View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 41.57%
  • No

26 29.21%
  • I'm not sure.

13 14.61%
  • It doesn't matter

13 14.61%
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in God?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you believe in God?

...and why, or why not?

I am always curious about what people believe and, even more interestingly, why... but it's not something you can ask most people you're not friends w, and even then things can get contentious.

Hopefully there won't be fights, but I really want to know people's stances :-)
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

TIM
    Eii
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaein View Post
    lol

I really would like to hear people's explanations, but the poll is anonymous, so if you want to answer the question without elaborating, at least no one will know who said what.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I haven't seen evidence of any specific god's existence.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yes

Because of guidance and values. Connection to our community and the global community as well. For LOVE about all things and compassion. All those things that we're deem human
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Sure lots of them as concepts and for inspiration.

http://www.godchecker.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conceptions_of_God

Most people I know who are Christian believe in god because they were taught to. It was ingrained and they really can't explain why other than what they were taught. This is what I have determined based on conversations.

Incidentally, I have never dreamt of the Christian god even though I was raised Christian. I have however dreamt of the Christian Satan and demons on many occasions thanks to the focus on hell that I was exposed to in my search for "god" in the Christian faith. I even went the whole born again christian route even though I was baptized as Greek Orthodox. That really upset my mom for awhile but after years of disagreements on god she and I have agreed to let each other be. Primarily because she does not focus on the negatives like hell. she believes in a loving god who answers her prayers. I will never tell her I don't believe in god again because it hurts her feelings and I am not sure if I would call what I believe in "god". It is a universal multi-dimensional force of creation, for lack of a shorter term. I don't believe that force has any personal feelings or preferences in how creation evolves itself and has probably gone through many changes of forms even before there was what we now call the universe. IOW I don't know but I have ideas. It has no emotions and is not human in any way.
    Last edited by Aylen; 03-04-2016 at 07:15 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yes

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do believe in God but I do not believe in a creator God.

TIM
    Ne EII
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Most people I know who are Christian believe in god because they were taught to. It was ingrained and they really can't explain why other than what they were taught.
    I believe in God (I'm a christian) and it would be a huge stretch to call my upbringing nurturing in terms of religion. Still, I don't think I'll help with the whys. Grace. Sure, but it's not an explanation that's at all helpful in this case, I suppose.
    It feels true. Do you know Schiller's song "I feel you"? It's a lot like that. Even when I didn't believe in God, I still loved God. So hey, why fight it? ;>
    I call myself batyote and I fight crime at night.

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. The idea of a bearded sky daddy watching me touch myself is ridiculous.
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with god is that he has no weaknesses. It makes no sense to me for a magical being that is omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal, to somehow just pop into existence with such incredible traits built in. God is just an anthropological construct, wishful thinking. For those who have a feeling connection with God, such as Maritsa, why does God have to exist to form connection, values, and love? Why can't we just form such things on our own without a god?

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Ninja View Post
    No. The idea of a bearded sky daddy watching me touch myself is ridiculous.
    Every time you touch yourself, baby Jesus cries.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncivilized View Post
    The problem with god is that he has no weaknesses. It makes no sense to me for a magical being that is omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal, to somehow just pop into existence with such incredible traits built in. God is just an anthropological construct, wishful thinking. For those who have a feeling connection with God, such as Maritsa, why does God have to exist to form connection, values, and love? Why can't we just form such things on our own without a god?
    Because if it is not in servitude to others, then it is in servitude to the self. God fills in the gaps, when you can't see who or how you're serving others.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    I do believe in God but I do not believe in a creator God.
    Deism?

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. Sure, I know that it's irrational to outright deny god's existence, but I also don't have any reason to believe in a god (I was raised as an atheist). Also, the question itself is problematic, because the answer completely depends on your idea of what constitutes "god". Is it an actual being, some form of primal energy or something else? Is he omnipotent or not? Does he exist within the universe/dimension or outside of it? Religions tend to have very different concepts of god.

But it makes sense that people invented god at some point. It is a way to find convincing answers for the basic questions of our existence. But you don't really "need" him anymore (at least for the most part), considering all the things we know today. Humans can be explained by natural laws, our feelings have a purpose. Both our bodies and mind are subject to evolution. Morality is subjective and religion has been a tool to control people almost from the beginning.

At some point, you will eventually delve into the realm of philosophy where some faith is needed to continue, but this is inevitable.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8419 View Post
    Deism?
    No idea what that is I am going to go look it up....

No, no God started nor created anything. There is no phenomenon outside of basic physics and chemistry that has given rise to life on planet Earth. There was never a Creater God.

God is a aspect of human consciousness, shared by each person, and is a birth right as a species of great ape with massive brains. God is a conceptualization of this awareness and is a cultural endowment of countless generations before us. In some instances this conceptualization has given form to a societal framework on which we base our necessary beliefs in the parts of our minds that is boundless. These ideas of a creator God are artifacts, even derelicts from another time when the conceptualization was still a widespread illusion. This illusion has simultaneously led to all kinds of harmful endemic delusions as well as many gracious, noble, beneficial and fulfilling acts both at the individual and societial levels. The Crusades juxtaposed to the good work of feeding less fortunate come to mind.

Man's rationality has freed the collective societies from the bondage of such beliefs (but not fast enough) That we have come to this perdiciment is a consequence of 10,000 years of cultural indoctrination in the belief of a separate individual identitity. This was the original fall from grace, self-awareness, from the unselfconcious yet unified awareness within ourselves that we now call God.

In my view does knowing this take away from the personal experience of God? Not at all. It only serves to illuminate the incredible inhereted lineage of our biological selves and the responsibility that follows as an awakened creature in a bizarrely terrifying Universe. A Universe empty of anything except our own perceptions projected onto its canvas. Knowing this experientially was both terrifying and beautiful.

As one forumite quoted to me not long ago "God is all to human".
    Last edited by wacey; 03-04-2016 at 10:26 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No idea what that is I am going to go look it up....

No, no God started nor created anything. There is no phenomenon outside of basic physics and chemistry that has given rise to life on planet Earth. There was never a Creater God.

God is a aspect of human consciousness, shared by each person, and is a birth right as a species of great ape with massive brains. God is a conceptualization of this awareness and is a cultural endowment of countless generations before us. In some instances this conceptualization has given form to a societal framework on which we base our necessary beliefs in the parts of our minds that is boundless. These ideas of a creator God are artifacts, even derelicts from another time when the conceptualization was still a widespread illusion led led to all kinds of harmful endemic delusions. Man's rationality has freed the collective societies from the bondage of such beliefs (but not fast enough) That we have come to this perdiciment is a consequence of 10,000 years of cultural indoctrination in the belief of a separate individual identitity. This was the original fall from grace, self-awareness, from the unselfconcious yet unified awareness within ourselves that we now call God.

In my view does knowing this that take away from the personal experience of God? Not at all. It only serves to illuminate the incredible inhereted lineage of our biological selves and the responsibility that follows as an awakened creature in a bizarrely terrifying Universe. A Universe empty of anything except our own perceptions projected onto its canvas.

As one forumite quoted to me not long ago "God is all to human".
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I have read that now thank-you. And no, I do not subscribe to this amalgamated merging of God and rationality. That is just a transitioning philosophy from one belief into another to increase the comfort of the believers at that time. A creator God that created the Universe and then left it hands off is simply a more subtle and nuanced concept whose roots are firmly planted in the original creator myth. This is just another mythology, albeit an eloquent one. If the Religious could not have their creator in life on Earth, then the next best thing was that he created it and then left it to circumstance, of which those to he also happened to have created.

Man's nature and selective evolutionary pressure gave us the ability to reason, not God.

The Universe exists and we are only now probing its mysteries. It was not created, it just is by virtue of its very nature. That it exists is both cause and effect alone.

That is a tough one for the Religious to grapple with. Because if there is no creator..then who is running the show?

The really scary and freeing part is...no one.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I have read that now thank-you. And no, I do not subscribe to this amalgamated merging of God and rationality. That is just a transitioning philosophy from one belief into another to increase the comfort of the believers at that time. A creator God that created the Universe and then left it hands off is simply a more subtle and nuanced concept whose roots are firmly planted in the original creator myth. This is just another mythology, albeit an eloquent one. If the Religious could not have their creator in life on Earth, then the next best thing was that he created it and then left it to circumstance, of which those to he also happened to have created.

Man's nature and selective evolutionary pressure gave us the ability to reason, not God.

The Universe exists and we are only now probing its mysteries. It was not created, it just is by virtue of its very nature. That it exists is both cause and effect alone.

That is a tough one for the Religious to grapple with. Because if there is no creator..then who is running the show?

The really scary and freeing part is...no one.
    You sound like a troll lol

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You sound like a troll lol
    Yeah, k cool dude.

TIM
    Take a guess
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I think of "God" I think of something more like this

i.e. a singularity responsible for existence. I don't think of this

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Resonare View Post
    When I think of "God" I think of something more like this

i.e. a singularity responsible for existence. I don't think of this

The singularity from Interstellar looks cooler. Probably a GIF version too.

TIM
    Take a guess
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The singularity from Interstellar looks cooler. Probably a GIF version too.
    That one creeps the hell out of me.

Good movie though

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Resonare View Post
    That one creeps the hell out of me.

