Default Ego block dynamics over the lifespan

*poof*

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a conscious suppression of the dominant function is hardly a typical, reasonabe, or "healthy" lifestyle. it's likely that this sort of a phenomenon, however common it is, is a result of adaptation to prolonged contact with quadra types that do not share the dominant function (ie for Ne, beta and gamma types).

in a way it sounds like such a scenario would be ineffectual, as conscious use of the leading function might be suppressed, but it still would conceivably possess the characteristics of the leading function that go so far in determining the personal "agenda," if you will, including temperament.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think when I was younger I more met the description for IEE intuitive subtype, and I now more meet the description for IEE ethical subtype, but I didn't do anything intentionally to change.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think behavior changes over one's lifetime as a result of their environment and how they respond to it, which means that patterns such as the one you're talking about would vary per person.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm only 23 so this hasn't happened with me yet.

rant

I don't think I used any real Fe in my earlier childhood. I was more of a loner and I preferred introverted hobbies. I used some Fe and Se in my interactions with family members, but the same Fe rules don't apply in the society, so I got myself into a few embarrassing moments in my early childhood because of bad use of Fe. Then I decided it was best to not use it with strangers ever again. I adopted an anti-EGO approach.

Fe started kicking out when I became closer friends with an ESTp. Since then I've had ups and downs depending on who I use the Fe with. I reserved it only for closer friends and for familiar situations. I have begun to develop skills in Fe only after I turned 20. Now I'm in the over-use phase. I expect people to react well to Fe and I use it whenever I can. When someone doesn't react well to it, I distance myself from them. I try to keep deltas out of my life, but they are the majority. I won't give up on over-using my program function. Maybe one day it will pay off and I will find myself among betas. But maybe I'll realize that I have to limit Fe to certain groups and certain situations. One thing is certain - if I don't use my ego functions, I can never have perfectly good relations with anyone. Only mild relations, because I would never have quite the right functions for any type, not even for my dual.

/rant.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a conscious suppression of the dominant function is hardly a typical, reasonabe, or "healthy" lifestyle. it's likely that this sort of a phenomenon, however common it is, is a result of adaptation to prolonged contact with quadra types that do not share the dominant function (ie for Ne, beta and gamma types).

in a way it sounds like such a scenario would be ineffectual, as conscious use of the leading function might be suppressed, but it still would conceivably possess the characteristics of the leading function that go so far in determining the personal "agenda," if you will, including temperament.
    from a theoretical standpoint, yes. i'm not sure about a practical standpoint, otherwise we would not expect to see what i described. i don't think it's a pathological process at all.

I think behavior changes over one's lifetime as a result of their environment and how they respond to it, which means that patterns such as the one you're talking about would vary per person.
    yes...and he and i have very different backgrounds and experiences, yet it happened the same way. positive feedback from the environment about one's lead function would theoretically strengthen that function. negative would weaken it. seems though like there are downsides to lead function strengths, overuse of lead function, if you will. so overuse of a strong function would result in social censure, inefficiency, or somesuch, since American society at any rate is pretty much the same all over the country (the responses you get are likely to be consistent no matter where in the USA you live...)

I call it "growing up" . I'm 29 now, so hopefully I'll grow up soon. It'd be good for the kids to have an adult in the house.
    growing up is the over-arching process definitely. what i wonder is if preferential 2nd function use can be predicted...and whether conscious control of the lead function can also be predicted. because these are decisions, not just reactions. and it's more of a "don't do this" decision rather than a "do that" decision, i think. perhaps it's an irrational thing, perhaps not. BTW you grow up as soon as you're past 30 :wink: .

ILE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    I call it "growing up"
    Ditto.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond8
    Now one could argue that we are each Ti and Fe subtypes,
    Naw, you are Ne subtype.

And I agree, using one's leading functions discriminately is definitely a sign of maturity.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GillySaysGoodbye
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    I call it "growing up"
    Ditto.
    fuck you man

what you guys are missing is that it's the Fe and Ti part of the descriptions that are totally dead on and that we both agree with, while the lead functions part of the descriptions are only partly true. yet they are lead functions.

ILE

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7th function anybody? 5th?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ego block dynamics over the lifespan

We both said that when younger, under the age of 28 or so, the lead function definitely dominated. But no longer. [/sub]
    Enter creative function. My friend totally related to the Filatova description of the Fe creative function and I could more easily see the truth of that part of the description in him. We laughed about how he can "skillfully press" on another's weak points in order to get them to do something and how he can influence mood. We both identified and related to my creative function more than lead function also. I consciously use Ti more than Ne. Ti is like a well honed tool that I can use almost perfectly, just as he can use Fe almost perfectly.
    Two reasons:

1) Irrational functions are less "active" and more "observant" than rational functions
    2) Your first function is "who you naturally are," while you 2nd is "what you naturally do;" obviously you're paying more attention to what you do than who you are; nobody has a perfect self-image.

So between those to things, and the fact that they apply in tandem to both of you, makes it a pretty easy case. I don't "do" much Ne either. I observe myself "doing" more Ti and Fe; Ne is just so natural that, even when I do it, I don't realize it unless I intentionally think back to something specific that I've been saying and say "Wow, that was some serious Ne."

Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ego block dynamics over the lifespan

We both said that when younger, under the age of 28 or so, the lead function definitely dominated. But no longer. [/sub]
    Enter creative function. My friend totally related to the Filatova description of the Fe creative function and I could more easily see the truth of that part of the description in him. We laughed about how he can "skillfully press" on another's weak points in order to get them to do something and how he can influence mood. We both identified and related to my creative function more than lead function also. I consciously use Ti more than Ne. Ti is like a well honed tool that I can use almost perfectly, just as he can use Fe almost perfectly.
    Two reasons:

1) Irrational functions are less "active" and more "observant" than rational functions
    2) Your first function is "who you naturally are," while you 2nd is "what you naturally do;" obviously you're paying more attention to what you do than who you are; nobody has a perfect self-image.

So between those to things, and the fact that they apply in tandem to both of you, makes it a pretty easy case. I don't "do" much Ne either. I observe myself "doing" more Ti and Fe; Ne is just so natural that, even when I do it, I don't realize it unless I intentionally think back to something specific that I've been saying and say "Wow, that was some serious Ne."
    Eh more like the consequence of what you do, just as what you do is the consequence of what you are. I AM structure, but my structure makes me real and aware, and capable of imagining.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to me that your friend has developed Se and you have developed Fe
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I see that! Very nice, FDG. Wonder how no one else noticed it!
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    I see that! Very nice, FDG. Wonder how no one else noticed it!
    wow, where do you see that? interesting point...

ILE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be the Socioncis interpretation of maturation.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be the Socioncis interpretation of maturation.
    that would be his dual-seeking but my hidden agenda. why did he develop dual seeking but i developed hidden agenda?

ILE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because they're both Super-Id functions. There's a reason you mature by being with your dual: they don't just "give" you these things; they help you develop them for yourself by being around them, seeing "how it's done."

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because they're both Super-Id functions. There's a reason you mature by being with your dual: they don't just "give" you these things; they help you develop them for yourself by being around them, seeing "how it's done."
    yeah but i haven't been around my dual. at all. neither has he, he was married to his activity partner though for a long time.

ILE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well obviously it's possible to mature without your dual; it's just harder, or at least takes longer.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck yeah.

and as an ile i always have to choose the bumpier, harder, but more exciting way.... i spose this results in non dual relations, which is ok.

but the question becomes how much do you need your dual if you've developed your dual seeking functions without them?

ILE

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

diamond8: how old are you?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck yeah.

and as an ile i always have to choose the bumpier, harder, but more exciting way.... i spose this results in non dual relations, which is ok.

but the question becomes how much do you need your dual if you've developed your dual seeking functions without them?
    Only as much as you need someone to love and get along with

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*poof*

ILE