Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Differences between SLI-ISTps and SLE-ESTps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    Im going to give you mad points for that word. I thought it was a type-o.
    Did you study Freud? I hardly can relate to anything Ive read about him. Maybe it only applies to some people ... like Betas
    If I were going to go with shrinks Id go with Maslow or Rogers.
    I had to study him in one chapter (thankfully not an entire book). He has some pretty useful tools that are verified by other people's research: i.e. defense mechanisms. But if I were to go with shrinks, I'll also choose Maslow or Rogers (much less deterministic, strives for the highest good possible).

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just noticed one difference. ISTps never doubt their type and are willing to accept that they are ISTp. ESTps will ask for confirmation once and that's it. I got the idea while reading "What's My Type?" I noticed that among those who asked for confirmation about what type they are, none of them is or is thought to be an ISTp. In fact, the ones who are usually in doubt are intuitive, with a disproportionate number of INFx.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although confusion with ones type may also be a result of being under-informed as opposed to not having a strong sense of self-identity.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also generally ESTps are more likely to hit on girls.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Although confusion with ones type may also be a result of being under-informed as opposed to not having a strong sense of self-identity.
    agreed!
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

he died with a felafel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what are the chances of a geeky estp?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by he died with a felafel
    not low at all. Appearance-wise, a bit lower, but I am definitely geeky except appearance

he died with a felafel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    not low at all. Appearance-wise, a bit lower, but I am definitely geeky except appearance
    do you like hemingway?

sorry, i have to ask

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you like hemingway?

sorry, i have to ask
    he can be boring

he died with a felafel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you like hemingway?

sorry, i have to ask
    he can be boring
    totally

i was wondering if you like his "succinct" sytle of writing though
    ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it just me but isn't The Old Man and The Sea a pure experience in literary blue balls?!
    some twit told me i ought to read it. that it was a good read. it wasn't half that bad but what a downer.
    his style is amazing though and revolutionary for that matter. in universities, creative writing students are advised to write in the same minimal sentences. i once broke that rule only to get thrashed by the despot/prof (along with other obscure reasons). then i totally flunked out of their nazi feminist regime.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mustachio
    is it just me but isn't The Old Man and The Sea a pure experience in literary blue balls?!
    some twit told me i ought to read it. that it was a good read. it wasn't half that bad but what a downer.
    his style is amazing though and revolutionary for that matter. in universities, creative writing students are advised to write in the same minimal sentences. i once broke that rule only to get thrashed by the despot/prof (along with other obscure reasons). then i totally flunked out of their nazi feminist regime.
    this is actually good, sometimes. back in the early days of russian their syntax was horrible. everything was rambly, hard to read, ridiculous. sort of like reading stratievskaya translations of types, now, except a billion times worse. i always really wish i could do the rambling sort of stuff, too, though. like i think it´s the most advantageous thing on earth for writing term papers and the like. some INTj guy let me read a paper of his that he wrote in some amazingly short period of time.

pushkin sort of modernized russian in a lot of ways by cutting out the lengthy stuff and turning it into beautifully minimalist literature.

hemingway´s style is a really good example of cleaning things up like that. i think it also forces you to use your imagination a little bit more, rather than him pouring it all out on a page for you. not that one is better than the other (everyone has their own tastes in fiction.) just sayin´!
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

istps are WAY more careful with their money imo

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by science as magic
    true, true.....

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

undoubtly true

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

undoubtly true
    Reminds me of my ESTp bro. He may be a guy but he spends way a lot of money more than I do. He's a really huge fan of that tennis player Raphael Nadal and he pays attention to the things Nadal has, such as the racquet, the shorts, the headband etc. and buys them. He shops more than I do and he always feel proud of the things he bought and when he gets home, he would wear them and parade infront of us. I noticed that he's also very brand-conscious and buys only from certain well-known brands such as Nike and Adidas. It seems like ALL his clothes are sportswear.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    undoubtly true
    Reminds me of my ESTp bro. He may be a guy but he spends way a lot of money more than I do. He's a really huge fan of that tennis player Raphael Nadal and he pays attention to the things Nadal has, such as the racquet, the shorts, the headband etc. and buys them.
    Ugh I hate that shit. Fanboys=crap. Although I do like nadal as an athlete.