Good movie though

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Because it has never been validated to me through my thoughts or experiences and everybody who believes in god acts like a crackpot.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes because patterns.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I do not believe in god or any supernatural entities, as I only believe there is merit in limiting myself to that which is capable of being observed (i.e. natural phenomena). I am perhaps even more certain that a moral god does not exist, which is probably a more important conclusion.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I have two reasons, the first being observational and the second being personal.

1) Observational: There is far too much evidence that God exists.

Morally, we all know it's wrong to lie, steal, cheat, murder. We all believe in justice. We all desire to extend compassion. These come from God in perfect balance.

"Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; therefore He will rise up to show you compassion.
    For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for Him!"
    Isaiah 30:18

Creation is just too complex in its micro and macro design to have happened on its own.

"The Heavens are telling of the glory of God;
    And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands."
    -Psalm 19:1

Logically, all things creations have a creator. All designs have a designer.

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."
    -Genesis 1:1

2) Personal reasons: I've had prayers answered and things occur in ways that are unexplainable.

-I was crying one day. I prayed for Jesus to mow my lawn because I was too sad. As I went outside to get started, my neighbor, who is this disgruntled old man that had never come over before, came over and told me to go inside my house. He pointed at his chest and he said "I'm mowing your lawn." I tried to split the yard with him and he pointed at his chest again and repeated himself.

-I was once moved to pray in the middle of a jog. I veered off into the woods to pray. When I stood back up, I realized I'd knelt in a patch of poison ivy. I never had a reaction, even though I've had reactions in the past.

-I once prayed for something to do on a quiet Wednesday. I felt God telling me to visit an elderly woman on the street that I had never met. When I walked over there, she was crying in her living room. She was lonely and upset, and it was her 86th birthday.

I have several pages of these types of things recorded in a journal. I could go on. There's just too much in my mind and experience to even doubt.

My reasons for entrusting my heart & soul to Jesus are too numerous to write here, however I'd be willing to discuss in detail at any time. And for the record, I considered other religions. In fact, I studied religions in college. China and Japan religions were the most fascinating to me, and that class ultimately became my favorite, as it was taught by a professor who had once practiced as a buddhist monk.
    Last edited by applejacks; 03-06-2016 at 03:54 AM.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe in appleyacks.

Ever had an actual conversation with God?

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by applejacks View Post
    Morally, we all know it's wrong to lie, steal, cheat, murder. We all believe in justice. We all desire to extend compassion. These come from God in perfect balance.
    Not all of us.

How about this explanation:

(First off: Let's assume human traits are (at least in part) hereditary. This is not such a strange thing to assume, as children do tend to resemble their parents not only physically, but also regarding their personalities.)

Over the course of history, people always had to rely on cooperation with fellow humans. Sometimes to a greater, sometimes to a lesser extent, but it was always necessary. However, some personality traits (for example lying, stealing, cheating, murdering) proved to be problematic in the community and people were aware of that. As a consequence, people who excessively made use of these destructive actions were shunned and had smaller chances to find a mate and have children. And even if they managed to reproduce, their children (if they resembled their parent regarding their personality) would have a difficult time as well to be included in the community, mate and reproduce.

However, if a person instinctively resented stealing and murdering, they would be regarded as a positive influence on the community. This would cause them to have less problems finding a mate and the support of the community. That means that their attitude towards destructive behaviors would, at some point, dominate over the more uncritical or indifferent opinions. And because many people share these sentiments, it appears as if god has ingrained these values in our minds. But in fact, our moralities would just be the result of trial & error over the course of millions of years.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No, because it really just doesn't hold up against modern science. (speaking mainly against christianity since it is the most relevant here in USA) :

The earth is clearly not 6000 years old, as carbon dating, fossil records and general study of the earth show.

Numerous contradictions in the bible that can read about here- http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html

General absurdity in the bible, like people living to be 900 years old. (I'm pretty sure your brain would run out of memory capacity after 300 years)

Genetic records of animals show no bottleneck in the genepool that would of had to of happened after the great flood

How it happens to align itself a little too conveniently with the interest of ancient societies and governments, like forbidding adultery for example.

The fact the there how been thousands of religions that contradict the others' existence. If so many seemingly convincing religions have to be bullshit then there is nothing to say that they can't all be bullshit.
    Last edited by Muddy; 03-06-2016 at 01:35 PM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It is oxymoronic to say there is evidence of the supernatural. Any such observation would by definition be a natural phenomenon, and there is no reason to think that nature can be transcended.

