe LIE?
    Rawls: SLE, duh
    Daniels: LSI, maybe LII
    Greggs: LSE
    Freamon: some type
    Avon Barksdale: SEE?
    Stringer Bell: ILI
    Bubs: SEI
    D'Angelo: not sure.
    Omar: ESI

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avon Barksdale: LSI i think. Definitely an Se type, but also generally fairly reserved, and calm, paranoid, but i think that comes with the territory.

Stringer Bell: LIE, EIE, LSE. Definitely an extrovert. Totally the brains of the operation, and the public face of Barksdale's money. He's very charming and interesting and classy despite being a gangster deep down. I don't think ILI at all.

Lester Freamon: Not Ne. Exudes a certain knowing cool. Not outlandish with bright new ideas, also finds people helps 'guide' them in this infinite wisdom sort of way, SLI/SEI/IEI, god, very much an IP type, seems to take on a parental role for a lot of the younger cops.

Bubs: SEI, yeah, good call.

Omar: EIE. without a fucking doubt. Loves to leave his mark, to have a special way of doing things that stands out, also obsessed by his personal sense of justice. ESI? Not a chance.

Greggs: totally LSE. good call.

rawls: yeah SLE, or SEE, totally. Loves to berate others, and LOVES brow-beating people, typical of people with out of control Se.

Daniels!!! total fucking LII, poss. even LSI. He rules. Calm, deeply interrogative, piercing sense of justice in the face of politics. You don't see much Se from him really, he seems very Ti-dominant. He lacks a very aggressive character, but solves this by being completely righteous and not betraying his principles(which is a central conflict with his character).

McNulty: ILE might not be a bad guess!
    Last edited by olduser; 04-20-2010 at 05:38 PM.
    asd

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched the whole show like two years ago, so I don't remember a lot of the names.

I think McNulty is probably ILE. On a side note, the actor who played him is British and another fine example of a British actor doing a flawless American accent.

Avon is EIE I think....

Stringer Bell is probably LSE

Marlo is LSI

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched a couple episodes, but I was high as fuck and with a bunch of Te/Fi people, so I was on edge.

Also, the show seemed Gamma.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    Avon Barksdale: LSI i think. Definitely an Se type, but also generally fairly reserved, and calm, paranoid, but i think that comes with the territory.
    Yes, definitely ego. Other than that I don't really have a strong opinion.

Stringer Bell: LIE, EIE, LSE. Definitely an extrovert. Totally the brains of the operation, and the public face of Barksdale's money. He's very charming and interesting and classy despite being a gangster deep down. I don't think ILI at all.
    ok, I would also consider LIE. Basically I see him as a very cautious and thoughtful person who complements Barksdale's impatience. Also, his role in money management and interest in economics should say something for . How is being "classy" or "interesting" relevant?

Lester Freamon: Not Ne. Exudes a certain knowing cool. Not outlandish with bright new ideas, also finds people helps 'guide' them in this infinite wisdom sort of way, SLI/SEI/IEI, god, very much an IP type, seems to take on a parental role for a lot of the younger cops.
    I'm not sure what that has to do with being "IP". The way I see it, he uses his experience to find clever ways of dealing with situations. Like he was the first to realize that they could lie about someone monitoring the wire.

Omar: EIE. without a fucking doubt. Loves to leave his mark, to have a special way of doing things that stands out, also obsessed by his personal sense of justice. ESI? Not a chance.
    ok, "personal sense of justice" sounds a lot more like ESI than EIE. He also has very high ethical standards in general, loyalty to his boyfriend/friends, etc.

rawls: yeah SLE, or SEE, totally. Loves to berate others, and LOVES brow-beating people, typical of people with out of control Se.
    Yeah, he's a "bad" kind of leading type.