He shops more than I do and he always feel proud of the things he bought and when he gets home, he would wear them and parade infront of us. I noticed that he's also very brand-conscious and buys only from certain well-known brands such as Nike and Adidas. It seems like ALL his clothes are sportswear.
    Ahaa, for me it's not much about being brand-conscious, but more about trying to find the maximum level of quality to price ratio. Usually sportswear from Nike or Adidas has a very high ratio. Never buy anything that costs more than 70 bucks tho. I try to avoid at all costs "showy" brands like Gucci, Prada, and the like. Showing that you have brand stuff seems very gross to me; but sometimes a certain component of "brand" is necessary to have a good quality. The parade sounds cretin What's bad at clothes being sportswear? They're more comfortable than boring stick-in-the-ass elengant clothing.

Ovreall, I think that what sucks away money the worst for me is going out with girls

edit: Now that I think about it, one of my estp friends is like that too. But he's kinda different from me. Very very negativist f.e

he died with a felafel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mustachio
    i agree on content - i don't esp. like it. Any other thoughts on the writing style? Related to any type/function?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

minimalism. low (compare to proust with 10 pages describing "i smelled the air.")
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ESTp vs. ISTp: Spotting the Differences

I usually have no trouble telling the difference between these two types, but I need a bit of help this time.

I know a definite xSTP, but they seem fairly shy, not necessarily quiet, just shy like I said. I'm hesitant to play the Introvert card just because of that. I do want to add that their significant other is, I'm pretty sure, an IEE, which leans me in favor of SLI. Yet something is pulling me back from that typing, and I'm not sure what exactly.

Any dead giveaways between these two?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also interested in suggestions from people on this question, but one thing that came to my mind is "one-upping". An SLE ime is more likely to constantly want to be one-upping everyone in everything, and the mindset is going to be that way. An SLI not so much.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

1up is ile

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    1up is ile
    Oh really? I thought Se wants to 1-up...

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could call me shy at times...don't know if i'll grow out of it, but im sure other young SLE's are shy too.

Oneupsmanship comes natural to me, like breathing.

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to people when I was younger, but then I , and now I have a bunch of great guiding s to help me.

Disclaimer: I do not endorse the use of any drug or drug paraphernalia nor do I think I'm Napoleon.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agee View Post
    You could call me shy at times...don't know if i'll grow out of it, but im sure other young SLE's are shy too.

Oneupsmanship comes natural to me, like breathing.
    Yeah that was my understanding as well, re: SLEs

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Yeah that was my understanding as well, re: SLEs
    To what part are you agreeing with? The shyness the oneupmanship or both? Because of the SLE I know, I would hardly consider them shy but containing more of a reticence about themselves. Plus they won't really 1up you if they don't view you as a threat.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNi View Post
    To what part are you agreeing with? The shyness the oneupmanship or both? Because of the SLE I know, I would hardly consider them shy but containing more of a reticence about themselves. Plus they won't really 1up you if they don't view you as a threat.
    Oh i was focusing on the one-upmanship, but I also agree with SLEs sometimes coming across as quiet. And yes i agree with how you put that here--"reticence."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Oh i was focusing on the one-upmanship, but I also agree with SLEs sometimes coming across as quiet. And yes i agree with how you put that here--"reticence."
    I agree. I think that's a great word for it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any other thoughts on this? Still confused :/

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLE-Ti would seem very similar to an SLI.

SLE-Ti are very phlegmatic; they love to consider all possibilities before acting so that they will never fail when they execute. Their favourite technique of hitting on chicks is to surround them on all sides (unlike the SLE-Se who just goes straight up and pushes all the way, the SLE-Ti is more inclined to push from different points. won't go out with me for dinner? no problem, how about a walk on the beach. busy at work? no worries, I can meet you at your office at 9pm. no money for a fancy dinner? oh I'll drive you there and treat you. your friends are mean? I'll take care of them).

SLI's on the other hand are the kind who enjoy walking for the sake of walking. Everything can be pleasurable to them, and what isn't can be converted to be. They have very refined and gracious postures, movements, and behaviour. Most masters of any trade are SLI, because they are the only sociotype who naturally incline towards perfecting a skill for the sake of its own pleasure. Their favourite technique for picking up girls is omniscient silence- they sit at one conspicuous corner, taking everything in without looking at anything, and Fi chicks will just drop by and find out 'what's wrong', or 'what's up with this mysterious guy, or 'omg he's so hot i hope he notices me'. Masters indeed.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLE-Se are very different from SLI; they are too energetic and reckless. They absolutely cannot be confused with SLI.

The SLE-Ti, on the other hand, may seem like an IP due to the fact that they plan before they act, and when they act, everything is mobilized for them like an SLI. That being said, the SLE-Ti may improvise far more often than the SLI. With EP energy, they believe that anything can come through for them, while the IP SLI may have to depend on an EP partner for a similar confidence boost.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't actually know what I'm talking about btw, because I'm not sure if the SLE-Ti dude I saw the other day was actually that.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLEs come across as serious, but after 30 seconds of conversation become rather lively, love to joke. Ambitious, intelligent, decisive, funny.

SLIs boring, rain-on-your-parade, conservative, unimaginative. 99% of their lives consists of eating and farting.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome and unbiased thread guys
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    SLE-Ti would seem very similar to an SLI.

SLE-Ti are very phlegmatic; they love to consider all possibilities before acting so that they will never fail when they execute. Their favourite technique of hitting on chicks is to surround them on all sides (unlike the SLE-Se who just goes straight up and pushes all the way, the SLE-Ti is more inclined to push from different points. won't go out with me for dinner? no problem, how about a walk on the beach. busy at work? no worries, I can meet you at your office at 9pm. no money for a fancy dinner? oh I'll drive you there and treat you. your friends are mean? I'll take care of them).

SLI's on the other hand are the kind who enjoy walking for the sake of walking. Everything can be pleasurable to them, and what isn't can be converted to be. They have very refined and gracious postures, movements, and behaviour. Most masters of any trade are SLI, because they are the only sociotype who naturally incline towards perfecting a skill for the sake of its own pleasure. Their favourite technique for picking up girls is omniscient silence- they sit at one conspicuous corner, taking everything in without looking at anything, and Fi chicks will just drop by and find out 'what's wrong', or 'what's up with this mysterious guy, or 'omg he's so hot i hope he notices me'. Masters indeed.
    lol reubs, ur good...

And that's why they look like they're sleeping. But they're not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    Out of curiosity, why have you eliminated the other two STs?
    The person in question is definitely some kind of xSTP, which is why I was mainly focused on those two types. Also, LSI is usually very easy for me to spot (I guess the Beta values just pop out for some reason with them), and just speaking for a few moments to an LSE registers that odd psychological distance involved in Conflict.

I keep fluctuating with the person in question. Their energy seems turned more inward, which makes me think "SLI! SLI! SLI!", but... They act very goofy sometimes by quietly doing childlike, silly voices, like they're mumbling to themselves. They're a lot more grounded in reality than I am, they know and understand a lot more about how things function/work than I do, a whole lot more common sense too.

Their personality/mannerisms reminds me of the character of Darlene from Roseanne (but they are more withdrawn and a lot less sarcastic).

Usually with SLI's, I end up hitting a wall in conversations. This hasn't really happened with this person just yet.
    Last edited by Clumsy; 10-08-2011 at 02:22 PM.

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's not flattering, but I stand by my description of SLIs as "grouchy teddy bears", for the men. When they're grumpy, they let people know by complaining or snapping at people, but they definitely have a soft side and they're not aggressive in the least. SLEs tend to be either a bit goofy, like they're manchildren, or alternatively "badass" and "rough".

Concisely: if SLIs are "dry", SLEs are "calm".
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And that's why they look like they're sleeping. But they're not.
    poke me while I'm 'sleeping' and I'll bite you.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know a lot of SLEs in real life (a couple people who I thought were SLE I'm thinking I might have mistyped, and they might be SEE). But the thing that I notice the most is the tendency to directly command people without hesitation: 'Do this.' I notice this because some people do it to me where I work, and it irritates me, so that particular thing stands out. A SLI is usually more hesitant to directly order people to do something. They can tell someone in a more roundabout way. I could describe this better if I were more sure that the people I'm thinking of are actually SLEs. So if somebody, for instance, gives you advice about a problem, and they directly command you 'Do this, this, and this,' I think that is more associated with Se. A SLI might be more inclined to say 'Well, if it works for you, you could try doing this.' They are not as comfortable with ordering people to do things.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast