Thread: Test: What Your Taste in Art Says About You

TIM
    LII, 5w4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple, Progressive, and Sensual

20 Ukiyo-e, 5 Islamic, 17 Impressionist, -20 Cubist, -19 Abstract and 3 Renaissance!

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Traditional, Vibrant, and Tasteful

7 Islamic, 4 Impressionist, 1 Ukiyo-e, -6 Cubist, -15 Abstract and -6 Renaissance

Islamic art is developed from many sources: Roman, Early Christian, and Byzantine styles were taken over in early Islamic architecture; the architecture and decorative art of pre-Islamic Persia was of paramount significance; Central Asian styles were brought in with various nomadic incursions; and Chinese influences . Islamic art uses many geometical floral or vegetable designs in a repetitive pattern known as arabesque. It is used to symbolize the transcendent, indivisible and infinite nature of Allah.
    People that like Islamic art tend to be more traditional people that appreciate keeping patterns that they learned and experienced from their past. It is not to say that they are not innovative personalities, they just do not like to let go of their roots. They like to put new ideas into details and make certain that they will work before sharing them with others. Failure is not something they like to think about because they are more interested in being successful and appreciated for their intelligence. These people can also be or like elaborate things in their life as long as they are tasteful. They tend to prefer geometric patterns and vibrant colors.

YOUR ANALYSIS (Vertical line = Average)

• You scored 4% on Impressionist, higher than 57% of your peers.

• You scored 7% on Islamic, higher than 66% of your peers.

• You scored 1% on Ukiyo-e, higher than 46% of your peers.

• You scored -6% on Cubist, higher than 57% of your peers.

• You scored -15% on Abstract, higher than 36% of your peers.

• You scored -6% on Renaissance, higher than 44% of your peers.

http://www.helloquizzy.com/results/w...&var_Cubist=11

14 Abstract, -4 Islamic, -12 Ukiyo-e, 11 Cubist, -3 Impressionist and -30 Renaissance!

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

4 Ukiyo-e, 2 Islamic, -14 Impressionist, 1 Cubist, -16 Abstract and -4 Renaissance!

People that chose Ukiyo-e art tend to be more simplistic yet elegant. They don't care much about new style but are comfortable in creating their own. They like the idea of living for the moment and enjoy giving and receiving pleasure. They may be more agreeable than other people and do not like to argue. They do not mind following traditions but are not afraid to move forward to experience other ideas in life. They tend to enjoy nature and the outdoors. They do not mind being more adventurous in their sexual experiences. They enjoy being popular and like being noticed. They have their own unique style of dress and of presenting themselves. They may also tend to be more business oriented or at the very least interested in money making adventures. They might make good entrepreneurs. They are progressive and adaptable

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    Your result for What Your Taste in Art Says About You Test ...
    Conscientious, Fulfilled, and Spiritual
    36 Renaissance, 18 Islamic, 11 Ukiyo-e, -40 Cubist, -46 Abstract and 10 Impressionist!

The Renaissance was a cultural movement that profoundly affected European intellectual life. Beginning in Italy, and spreading to the rest of Europe by the 16th century, its influence affected literature, philosopy, religion, art, politics, science, and all other aspects of intellectual enquiry. Renaissance artists looked at the human aspect of life in their art. They did not reject religion but tended to look at it in it's purest form to create visions they thought depicted the ideals of religion. Painters of this time had their own style and created works based on morality, religion, and human nature. Many of the paintings depicted what they believed to be the corrupt nature of man.

People that like Renaissance paintings like things that are more challenging. They tend to have a high emotional stability. They also tend to be more concientious then average. They have a basic understanding of human nature and therefore are not easily surprised by anything that people may do. They enjoy life and enjoy living. They are very aware of their own mortality but do not dwell on the end but what they are doing in the present. They enjoy learning, but may tend to be a bit more closed minded to new ideas as they feel that the viewpoint they have has been well researched and considered. These people are more old fashioned and not quite as progressive. They enjoy the finer things in life like comfort, a good meal, and homelife. They tend to be more spiritual or religious by nature. They are open to new aesthetic experiences.

Uhm Renaissance art is kinda harmony-based, calming, noble, and idealistic. The perfect form. The instructive story. The archetypal/mythical idea and figures. Why on earth would it be challenging. mmm . It's not like it's Dada, Fauvism, Expressionism, Cubism, or Surrealism. Man.
    Last edited by Amber; 05-24-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    I really hate to admit that I don't know enough about art to confidently think of why. Art is a bit of a weak spot for me. I've never been much into visual art. I've always preferred ideas, or words in a book, to visual art. I have gone through Pinterest trying to find art I like, and what I do find that I like is few and far between...

But, to me:

•Cubism: looks like a bunch of chaotic boxes to me. It doesn't look like as much of an investment.

•Surrealism: I like it because it gives me something to think about.

•Expressionism: For the ones that popped up on google, I didn't like the boldness of color that many of them had. The lines were too undefined.

•Fauvism: First thought, fingerpaint mess.

•Dada: looks like a collage of already existing pieces that have been pasted together.

Renaissance: I like the themes. It tells a story. To me, it's a reflection of the ever present human condition. I like the attention to detail in things like the hands and the clothes. It seems like it took a lot of time and investment. (Maybe that's why it's believed people that like challenging things like Renaissance art?)

God, now I'm going to be thinking about this all day....I'd be interested in hearing your take on the different kinds of art if you are interested, though. I suspect you are more knowledgable in the matter.

I think all these trends had enough objective value (except for mby Dadaism.. ) because they were meant to shake tradition and rigid conventions and replace old forms with new highly ingenious ideas. However my personal take .. as their art speaks to me:

> Dada: chaotic overflow and "arrangement" with something artistically beautiful supposed to arise out of disorder and lack of intent .... which isn't happening in most cases. It was a very revolutionary movement that had socio-cultural value imo. But the works of art taken individually don't tell me much. I like how they employ collage.

> Cubism : highly abstract (detached from real things in the environment and from subjective perceptual or emotional "landscape") and complicated ... it's more about form and color than about communicating well-shaped meaning. I do like some pieces ...Braque, Picasso .... I like them for the sharp geometric patterns most of all.

> Surrealism : It's meant to move away from objective reality .,..just as Cubism/Abstract art ... but there's a focus on human consciousness, dream-like states, imagination, the unconscious .... There are whole alternative narratives and figures that come up out of this. So I like it because it's extremely creative and independent ...you don't get the feeling it's mainly about parody and mockery of older forms. However it depends on the painter ... I dislike Dali (too much. and too repetitive. looks like an obsession with the same motifs, ideas, and methods. ). I love Magritte https://www.google.de/search?q=jacek...itte+paintings... Joan Miro..... but also a few contemporary works of folks who still follow surrealist principles. https://www.google.de/search?q=jacek...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAQ

> Expressionism - some directions are awesome. Strong, rich, bold colors; sharp, vivid, paroxistic emotionality. Cool enough. Not a fan of the anxiety-and-alienation orientation of someone like Munch. However I like art that represents exuberance, euphoria, or some form of aggression/struggle. Franz Marc, Paul Klee ... and especially Chagall, Van Gogh and Kandinsky (altho the latter moves into abstraction a lot). The chromatic luxury (and even exhibitionism) makes me melt.

> Fauvism -- it's more experimental and weaker as a movement. Again I like the strong and bright colors, the contrasts folks indulge in .... but the meaning is not really something thought-provoking and smashing. It was supposed to reflect a "return" to rawness and primitivism. Anyway too much emphasis on form and style, so to speak. I like Matisse.

> Renaissance : extremely valuable objectively speaking .... but excessive appreciation of symmetry, equilibrium ... search for perfection ... the world doesn't look that static, dry, and utopian to me. I like many artists, ofc ...but I wouldn't buy their works and I don't spend much time staring at them by other means. Great focus on detail, eulogy of spotless beauty, very elaborate and elevating art ... but ultimately it feels limiting and unrealistic.

Other kinds of art I like >> Baroque (mostly in music, architecture, sculpture, but sometimes painting as well). It centers on majestic, overpowering qualities rather than "quiet and quieting beauty". It's mainly about grandiose and sublime things with a high degree of dramatic tension. Then Realism (to a certain extent ... take Edward Hopper, for instance https://www.google.de/search?q=magri...q=edward+hoppe). Luminism (pretty simple, but ecstatic). And Postmodernism on the whole, of course. Not into stuff like Pollock. Boring and meaningless.
    Last edited by Amber; 05-26-2015 at 11:29 AM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Extroverted, Progressive, and Intelligent

13 Cubist, -4 Islamic, -4 Ukiyo-e, -20 Impressionist, 11 Abstract and -17 Renaissance!

Cubism was a 20th century avant-garde movement, pioneered by Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque. It revolutionized European art and inspired changes in music and literature. The first branch of cubism, known asAnalytic Cubism. It was both radical and influential as a short but highly significant art movement between 1908 and 1911 mainly in France. In its second phase, Synthetic Cubism, (using synthetic materials in the art) the movement spread and remained vital until around 1919.