Daniels!!! total fucking LII, poss. even LSI. He rules. Calm, deeply interrogative, piercing sense of justice in the face of politics. You don't see much Se from him really, he seems very Ti-dominant. He lacks a very aggressive character, but solves this by being completely righteous and not betraying his principles(which is a central conflict with his character).
    Yeah, the main reason I would say LSI is because of how he's supposed to be very focused on career advancement. He's a pretty 1-dimensional character in general.

Why does ILE make sense for McNulty? Of course there is the fact that he's a total jerk, lol.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really believe in typing fictional characters but since this is one of my top five favourite series evah, I'll make a semi-lighthearted guess at some types. Done quickly and out of memory.

Jimmy McNulty Homicide Detective ENTp
    Chris Partlow Drug organization chief enforcer ISFj
    Frank Sobotka Union secretary-treasurer ESFj
    Spiros "Vondas" Vondopoulos Organized Crime Underboss ESFp
    Norman Wilson Mayoral Deputy Chief of Staff ISTp
    Dennis "Cutty" Wise Youth boxing instructor ISTj
    Duquan "Dukie" Weems Corner boy ESTj
    William Rawls Police Commissioner ESTp
    Idris Elba Russell "Stringer" Bell Drug Kingpin ESTj
    Ervin Burrell Police Commissioner ESFp
    Tommy Carcetti Mayor of Baltimore ESFj
    Ellis Carver Western District Sergeant in Charge INFj
    D'Angelo Barksdale Drug organization crew chief INTj
    Avon Barksdale Drug Kingpin ISFj
    Marlo Stanfield Drug Kingpin ESTp
    Michael Steintorf Mayoral Chief of Staff ENFj
    Augustus Haynes City Desk Editor of The Baltimore Sun ENFp
    Maurice Levy Defense attorney ENTp
    Thomas "Herc" Hauk Defense investigator ENTj
    Rhonda Pearlman Assistant State's Attorney in charge of Violent Crimes ESFp
    Scott Templeton General Assignments Reporter atThe Baltimore Sun Metro Desk ISFp
    Felicia "Snoop" Pearson Drug organization enforcer ESTp
    Lester Freamon Major Case Unit Detective ISFp (of this one I feel very strongly)
    Bunk Moreland Homicide Detective INFp
    Cedric Daniels Deputy Commissioner for Operations INTj
    Bubbles Soup kitchen volunteer and newspaper vendor INFp
    Beatrice "Beadie" Russell Port Police Officer INFj
    Kima Greggs Homicide Detective ENFp
    Roland "Prez" Pryzbylewski Teacher ENTp
    Clarence Royce Former Mayor of Baltimore ENFj
    Clay Davis Maryland State Senator ENTj
    Michael Lee Drug organization enforcer and crew chief INTp
    Preston "Bodie" Broadus Drug organization crew chief ISTj
    Omar Little Stick-up man ESFj
    Howard "Bunny" Colvin Retired INFj

That's not a very good list, but it was a pleasant diversion writing it. I might rewrite at some point. Nevertheless, everyone, watch it!

EDIT:

also:

Ziggy Sobotka ENTp
    Randy Wagstaff ENTj
    Donut ISTp
    Stan Valchek ISTj
    Proposition Joe ISFp
    The Greek INTp
    Brother Mouzon ESTj
    Cheese ENTp
    Nick Sobotka ESFp
    Nerese Campbell ENFj
    Namond Brice ENTp
    Jay Landsman ENTj
    Horseface ESTp
    Sergei Malatov ISFj
    Tony Gray INFp
    Last edited by Smilingeyes; 04-21-2010 at 08:07 PM.
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mcnulty - ENTx seems appropriate. I can see the argument for both Fi-Polr and Te-Dominant with the way he makes enemies by nature.
    Daniels - LII
    Stringer - LIE
    Avon - SLE
    DeAngelo - Gamma
    Kima - Delta
    Freamon - ILI
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    SLE Sx/So
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite show ever. I'm going to take an educated guess on types since I've seen this show at least 3 times. Major spoilers below .

