Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Birds

Rationals vs Irrationals?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a night owl with regular sleeping habits.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

generally night owl. can be a morning bird if need be.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the most ridiculous thread I've seen in a while.

That said, I can be either. I've been getting up between 5:30 and 6:00 for a couple of months now, and I like it. I like staying up late, but I feel absolutely shitty when I do. If I get up early every morning my sleep habits are comfortable and I feel better overall.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm...there are a LOT of different time zones encompassed in this forum. That can't be an accurate reflection of what local times people typically post at (unless you went through a LOT of trouble to compile that list )
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Birds

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    Morning birds:
    Expat
    tcaudillg
    UDP III
    oyburger
    Diana
    Kristiina
    Smilingeyes
    Sergei Ganin

Night owls:
    XoX
    Jonathan
    niffweed17
    Jarno
    Craizymaisy
    Slacker Mom
    FDG
    GillySaysGoodbye
    Rocky
    KSpin
    Rick
    Dmitri Lytov
    You should take into account the time zone. I am not a Night Owl by any means lol.

Usually I sleep 6 hours a night and when I don't party too much those are stably from 00:00 to 6:00, with a variation of half an hour. I hate to go to sleep late because I know that I won't function well the next day.

My overall energy pattern is at its highest during the morning and at its lowest around 5:00 pm. I would say that I am probably the most morning-birdy among my acquaintances, that seem to be somewhat sleepy during the morning.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to turn into a morning bird soon. Starting tonight. I got a place to live a couple days ago and I need to start fixing it up. Staining, painting, box building. It's going to be a pretty cool summer.
    asd

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nonononononoooooo. I'm not a morning bird! I'm a total night owl. I go to sleep at about 1 am and I wake up at about 9 or 10 usually. If you calculated it from some forum logs, just know that I'm on the other side of planet earth so the sun is in a different place and the clock shows different times. Just because I post when it's morning for you, doesn't mean that it's morning for me.

Nice effort though.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.nightowlnet.com/archive05.htm

http://www.nightowlnet.com/archive03.htm

http://www.nightowlnet.com/archive04.htm

How many of the persons I have listed think that they belong there? How many think that they belong in the other group? Anyone else who think that they know in which group they belong?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm up most mornings by 7 and in bed most nights by 10:30. I don't think that makes me a night owl. LOL
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by those definition, definitely morning bird. I can stay awake all night if I'm at a social event or a date, but I cannot if I'm just hanging out with people, i get very sleepy
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

phaedrus clearly got me in the right category.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol

You seriously think that's type related? Especially in connection to something irrationality/rationality???
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    You seriously think that's type related? Especially in connection to something irrationality/rationality???
    That's what I want to find out. I can't dismiss it right away, because almost every single person that I have made a thorough typing of in real life seem to fit very neatly into that grouping along the rationality/irrationality dimension. Is there a clear pattern there or not? The hypothesis can rather easily be falsified if we take it seriously. If we fail to falsify it, the consequences are very interesting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty much in the night owl category. However, sometimes I am very alert in the morning too. I may get sleepy in the middle of the day. But then I catch a 2nd wind and am often most alert late in the evening.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm a night owl - my parents are too, and they are both judging types (it's half past one in the morning here, us three are still awake, but my perceiving brother went to bed two hours ago, which is completely contrary to the theory ).

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This pretty much makes it impossible for rationals to be programmers.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    It pretty much makes it impossible for rationals to be collegiate students.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    *smirk*

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ha.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think its type related, but its definately got some element of genetics in it, and probably a degree of social conditioning to it aswell.

Im totally a night owl, I never get to sleep before 2am, even if I have to get up the next day, if I miss sleep I just make it up by sleeping in when I can, usually on the weekends

Can I also add that night time has an inherrent beauty to it, maybe its my Si tinted glasses, but the lack of ambient noise, the 'timelessness' of dark and the calm of night is really nice.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Staying up late is not related to genetics or type. It's related to inventions. Namely electricity and the lightbulb. With these two implements and their implements we have light available at all times. Unfortunately your mind isn't complex enough to register artifical light from sunlight, so you trick it all the same. Go to bed.
    asd

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether being a night owl or an early bird is due to genetics or due to social conditioning is not an issue here. You are born either way, so it has nothing to do with social conditioning, and it has nothing to do with inventions. You cannot change your natural preference here, but you can of course change your sleeping habits. You can decide to stay up late or get up early as a part of your daily routine, but that is not what this is all about.