People that chose Cubist paintings as their favorite art form tend to be very individualized people. They are more extroverted and less afraid of speaking their opinions then other people. They tend to be progressive and are very forward thinking. As the cubist painting is like looking into a shattered mirror where you can see different angles of the images, the people that prefer these paintings like looking at all angles of a problem. These people are intelligent and they are the transformers of our generation. They look beyond what is seen into what things could become. They are ready to leave the ideas of the past behind and look at what the future has to offer.

• You scored -20% on Impressionist, higher than 4% of your peers.

• You scored -4% on Islamic, higher than 26% of your peers.

• You scored -4% on Ukiyo-e, higher than 27% of your peers.

• You scored 13% on Cubist, higher than 91% of your peers.

• You scored 11% on Abstract, higher than 89% of your peers.

• You scored -17% on Renaissance, higher than 21% of your peers.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    SLI-Si(H)5w6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

23 Ukiyo-e, -5 Islamic, 6 Impressionist, 0 Cubist, -13 Abstract and -12 Renaissance!

Ukiyo-e (浮世絵, Ukiyo-e), "pictures of the floating world", is a genre of Japaneseand paintings produced between the 17th and the 20th centuries. it mostly featured landscapes, historic tales, theatre, and pleasure. Ukiyo is a rather impetuous urban culture that has bloomed in popularity. Although the Japanese were more strict and had many prohibitions it did not affect the rising merchant class and therefore became a floating art form that did not bind itself to the normal ideals of society.

People that chose Ukiyo-e art tend to be more simplistic yet elegant. They don't care much about new style but are comfortable in creating their own. They like the idea of living for the moment and enjoy giving and receiving pleasure. They may be more agreeable than other people and do not like to argue. They do not mind following traditions but are not afraid to move forward to experience other ideas in life. They tend to enjoy nature and the outdoors. They do not mind being more adventurous in their sexual experiences. They enjoy being popular and like being noticed. They have their own unique style of dress and of presenting themselves. They may also tend to be more business oriented or at the very least interested in money making adventures. They might make good entrepreneurs. They are progressive and adaptable.
    Cool test.

As we reach for the stars, we must put away childish things; gods, spirits and other phantasms of the brain. Reality is cruel and unforgiving, yet we must steel ourselves and secure the survival of our race through the unflinching pursuit of science and technology.
    - Stellaris

TIM
    IEI-Fe-DCh so/sx
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traditional, Vibrant, and Tasteful

13 Islamic, 8 Impressionist, -4 Ukiyo-e, -8 Cubist, -3 Abstract and -14 Renaissance!

Islamic art is developed from many sources: Roman, Early Christian, and Byzantine styles were taken over in early Islamic architecture; the architecture and decorative art of pre-Islamic Persia was of paramount significance; Central Asian styles were brought in with various nomadic incursions; and Chinese influences . Islamic art uses many geometical floral or vegetable designs in a repetitive pattern known as arabesque. It is used to symbolize the transcendent, indivisible and infinite nature of Allah.

People that like Islamic art tend to be more traditional people that appreciate keeping patterns that they learned and experienced from their past. It is not to say that they are not innovative personalities, they just do not like to let go of their roots. They like to put new ideas into details and make certain that they will work before sharing them with others. Failure is not something they like to think about because they are more interested in being successful and appreciated for their intelligence. These people can also be or like elaborate things in their life as long as they are tasteful. They tend to prefer geometric patterns and vibrant colors.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

10 Cubist, -7 Islamic, -4 Ukiyo-e, 8 Impressionist, 2 Abstract and -24 Renaissance!

Cubism was a 20th century avant-garde movement, pioneered by Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque. It revolutionized European art and inspired changes in music and literature. The first branch of cubism, known as Analytic Cubism. It was both radical and influential as a short but highly significant art movement between 1908 and 1911 mainly in France. In its second phase, Synthetic Cubism, (using synthetic materials in the art) the movement spread and remained vital until around 1919.