Mcnulty: First thing that comes to mind is Fi-polr. Next is he ENTp or ESTp? The lead can be either since he's a fictional character, but I personally see Si seeking far more than Ni seeking. His Ni doesn't seem weak. He seems to always know he's heading downhill and just can't or won't stop himself in the name of his ego, also seems in line with unhealthy ENTp Narcissism. Like Landsman said, he's an addict, addicted to himself. Very unhealthy and selfish ENTp. He's most clam when he's with Beadie (ISFp), she gives him the stability and comfort he desperately needs to help him calm the fuck down lol.

Rawls: Like everyone else said, ESTp, this one's easy. Se sub prob. Very loud, boisterous, daring and vindictive. Able to put aside personal preference of policing in sake of numbers for his career advancement. Motivates others through force, manipulation even charm and negotiation at times. Overall a charismatic guy with a lot of confidence and power. When stressed or unhealthy berates others due to build up of negativity and tension, releasing all that Se. Daring because he wasn't afraid to do things behind Burrell's back even after getting caught trying to backstab him. Ti creative seems to fit very well. Strong Se and Ti

Omar: Probably the most difficult to type, being he's also the most fictional in the show. I would guess some sort of Gamma SF. He's supposed to represent the spirit of the show and is an underdog who rose to the top. Sounds like some sort of SF hero. He can be very planned and cautious, methodical. Wreckless when angry. I think due to his discipline and patience + planning ISFj, not sure on sub. He's very fiery about his personal values and interpretation of the game. "A man must have a code" can that be anything other than Fi? The stick up artist lifestyle points to wreckless living though, but he goes about this wreckless life style in a cautious methodical way. This is tough. I'll leave it at Gamma SF.

Avon: Estp se sub. Has a structured organization which is against the law with him at the top. Sits at the top mostly motivating Stringer and sometimes the muscle (but usually leaves that to Stringer as well) to accomplish the appropriate tasks for the organization. Trusts Stringer's Te skills to get it done without worrying about how or what, just tells him what and knows Stringer will do the right thing. Their relation would lead me to believe Avon can be ESFp, but he seems to have a certain love for the structure of the gang life. Choosing to only associate with muscle and stringer due to the hierarchy. It's not a personal bond as he has no issue letting Stringer do his own thing in Season 3 with the business end of things. Also how easily he replaces the old muscle who are all dead or in jail with Slim Charles (a new member) and hangs around him and connects with him just like Wee-bey, stink etc based on his position in the hierarchy. I'm going towards a very developed ESTp. His sister seems to provide him the Ni somewhat that he needs. She's probably some kind of ENFj. Growing up with an ENFj sister he's very close to probably helped him develop his Ni and Fe throughout his life.

Stringer Bell: Idras Elba is such a great actor. This show is full of them, but Stringer was such an interesting character to me, the acting was just amazing. ExTj 100%. Going wiht ENTj > ESTj but open to arguements. There's no way he can be anything else. He has a cold ruthless Te. Nothing personal, no volition, just the right business decision with no emotional attachment or regard. He could really do with some Fi. His Te seems more Gamma than Delta, but it's hard for me to judge. He seems to have gotten killed due to his lack of foresight. He's very cautious and paranoid. Seems to point more to LSE as well. He's a stereotypical CEO but in the projects, which is what makes him so interesting. Seeing how the same values and business logic translate to a different world, a colder and more ruthless one. I still can't tell though, he just seems stereotypical ENTj to me almost but functionality wise ESTj might fit more. Ni works as he was a long term strategist and made moves to keep them safe for the long term, even without Avon's knowing like getting his nephew killed, just in case. He did however misjudge Avon having to find out, there was no sort of plan. He just brought it up to him when Avon hurt his feelings about his street rap when he was saying Stringer isn't hard.

