Gamma Extratim: AC/DC, Cream

TIM
    ESFp-Fi 7w8 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ENJoymENT

Prince's note choice is pretty interesting. He starts off in the blues scale but then borrows a few notes from the Dorian and Aolean scales, which are both used in Spanish guitar

Another thing he incorporates is his phrasing. Phrasing is when you build "sentences" with notes from a guitar solo. First section ( first 14 secs of the solo) he follows the lyrics that you'd sing In the song, while throwing in enough variation to where you go "that's different". Similar to an improv singer with their voice.

Next 14 seconds(thats where he shifts to the fancier scales) he varies bit ends that bit with a piece of the singer's melody again to remind you what song this is.

Instead of running through a stream of notes he breaks and makes little passages with a clear distinction between them a la Clapton or Hendrix.Here is this one...then the next...and the next each one of them rising in octave and pitch, along with speed and dexterity, creating a sense of progression and rising intensity; and if you pay attention you'll notice all his "sentences" are approximately the same length in time. Nice and neat following the song with pauses that allow it to breathe before switching gears.

And every time he ends one passage he goes back to how Harrison would sing the lyrics to the main line but again with little tiny differences.

The rest is in details like his tone, both his guitar settings and the changes in pressure he applies to the strings with his pick. His vibrato (same way a singer shakes the note at the end of a phrase the guitarist shakes the note with the finger) changes in aggressiveness as the solo goes by

Music is subjective but there are hard, technical measures that can make something sound not just great, but emotive and dramatic. Gives it a body and lungs. Gives it life and the ability to breathe.
    Last edited by CptLandhawk; 08-23-2022 at 05:54 PM.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Dwaves and Humans vs. X always felt like Gammas and Deltas vs all others IMO...

Probably why they tend to get along while the "mountainfolk" take quite an issue with the knife-eared arseholes...

TIM
    ENTj (3w4 sx/sp)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CptLandhawk;[URL="tel:[URL="tel:[URL="tel:[URL="tel:[URL="tel:1528523"
    1528523[/URL]"]1528523[/URL]"]1528523[/URL]"]1528523[/URL]"]1528523[/URL]]@ENJoymENT

Prince's note choice is pretty interesting. He starts off in the blues scale but then borrows a few notes from the Dorian and Aolean scales, which are both used in Spanish guitar

Another thing he incorporates is his phrasing. Phrasing is when you build "sentences" with notes from a guitar solo. First section ( first 14 secs of the solo) he follows the lyrics that you'd sing In the song, while throwing in enough variation to where you go "that's different". Similar to an improv singer with their voice.

Next 14 seconds(thats where he shifts to the fancier scales) he varies bit ends that bit with a piece of the singer's melody again to remind you what song this is.

Instead of running through a stream of notes he breaks and makes little passages with a clear distinction between them a la Clapton or Hendrix.Here is this one...then the next...and the next each one of them rising in octave and pitch, along with speed and dexterity, creating a sense of progression and rising intensity; and if you pay attention you'll notice all his "sentences" are approximately the same length in time. Nice and neat following the song with pauses that allow it to breathe before switching gears.

And every time he ends one passage he goes back to how Harrison would sing the lyrics to the main line but again with little tiny differences.

The rest is in details like his tone, both his guitar settings and the changes in pressure he applies to the strings with his pick. His vibrato (same way a singer shakes the note at the end of a phrase the guitarist shakes the note with the finger) changes in aggressiveness as the solo goes by

Music is subjective but there are hard, technical measures that can make something sound not just great, but emotive and dramatic. Gives it a body and lungs. Gives it life and the ability to breathe.
    Yes… he/you had me at “that’s different” than the actual paint-by-numbers studio version. Yet all without straying too far from the living heart of the track by selfishly reaching too often into his own personal arsenal/bag of tricks just to display them for their own sake. Everything he opts to do is creative, yet all while simultaneously remaining true to the spirit of this George Harrison classic. It’s not his display of technique as a skilled guitarist that is special, it’s his ability to seamlessly fit his talent into the existing framework of the song in order to both creatively enhance, yet fully honour it.

And yes—equal and perfect amounts of melody, breathing space, technique, and ultimately heavy rock ‘n’ roll abandon/freedom. The only guitarist in my opinion who can mournfully bend notes in such a manner to slay me emotionally, is Clapton…well okay, also Duane Allman’s slide guitar in the despairing coda of Layla. Actually controversial within the musicians’ community…in that many claim he’s disconcertingly out of tune in spots. But to me, I truly believe that those bends have to be an intentional artistic choice—because they are my absolute favourite parts of this song. They paint an atmospheric melancholia…from 3:50-5:40 opens me up both physically & emotionally. It forces my breath to finally exhale and my shoulders to drop in surrender. And about 70% of the time when I hear it, this section brings genuine tears to my eyes in gratitude of actually acknowledging that I have feelings and emotions. Palms up in surrender…open…being showered in despair, and yet somehow loving nonetheless. And it’s not my fault—its cause is the experience of being caressed by the anguish inherent in the guitar’s notes. Layla is in fact my most favourite romantic song.