People that chose Cubist paintings as their favorite art form tend to be very individualized people. They are more extroverted and less afraid of speaking their opinions then other people. They tend to be progressive and are very forward thinking. As the cubist painting is like looking into a shattered mirror where you can see different angles of the images, the people that prefer these paintings like looking at all angles of a problem. These people are intelligent and they are the transformers of our generation. They look beyond what is seen into what things could become. They are ready to leave the ideas of the past behind and look at what the future has to offer.
    I don't think I've ever really liked Cubism...(one of my grandfather's favourite paintings was Guernica, although this was in large part because of the significance of the painting)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I don't think I've ever really liked Cubism...(one of my grandfather's favourite paintings was Guernica, although this was in large part because of the significance of the painting)
    Not my favorite either but I guess given the options in the test it was the inevitable outcome.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

18 Cubist, -14 Islamic, -10 Ukiyo-e, -17 Impressionist, 17 Abstract and -26 Renaissance!

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30 Renaissance, 24 Islamic, 17 Ukiyo-e, -33 Cubist, -42 Abstract and 10 Impressionist!
    The Renaissance was a cultural movement that profoundly affected European intellectual life. Beginning in Italy, and spreading to the rest of Europe by the 16th century, its influence affected literature, philosopy, religion, art, politics, science, and all other aspects of intellectual enquiry. Renaissance artists looked at the human aspect of life in their art. They did not reject religion but tended to look at it in it's purest form to create visions they thought depicted the ideals of religion. Painters of this time had their own style and created works based on morality, religion, and human nature. Many of the paintings depicted what they believed to be the corrupt nature of man.
    People that like Renaissance paintings like things that are more challenging. They tend to have a high emotional stability. They also tend to be more concientious then average. They have a basic understanding of human nature and therefore are not easily surprised by anything that people may do. They enjoy life and enjoy living. They are very aware of their own mortality but do not dwell on the end but what they are doing in the present. They enjoy learning, but may tend to be a bit more closed minded to new ideas as they feel that the viewpoint they have has been well researched and considered. These people are more old fashioned and not quite as progressive. They enjoy the finer things in life like comfort, a good meal, and homelife. They tend to be more spiritual or religious by nature. They are open to new aesthetic experiences.

I picked quite a few based on the subject matter of the individual painting. I'm mostly just happy that the makers of this test were smart enough not to be like "you don't like purely abstract art so you're stupid" (purely abstract art is often just fluff IMO, it can look nice but it's more like a craft than actual art since it doesn't mean anything). Not being "progressive" is probably pretty close to being stupid for a lot of people though. We also have to stop the Subteigh x Verbrannte thing now...

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

22 Renaissance, 17 Islamic, 19 Ukiyo-e, -27 Cubist, -28 Abstract and 8 Impressionist!

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    to tell you the truth, I don't think this test says ANYthing about you other than what kinds of art you prefer, given a limited choice. pretty much useless.
    Yeah, where are all the tons of other kinds of art? All that my results really say is that I like figurative art. Given a wider selection, they could probably find something about you, but these are mostly Forer-effect-y with a few vague concrete things thrown in.

@Chae That looks like my results. Basically, as I said, just a general preference for figurative art, which is especially meaningless given there's no realistic art available to differentiate those categories.

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scored highest on impressionist and got the balanced and secure result. I do enjoy abstract art though, just not any that was in the test particularly. I really like abstract seascapes for example.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verbrannte View Post
    @Chae That looks like my results. Basically, as I said, just a general preference for figurative art, which is especially meaningless given there's no realistic art available to differentiate those categories.
    I was wondering about it as well, you just scored less in the Abstract department. Good point, I also experience the same w/ sculptures.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    I was wondering about it as well, you just scored less in the Abstract department. Good point, I also experience the same w/ sculptures.
    Yeah. And as I said, it doesn't even differentiate things that much. It mostly just seems to be an attempt at classifying people in terms of their 1. political beliefs 2. interestingness 3. intelligence (which also correlate 100% with 1. in the common view) rather than a real artistic survey (like some others I've seen, although one of those confused figurative art and "photorealism" I like figurative art, realism is boring, get stuff straight).

I've never been super into visual arts (although I'm trying to be now) but for a while I was really into the expressionist movement as a whole (film, writing, etc.), but I don't see anything like that here (expressionism and impressionism are not as similar as the names suggest). I don't think the categories here really represent all artistic categories so much as all mainstream political categories, as I said.

Pacifist
    TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non-conformist, Visionary, and Independent
    21 Abstract, -16 Islamic, -5 Ukiyo-e, 16 Cubist, -14 Impressionist and -32 Renaissance!

Very limited choices, and somehow look imbalance.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

28 Renaissance, 11 Islamic, 23 Ukiyo-e, -33 Cubist, -34 Abstract and -2 Impressionist!

Your Analysis (Vertical line = Average)

• You scored -2% on Impressionist, higher than 39% of your peers.

• You scored 11% on Islamic, higher than 78% of your peers.

• You scored 23% on Ukiyo-e, higher than 96% of your peers.

• You scored -33% on Cubist, higher than 4% of your peers.

• You scored -34% on Abstract, higher than 7% of your peers.

• You scored 28% on Renaissance, higher than 96% of your peers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123