Thread: BrainTypes - typology and motor skills

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BrainTypes - typology and motor skills

http://www.braintypes.com/body_skills.htm
    http://www.braintypes.com/questionsandanswers.htm

This guy apparently uses MBTI acronyms (though they don't seem to have the same inverted J-P for introverts) to define brain/psychological types and, interestingly, applies them to assess a person's natural motor skills. He became well known for consulting general managers in pro american sports. If anyone knows of this or cares to read through the incessant neon highlighting in the Q&A section, what is your critique of his ideas and, if they are feasible, could this be another tool for socionics VI?

Creepy-

I liked the tools he used in typing people.

But I don't understand one thing, why does he SUCK at typing people. I mean he has a lot of innovative ideas, but I guess he doesn't know how to use them.

He admitted that he often mistypes people. For instance, he initially typed Ryan Leaf as ISTP, then later decided that he was ESTJ.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know about initially typing Ryan Leaf as ISTP, but he dishes out type hastily when put on the spot (i.e. on TV), which is stupid and goes against his supposed need for integrity and professionalism in his work.

Creepy-

In an interview, he talked about how he had watched Ryan Leaf play and talked to him a bit...as a result he concluded that Ryan was an ISTP. But after further investigation discovered he was most likely ESTJ.

I think that he's only been hired by two teams (???)...so he is probably able to type them better. His other type "guesses" of celebrities are a hit and miss. Some right, others wrong.

He's methods are unique and innovative. His typing methods probably work better after doing ALL of his "lab" work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. Read the Q&A section to see how socionics could even have a chance of marketing itself in America. He's doing everything right for the hypersceptical market: first anticipating and responding to skeptics, then couching it in brain-centered reductionist terminologies, then using the all-ideas-were-silly-once argument, emphasizing the we-are-all-unique-snowflakes-regardless-of-our-type point of view, distancing itself from eugenics-remeniscent Bell Curve scariness, etc etc.

Somehow I doubt there is a Russian socioncis book that when translated to English would have any chance of cracking the American mind open. It would take a book written specifically for that purpose.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Brain Types

Quote Originally Posted by fever
    Since your dad is a neurologist (i think that is what u said?), have u mentioned socionics to him? if so, what does he think about it?
    Yes I have (and BrainTypes). I actually showed him the BrainTypes website to see what he had to say about it. He was very critical and skeptical at first. One of the things that they have on the website is this:

http://braintypes.com/eeg.htm

What that is is showing brain scans. They hook up electrodes to your head, and the different number/letters you see on the left side of the chart tells you where the electrodes were placed. They also mention those "Alpha" waves. Apparently, what those are are waves in the back of the brain which cause people to reflect on the outside world. In other words, it's Introversion. Another thing that was interesting that my Dad told me about those "Alpha" waves is that not everybody has them. Anyway, this is one thing that the website has attributed to "Introversion", and my Dad started to agree that it made sense.

As for people being born with types and it being related to the brain... he said that it was possible, but there's just no proof of it. He said that he had no real problems with the concept of "types".
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Creepy-

Another thing that was interesting that my Dad told me about those "Alpha" waves is that not everybody has them. Anyway, this is one thing that the website has attributed to "Introversion", and my Dad started to agree that it made sense. Apparently, what those are are waves in the back of the brain which cause people to reflect on the outside world.
    And your dad is a neurologist? Are you certain that you did not confuse something your farther said? You experience a medley of all brainwave ... as Alpha brainwaves become more dominant, i.e. as your brain slows from Beta, into the more mellow waves of Alpha you become truly relaxed and your awareness expands. But it is complete marlarky to say that some people never experience Alpha brainwaves and also Alpha waves are not just in the Parietal or the Occipital lobes but occur in ALL parts of the brain...

For introverts the anterior part of the brain is utilized more while for extraverts, the temporal region is used more.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theodosis
    And your dad is a neurologist? Are you certain that you did not confuse something your farther said? You experience a medley of all brainwave types... as Alpha brainwaves become more dominant, i.e. as your brain slows from Beta, into the more mellow waves of Alpha you become truly relaxed and your awareness expands. But it is complete marlarky to say that some people never experience Alpha brainwaves and also Alpha waves are not just in the Parietal or the Occipital lobes but occur in ALL parts of the brain...
    I figured you'd have something to say about this. :wink:

At least... can we say that there is a *strong* correlation between the Alpha waves and the back of the brain?

For introverts the anterior part of the brain is utilized more while for extraverts, the temporal region is used more.
    I thought it was the other way around? With the Occipital, Parietal, and Temporal lobes related to Introversion, and the Frontal lob related to Extraversion.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Creepy-

"Researchers from the University of Iowa have shown a connection between the blood flow activity of the thalamus and introversion and extroversion.

Researchers using PET scans examined 18 healthy individuals. They found that introverts showed more activity in the frontal lobes of their brain and the anterior or front thalamus. These are areas of the brain which take on internal processing, such as remembering, problem solving and planning.

Extroverts on the other hand exhibit more activity in the anterior cingulate gyrus, temporal lobes and posterior thalamus. These are areas that are thought to be more involved in sensory processing such as listening, watching or driving.

The differences in cognitive style and sensory-processing relate to the qualities associated with introversion and extroversion. Introverts are quiet, inwardly focuses and reclusive, whereas extroverts are gregarious, socially active and sensation seeking."

Creepy-

If anything it is the opposite.... Alpha waves are strongest over the occipital cortex and also over frontal cortex. The reason why Alpha waves would be strong in the occipital cortex, when the eyes are closed and in Alpha, is that alpha is accepted to be described where visualization becomes much easier like dreaming (not to infer anything about dreaming here), then when in Beta. Alpha brainwaves are not linked with introversion but extroversion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it makes sense that there is a lot of "activity" in the frontal lobes of the Introverts, but I don't think that's because the front has to do with "Introverting". Introverts are more "sensitive" to the Extaverted world, so they get tired of it, don't need as much of it. It seems like, from what you quoted, they are just assuming if there is a lot of "activity", then that part of the brain must take care of the the Introversion, or Extraversion. I've actually read that the back of the brain reflects on the outside world, and the front of the brian acts on the inner world.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theodosis
    If anything it is the opposite.... Alpha waves are strongest over the occipital cortex and also over frontal cortex. The reason why Alpha waves would be strong in the occipital cortex, when the eyes are closed and in Alpha, is that alpha is accepted to be described where visualization becomes much easier like dreaming (not to infer anything about dreaming here), then when in Beta. Alpha brainwaves are not linked with introversion but extroversion.
    Why would that be Extraversion? That sounded like Introversion to me...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Visualization is an extraverted task?
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Creepy-pokeball

No it is both. My past INFP psych professor (I asked him personally so I know for sure) was the only other person that tested similar to me in other tests--especially visual. He said it is because it is more common in males to have this preference. It sorta creeped me out that I was testing so similar to him on so many tests since I find the majority of psych professors (which are usually psychologists) especially creepy =(

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Brain Types

A guy named Jonathan Niednagel has developed a theory that correlates MBTI types with motor skills, specifically in regard to the amount of control in the motor cortex. If you have not had the chance to at least peruse his admittedly scanty online information, it might be worth your while to take a gander:

http://www.braintypes.com/

Unfortunately, this theory is based almost entirely on observation, with (as of yet) little theoretical or neuroscientific backing. However, as the site notes, many great discoveries have been made entirely through external observation over time (e.g. Dmitri Mendeleev and the Periodic Table, and Gregor Mendel and genetics.)

It is almost indisputable that the brain plays a huge role in our motor functions, so it is not implausible to think that if personality differences were linked to neurophysiological differences, personality could be meaningfully correlated with motor skill.

I wonder if some of his theories could be brought under the scope of socionic research, to see if the concept of IM elements could bring further insight into how the brain itself literally functions.

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so