Thread: Ti being rigid, Te being flexible

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Ti being rigid, Te being flexible

I think there's kind of this notion (and it's been talked about before) that Ti is more rigid but Te is flexible. Ti's categories are kind of like more harshly defined- it's more wrapped up in a neat ribbon or something, and Te is something that is more adaptive to what Fi wants because Fi 'wants things' in a different and stronger way than Fe wants something.

But I mean idk if I fully grasp that or something being a F type so maybe there is examples of how Ti is flexible and Te is rigid. For example Ti is probably more flexible for people who have 3D or 4D Ti I'd assume?

I'm not a te valuer but I have appreciated this in situations I think because I do really see how Ti categories are often just kind of pointless, overrated or limiting, or they don't really lead anywhere or have much momentum because it's more of this neat box. I mean I still hate Te ofc but this is probably the one thing about Te I kinda like for some reason?

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An example that comes to mind is in the movie Alien when John Hurt's character gets hurt (punny, I know) and Captain Dallas is trying to get him back into the ship so they can try to save him. Ripley who is Ti base rigidly sticks to the quarantine protocol which is a Ti rule and Dallas is operating under common sense that a crew member is hurt and needs access to the ship's Med Bay to try to remove the face hugger and hopefully save the injured crew member which is more Fi/Te.

So Te is willing to disregard Ti rules when it comes to common sense. However, as the movie shows, sometimes Ti rules exist for a good reason and there are reasons to be impartial about such rules. My LSE dad often says hindsight is 20/20 and by the end of the movie, it is easy even for a Te valuer to see that everyone should have listened to Ripley.

Banned
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ti- general rule/principle

Te- data, exceptions

Ti man: Eating a lot makes u fat

Te man: Well actuallyyy, that's not ALWAYS true. I know this Japanese man named Kobayashi, he's really skinny and he can eat like 50 hot dogs and not get fat.
    Like God, Ti man, you're so RIGID you need to stop over-indulging in your Ti rules!!! I totally recommend you read this 1000-page e-book on the "science of eating" as they have many experts sharing their take on this topic.

Ti man: Dude, I don't need to read a 1000 page e-book to realize eating a lot makes u fat

Te man: Well it's because u don't believe in SCIENCE, that's why. If you TRULY understood the data, u would realize that your rule is limiting. The world doesn't revolve around ur pointless limiting rules, Ti man.
    F you and your categorizing. Not everything can fit nicely into a little box!!! Not EVERYONE gains weight when they eat a lot. Plus, u don't have any credentials to be making statements like that. Go get a degree in Food Science and then maybe I'll believe u

Ti man: ...
    Last edited by peteronfireee2; 07-20-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used an online PC builder tool and asked my friend to critique it.

He said I chose the wrong RAM for a start - SoDIMM. "SoDIMM is for notebooks and NUCs" = *I must memorise this as a rule.

The power supply I chose had SFX form factor and he told me to choose an ATX form factor PSU because those more commonly fit inside PC cases (cables won't be too short, unlike those on SFX PSU). When choosing the PSU I went for the cheapest (500W) but I was told 650W would be a smarter choice to cover for any parts I'd add or upgrade in the future.

I chose an SSD because less moving parts, but he said I should add an HDD because the SSD would cover the OS and applications while the HDD would ensure I don't run out of space for other stuff.

Because there are obvious compatibility relationships between the parts of a PC (rigidity), would the instructions from my friend be more Ti-based than Te?
    Te focus would be more like - Is this fit for purpose? What am I going to be using the PC for?

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    I used an online PC builder tool and asked my friend to critique it.

He said I chose the wrong RAM for a start - SoDIMM. "SoDIMM is for notebooks and NUCs" = *I must memorise this as a rule.
    This would be more Ti

The power supply I chose had SFX form factor and he told me to choose an ATX form factor PSU because those more commonly fit inside PC cases (cables won't be too short, unlike those on SFX PSU). When choosing the PSU I went for the cheapest (500W) but I was told 650W would be a smarter choice to cover for any parts I'd add or upgrade in the future.
    The part about not having to upgrade for the future includes some Te.

I chose an SSD because less moving parts, but he said I should add an HDD because the SSD would cover the OS and applications while the HDD would ensure I don't run out of space for other stuff.
    This is both Ti and Te.

Because there are obvious compatibility relationships between the parts of a PC (rigidity), would the instructions from my friend be more Ti-based than Te?
    Te focus would be more like - Is this fit for purpose? What am I going to be using the PC for?
    What you are describing as Te focus is correct. For instance, a Te approach, I think, to PC building would be what I want to do with the PC. Say I want to use it to play any kind of game. I would first consider cost and what kind of graphics card and processor I would need. I would expect to put in the most money into the graphics card and processor because they are typically the most expensive parts.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@aixelsyd thank you for the breakdown Knowing the graphics card and processor required to play games on the PC would lead you to find a motherboard compatible with those, and so on.

Ti compatibility rules still apply, but the particulars of the individual parts matter only once the cost and use objective has been met.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pandemic candy View Post

Te- data, exceptions

Te man: Well actuallyyy, that's not ALWAYS true. I know this Japanese man named Kobayashi, he's really skinny and he can eat like 50 hot dogs and not get fat.
    Like God, Ti man, you're so RIGID you need to stop over-indulging in your Ti rules!!! I totally recommend you read this 1000-page e-book on the "science of eating" as they have many experts sharing their take on this topic.

Ti man: Dude, I don't need to read a 1000 page e-book to realize eating a lot makes u fat

Te man: Well it's because u don't believe in SCIENCE, that's why. If you TRULY understood the data, u would realize that your rule is limiting. The world doesn't revolve around ur pointless limiting rules, Ti man.
    F you and your categorizing. Not everything can fit nicely into a little box!!! Not EVERYONE gains weight when they eat a lot. Plus, u don't have any credentials to be making statements like that. Go get a degree in Food Science and then maybe I'll believe u

Extra enhanced Ti man: Eating a lot high energy content that is digestible by your body (assuming your feeding and digestion tract is intact like you are not dead/sick and all that jazz or bypassing food through some tube) makes you fat assuming your energy input is still higher than your energy output.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Although Ti and Te shouldn't be analysed in isolation, Ti-types tend to be rigid (Te is flexible) on process while Te-types can be rigid (Ti is flexible) on knowledge. Rigidity has to be somewhere for stability purposes while flexibility is needed for adaptation; no type has cornered the market on either.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Idk I think Te can be flexible in thinking for instance:
    “There’s a lot in the universe out there that we don’t know. To think that we are the only life out there among billions of galaxies is just not right.”
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

lmao @pandemic candy ... that was perfect, thank you.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Te- data, exceptions

lol metabolism is different in individuals . But then what is “a lot”? What is “a lot” for one person is not for another .
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Also for RPG class ness, I've noticed something else about Ti/Te too:

Ti valuing voice: lol no way in hell you are a str8 man tank class. That isn't you at all. You are either a healer or magic caster definitely.

Te real life experience, exception: You actually tank really well IRL and get in leadership positions cuz of it. Wow. What u thought was right in your head, Te trolled you otherwise.

Banned
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny bc if me and a Te-based person is arguing about something, and we're both being reasonable, many times we will reach the same conclusions later on .... it's just that we attack the situation from different angles, so in the beginning it's this giant W T F moment lol

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    lol metabolism is different in individuals . But then what is “a lot”? What is “a lot” for one person is not for another .
    Right. In MY mind, it seems like common sense. But in your guy's mind, it's probably vague/not specific enough lol

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

It's funny bc if me and a Te-based person is arguing about something, and we're both being reasonable, many times we will reach the same conclusions later on .... it's just that we attack the situation from different angles, so in the beginning it's this giant W T F moment lol
    Your demonstrates here
    Me: Every type approaches the situation at different angles making cooperating efforts and relationships all the more important
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

yes not specific to everyone

Right. In MY mind, it seems like common sense. But in your guy's mind, it's probably vague/not specific enough lol
    Yup not specific to everyone as everyone is an individual with their own immune system with their own body. You have to listen to your own body even in exercising since your body will tell you you’re doing too much
    -

Banned
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    Yup not specific to everyone as everyone is an individual with their own immune system with their own body. You have to listen to your own body even in exercising since your body will tell you you’re doing too much
    yeah yeah ok miss Te woman

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

yeah yeah ok miss Te woman

Hehe
    -

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@pandemic candy

Old school mad tv was so Beta! What u said reminds me of this video:

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

HAHA I LOVE MAD TV'S BETA NESS.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    @pandemic candy

I’m saving this!
    -

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Beautiful sky

You've been letting IEIs corrupt you too much. <3 Not that I'm complaining.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"How much will it cost me?"

"It will cost you nothing! You'll actually save money."

haha that poor woman was probably a 1D or 2D Te valuer. Weak-ish at Te but valued it and the simplistic Ti of it all was too much for her. Maybe a SEE or IEE? Or even a depressed IEI/SEI too conscious of the PoLR perhaps.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

"How much will it cost me?"

"It will cost you nothing! You'll actually save money."

haha that poor woman was probably a 1D or 2D Te valuer. Weak-ish at Te but valued it and the simplistic Ti of it all was too much for her. Maybe a SEE or IEE? Or even a depressed IEI/SEI too conscious of the PoLR perhaps.
    I vote for my cousin when she was depressed… depressed IEI for sure. It took me years to get her out and inspire her to exercise YEARS and now finally in her 50’s she has some will to get out
    -

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@pandemic candy

Definitely Keegan Micheal Key in the background

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting thread! You know what I find funny, you can really see the Ti and Te difference with Ti and Te PoLR’s. Like my sister (SEE) and I will bitch about logic back in forth because she doesn’t understand me and I don’t understand her LOL then we just give the other person the wheel in which needs to be taken and shut up. I always viewed Te very rigidly but it honestly makes sense that is really flexible now that you mention it.