This dichotomy is about two things primarily: the natural rise and fall of your body temperature, and whether your "biological clock" is set for a day and night cycle that is roughly 24 hours or slightly less (early birds), or whether it is set for more than 24 hours (night owls). That results in a typical pattern. The early birds have a more stable day and night cycle with a higher body temperature early in the day and a relatively lower when they go to bed. The day and night cycle of the night owls tend to get stretched out more and more, since they have a natural born tendency to stay up later and later in the night, sometimes resulting in a total switch -- they go to bed in the morning and get up in the night. The night owls also prefer to work later in the day or in the night, and their body temperature tend to be lower when they wake up and at being at its peak later in the day or even when they go to bed.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    Staying up late is not related to genetics or type. It's related to inventions. Namely electricity and the lightbulb. With these two implements and their implements we have light available at all times. Unfortunately your mind isn't complex enough to register artifical light from sunlight, so you trick it all the same. Go to bed.
    ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got top marks in college while still maintaining my dorky bed time.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its true that the light bulb is an artificial thing that our bodies arnt acustomed to, but it does a fairly good job at dealing with it. I like lying in late and staying up at night though, so I wont go to bed hehe. The time here now is 3.57am
    Friendly ISTp
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

without artificial light your lifestyle would be impractical. You would starve and die because you didn't wake up and go to work while you had light available. This assumes you would be a proletariat. No offense.
    asd

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

without artificial light your lifestyle would be impractical. You would starve and die because you didn't wake up and go to work while you had light available. This assumes you would be a proletariat. No offense.

while this is obviously true, this is completely irrelevant in the context of the question as it relates to how humans have adapted to modern society and technology. if you ignore these adaptations and the influences that they have had on human culture and society, then you ignore every cultural advancement of the past three hundred years. obviously everything is, ultimately, dependent on sources of artificial light, but in the long run that's really not a significant factor in this discussion at all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was my refutation to the claim that type and bird-ness are related. Also a refutation to the idea of us being born to be a night owl or an early bird.

What is the discussion about anyway? These threads really lose their meaning after the first post.
    asd

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was my refutation to the claim that type and bird-ness are related. Also a refutation to the idea of us being born to be a night owl or an early bird.
    You call that a refutation!??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You call that a refutation!??
    what can i say? I'm not very good at debate. With this understanding of myself comes the knowledge that I won't win arguments over things outside of my control, and will never feel any satisfaction crushing an internet foe.
    asd

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after staying up late and waking up late for about 3/4 of my life, and having trouble getting up early my entire life, i have become less capable of staying up late without crashing and generally feeling of ill health. Does this mean I am a morning bird? I will always have trouble waking up too early, but I do value sleep, even though I wish I didn't need it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    after staying up late and waking up late for about 3/4 of my life, and having trouble getting up early my entire life, i have become less capable of staying up late without crashing and generally feeling of ill health. Does this mean I am a morning bird?
    No. Observe the rise and fall of your body temperature. Observe if your natural day and night cycle is longer than 24 hours or not. (If you really want to be sure, that can be determined in a sleep laboratory.)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm both I guess. I never get to sleep before midnight-1am and I always wake up around 6am on work days and 7-8am on days when I'm off work. Rarely will I sleep in until 9 and if that does happen it's only once every two weeks or so. i couldn't say when I function the best since I tend to feel about the same most of the time...lol

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the discussion about anyway? These threads really lose their meaning after the first post.

yah, the idea that they are genetically inherent is pretty insane.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I'm a Night Owl

Damn it's 01.50...

goodnight everybody :wink:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a quick read, will take you 5 mins

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2996364.stm

I think there clearly is a genetic element to it, but dont think its type related.
    Friendly ISTp

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flower
    I think there clearly is a genetic element to it, but dont think its type related.
    It would be very, very strange if it wasn't a genetic element to it, and it is not unlikely that it is type related too, one way or the other, because we only have about 30 000 genes or so, which means that many aspects of our personality and behaviour must be correlated with other traits. There is no room for one trait per gene. One single gene has to take care of more than one trait.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast