Thread: The Three Doshas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Three Doshas

I'm not sure if anyone has heard of the Doshas which is a Hindu belief that we are all balances of three basic forces. Vata Pitta and Kapha.

The idea works on the premise that each dosha controls an aspect of the universe and how it creates and destroys and so forth. You can be the judge though.

Also, apparently each dosha has physical characteristics which can help in identifying what dosha you are or what dosha someone else is.

It is interesting how down to earth it all is. You don't have to be one dosha, you can be a mix of all doshas. But When you are born you have a basic balance which, if offset, leads to health problems.

Now I have always agreed with this sort of approach because it is more intuitively based. I just thought it might be interesting to post this because it shares alot of qualities with Socionics. Something tells me there might even be some influence.

Some links:

http://ayurveda.iloveindia.com/prakr...ik-doshas.html

http://www.ayurbalance.com/explore_a...hreedoshas.htm

ooh, and look, there is a test, too! Wow!

http://www.drpaneri.com/diagnose.htm

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

::Gags::

That web-site off-balanced my doshas.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom has this huge book in Bengali filled with Ayurvedic treatments for common ailments. (She's a very devout Hindu.) Is anyone suffering a tummy ache? Mint does the trick. Common Cold? Ginger. MysticSonic seems to be suffering nausea. The book recomended eating oranges and citrons for that. I was wondering is the doshas would at all correspond with the types, but I decided not to go that route.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it really isn't possible to "integrate" if you look as socionics as something firmly structural. I think that it might help people to relax their approach though. It isn't really faith based as much as it is intuitive. I've always found the stuff interesting but not really easy to grasp with much certainty. I'm Vata, for example, which are characterized with a similar build to ENTp's. My mother is an ENFj and she is Pitta. Most ISFp's I know I'd consider Kapha. So I don't think it is really fair to call it nonesense, I see some interesting correlations.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares if there's correlations between SUPPOSED "types" and Socionic types, what does that mean? That the descriptions of the certain "types" seem similar to Socionic types? You're going off on a limb here.

Sorry, I'm having one of my more manic days, so....
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Creepy-Wady

Whoa, you are. I just thought it might be fun if people looked at it and see how it might have some things in common. It isn't like I'm writing a thesis on it. Settle down, nellie!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm... just curious, did you read through that material, Mystic? You scoffed the entire thing a full four minutes after Waddles posted the thread.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Evaluation of Sharirik Doshas
    According to Ayurveda, there are three primary energies, or doshas. The doshas are Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. These doshas regulate all physical and psychological behaviors, from basic cell structure to the most complex mental functions. Vata, Pitta and Kapha are the subtle forms of the three bhutas -air, fire and water. When the Doshas fall out of balance, disease may manifest. Ayurveda seeks to return the Doshas to and maintain them at their natural balance in our individual constitution."

And I see no evidence of such forces, even through my observations, nor does hearing about this strike any bells that might lead me to believe it is correct.

Perhaps on some far-reaching conceptual level there is some sort of manifestation of these three "doshas" that is observeable, but even then they are not the elementary forces within the universe. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic
    It just doesn't make sense to me.
    Fair enough. (But you didn't have to get all up in our faces about it!)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Err, in that last post, before the excerpt from the site, I mean to post: "I didn't read the entire thing, but I read this:"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Vedic and Hindu stuff is actually pretty interesting. what draws people away are the colorful drawings and smell of currie which seems to accompany. What is often overlooked is how much influence there is upon Buddhism... in many regards they are the same thing except, if I'm not mistaken, Buddhists choose to follow a personal path, whereas with hinduism it can sometimes turn into a form of idolatry in alot of ways.

All very cool though, cosmic, epic. The way I like it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The original form of Buddhism, the Therevadan form, is actually quite different, though there's no doubt that Buddhism was DERIVED from Hinduism, which is made all-the-more clearer to me after reading this, due to the language in which the terms were first formed in: Sanskrit.

At least, I think it's Sanskrit; if it's not, it's definately Pali.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Sanskrit. In fact, the term Ayurveda itself comes from the Sanskrit word for "knowledge": veda. (The Hindu religion is commonly referred to the vedic religion, because it's based on the Vedas.)

From what I've gathered, the path of "salvation" (to use the Christian word) in Hinduism is found by means of identifying with Brahman <- the ultimate reality in the eyes of the Hindus. By doing so, the concept of the individual is eliminated, and one is united with the underlying energy of the universe, thus freeing one's soul from samsara (the indefinate cycle of reincarnation). The "idol worship" you see in many temples is a bit more sophisticated by the complicated heirarchies and incestuous nature of the gods and goddesses <- all are representations of Brahman and as such are more personible means of identification. Yes, I know this is crazy talk to you, Mystic, but that's what religion is all about. Philosophically, this fits in with the idea of the "greater good" or the "ethical obligation" into which one sacrifices oneself - which is called dharma. There are parallels to Christianity and to Taoism, here.

In Buddhism, the concept of dharma (ethical obligation) is cast aside for the more utlimate goal - to reunite the Self with the surrounding world - thus achieving nirvana. Depending on what branch of Buddhism you follow, you may attain nirvana in a variety of ways - some choose to identify with primeval Chinese philosophy in which ancestor worship was common. Others see Gautama himself as a sort of "messiah" (akin to Jesus) and the path to enlightenment. Still others see any religious conviction as reason enough to free the soul from samsara.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, its all fascinating stuff.

It is an interesting thing to note the influence Hinduism has had on the world. Most people don't realize that Buddhism would not exist without Hinduism.

Another interesting although less politically correct thing about it is that Sanskrit is one of the older members of the Indo-European language family. The reason it is so politically incorrect is because the term "Aryan" was derived from these people. There are alot of amazing parallels between Hinduism(Vedism) and Greek, Nordic and Celtic mythology. Also you can see the changes that were made probably due to the aboriginal population that the ideas were diffused into. If I'm not mistaken the Dravidians or the Indus-River valley civilizations also had an impact on the interpretations of alot of the Vedic texts. I think that this is what caused the change from Vedism to Hinduism. In areas further east like Tibet and China and Japan you can also see changes made to the ideas in order to adapt to the populations- like each group alters the ideas in order to make then "fit" better with the populations. The flow of information.

Creepy-Monica

Default Re: The Three Doshas

Quote Originally Posted by Waddlesworth
    I'm not sure if anyone has heard of the Doshas which is a Hindu belief that we are all balances of three basic forces. Vata Pitta and Kapha.

The idea works on the premise that each dosha controls an aspect of the universe and how it creates and destroys and so forth. You can be the judge though.

Also, apparently each dosha has physical characteristics which can help in identifying what dosha you are or what dosha someone else is.

It is interesting how down to earth it all is. You don't have to be one dosha, you can be a mix of all doshas. But When you are born you have a basic balance which, if offset, leads to health problems.

Now I have always agreed with this sort of approach because it is more intuitively based. I just thought it might be interesting to post this because it shares alot of qualities with Socionics. Something tells me there might even be some influence.

Some links:

http://ayurveda.iloveindia.com/prakr...ik-doshas.html

http://www.ayurbalance.com/explore_a...hreedoshas.htm

ooh, and look, there is a test, too! Wow!

http://www.drpaneri.com/diagnose.htm

very interesting.

I know an infp that is doing reasearch on metabolic type and personality. And lately I've been into this type of stuff. I first came across Ayurveda then into the 25 body type system which stems from chinese medicine. I don't think that the two systems correlate directly but it explains a lot of "subtype" differences within each type. For instance, a pineal body type INFP would have different interests and body build in comparison to a INFP thyroid type.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I've always been fascinated by the parallels that emerge in language, culture, and religion. I found this a while back:

http://hinduism.about.com/library/weekly/aa122200a.htm

I think it's interesting, to say the least. Christians will probably burst into flame at reading it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Monica
    very interesting.

I know an infp that is doing reasearch on metabolic type and personality. And lately I've been into this type of stuff. I first came across Ayurveda then into the 25 body type system which stems from chinese medicine. I don't think that the two systems correlate directly but it explains a lot of "subtype" differences within each type. For instance, a pineal body type INFP would have different interests and body build in comparison to a INFP thyroid type.
    I'm not familiar with the 25-type system. You said INFp, though. I'm INFp. I'm intrigued. Tell me more!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to a hari krisna temple once ... totally weird; they had this big idol they fed and clothed all day long and they lit these odd smelling incense candles. The walls had odd deformed creatures on them and some of them had diffrent parts with multiple heads.

I did like the food they ate, though, totally vegitarian; they have some sort of fear of eating a dead realitive or something, and that was the main motivation for that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    I went to a hari krisna temple once ...
    You just witnessed what is called a cult. The Hare Krishna's scare me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A professor said once that the Krishna movement was a strategy born in the 19th century in order to recruit the sympathy to the colonial subjects of India by the youth of the British elite. I don't think it is really a "true" interpretation, that is, it had an alterior motive.

This explanation could be true, could not be, I don't know.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we all stayed up from 2-5 am to write about an intuitive concept that will just end up making Socionics worse off than it already is? MysticSonic, don't you have school to go to?
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one else shared, but I will:

Vata: 12
    Pitta: 23
    Kapha: 6

Type: entp

Now, is there to be correlational data??
    Entp
    ILE

Creepy-wadz

I wasn't up at 5! that timer is off.

look, I never said that this stuff was real, it's just GENERALly interesting to have a DISCUSSION about.

And this stuff does have some foundation. It categorizes people based upon characteristics, and interestingly these characteristics tend to coincide with one another. That is, a person is likely to have more qualities in one specific category than another.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"MysticSonic, don't you have school to go to?"

Busy watching anime and talking about things that will never be of use to me in real life, ever.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 12, 12, 8.

Creepy-waddie

Mystic, life is just beginning for you... I don't know if its going to get any better.

but hey, maybe the world will fall apart and there will be epic battles and so forth, as well as more cool looking explosions comparable to 9-11 and flooded cities in ruins like Nawlins(god rest their souls). Hey, could happen.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, tell me what this means:

Vatta: 19
    Pitta: 11
    Kapha: 3
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've read, Vata temperament means that you need a lot of centering to feel good. The essense is cold, dry, windy. You counteract this with meditation, comfort food, moisture, warmth; this is for balance, which is at the heart of yogic philosophy.
    Entp
    ILE

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    No one else shared, but I will:

Vata: 12
    Pitta: 23

Type: entp

Now, is there to be correlational data??
    Maybe, but we were somewhat close ...

Vata: 6
    Pitta: 18

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, I like this one ... not only does it have a professional design, it told me that to become balanced I must endure loads and loads of passionate sex. Well, that is not happening, so I guess it is rather accurate in that aspect.

http://tridosha.com/questions.cfm

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that test better, rmcnew. It separates the physical from the psychological. I came out with Pitta for physical and Vata for psychological and so did hubby.
    Entp
    ILE