I have an LIE friend and we’re chatting about relationships are our views on divorce and whatnot. I forget what exactly was said but I remember asking “Well what if I get a divorce” she said something along the lines of “Well if that happens then I’ll change my mind”. Which really struck a cord with me because I always thought Te was so rigid. She has very strong viewed about it as well. A lot of Te types can be very flexible but I originally viewed Te as being very rigid but unpredictable (PoLR yo).

My brother (SLE) and I are Ti values. I understand his logic much better. We will sit and keep going over and over something till we are good. But we’re both stubborn as fuck. My brother and I don’t seem to make many concrete judgements as often but if we do, that is a hill we are dying on lol. My brother and I will go ham on each other when we argue with Ti. Feels like no holds bard sometimes lol. My sister tends to make more but seems to be flexible in changing them then my brother and I.

I always thought Ti and Te were switched. That Ti was more flexible then Te but I am wrong. Thanks for the perspective!

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I always viewed Te very rigidly but it honestly makes sense that is really flexible now that you mention it.
    Well technically the word is 'dynamic' ... Te is very dynamic, but it's a kind of weird word I don't hear often in everyday life and so I thought
    'flexible' might be better for the layman. With Te/Ti being part of a flexible/rigid dichotomy.

Yeah 'dynamic' isn't a very fancy or big word by any stretch of the imagination, but I still don't hear people use it much at all in everyday language. My Te polr doesn't like words I'd only hear about reading in a book or at school.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My supervisor at work is a Te ego, and I’ve noticed that she’ll tell me to do something one way and the next day be like “No you should have done X instead”. Tbh this makes me feel a little defensive—my first thought is often “Well then why didn’t you tell me to do X?!” I have to reframe my perspective and remind myself that my Ti isn’t under attack. More often than not she’s just thinking out loud, assimilating new information, and making a judgement (“X is better than Y”).

Similar to how Fe is less personal than Fi, Te is less personal than Ti. Te egos can appear very critical, but their criticism isn’t meant to be taken personally since they’re not judging “you”, they’re judging your end product, which they see as changeable. I actually like this aspect of Te—in a sense it feels optimistic and flexible to me.

Or maybe this is my way of coping with Te polr slaps all day? Idk lol.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@pandemic candy

Fuck, this is so accurate

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    My supervisor at work is a Te ego, and I’ve noticed that she’ll tell me to do something one way and the next day be like “No you should have done X instead”. Tbh this makes me feel a little defensive—my first thought is often “Well then why didn’t you tell me to do X?!” I have to reframe my perspective and remind myself that my Ti isn’t under attack. More often than not she’s just thinking out loud, assimilating new information, and making a judgement (“X is better than Y”).

Similar to how Fe is less personal than Fi, Te is less personal than Ti. Te egos can appear very critical, but their criticism isn’t meant to be taken personally since they’re not judging “you”, they’re judging your end product, which they see as changeable. I actually like this aspect of Te—in a sense it feels optimistic and flexible to me.

Or maybe this is my way of coping with Te polr slaps all day? Idk lol.
    Yeah, that's Te being its dynamic stupid self. It takes what is there and builds from the ground up, same goes with Fe in its own domain. I really hate facing similar problems and being unable to use some ready-made solution somedays, it would be easier. I'm also bothered by seeing how freaking unconsistant I can be. I can contradict myself without contradicting myself by using different words to explain the same thing. That's a big reason why I don't like talking much or say vague bullshit at times, I know what I'm thinking won't last. If it does, it will come off different anyway.
    I couldn't even explain how my view of typologies has changed over time, and it's still going. Nothing stable here. It's like I'm seeing a bunch of Ti systems floating around and being vastly useless, and using this, I'm building some barely sensed something from the ground up, as if popping out of thin air, trying to gage if what I'm saying is consistant enough with what I said.
    It's a good thing sometimes, a bad one others.
    I can see how it distresses certain people. I can't keep my brain from doing it, I can only shut up and focus on other things.

Sorry for bouncing off your post with this, lol. I thought it made a good base to build upon. Good for you not to take it personal, it isn't and people don't mean harm doing this.

What I hate is when a Te ego says they always did things this way when I know it's false. Makes me wanna beat them up with my slipper, lol.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Te- data, exceptions

There's only one Truth.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Flexible vs rigid is more a trait of irrational vs rational, I'd say.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Te- data, exceptions

That sounds more like Ne + weak and valued Te cherrypicking information to validate their +Fi beliefs about body positivity. I would find the "Te man's" take annoying and completely uninteresting/useless - Kobayashi either exercises a lot or eats a reasonable amount of food on most days
    Last edited by Averroes; 07-27-2021 at 02:24 PM.