Thread: SLIs and flow

Creepy-

Default SLIs and flow

Do you guys identify w the author of this article w the flow state thing?

[original is here]

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg.com
    My Productivity Secret – The Joy of Flow State

What is your productivity secret? Adam “monkatwork” Kayce has tagged me for the Ultimate Guide to Productivity Group Writing Project. It’s a difficult question to answer.

On the one hand, I do get a lot done. People often say to me that they wish they could also do this or that but they don’t have time. Where do I find the time? That’s the thing, much of what people do to make them productive is subconscious.

My secret I think is “flow”.

Have you heard of that before? You almost certainly will have experienced it. It’s that mood/mode where you are in the zone, you are almost on automatic. It feels good and you do good. It’s not quite concentration, and it’s not meditation either, but you do seem to be able to ignore outside distractions. When you get into that flow “thing” creativity and productivity just pour out of you.

Getting into a flow state

I have not looked into this scientifically, it’s a state I drop into automatically when the conditions are right. Here are some tips for achieving this state.

* Clear a space, in your schedule, in your work area and in your head
    * Know what you want to achieve and what it will be like when it is done so you know when to stop
    * Do all your preparation first – like a good chef you want all your ingredients to hand
    * Turn off the email, IM, twitter, and phone
    * Practice - this will only come when you are not finding the actual process challenging, that is do not expect flow when trying out new software or an unfamiliar task. Even then you will need to practice.
    * Don’t try to force it – when it doesn’t come there is usually a good reason

Read more about flow at Wikipedia.

Chris, you are losing it

I know some of you will be thinking this is all pseudo-mystical mumbo jumbo but really it is something very normal and common. Sports people especially know what it is like, but it is difficult to describe all the same. My recommendation is to look out for it, you probably go into flow without noticing. If you get into your work and look up and wonder where the time went, you probably have just experienced it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh sure, I would be surprised if many other types couldn't relate to it as well. It's when you're resolved to do something and you don't think about it at all; you just do it. That's why the writer of the article demanded that you practice the task before you could achieve that state: your mind/muscles will just remember on their own from doing it however many times and will do it again without any need for you to become your own overseer.

For example, take the sport tennis. A lot of thought and effort has to originally be put into practicing a stroke of the racket. At first it may seem difficult and tedious as you twist your arm in odd ways and strike the ball into different ends of the court. However, there comes a time when your muscles understand the stroke from having done it so many times. From that point your muscles can do the stroke without your help and much more efficiently because you're not overthinking the stroke and striking at over/underexaggerated angles, twists of the arm etc. that will lead you to frustration.
    So basically muscle/mind memories just play themselves out, no extra effort required. Now that I think about it in that context, it sounds very SLI
    Feels gewd to be an ISTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaZ View Post
    Oh sure, I would be surprised if many other types couldn't relate to it as well. It's when you're resolved to do something and you don't think about it at all; you just do it. That's why the writer of the article demanded that you practice the task before you could achieve that state: your mind/muscles will just remember on their own from doing it however many times and will do it again without any need for you to become your own overseer.

For example, take the sport tennis. A lot of thought and effort has to originally be put into practicing a stroke of the racket. At first it may seem difficult and tedious as you twist your arm in odd ways and strike the ball into different ends of the court. However, there comes a time when your muscles understand the stroke from having done it so many times. From that point your muscles can do the stroke without your help and much more efficiently because you're not overthinking the stroke and striking at over/underexaggerated angles, twists of the arm etc. that will lead you to frustration.
    So basically muscle/mind memories just play themselves out, no extra effort required. Now that I think about it in that context, it sounds very SLI
    This is interesting. I like your sig! Lol.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by jaZ View Post

Thanks for responding, jaZ.

I'm sure many people experience flow state at certain times, but that description sounded SLI-ish to me, so I thought I'd ask. I like your tennis example; that makes a lot of sense to me.

fwiw I get into a flow state w certain things too [painting, running, and if I'm lucky writing ] but it isn't as often or as easy to get to as I suspect it would be for SLI [or maybe any Ip]. But that's bc my mind won't stop whirring around long enough....