Kima: Delta St, another easy one. ESTj-si imo. Very quiet and observant. Loyal to the chain of command cause. Fi > Fe values as well. Low Fi helped her bond with Mcnulty about their lack of understanding of it at times. however she was shocked at how little he cared about his as opposed to her, she seemed concerned to have weak Fi. No kind of Ni valuing that I can see.

Wee-Bey: ISTj muscle. ISTj- Se. Fe > Fi . Expressive emotions. Ti logic. Lives and breathes the gang hierarchy. Close with Avon the ESTp. Follows orders in name of the organization to kill, no questions asked. Cold and logical in manner.

Marlo: ESTp-Ti sub. Fellow ESTp wanting to impose a structure through their force of will on the streets with them sitting atop the hierarchy. Marlo is more sneaky and snake-like than Avon (Se sub). Impatient as well but not as much as Avon. Seems more cunning but less charismatic and less of a strong arm. More restrained in body language and speech, not as expressive with others as Avon either. Snuck to the top through the back door in a ruthless cold backstabbing way when he killed Prop Joe. Had the best muscle and was killing lots before he took control of the co-op, but he wasn't King, Joe was, due to the connect and status in the co-op. Unlike Avon who killed to use his force to rise to power, Marlo did it through a more cunning way,his killing was done more so for his own personal sense of power and assertion as someone trying to rise to the top, but he seemed to be a less effective route for him than sneaking in- contrary to Avon.

Snoop: ESTp, funny character lol. So horrible but so loveable. Very boisterous and aggressive. Not much needs to be said, seems obvious Se lead to me and Ti > Fi

Bunny Colvin: INFj ? ENFj? Another hard to type character. I'm going with ENFj-Ni though. He's very concerned with morality and ethics. Decides to throw it out the window and stoop to the departments level to prove how bullshit this whole drug war is by giving them exactly what they want through a manipulation of the system they couldn't foresee or imagine. In line with his retirement coming up. Thought out far sighted specific plan. The whole thing was to get a very deep and dramatic response out of his superiors and the department and Mayor to open their eyes to the bigger issue of the drug war. Fe- Ni. Seems to choose those close to him based on the loyalty they show him and how they feel about him rather than the other way around which points to Fe> Fi. Ej tempermant with ni-sub seems right as well. Concerned with the future and helping children to grow up into functional adults, rather than short sighted aggressive drug dealers who in his eyes will eventually wind up dead or in jail. Sees the bigger picture, revolutionary at heart. Wants to create an idealistic environment in the project. Almost works, but then he sees the old lady who lives in Hamsterdam and that's a metaphor for the idealism. That this hamsterdam thing is a pipe dream for a better world and not realistic. Very emotional and expressive. Great liar as he says himself, very articulate and farsighted. Uses his sight of the bigger picture and future to save Namond and able to show his dual wee-bey through Fe-Ni why his son is better off living with him than with his mother.

Herc: Dumbass. Probably some sort of really stupid Istp.

Bubbles: ESFp. Dopehead surviving through his maneuvering and force of will.

Wallace: ISFp, doesn't realize how serious the gang life is. Always a feel good guy to be around, until he sees the stick-up artist dead. Becomes traumatized and burdened with guilt starts using drugs to escape the negative feelings and discomfort.

Bodie: ISTj, similair to Wee-Bey in perspective.

Clay Davis: Slick tongued ENTj. Pretty easy one.

I'll add more later.
    Last edited by kingslayer; 12-25-2018 at 12:55 AM.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

McNulty: ILE
    Rawls: SLE
    Daniels: LSI
    Greggs: SLI
    Herc: SLE
    Freamon: xLI
    Avon Barksdale: LSI
    Stringer Bell: LIE
    Bubs: SEx
    D'Angelo: Gamma
    Omar: EIE
    Ziggy: ILE
    Last edited by Averroes; 04-12-2020 at 11:53 PM.

TIM
    SLE Sx/So
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Averroes View Post
    McNulty: ILE
    Daniels: LSI
    Greggs: SLI
    Herc: SLE
    Freamon: xLI
    Avon Barksdale: LSI
    Stringer Bell: LIE
    Bubs: SEx
    D'Angelo: Gamma
    Omar: EIE
    Ziggy: ILE
    Ziggy is SEE. Gregg's is lse not sli. Avon could be lsi but I'm pretty sure hes Se base instead. And Daniel's I think is LII. Everything else works. McNulty could be LIE though. Him and Omar are similair somewhat

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding ziggy, I feel like a Se-ego would be more aware of their limitations instead of recklessly provoking/throwing tantrums at people that are clearly way out of his league in terms of physical strength or influence. He has no common sense/street smarts in that area
    Last edited by Averroes; 04-14-2020 at 12:19 AM.

TIM
    SLE Sx/So
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding ziggy, I feel like a Se-ego would be more aware of their limitations instead of recklessly provoking/throwing tantrums at people that are clearly way out of his league in terms of physical strength or influence. He has no common sense/street smarts in that area

He is aware, he was convinced into doing it because he's an idiot. ILE wouldn't even care to physically provoke that guy in the first place. Even when he was coming up to him you can see in his face he's all nervous but he's too worried about impressing the guys who thought he could do it.

When does he ever show Ne or any logic at all?

TIM
    SLE Sx/So
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I happened to be re watching s2 with some of my friends this week and I think Ziggy could be ne actually but iee rather than ile. I still dont see any ti

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingslayer View Post
    I happened to be re watching s2 with some of my friends this week and I think Ziggy could be ne actually but iee rather than ile. I still dont see any ti
    ILE was just a general impression - he tries too hard and seems pretty tone deaf which seems to suggest poor Se and Fi at least
    Last edited by Averroes; 04-18-2020 at 07:56 PM.

TIM
    SLE Sx/So
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to expand on my previous list and update some typings:

Mcnulty: ILE
    Bunk: SLE
    Bunny Colvin: EII might make more sense
    Landsman: LSE
    Stringer: LIE
    Clay Davis: LIE
    Nick Sobotka: SEE
    Randy: LIE
    Nick's Dad: ESI
    Frank Sobotoka: LSE
    Stan Valcheck: ESE
    Spiros: SEE
    The Greek: ILI
    Brothel woman with the greeks from s2: LSI
    Sergei the driver is LSI
    Daniels: LSI or LII
    Pearlman: ESE
    Mcnulty's Judge friend: LSE
    Lester Freeman: the other member's typing of SEI works , 13 years in the basement - Te Polr
    Prez: LII activity with Freeman. Se Polr with how he constantly uncontrolled and anxiously overreacts with unnecessary physical force to really minor slights (Punching his step dad, shooting the gun, coldcocking the kid, shooting the cop etc). When he finally got out of the Se environment and became a teacher he stopped acting out like that.
    Burrel: SEE
    Michael Lee: LSI
    Marlo: SLE
    Omar: ESI
    Avon: SLE
    Dukie: SLI
    Namond: ILE
    Albert from Namond's class SLE
    Levy: ILE
    Dangelo: Valued but weak se, perhaps EIE?
    Bodie: LSI
    Wallace: SEI
    Tommy Carcetti: EIE
    His adviser: LSI
    Mayor Royce: IEI
    Herc: SLI
    Carver: IEE
    Cheese: ILE
    Bubbles: SEE
    Jonny: SLI
    Greggs: LSE
    Her wife: IJ but I don't think her dual
    Mcnulty's FBI Buddy: ILE like him
    Wee-Bey LSI
    Michael Santangelo: LSE
    Slim Charles: LSI?

very Beta/Gamma show
    Last edited by kingslayer; 04-19-2020 at 08:48 PM.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE was just a general impression - he tries too hard and seems pretty tone deaf which seems to suggest poor Se and Fi at least
    Why would tone deafness be poor Fi?