Hybrid View

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default networking made easy?

How might this article be explained from a socionics point of view?

Networking Made Easy

Have you ever noticed that the term "networking" tends to conjure up all sorts of thoughts in ones mind? For some it's an uncomfortable term that makes them down right squeamish. This is pretty sad for several reasons. Not the least of which is that we all network in some respect -- it's just that some of us take the time to learn to do it more effectively than others. It's sort of like the old saying, everyone sells, whether they realize it or not. Well the same holds true for networking.

You see, at its very core networking is about making connections and building relationships -- both personal and professional plain and simple. The difference between someone who is skilled at networking and someone who is not is that one has taken the time to understand that the connection is not the means to an end -- and sadly the other hasn't. That is, great networkers don't make a connection with the thought in mind as to how they can benefit as a result. No, instead they look at it from a point of genuine interest in developing some sort of relationship with that particular person.

Surely, over time both parties may benefit as a result of the connection, however, that's not the initial reason for investing the time necessary to build a solid relationship with that person.

I'd like to share a few ideas that you can put into practice that will drastically improve the way you come across to someone you've just met -- which in turn will make you a much more effective networker.

First, accept that just about any time is a good time to make a new connection -- so long as you're not approaching it from a point of "what can I get from this person right now, and right here". That being said, any time you're in a close proximity to another person simply introduce yourself. For some this might seem to be out of sorts, but you'd be surprised at how many people are willing to strike up a conversation, especially when there's no pressure to do so.

Once you've gotten past the initial introduction, make a point to focus on the other person. You don't want to appear to pushy, but you can certainly ask the person you've just met a bit about themselves. The key is just making it fun.

Remember, this is not the time for hidden agendas. Simply let the other person answer the questions you ask of them and tell you about themselves. If they prefer to keep the conversation light, by all means keep it light.

If you're on the topic of what they do as a profession let them talk about what they do, and by all means resist the natural urge we all seem to have to start spouting off at the mouth about what you do.

People love to hear themselves talk, and if you'll allow them to do that, you'll be amazed by what a positive light it will put you in. It works, because so few people actually allow others the time to talk about themselves. Not easy to do, but when you get this, you'll be way ahead of the game!

Here's another important step, resist the urge to give the other person your business card. What you say? That's right, instead of focusing on giving your business card (which might just be discarded anyway -- seeing as how you have no real connection developed yet) ask for their card. By the way, I would be amiss if I didn't mention that my friend, speaker and author Bob Burg (www.burg.com) was the first person who mentioned this idea to me.

I've used it, or some form of it for years now, and it works like clockwork. That being said, I want to mention again, it's not meant as a trick or to be deceptive. It's simply a way of showing the other person at the initial point of contact that you're not like all the other folks who are simply focused on themselves first. And let me assure you, this is an enviable place to be in the mind of another person.

Ok, so now you have their business card, the next step you ask? Simply continue the conversation like you normally would. Enjoy the encounter. Heck, for all you know this person might end up being a valued friend. At this point there's no way of knowing what will evolve, so you may as well make a point to treat each person you meet as though they will be, right?

Now listen closely because this is where things are particularly important. I'm going to give you an example of what I do at this point of meeting someone and you can either copy my approach, or use some variant of it.

Before I do I want to remind you of a saying I often use when I'm speaking to groups on the topic of effective networking or during the other personal development topics I speak on...

Personal development is a hands on project, what that means is, take the ideas you learn, apply them to your own life situation and by all means, discard the ones that don't resonate with you. No one has a lock on the "right way" to do something :-)

Now that I got my little disclaimer out of the way here's what I do...

Remember, that I've got the other persons business card. I make a point at the end of the day to look back through the
    cards (or notes) of people I've met and I take the time to write them a personal note. By the way, I have a postcard which includes my web addresses on them, with my name and the words: Author - Writer - Speaker.

The postcards aren't meant as a promotional piece, but rather as a way to stick out more in the mind of the person I'm writing to. You see, in my case, most folks will remember during our conversation what I do (even though I didn't focus on me) and if I didn't even mention it, well the card gently let's them know. That being said, the front side of the card isn't really what's important, what's important is what I write on the other side of the postcard -- the blank side :-)

On it I include a short note mentioning that it was good to meet them. I'll include a mention of where we met, to avoid leaving them wondering who in the heck this person is who has just contacted them.

Once again, on this initial follow up note I'm not asking them for anything at all. I'm simply letting them know that I enjoyed meeting them, where we met and letting them know that if I'm able to help them in any way in the future they are certainly welcome to contact me.

This simple approach over time will position you in a very, very favorable place in the mind of those you meet. Plus, it opens up the door to building more solid long-term relationships with those you come into contact with. How so you ask? Because you can always repeat this simple idea ongoing from time to time.

Often I will drop notes just letting the other person know I was thinking about them, or if I ran across something that I think might be of interest to them. The possibilities are endless when it comes to using this idea to stay in contact.

In closing I'd like to urge you to use the lost art of letter writing to ignite the connections with those you come into contact with. You'll benefit greatly both professionally and personally for doing so.

To your success, Josh Hinds
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Out of range. Please call your service provider.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is how I network. No need for building up relationships with other people, I need to make sure the computers in my household aren't lonely.

This article is basically telling you to actively acknowledge the existence of the person you wish to network with. Too bad I don't have a business card...
    PoLR
    Suggestive Function

Regular Double-shot Espresso Subtype

Just because I'm a thinking type doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of this article just seems totally backwards to me. I mean, sure, whatever works... for the individual... but the way this is presented rubs me the wrong way somehow. It seems like an annoying way try to get yourself to behave and I would be annoyed if someone approached me that way.

I guess I would rather presume that a relationship is business and then make it personal if it seems appropriate, not the other way around.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)