Second place is Queen’s Somebody to Love live at Milton Keynes—especially the improvised piano intro—when F.M. shrugs/raises his left palm up in despair. Queen was actually my first live concert in Toronto during “The Game” tour. Can’t tell you how much respect I have for the fact that these four musicians each bring it—covering one another’s backs—doing ALL of the instruments, vocals—no autotune, no back up singers etc. And most impressively—no cell phones in the audience, everyone present and contributing emotionally in the moment. It’s pure passion. https://youtu.be/v8L3TCXsyX4

Third has to be Prince’s solo. I find it very interesting that you describe Prince’s musical passages as sentences—“nice and neat following the song with pauses that allow it to breathe before switching gears”. This description really expounds the intentional maintaining of the underlying structure in order to avoid alienating the unsophisticated listener. All the while thoughtfully and intermittently overlaying creative embellishments which elevate the experience to a creation… as opposed to merely an imitation.

It must be immensely emotionally invigorating and soulfully satisfying to be able to create and express at that level.
    Last edited by ENJoymENT; 08-30-2022 at 08:10 AM.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ENTj (3w4 sx/sp)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Averroes;[URL="tel:1529185"
    1529185[/URL]]
    I LOVE this song, my favourite since Era Vulgaris’ Suture Up Your Future & 3’s &7’s. It’s the best song if you’re pissed at somebody: “I sat by the ocean, and drank a potion baby, to erase you”. I like the QOTSA’s lyrics that blatantly call out our contrived exteriors. “The truth hurts so bad wouldn’t you say…so why tell it? If ignorance is bliss than I’m in…heaven now”. Apparently according to Homme, he wrote most of the lyrics for …Like Clockwork while he was depressed and laid up in the hospital. Thus the lyrics are deliciously introspective and cut right to the authentic emotion:

'Do you know who you really are? Are you sure it's really you'?Lies are a funny thing
    They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you
    Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view

Imagine I'd be your one and only
    Instead I'm the lonely one
    You, me, and a lie.
    Last edited by ENJoymENT; 08-30-2022 at 12:21 AM.

TIM
    ENTj (3w4 sx/sp)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://youtu.be/xpkRtzNUQtE

Them Crooked Vultures. From 4:20 onwards, Dave Grohl totally captures the freedom and joy inherently derived from playing the drums full-on and without restraint— a la Keith Moon.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Singer is SEE.

ILI.

LIE

ESI.

Themes: capitalism, money, imagination, over-arching tragedy, sacrifice to a loved one, power, truth, mysticism, moralist judging of wrongdoings, and sympathy towards the unfortunate.
    Last edited by lavos; 08-29-2022 at 03:43 PM.

TIM
    ENTj (3w4 sx/sp)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QOTSA Misfit Love: https://youtu.be/CULuecEvxbs big, bold, sensual.

Do me first, do your worst
    Gimme what I want some of
    One track mind, no time to waste
    Sidewalk feel me strut so good
    (Gutter don’t forget this face!)

QOTSA I’m Designer: https://youtu.be/SRdKseK1JXU everyone needs a little whack. Frank cynicism.

The thing that's real for us is fortune and fame
    All the rest seems like work
    It's just like diamonds—in shit!

I'm high class, I'm a whore…actually both
    Basically, I'm a pro
    We've all got our own style of baggage—why hump it yourself?

You've made me an offer that I can refuse
    'Cause either way I get screwed
    Counter proposal: I go home and jerk off, Ugh!

It's truly a lie
    I’m counterfeit myself…
    ….
    You're insulted you can't be bought or sold (translation: offer too low)
    You don't know what you're worth—it isn’t much
    My piano's for sale

How many times must I sell myself
    before my pieces are gone?
    I'm one of a kind—I'm designer!

Never again will I repeat myself
    Enough is never enough…
    NEVER AGAIN will I repeat myself!!

Not sure of Homme’s sociotype, but I love his fearless lyrics. He seems Se valuing…perhaps Se seeking, which is why I relate. The lyrics are bold and in your face…yet at the same time self deprecating, so it’s humorous as opposed to obnoxious.
    Last edited by ENJoymENT; 08-30-2022 at 01:02 AM.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE

Last edited by Averroes; 09-24-2022 at 03:08 AM.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't tell the quadra of Opeth, but Infected Mushroom doesn't seem gamma to me. Too much Ne and some songs Fe.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
    I generally like video game music, especially songs that were in older video games. Some of my favorite tracks are in the older LoZ games. Otherwise, I like music from a variety of genres. Metal, especially with good note progression, sometimes appeals to me more than other genres.
    My brother from another mother. Metal is, well, metal .

I don't pay attention to lyrics. I'm not sure if that's relevant.
    I wonder what you think of this piece:

Said band is raw unrestrained Metal as a Gamma would compose it IMO. They are, alongside the likes of Helloween and Stryper, the true pioneers of Power Metal (my most favorite genre of metal).

If you wonder about that last band well:

I agree with Razor. There is nothing more metal than just nutting up and just telling everyone else to simply go fuck themselves. Hell, I can already feel my own "end of runtime" coming. I just can't and won't bow down to the woke brigade no matter how much money they offer me. Fuck Mammon!

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too much video game music discussion for a discussion of metal, and there are discussions of metal in all the quadras. Socionics is bad for music discussions, or at least, socionics forums are bad for music discussions.

Especially when people are unironically comparing Britney Spears and NAV to Beethoven and King Crimson.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Tchaikovsky seems pretty Fe to me.

For possible Gamma classical composers, try:

Borodin
    Shostakovitch
    Mendelssohn
    Saint-Saens
    Liszt
    Schubert

You guess the types.
    Though I've never carefully went through and tried to type all the classical composers, Schubert is beta or alpha being basically "the 1800s Paul McCartney" as I've heard him called before, and Liszt is one of the most beta people in existence along with Wagner and Strauss.

Then, I can't even figure out what gamma would refer to other than soulless corporate schlock. Mendelssohn is perfectly likely to be gamma, as are most of those other people. Mendelssohn was the guy who made Bach popular after many centuries of Bach being a nobody, and tried to lock Wagner out of composing because he didn't like Wagner's music which caused Wagner to start being sort of mildly Antisemitic despite the fact he didn't think all Jews were like that. If we're just going to say bad composers are gamma that doesn't help the "gammas have bad music and they're all corporate drones" image. (Though I don't think self-typed gammas here are corporate drones with bad taste in music.) But, people tend to really hate gamma even more than beta because of the corporate drone image, and music in general seeming like an Fe/Ni or Fe/Si affair doesn't help that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recommend some songs of an ILI artist called Steven Wilson:

[Piano Lessons - Porcupine Tree]

It talks about the struggle of Steven for making his dreams happen facing the limits that his mentor and the music industry are trying to set on him. His potential is understimated and his integrity challenged. Is the Complex of Tied Hands condensed in a song. He has an album called "Stupid Dream", you can imagine the core topic of the work.

"You'd better give up hoping. You're better off in bed", "Credit me with some intelligence...".

[Arriving Somewhere but Not Here - Porcupine Tree]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbWhpfXisZw
    In some parts of the lyrics it is described the pain of seeing how your dreams are shattered while the only thing you can do is to look and wait for your death. I don't understand the story of the album, I only know it is about ghosts.

What ILIs think when the plane is falling: "All my designs simplified. And all of my plans compromised. All of my dreams sacrificed".

[Time Flies - Porcupine Tree]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJB...=PorcupineTree
    An invitation to take every opportunity life gives you and a regret for all those who were lost and took you to a different course.

"She said: "Luck is all you make it, you just reach and take it, now let's dance a while".

[Sleep of No Dreaming - Porcupine Tree]

It could be about the young Steven's fear of living in his dream thinking his sacrifice doesn't compensate satisfaction he feels for it. Or could be about living a life devoid of dreams, being a conformist which is almost the same as being dead. Or I don't understand metaphors.

Haha, how convenient! Literally a woman with her hands tied.

[Hatesong - Porcupine Tree]

Some Gamma sincere despise.

[Permanating - Steven Wilson]

A more mature Steven Wilson, with a more developed Se.

Take your time, don't make it a chore. One song of this list per day is fine.
    Last edited by HeInin; 11-17-2022 at 07:28 PM.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't pay attention to lyrics. I'm not sure if that's relevant.

Edit: Here's a song that I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFsoLYZEYvg

I like the musical quality of it.
    Ok, there are some Ni/Se songs in the setlist of Infected Mushroom, but there are songs that seems Ne valueing to me, like Never Mind.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Averroes; 01-21-2023 at 12:31 AM.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ILI-H
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am gamma therefore whatever i like is gamma music

>Some disagree with me. They suck.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Kylie Minogue - INTP

Alla Pugachyova - SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Edmund Shklyarskiy - INTP

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fist = ultra will power

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found a cute little LIE/Fi-seeking song

These days I'm just looking for mental peace (Mmm)
    And a pair of lips that can feed my soul (Feed)
    A genuine love like elemental ones (Elemental)
    Someone who knows how I'm feeling without having to ask me

When you wanted Gucci, I devoted myself to trapping
    When you wanted a house, I devoted myself to saving up
    When you wanted a future, I devoted myself to building it
    And when I failed you, well, I devoted myself to correcting it
    To not repeat it, yeah

Because mistakes are just mistakes if you make them more than once (More than once), yeah
    And the pain that we went through made us stronger, baby, don't you think? (Don't you think?), yeah
    And rumors are just rumors if no one ever sees them (No one ever sees them), yeah
    And mistakes are just mistakes

Look me in the eyes, tell me how it feels
    to have someone that would kill for you, that would die for you
    Words are just words and eyes don't lie
    My vision is 20/20, hey, baby, come here
    In the end, we just look for peace in our hearts
    Fewer words and many more actions (Ooh)
    Failing is human, I already learned my lessons
    Open book, I say it all in my songs
    Woah-oh, yeah
    Last edited by Averroes; 05-05-2023 at 01:21 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)