The Abrahamic texts are full of situations which would be classified as lying, stealing, cheating, and murder if they were ordered by another god, or by a person of a different religion. You only have to remember how the god of the Old Testament rewarded Jacob after cheating his brother of his birthright, and how that god ordered the genocide of neighbouring tribes so that the Israelites might steal their land. Or how Jesus lied when he said he would not go to a feast, but then went anyway, or how god is even recorded as making others lie for his own purpose.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddytextures View Post
    No, because it really just doesn't hold up against modern science. (speaking mainly against christianity since it is the most relevant here in USA) :

The earth is clearly not 6000 years old, as carbon dating, fossil records and general study of the earth show.

Numerous contradictions in the bible that can read about here- http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html

General absurdity in the bible, like people living to be 900 years old. (I'm pretty sure your brain would run out of memory capacity after 300 years)

Genetic records of animals show no bottleneck in the genepool that would of had to of happened after the great flood

How it happens to align itself a little too conveniently with the interest of ancient societies and governments, like forbidding adultery for example.

The fact the there how been thousands of religions that contradict the others' existence. If so many seemingly convincing religions have to be bullshit then there is nothing to say that they can't all be bullshit.
    Catholicism treats much of that as allegories and parables

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Catholicism treats much of that as allegories and parables
    All of those mentioned in the post are less implausible than god.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    All of those mentioned in the post are less implausible than god.
    /chases you with a stick

Go do some yard work or something lol

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I woke up with some of these thoughts but didn't get much sleep so I might clean them up later. I am still drifting in and out while typing this. Post is inspired by @applejacks post about prayer. It is not meant to diminish her experience in any way so I hope she doesn't feel that I am attacking her faith. <3

I have had 3 interruptions while writing this. The TV apparently has a mind of it's own today and keeps turning itself off (oooh,spooky ghosts, of my mind, I suspect are effecting the tv. ). After I turn it on again I remember more and this has turned out much longer than I intended.

When I was an Orthodox Christian I prayed directly to god and cut out all the middle men. My prayers big and small were answered but many were not. My mom told me to pray and let it be or do something about it. Otherwise I had no control of outcome. I was still a very young child then and wasn't sure what she meant but I started to have doubts about the whole religious thing. No one answered my questions to my satisfaction. "Too young to understand "was not an answer to me and it was insulting. It just made me upset and find crafty ways to get my answers. I eavesdropped on adult conversations and got a huge education in the ways of adults that way.

When I was around 12 I met the "born-agains" I also became a born again Christian (later) since their offer seemed win/sin/win. I could never be sent to hell once born again was the way it was presented and having been through hell with my aunt this was all I needed to hear. I did this all behind my mom's back. I started taking a bus (bus driver turned out to be a huge baptist pervert who volunteered to drive a church bus. I never saw him go inside) to a church with my friends who were all just as messed up as me. You would think parents would be happy to hear that we were all going to church instead of getting into other things. If they only know what went on. No one asked our parents permission to take us there or other places. They just picked up street kids and took them to church. It seems so wrong when I think about it. I would flip out if someone did that to a child of mine without telling me. Pervy bus driver would entice us to join his church. It was an old converted school bus.

Most of our parents didn't know where we were and most of their parents didn't care. At first it was just for fun, kissing boys on the back of the bus or behind the church. Pervy bus driver never tried to stop it. He helped my sister and me a lot. He personally chauffeured us around town, bought us tickets to movies and other events. If we called and asked for fast food he would bring it right over. He never stayed and he never touched us. He drove me around town at midnight if I asked. I would sneak out and have him take me to my bf. I knew him for a few years and I knew how to manipulate him sweetly or by getting angry and bossing him around. I think he liked it that way. He wanted me to be bossy. I even had him pay for my best friend. This was all when I was around 12. I think he was in love with me. A few years later he did try to touch me when I was 15. I went to his house because he wanted to give me some money. Fortunately I had a friend with me and when he grabbed me (first time ever) I flipped out on him and pushed him away forcefully. First time he ever scared me and my friend as well. He gave me the money and said I was old enough to know this would not go on any longer. I stopped calling or taking his calls after that. I thought he was an answer to a prayer when I was a child and maybe he was. Does that mean god also works through perverts? It is said he works in mysterious ways.

At some point I got really interested in the whole born again thing and wanted to live the life. Changed churches and I started praying through Jesus. Apparently I was not supposed to be talking to the big guy (I had no clue. My mom didn't teach me that!), again, many of my prayers were answered by adding "in Jesus name" at the end. But this time, when they weren't, the reason I was given was. "God knew what was best for me and I must accept it". I wasn't really given a reason why they weren't when I was a child. Yet I started thinking god is jealous I am praying to Jesus. It was much easier praying directly to god.

Various other forms of christianity explored during this time (Pentecostal scared me as a younger child, met them before the born agains, btw) but my prayers were still being answered frequently and if they weren't I was told by various people they were being answered by twisting reality. They wanted me to see things that weren't' there and if I didn't it must be my fault in some way... punishment for a bad deed or whatever (loving god parent was just withholding affection and comfort because I was being bad). When I started to question why my frivolous prayers were answered (some by those people doing things for me that I prayed for) but some of the important stuff was being ignored, I was told I lacked faith. Many nightmare hellish experiences during this time. "Demon attacks" that I was told I brought on. Didn't know to interpret it as fighting my own inner demons at the time.

Then I shifted to new age metaphysical stuff and stopped using the word god or even giving god any acknowledgment for ever existing. Arguing with christians and being generally angry. I prayed to my spirit guides and multiple gods of old (Viking and Greek) during this time. Got really into goddesses and ET gods who were really helpful it seemed. Life got way better and I was happy for awhile. I seemed to be getting all my prayers answered. My anger faded the more I explored this and Eastern religions and philosophies. I became sweeter and kinder while looking for inner peace. Inner peace was not my thing though but thanks to my sister I know how to achieve it if I want to. I hate to meditate by the way so I could not explore it as long as I could have. To me meditating would just be listening to music, binaural beats or staring at beautiful scenery out in nature and not clearing my mind. I like to let my thoughts and feelings flow. I enjoy the various images I see and my mind is never blank for long because something comes along and fills it. I could not be buddhist. I gave it a try for a very short time. Not me.

Lots of various other philosophies followed including atheistic (I don't consider myself an atheist since it is too rigid for my brain to accept). I had completely stopped being angry at god during this time as a lot of atheists seemed to be, so I started arguing with them too. Lots of times playing devil's advocate. hahah I was in an in-between state and at some point around this time I had a complete spiritual breakdown where I absolutely knew there was no personal god. I also stopped praying to spirit guides or anything else. I started using creative visualization and it worked as well as the prayers. If my car was/is acting strangely I will talk to it. "She" will "tell me" what she needs if I am paying attention. Sometimes I randomly say into the air, "if anyone is watching out for me this would be a good time to step in". I sometimes ask my dead friends and relatives for advice and they answer me in creative ways.

Now if I want a specific outcome I try not to doubt it and do whatever I can to make it come to be. I am better able to differentiate things in my power and the things that are not. I don't pray for someone to live or get well. If it is important enough I do what I can to help them get well. If I know it is over and they are dying, I accept that is the natural cycle of life. If they get better it is their own will to live and not an intervening entity. This was the biggest revelation ever and one of the most freeing and scary. Still one of the hardest things to accept when you are in the midst of it.

I kind of believe that praying for others, without their desire for you to do so, is imposing your will on them and I learned that the hard way. I didn't want to hear that my wanting others to live, or do something I wanted them to do, then praying for it was being selfish on my part. Thank you to an ILI for that bit of info. If someone cares for me I would rather have their good vibes directed at me and not them pushing for me to change to fit their ideal. That kind of energy is actually oppressive. I can't breathe around those people who want me to be what they want me to be. Their prayers are like a pillow over my face, energetically speaking. I am not opposed to people who say they will pray for me when I know that they are only sending me good vibes and have no expectations for me.

Most people have said I was lucky. Lucky to have so many prayers and wishes come true over the years. They wondered how I could not believe god was there for me. Yes, great and amazing things have happened to me, right place, right time, situations and I can't help but feel I am blessed in many ways. I have walked away from accidents and robberies where others were not lucky. People give me things. Lots of things and as recently as last week I got a really nice fridge fully stocked with brand new unopened food when an elderly couple my brother worked for moved state. We also got a weight bench and free weights. Another neighbor recently moved a couple blocks away and gave me a treadmill she had paid a $1000 for, lots of expensive paintings, 3 chandeliers, other little but expensive things. She is also old and wanted to downsize without the hassle of selling stuff. In a couple of weeks I have been given $1000s of dollars worth of items even though I personally did nothing for them. Some of the stuff, like the fridge I have been planning to buy so now I have it in the garage where I have wanted it. I also wanted to redo my garage and make it more of a proper and comfortable gym. I had inherited gym equipment before and now with this I am motivated to do it. My friend and brother will do it for free. I didn't pray for this stuff but I did want it and I put the thoughts out there to the universe. A lot of it I will give to others to keep the flow going but some of it I will sell (the paintings).

I have been given cars, money, expensive clothes and even diamonds. You name it. I don't ask for these things either but in my mind I know when I want something bad enough that it will find a way. I am not bragging here because I am still shocked and awed at the generosity I have experience and I want to spread it around. I give to people and in part it is because I noticed (long ago) the more I give, the more that is given to me and not always material stuff. I am not that materialistic but I am grateful for what I have. Maybe it is some kind of cosmic karma to balance out all the bad. If I am kind to others most are kind to me. Maybe not even the person I am being kind to. They can be a complete jerk but someone else will make up for it.

There were many abusive people in the churches I tried out. They were a big part of why I walked away and have not looked back but I am very aware that my good or bad experiences with it are just that, mine. I know that there is not an abuser in every christian, just waiting to come out. Those people would be the same with or without religion. Many of them just flock to religion for redemption or hope like anyone else. I find all that in nature and the supernatural connections and experience of my own mind. I have talked to many ghosts over the years and none have told me that they are hanging with god. God doesn't even come up that I can recall. I guess I could ask but I think my family would have told me something so important. None of them talk about burning in hell so that is a good sign. For those thinking it, what I talk to are not demons. Demons are just our own fear manifested. I meet them in dreams. They are quite easy to defeat in a lucid dream but if not lucid it can be scary. I always end up escaping them lucid or not. I wake up unnerved but usually feel a weight lifted as I go about my day. If I can interpret my dream I fine especially when it helps with real life problems. Those are my personal demons.

In conclusion many of my prayers have been answered as well but I could have prayed to a lamp with the same outcome if I believed it. Spirit guides and aliens were just as accommodating as god or jesus. It was all just me making things happen or not. I don't always know exactly what I did to get what I needed or wanted but subconsciously I made the choices that lead to many favorable outcomes. Of course in hindsight it is easier to interpret. When my "prayer" went unanswered it was because I was unable to influence the situation or I made the wrong choices.

Prayers for other people were limited to praying for their health and happiness and I still send warm vibes to people I care about. I don't call them prayers and it is mostly an energy not something consciously arranged into words. They say they can feel it. Sometimes out of nowhere I will just tell them how I feel about them even if I barely know them. I want some people to know how they are appreciated even if I don't make an effort to talk to them much. Some of those people can energetically affect my mood just by seeing their name or they show up at the right moment and I feel uplifted and want to give some back.

*I also am not above sending bad energy back to the sender by blocking it. I don't wish them any bad things. I just ask that their negativity be returned to them. All this stuff works if you believe it will. I have gotten my own negativity back when I had bad feelings toward some one. I usually know this is happening because I will stub my toe and it really hurts. I then give myself an attitude adjustment. I am always in a grumpy mood before I stub my toe. Snaps me right out of it after I scream.
    Last edited by Aylen; 03-06-2016 at 07:09 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goddidit.
    Well, that may very well be true.

But, in the bible, Jesus' father was a carpenter, and he showed Jesus how to make stuff from wood, not because wood is just that great, but because doing so was the best way he had to show his family that he loved them. Eventually, Jesus' father passed away or disappeared to parts unknown. At the end of his days, when things looked most grim, and he didn't know how to show his love, Jesus looked again to his father, and did as he said, and did as he did... Put two pieces of wood together, and showed others how much he loved them.

My dad told me to do yard work and take care of my stuff. May seem goofy to me at times, but he says such things, because that's what he has to offer for his love. So, I begrudgingly do it, because I love him back. One day, he'll be gone, and I'll remember him and do as he did, because I love him, and in one way or another, I will eventually become him, and put two pieces of wood together, because I am my father's son.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Goddidit.
    ???

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I woke up with some of these thoughts but didn't get much sleep so I might clean them up later. I am still drifting in and out while typing this. Post is inspired by @applejacks post about prayer. It is not meant to diminish her experience in any way so I hope she doesn't feel that I am attacking her faith. <3

I have had 3 interruptions while writing this. The TV apparently has a mind of it's own today and keeps turning itself off (oooh,spooky ghosts, of my mind, I suspect are effecting the tv. ). After I turn it on again I remember more and this has turned out much longer than I intended.

When I was an Orthodox Christian I prayed directly to god and cut out all the middle men. My prayers big and small were answered but many were not. My mom told me to pray and let it be or do something about it. Otherwise I had no control of outcome. I was still a very young child then and wasn't sure what she meant but I started to have doubts about the whole religious thing. No one answered my questions to my satisfaction. "Too young to understand "was not an answer to me and it was insulting. It just made me upset and find crafty ways to get my answers. I eavesdropped on adult conversations and got a huge education in the ways of adults that way.

When I was around 12 I met the "born-agains" I also became a born again Christian (later) since their offer seemed win/sin/win. I could never be sent to hell once born again was the way it was presented and having been through hell with my aunt this was all I needed to hear. I did this all behind my mom's back. I started taking a bus (bus driver turned out to be a huge baptist pervert who volunteered to drive a church bus. I never saw him go inside) to a church with my friends who were all just as messed up as me. You would think parents would be happy to hear that we were all going to church instead of getting into other things. If they only know what went on. No one asked our parents permission to take us there or other places. They just picked up street kids and took them to church. It seems so wrong when I think about it. I would flip out if someone did that to a child of mine without telling me. Pervy bus driver would entice us to join his church. It was an old converted school bus.

Most of our parents didn't know where we were and most of their parents didn't care. At first it was just for fun, kissing boys on the back of the bus or behind the church. Pervy bus driver never tried to stop it. He helped my sister and me a lot. He personally chauffeured us around town, bought us tickets to movies and other events. If we called and asked for fast food he would bring it right over. He never stayed and he never touched us. He drove me around town at midnight if I asked. I would sneak out and have him take me to my bf. I knew him for a few years and I knew how to manipulate him sweetly or by getting angry and bossing him around. I think he liked it that way. He wanted me to be bossy. I even had him pay for my best friend. This was all when I was around 12. I think he was in love with me. A few years later he did try to touch me when I was 15. I went to his house because he wanted to give me some money. Fortunately I had a friend with me and when he grabbed me (first time ever) I flipped out on him and pushed him away forcefully. First time he ever scared me and my friend as well. He gave me the money and said I was old enough to know this would not go on any longer. I stopped calling or taking his calls after that. I thought he was an answer to a prayer when I was a child and maybe he was. Does that mean god also works through perverts? It is said he works in mysterious ways.

At some point I got really interested in the whole born again thing and wanted to live the life. Changed churches and I started praying through Jesus. Apparently I was not supposed to be talking to the big guy (I had no clue. My mom didn't teach me that!), again, many of my prayers were answered by adding "in Jesus name" at the end. But this time, when they weren't, the reason I was given was. "God knew what was best for me and I must accept it". I wasn't really given a reason why they weren't when I was a child. Yet I started thinking god is jealous I am praying to Jesus. It was much easier praying directly to god.

Various other forms of christianity explored during this time (Pentecostal scared me as a younger child, met them before the born agains, btw) but my prayers were still being answered frequently and if they weren't I was told by various people they were being answered by twisting reality. They wanted me to see things that weren't' there and if I didn't it must be my fault in some way... punishment for a bad deed or whatever (loving god parent was just withholding affection and comfort because I was being bad). When I started to question why my frivolous prayers were answered (some by those people doing things for me that I prayed for) but some of the important stuff was being ignored, I was told I lacked faith. Many nightmare hellish experiences during this time. "Demon attacks" that I was told I brought on. Didn't know to interpret it as fighting my own inner demons at the time.

Then I shifted to new age metaphysical stuff and stopped using the word god or even giving god any acknowledgment for ever existing. Arguing with christians and being generally angry. I prayed to my spirit guides and multiple gods of old (Viking and Greek) during this time. Got really into goddesses and ET gods who were really helpful it seemed. Life got way better and I was happy for awhile. I seemed to be getting all my prayers answered. My anger faded the more I explored this and Eastern religions and philosophies. I became sweeter and kinder while looking for inner peace. Inner peace was not my thing though but thanks to my sister I know how to achieve it if I want to. I hate to meditate by the way so I could not explore it as long as I could have. To me meditating would just be listening to music, binaural beats or staring at beautiful scenery out in nature and not clearing my mind. I like to let my thoughts and feelings flow. I enjoy the various images I see and my mind is never blank for long because something comes along and fills it. I could not be buddhist. I gave it a try for a very short time. Not me.

Lots of various other philosophies followed including atheistic (I don't consider myself an atheist since it is too rigid for my brain to accept). I had completely stopped being angry at god during this time as a lot of atheists seemed to be, so I started arguing with them too. Lots of times playing devil's advocate. hahah I was in an in-between state and at some point around this time I had a complete spiritual breakdown where I absolutely knew there was no personal god. I also stopped praying to spirit guides or anything else. I started using creative visualization and it worked as well as the prayers. If my car was/is acting strangely I will talk to it. "She" will "tell me" what she needs if I am paying attention. Sometimes I randomly say into the air, "if anyone is watching out for me this would be a good time to step in". I sometimes ask my dead friends and relatives for advice and they answer me in creative ways.

Now if I want a specific outcome I try not to doubt it and do whatever I can to make it come to be. I am better able to differentiate things in my power and the things that are not. I don't pray for someone to live or get well. If it is important enough I do what I can to help them get well. If I know it is over and they are dying, I accept that is the natural cycle of life. If they get better it is their own will to live and not an intervening entity. This was the biggest revelation ever and one of the most freeing and scary. Still one of the hardest things to accept when you are in the midst of it.

I kind of believe that praying for others, without their desire for you to do so, is imposing your will on them and I learned that the hard way. I didn't want to hear that my wanting others to live, or do something I wanted them to do, then praying for it was being selfish on my part. Thank you to an ILI for that bit of info. If someone cares for me I would rather have their good vibes directed at me and not them pushing for me to change to fit their ideal. That kind of energy is actually oppressive. I can't breathe around those people who want me to be what they want me to be. Their prayers are like a pillow over my face, energetically speaking. I am not opposed to people who say they will pray for me when I know that they are only sending me good vibes and have no expectations for me.

Most people have said I was lucky. Lucky to have so many prayers and wishes come true over the years. They wondered how I could not believe god was there for me. Yes, great and amazing things have happened to me, right place, right time, situations and I can't help but feel I am blessed in many ways. I have walked away from accidents and robberies where others were not lucky. People give me things. Lots of things and as recently as last week I got a really nice fridge fully stocked with brand new unopened food when an elderly couple my brother worked for moved state. We also got a weight bench and free weights. Another neighbor recently moved a couple blocks away and gave me a treadmill she had paid a $1000 for, lots of expensive paintings, 3 chandeliers, other little but expensive things. She is also old and wanted to downsize without the hassle of selling stuff. In a couple of weeks I have been given $1000s of dollars worth of items even though I personally did nothing for them. Some of the stuff, like the fridge I have been planning to buy so now I have it in the garage where I have wanted it. I also wanted to redo my garage and make it more of a proper and comfortable gym. I had inherited gym equipment before and now with this I am motivated to do it. My friend and brother will do it for free. I didn't pray for this stuff but I did want it and I put the thoughts out there to the universe. A lot of it I will give to others to keep the flow going but some of it I will sell (the paintings).

I have been given cars, money, expensive clothes and even diamonds. You name it. I don't ask for these things either but in my mind I know when I want something bad enough that it will find a way. I am not bragging here because I am still shocked and awed at the generosity I have experience and I want to spread it around. I give to people and in part it is because I noticed (long ago) the more I give, the more that is given to me and not always material stuff. I am not that materialistic but I am grateful for what I have. Maybe it is some kind of cosmic karma to balance out all the bad. If I am kind to others most are kind to me. Maybe not even the person I am being kind to. They can be a complete jerk but someone else will make up for it.

There were many abusive people in the churches I tried out. They were a big part of why I walked away and have not looked back but I am very aware that my good or bad experiences with it are just that, mine. I know that there is not an abuser in every christian, just waiting to come out. Those people would be the same with or without religion. Many of them just flock to religion for redemption or hope like anyone else. I find all that in nature and the supernatural connections and experience of my own mind. I have talked to many ghosts over the years and none have told me that they are hanging with god. God doesn't even come up that I can recall. I guess I could ask but I think my family would have told me something so important. None of them talk about burning in hell so that is a good sign. For those thinking it, what I talk to are not demons. Demons are just our own fear manifested. I meet them in dreams. They are quite easy to defeat in a lucid dream but if not lucid it can be scary. I always end up escaping them lucid or not. I wake up unnerved but usually feel a weight lifted as I go about my day. If I can interpret my dream I fine especially when it helps with real life problems. Those are my personal demons.

In conclusion many of my prayers have been answered as well but I could have prayed to a lamp with the same outcome if I believed it. Spirit guides and aliens were just as accommodating as god or jesus. It was all just me making things happen or not. I don't always know exactly what I did to get what I needed or wanted but subconsciously I made the choices that lead to many favorable outcomes. Of course in hindsight it is easier to interpret. When my "prayer" went unanswered it was because I was unable to influence the situation or I made the wrong choices.

Prayers for other people were limited to praying for their health and happiness and I still send warm vibes to people I care about. I don't call them prayers and it is mostly an energy not something consciously arranged into words. They say they can feel it. Sometimes out of nowhere I will just tell them how I feel about them even if I barely know them. I want some people to know how they are appreciated even if I don't make an effort to talk to them much. Some of those people can energetically affect my mood just by seeing their name or they show up at the right moment and I feel uplifted and want to give some back.

*I also am not above sending bad energy back to the sender by blocking it. I don't wish them any bad things. I just ask that their negativity be returned to them. All this stuff works if you believe it will. I have gotten my own negativity back when I had bad feelings toward some one. I usually know this is happening because I will stub my toe and it really hurts. I then give myself an attitude adjustment. I am always in a grumpy mood before I stub my toe. Snaps me right out of it after I scream.
    I only read the first part and then half-ass skimmed over stuff.

Eastern Orthodox?

Born again Christian = sin/win/sin? My religion is pretty much "ask for forgiveness and you're forgiven" without having to label the "born again" stuff. In my experiences, though, born agains treat it less like "I'm forgiven" and more like "nope, I'm born again, so it never even actually happened." I suppose it's like the whole "forgive but not forget" thing, in that born agains act like they erased their actions in society. Mine is more like "God forgives and forgets, but you still need such from your brothers and sisters." There's is more like "what brothers and sisters? It's alllll about me. At least, that's the way they come across.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast