Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Differences between SLI-ISTps and SLE-ESTps

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can tell you the differences between two men -- an ISTp friend of mine and a former ESTp work colleague.

The ESTp was more of a people's person, outgoing, far more interested in physical activities, with a stronger bent towards vulgarity.

The ISTp is more intellectual, reserved, less obviously physical.

Both are seen as arrogant, but while the ESTp is seen as a guy who obviously steps on others' toes in order to get his way, the ISTp's perceived arrogance is more of a know-it-all nature and stand-offishness.

The ESTp seemed to think, "I'm so great"; the ISTp, "why doesn't everybody recognize I'm great"?

I'm giving the example of two individuals, I hope it helps.

I get along fine with the ISTp; the ESTp was too much of a back-stabber.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Creepy-staralfur

The intonations in the voice of an ESTP are sometimes higher pitched. (ex.. if an ESTP asks you "Do you want to go?" the question would sound progressively higher in pitch, whereas if an ISTP were to ask you the same sentence he would say it in a flat, cold, almost monotone manner.) Many ISTPs also talk in a manner-of-fact way or in a way that seems like they are in a hurry to get somewhere.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

give a toe-stepping example, just so i know i'm clear on this.
    In a business environment, I mean things like -- behaving in front of others like he's the boss, when he isn't; refusing to share information that he should, but expecting, and demanding, that you share information with him; going over your head to upper management at the slightest disagreement -- this kind of thing.

how does one get along with estps? i am quite curious!
    Blaze's suggestion is good, but I would add (even if it's a bit mean) -- think of them as children, of the kind that wants to change the rules of the game if they're not winning and who want immediate attention all the time, and who think they should always get the bigger piece of cake, etc.

And, as with children, a very effective way of dealing with ESTps is to tell them clearly, "you know, you did not behave well, people won't like you if you do that" - it does get to them. That is why ISFjs are their supervisors, I guess.

I think people who don't like ESTps and ISTps might describe them thus (me being mean again) -- an ESTp is like an elephant in a China shop. An ISTp is like a snake in the grass.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some small diffrences between SLEs ans SLIs that I can think of.

For one, an SLE will ask you straight out how you feel about them, if you are annoyed at them, etc... This is because SLEs have no bases for defining relationships between people. An SLI will hold a lot back and be the opposite of an SLE with their emotions.

Another diffrence is that an SLI will normally pick doing something regarding close family or friends over something else. For example, just recently my sister was moving into an apartment and I had to go down there to help her. Some of my friends also wanted to play baseball at the same time. I was talking to an SLE friend of mine and he kept pestering my to come and play baseball. I told him that I couldn't because I had to help my sister, so he was telling me, "just leave early and come play with us... just tell your family you have to play baseball... blah blah blah" and he just didn't "get" that I wouldn't do something like that. I think this is the equivilant of "stepping on people's toes"; they pretty much disregard their morals.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay more estp questions.

when an estp does get upset (cries etc,) is it a 5 minute thing or a long drawn out thing? i assume they'd only do this in front of people they trust. maybe i am comparing them a bit too much with esfps (correct me if i'm making some bad comparisons here.)

on the voice correlation, what i am thinking is that estps can sound a bit bored/irritable/blase sometimes. not sure exactly when this occurs, could be when they're thinking about their own problems/concerns?[/url]
    We cry or *I* cry only when I am alone and the movie has to be extremely good. An emotional burst like that only last a few seconds, maybe a minute max, but it might effect us all day. This hasn't happened much maybe 10-20 times in my life, but i've even had a song hit me so hard I cried. The only time I have ever expressed emotion like crying infront of others was infront of my best friend who was kicking me out.

We get irritable when we don't get what we want out of a situation. We constantly stayed bored; Hence why we are so active and seem to not stick with one thing too long. We learn enough to know whatever it is we are learning is useless for the present moment.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"There's no crying in baseball!!" This had to have been said by an estp.

My husband is estp and his ego is large and in charge, but so what. I have a pretty big ego myself! He always thinks about other people and whoever said they are great with kids is right - my husband is the fun one and is quite the caring and concerned parent to our 2 girls. He can be quite giving and generous and quite stubborn what with never wanting to "lose".

He is a master manipulator. We used to work together and we had to attend management meetings together. He actually had our boss giggling about her own (big) mistakes. It was quite a thing to view unfolding, the way he did that.

Don't try to talk to estp's too much about theories and abstract stuff they are like *yawn*. Most important to keep things real and moving along.

Just a couple thots, anyway, about estp's. Personally, I think they are like a breath of fresh air!
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    "There's no crying in baseball!!" This had to have been said by an estp.

My husband is estp and his ego is large and in charge, but so what. I have a pretty big ego myself! He always thinks about other people and whoever said they are great with kids is right - my husband is the fun one and is quite the caring and concerned parent to our 2 girls. He can be quite giving and generous and quite stubborn what with never wanting to "lose".

He is a master manipulator. We used to work together and we had to attend management meetings together. He actually had our boss giggling about her own (big) mistakes. It was quite a thing to view unfolding, the way he did that.

Don't try to talk to estp's too much about theories and abstract stuff they are like *yawn*. Most important to keep things real and moving along.

Just a couple thots, anyway, about estp's. Personally, I think they are like a breath of fresh air!
    Exactly, we are grown-up kids that's why we get along with them so well, my 1 year old nephew can't get enough of me. We actually like theories that we can explain and we can explain most stuff, I guess it would have to be something way out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Most important to keep things real and moving along.
    You really hit it right there. We tell the truth and expect others to do the same. WE HATE BULLSHIT and trust me I knw your husband can smell it from a mile away. As far as moving along, this is really not optional for the estp we move, we are active this is what we do it really can't be help. The only reason I said what I said about theories is because I have my own theories listed on the web and I was starting to think I was crazy for having them, but yes they are my own so it's okay

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, you really can't sit still?! Always have to be moving and busy. Myself, I can chill pretty easily.
    Entp
    ILE

Creepy-

i think i like estps. honestly i wish i could develop a lot more estp-ness. i gravitate a bit towards the sensors. they're more honest/real to me?
    we are a little too honest and a little too real, I think that's what causes some conflicts anyway.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say that ESTps are blunt rather than honest -- if you define being "honest" as a principled stance based on ethical understanding.

I don't think that ESTps tend to think - or feel - that they have to be honest because lying or being dishonest is intrinsically wrong.

Rather, they are blunt, in the sense of speaking their minds with little regard for other people's feelings, because of their big egos (which leads them to think that others will love to hear their views no matter what) and little ability to foresee how they might hurt or annoy others.

But that doesn't mean that an ESTp is less likely than other types to lie, especially if it's about saving their all-important skin or getting what they want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I'd say that ESTps are blunt rather than honest -- if you define being "honest" as a principled stance based on ethical understanding.

I don't think that ESTps tend to think - or feel - that they have to be honest because lying or being dishonest is intrinsically wrong.

Rather, they are blunt, in the sense of speaking their minds with little regard for other people's feelings, because of their big egos (which leads them to think that others will love to hear their views no matter what) and little ability to foresee how they might hurt or annoy others.

But that doesn't mean that an ESTp is less likely than other types to lie, especially if it's about saving their all-important skin or getting what they want.
    Excellent point, personally, I never lie and I do find I am very very direct or blunt with people. I also don't think we think others love to hear our views, we just try to elaborate or views. I can see how this might annoy others though, we do talk alot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISTP/ESTP...how do I tell them apart?

What are the most ovbious ways to tell an ISTP from an ESTP?
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One likes people, one doesnt ; )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jessica. But are ISTPs talkative ever? If someone is fairly talkative and nice, should I assume they are not ISTP? Or are some ISTPs more talkative?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone approaches me, I'm usually a lot more talkative than anyone else..I just don't initiate contact.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was with an ISTP yesterday who would go through fits and starts of talking and then drifting into silence. He was in the company of friends though so it did not seem strange to me.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay that makes sense. I've noticed that with my introvert friends. They often talk more to me than my extrovert friends do! A lot of people I think realy can't tell extroverts from introverts, because I know a lot of very social introverts.

If there is a lot of kinda competitive teasing, is that more of an ESTP thing?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont talk much at all. Even in the company of a friend im still pretty quiet. Sometimes i will talk a lot, that means im really happy or excited. I do value someone who talks to me a lot it makes me happy.

I probablly talk less than an INTp i know.

ESTp's are generally more excitable than ISTp. Just feel their energy Jewels, shouldn't take you long to be able to differentiate the two.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger
    ESTp's are generally more excitable than ISTp's, ISTp's generally are more excitable.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol

SHH. I was at work and it was very busy
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels
    Thanks Jessica. But are ISTPs talkative ever? If someone is fairly talkative and nice, should I assume they are not ISTP? Or are some ISTPs more talkative?
    My friends tell me that when I'm drunk, I'm ubber charming and talkative and approaching everyone everywhere... too bad I can't remember any of those times. But really, I don't see the big deal in being talkative and nice around a group of friends or in a class or something.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random take...

ESTps have a need to be involved with people even though they may not always be able to fulfill this need. Anyways they can't just be in a group of people without trying to get involved and get somekind of important role there. If they can't get that role they probably leave. ISTps are more likely to be a bit "enigmatic". They don't make much contact but they are rather friendly if you contact them. And often they can hang around with group of people without making much effort to get involved. Just kind of observing the situation. ESTps are kind of energetic bunnies which sometimes can dragon breath on you if they dislike you. ISTps are more like enigmatic beings which suddenly open up and then close down again. ESTps are more likely to engage in discussions and analyze things. ISTps rarely seem to analyze. They just state their opinion which is pretty non-negotiable. They may change it later when they are alone but during the discussion they just have a tendency to voice their opinion and that's it. ESTps are more interested in forcing their opinions on you however. ISTps tend to ignore you if you disagree with them. ESTps tend to get agitated if you disagree with them. If you have problems ISTps are more likely to be empathetic and caring although usually not by words. ESTps seem to dislike people with problems and distance themselves from them. ESTps seek constant fun and excitement and people with problems generally are the opposite of that. ESTp has extremely short attention span and they will immediately switch to doing something else if you start to bore them (this is true for ISTp too in some sense but still it is very different from the "jumpy" nature of ESTp). Just give ISTp good food and they will be happy to listen to you while eating. ESTp is way more needy and hard to please.

ESTp has this "hunter" aura where ISTp is more enigmatic and has "I'm independent" aura.

ESTp might look like this:

Where ISTp might look like this:

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    ESTp has this "hunter" aura where ISTp is more enigmatic and has "I'm independent" aura.
    That's how I distinguish between ESTps and ISTps. Shake hands.

The ESTp photo seems to say: "Who are you? Are you exciting? Are you stronger than me or weaker? Can you be made to do tricks? I'm going to find out..." [whistles "you can run but you can't hide" under his breath]

There should be a photo for ISTps when they're in a good mood...

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTps are far more coscentious about school work and stuff than ESTp. ISTps have a lot less need to expend their energy than ESTps: you can even notice this when sitting at class, you can see that the ESTp gets uneasy with too much sitting and he'll be moving his legs, hands, everything, whereas the ISTp is generally calmer. ISTp talk slowly than ESTp, they also tend to "look around" much less. They don't start giving grades to every girl they see, generally. ISTps are more precise: when they work they usually take longer than an ESTp but their work is more likely to be correct. ESTps don't tend to like to spend their type with the kind of people that...go around, shopping, and generally "relax"...they tend to feel the need for excitement and umm, can't really explain.

ESTp is much more likely to dislike a lot of people and be uber critical of them and thereby tactless, whereas the ISTp is much more accepting.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the harder task would be to find a picture of an actual ISTP female...other than the picture of Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider. I already posted my picture!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    ISTps are far more coscentious about school work and stuff than ESTp. ISTps have a lot less need to expend their energy than ESTps: you can even notice this when sitting at class, you can see that the ESTp gets uneasy with too much sitting and he'll be moving his legs, hands, everything, whereas the ISTp is generally calmer. ISTp talk slowly than ESTp, they also tend to "look around" much less. They don't start giving grades to every girl they see, generally. ISTps are more precise: when they work they usually take longer than an ESTp but their work is more likely to be correct. ESTps don't tend to like to spend their type with the kind of people that...go around, shopping, and generally "relax"...they tend to feel the need for excitement and umm, can't really explain.

ESTp is much more likely to dislike a lot of people and be uber critical of them and thereby tactless, whereas the ISTp is much more accepting.
    Well, most of you're posted sounded like me... until the last sentance.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    Does this count?

MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    Does this count?

That guy looks ISTj to me....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AH! My last crush was ISTP! That FACE!!! He always had that face on! ALWAYS! I found it hot.

Anyway,
    ISTPs are like never excited or bouncy. They don't bounce or laugh for like five minutes nonstop and if they do, it's sorta quiet.They're less showy. When they talk, they speak in a short, sharp, to-the-point way while ESTPs might go on and on about something that happened. ESTPs laugh HARD and their laughter is contagious, the ones with subtype have that sleazy little grin. This kid in my psychology class is that type of ESTP and he jokes the whole time. This girl screamed and ran away from her chair because she was afraid of a bee and the estp said: I'm flattered you came to me, really.

He said it twice and laughed while saying it which make the rest of the room laugh. Very easy-going
    ISTPs are more intense and ... tense.

Pretty easy to distinguish I think.
    INFP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    I think the harder task would be to find a picture of an actual ISTP female...
    Well Rick suggests Grace Kelly in his site.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    That guy looks ISTj to me....
    That guy's Sandy Koufax btw...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rick also suggests Harrison Ford as ISTp

And Marlon Brando as ESTp

What do you think of Harrison Ford?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marlon Brando is correct.

Harrison Ford could be ENTj too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both ENTP imo.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Both ENTP imo.
    No, no. If you get to know some ESTp, you'll see how the movements and all the facial expression match the ones of Brando. I know one from childhood, clear-cut ESTp, which looks exactly like him. I have many facial expressions that are very similar, too. Especially the "hard squinting" before replying a question. The body language is the stereotypical . There is no question about his type, really.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the caregiving vs aggressor distinction is incredibly obvious between those two types.

generally, i think ISTps can seem really shy on first contact whereas ESTps just don't ever really seem shy at all. and like XoX said, the ESTps seem more energetic.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer
    AH! My last crush was ISTP! That FACE!!! He always had that face on! ALWAYS! I found it hot.
    He was always stoned?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, Grace Kelly is so elegant i can definately see ISTp. That is so hot.

Harrison ford i believe its definately an ISTp. An old ISTp friend of mine does harrison fords smile all the time. He has the same body type etc. The resembalance is uncanny. I really liked him in Star Wars and Indiana jones too
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer
    He was always stoned?
    I get that a lot too. People think I looked stoned even though I'm not.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast