Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subtypes don't exist

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Subtypes don't exist

[web:9280be37b3]http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ru_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww. socionika.info%2ferrors.html[/web:9280be37b3]

See item 8. In classical socionics, subtypes don't exist.

Subtypes are actually a theory which is trying to differentiate persons which would have the same TIM.

Classical socionics is an intellectual typology (i.e. typology of priorities of perception). Some theorists like Gulenko made it a more physiological typology, but Gulenko's socionics is a separate school, Humanitarian Socionics. Gulenko and Augusta do not have the same model. Really, each socionist has his own model. Socionics is an individualistic science.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Subtypes don't exist

[web:9280be37b3]http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ru_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww. socionika.info%2ferrors.html[/web:9280be37b3]

See item 8. In classical socionics, subtypes don't exist.

Subtypes are actually a theory which is trying to differentiate persons which would have the same TIM.

Classical socionics is an intellectual typology (i.e. typology of priorities of perception). Some theorists like Gulenko made it a more physiological typology, but Gulenko's socionics is a separate school, Humanitarian Socionics. Gulenko and Augusta do not have the same model. Really, each socionist has his own model. Socionics is an individualistic science.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Subtypes don't exist

Quote Originally Posted by machintruc
    Really, each socionist has his own model. Socionics is an individualistic science.
    Couldn't agree more. Hell, even I've got my own model and I'm not even a socionist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really, each socionist has his own model. Socionics is an individualistic science.
    Couldn't agree more. Hell, even I've got my own model and I'm not even a socionist.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gulenko and Augusta do not have the same model. Really, each socionist has his own model. Socionics is an individualistic science.
    Thanks, this is a good insight....and looks like a great article. It would be nice if someone were to translate it.

Personally, I think the evidence for subtypes is too strong to say that they don't exist. I'm not sure about Gulenko's views overall; I've heard some things I don't agree with. However, experience with people makes it clear that subtypes do exist. One may argue about the best way of representing or understanding them, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gulenko and Augusta do not have the same model. Really, each socionist has his own model. Socionics is an individualistic science.
    Thanks, this is a good insight....and looks like a great article. It would be nice if someone were to translate it.

Personally, I think the evidence for subtypes is too strong to say that they don't exist. I'm not sure about Gulenko's views overall; I've heard some things I don't agree with. However, experience with people makes it clear that subtypes do exist. One may argue about the best way of representing or understanding them, though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Personally, I think the evidence for subtypes is too strong to say that they don't exist.
    What do "subtypes" really mean ?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Personally, I think the evidence for subtypes is too strong to say that they don't exist.
    What do "subtypes" really mean ?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I seem to fit the descriptions for IEE ethical subtype. But I don't know if I always have. If I have moved in my life from one subtype to another, does that mean that it isn't a subtype at all? Or that subtypes are flexible? I don't know. Also, there could be other explanations for what appears to be subtypes. Not everyone of one type is going to be exactly the same. It could just be an artificial way of trying to divide people by different dispositions or whatever. But it could be argued that all typing is that. But, like I said, there could be other explanations for what appears to be subtypes. It could be mood, where a person is in his/her life, maturity, what other people are in his/her life and what types they are, what stresses are in a person's life, etc.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I seem to fit the descriptions for IEE ethical subtype. But I don't know if I always have. If I have moved in my life from one subtype to another, does that mean that it isn't a subtype at all? Or that subtypes are flexible? I don't know. Also, there could be other explanations for what appears to be subtypes. Not everyone of one type is going to be exactly the same. It could just be an artificial way of trying to divide people by different dispositions or whatever. But it could be argued that all typing is that. But, like I said, there could be other explanations for what appears to be subtypes. It could be mood, where a person is in his/her life, maturity, what other people are in his/her life and what types they are, what stresses are in a person's life, etc.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That, who found his half (with rare exception), it is simple there is no time to sit by hours in the forum and to paint, as they were happy and as by them good.
    Lol great way to mask a "get a life nerd"
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That, who found his half (with rare exception), it is simple there is no time to sit by hours in the forum and to paint, as they were happy and as by them good.
    Lol great way to mask a "get a life nerd"
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Subtypes don't exist in the same way types don't exist. They are just another theoretical schema imposed over a much more varied and variable reality.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Subtypes don't exist in the same way types don't exist. They are just another theoretical schema imposed over a much more varied and variable reality.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

In that case, socionics would be more of an art than a science.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    Come now, this "avoid anything that hints at stability" gig is getting way out of hand. Don't you guys realize that you are damaging psychology's credibility by arguing it cannot be linked to persistent biological factors?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come now, this "avoid anything that hints at stability" gig is getting way out of hand. Don't you guys realize that you are damaging psychology's credibility by arguing it cannot be linked to persistent biological factors?

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    You, my friend, have failed to understand my post, point blank. Buh-bye now.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    You, my friend, have failed to understand my post, point blank. Buh-bye now.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds like the standard "we are all individuals" -statement.

If that statement were true it would mean you also can't say that there are men and women.

Types certainly do exist. Functions are divided in preferences more clearer then blonds are separated from brunettes.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds like the standard "we are all individuals" -statement.

If that statement were true it would mean you also can't say that there are men and women.

Types certainly do exist. Functions are divided in preferences more clearer then blonds are separated from brunettes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typeless Wonder
    I think at this stage it is quite useful to think of socionics that way.
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

martin_g_karlsson

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    I don't totally agree.

Socionics and all psychological related branches are not a science, because of the definition of science made by Karl Popper which states that something is science if it can be falsified. (see google for further information)

But if we would widen the definition so that we can include branches like psychology, then socionics would also be seen as science.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    I don't totally agree.

Socionics and all psychological related branches are not a science, because of the definition of science made by Karl Popper which states that something is science if it can be falsified. (see google for further information)

But if we would widen the definition so that we can include branches like psychology, then socionics would also be seen as science.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Popper's falsification criteria is just one theoretical ideal.
    It is more applicable in some fields than others.
    The concept of value free science is often illusionary anyway.

Personally I just try to avoid getting drawn into debates where no truly objective truth is available in any case.
    You can win an argument and yet be factually wrong, etc.
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Popper's falsification criteria is just one theoretical ideal.
    It is more applicable in some fields than others.
    The concept of value free science is often illusionary anyway.

Personally I just try to avoid getting drawn into debates where no truly objective truth is available in any case.
    You can win an argument and yet be factually wrong, etc.
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    something is science if it can be falsified.
    Don't agree. Science is the study of all things which don't contradict with God.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

something is science if it can be falsified.
    Don't agree. Science is the study of all things which don't contradict with God.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Jarno: I do not think you understand what I'm saying. To use your example:

Yes, there is the male and female dichotomy - how shall we define it? The phenomena of transsexualism, ambiguous genitalia, and gonadal mosaicism have already indicated that a simple biological division is not 100% stable. But, for our purposes, we shall define men as human beings in possession of a phallus and testicles, and women as human beings in possession of a vagina and ovaries, and pretend that anything in between doesn't exist.

Now, most dating advice columnists and gender studies specialists are content to work with humanity on this simple dichotomy. However, what's to stop us from going a step further? There are, after all, different types of men and women. We can further categorize people via sexual orientation. There are homosexuals, bisexuals, and heterosexuals.

Why not go a step further than that? Obviously, there is quite a lot of variation in personality even within just the heterosexual population. This is where type theory comes in.

And here is the point I want you to get from this:

The fact of the matter is, the type of criteria on which one decides to differentiate people is infinite and up to whim. You can categorize people by their affinity for suede, their preference for vaginal or oral sex, their favorite color, blond v. brunette, their use of conjunctions and pronunciation of the word "water", whatever you want. The data will be there to support it. And someone at some point in time HAS compartmentalized their understanding of people by these very criteria, and some by even more quaint-sounding methods. Psychologists like to divide people based on more metaphysical and lofty-sounding concepts - intuition v. sensing (Jung), phallic v. anal retentive (Freud), self-accepting v. self-rejecting (Carl Rogers). Philosophers and mystics have even taken a hand at it - karnatic v. rajasic v. tamasic in Shankaran Vedic (Hindu) philosophy.

The fact is, one can continue to dissect human nature into more and more infinitisimal "functions" or "elements." Socionics is no more a reflection of biological fact than any other such system. And, you fail to remember that Biology itself is a complete simplification of the actual phenomenon. We cannot cognitively comprehend the complexity of the entire system (cells into atoms, atoms into even smaller particles, those particles into even smaller divisions, not to mention the implications of string theory, etc.) and deal with it by means of a theoretic schema that systemizes the seeming chaos.

You may also want to look into Xeno's paradoxes, to understand why I do not think "type" exists. The phenomena it describes exists, but type is nothing but a construct.

And so, taking into account all of this and going back to the original topic: If subtype doesn't exist, why does type exist? Really, what's the difference between taking just one further step in an already arbitrary method of division? That's basically what we are doing when we are dividing people into types, and subtypes. Why not sub-subtypes? Or sub-sub-subtypes? We've already made the leap from Quadra/Club preferences, to temperaments, to types. Three more steps is not blasphemy in this method of conduct. In fact, it's just a continuation in this very same vein.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Jarno: I do not think you understand what I'm saying. To use your example:

Yes, there is the male and female dichotomy - how shall we define it? The phenomena of transsexualism, ambiguous genitalia, and gonadal mosaicism have already indicated that a simple biological division is not 100% stable. But, for our purposes, we shall define men as human beings in possession of a phallus and testicles, and women as human beings in possession of a vagina and ovaries, and pretend that anything in between doesn't exist.

Now, most dating advice columnists and gender studies specialists are content to work with humanity on this simple dichotomy. However, what's to stop us from going a step further? There are, after all, different types of men and women. We can further categorize people via sexual orientation. There are homosexuals, bisexuals, and heterosexuals.

Why not go a step further than that? Obviously, there is quite a lot of variation in personality even within just the heterosexual population. This is where type theory comes in.

And here is the point I want you to get from this:

The fact of the matter is, the type of criteria on which one decides to differentiate people is infinite and up to whim. You can categorize people by their affinity for suede, their preference for vaginal or oral sex, their favorite color, blond v. brunette, their use of conjunctions and pronunciation of the word "water", whatever you want. The data will be there to support it. And someone at some point in time HAS compartmentalized their understanding of people by these very criteria, and some by even more quaint-sounding methods. Psychologists like to divide people based on more metaphysical and lofty-sounding concepts - intuition v. sensing (Jung), phallic v. anal retentive (Freud), self-accepting v. self-rejecting (Carl Rogers). Philosophers and mystics have even taken a hand at it - karnatic v. rajasic v. tamasic in Shankaran Vedic (Hindu) philosophy.

The fact is, one can continue to dissect human nature into more and more infinitisimal "functions" or "elements." Socionics is no more a reflection of biological fact than any other such system. And, you fail to remember that Biology itself is a complete simplification of the actual phenomenon. We cannot cognitively comprehend the complexity of the entire system (cells into atoms, atoms into even smaller particles, those particles into even smaller divisions, not to mention the implications of string theory, etc.) and deal with it by means of a theoretic schema that systemizes the seeming chaos.

You may also want to look into Xeno's paradoxes, to understand why I do not think "type" exists. The phenomena it describes exists, but type is nothing but a construct.

And so, taking into account all of this and going back to the original topic: If subtype doesn't exist, why does type exist? Really, what's the difference between taking just one further step in an already arbitrary method of division? That's basically what we are doing when we are dividing people into types, and subtypes. Why not sub-subtypes? Or sub-sub-subtypes? We've already made the leap from Quadra/Club preferences, to temperaments, to types. Three more steps is not blasphemy in this method of conduct. In fact, it's just a continuation in this very same vein.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are always right if you would go that far into detail (like the paradoxes of Zeno). But isn't it a bit unfair to say that even a clear division of men and woman doesn't exit. Going into that detail immediately closes any debate. Even Bertrand Russel once proved that numbers are paradoxal, but we still use mathmatics today because it's not practical for us human beings to look at thing in that detail. If we draw the line at a reasonable hight, were men and woman can be catagorized then the 16 types also exist.

I've got one argument why socionics is a better way of typing people then the ones that exist, like enneagram etc.

Socionics is discovered while investigation the reason behind working and non-working relationships. Those can be explained with many variables, like physical attraction etc. Augusta discovered that personality compatability was the most important variable. The personality was explained using the types. Therefor I would claim that explaining personality of people with the 16 types is most useful for us human beings.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are always right if you would go that far into detail (like the paradoxes of Zeno). But isn't it a bit unfair to say that even a clear division of men and woman doesn't exit. Going into that detail immediately closes any debate. Even Bertrand Russel once proved that numbers are paradoxal, but we still use mathmatics today because it's not practical for us human beings to look at thing in that detail. If we draw the line at a reasonable hight, were men and woman can be catagorized then the 16 types also exist.

I've got one argument why socionics is a better way of typing people then the ones that exist, like enneagram etc.

Socionics is discovered while investigation the reason behind working and non-working relationships. Those can be explained with many variables, like physical attraction etc. Augusta discovered that personality compatability was the most important variable. The personality was explained using the types. Therefor I would claim that explaining personality of people with the 16 types is most useful for us human beings.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But isn't it a bit unfair to say that even a clear division of men and woman doesn't exit.
    I don't think so. Why would it be unfair? There are exceptions in every direction we look - biological, social, cultural, and psychological. How do we define this division? It is not at all useful to consider this division 100% foolproof or even 70% foolproof.

But yes, I agree that we do reach a point where the level of detail will exceed all practicality. I don't think it necessarily closes any debate, though. On the contrary, I think it opens doors to true understanding.

Well, my issue here is that, what Augusta actually did was observe the phenomenon of compatibility and then explain it using her lexicon - a mix of Jung, Freud, Kępiński, and her own concepts. Anyone can observe compatibility. Anyone can describe it, and they can do so in different (and possibly even more practical and accurate) terms than Augusta did. It isn't Socionics dynamics that determines compatibility, but the phenomenon that Socionics dynamics describes. Other people have described the same phenomenon using different terms. (For my money, Socionics has been generally more successful than other methods I've come accross, but that isn't to say a more accurate and successful means of describing compatibility does not exists somewhere, and will not exist somewhere in the future.)

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But isn't it a bit unfair to say that even a clear division of men and woman doesn't exit.
    I don't think so. Why would it be unfair? There are exceptions in every direction we look - biological, social, cultural, and psychological. How do we define this division? It is not at all useful to consider this division 100% foolproof or even 70% foolproof.

But yes, I agree that we do reach a point where the level of detail will exceed all practicality. I don't think it necessarily closes any debate, though. On the contrary, I think it opens doors to true understanding.

Well, my issue here is that, what Augusta actually did was observe the phenomenon of compatibility and then explain it using her lexicon - a mix of Jung, Freud, Kępiński, and her own concepts. Anyone can observe compatibility. Anyone can describe it, and they can do so in different (and possibly even more practical and accurate) terms than Augusta did. It isn't Socionics dynamics that determines compatibility, but the phenomenon that Socionics dynamics describes. Other people have described the same phenomenon using different terms. (For my money, Socionics has been generally more successful than other methods I've come accross, but that isn't to say a more accurate and successful means of describing compatibility does not exists somewhere, and will not exist somewhere in the future.)

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what mach. posted looked to me to be a theoretical reason why one shouldn't accept subtypes, and you can't really say that that reason is false by applying practical reasons. You can say that there are practical reasons why one shouldn't use subtypes though-- and I guess it's up to proponents of "subtypes exist" theory to provide practical reasons why they do "exist" or are practically existing.

I for one think that a theory of subtypes might explain my relationships better than the one right now; I may or may not be right about that.

EDIT: oops, didn't see Baby had replied already.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what mach. posted looked to me to be a theoretical reason why one shouldn't accept subtypes, and you can't really say that that reason is false by applying practical reasons. You can say that there are practical reasons why one shouldn't use subtypes though-- and I guess it's up to proponents of "subtypes exist" theory to provide practical reasons why they do "exist" or are practically existing.

I for one think that a theory of subtypes might explain my relationships better than the one right now; I may or may not be right about that.

EDIT: oops, didn't see Baby had replied already.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think of socionics descriptions not so much as descriptions of actual behavior, but of optimums cq. extremes of behavior, eg. If a person were to live the charicature of an 'analyst' to the extreme, what kind of person would he be? Adopt this way of thinking and it becomes a mere triviality wether or not evolution forces humans to converge to such extremes and to lock themselves into position with no hopes of changing. The extreme itself is real and can be constructively spoken about.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think of socionics descriptions not so much as descriptions of actual behavior, but of optimums cq. extremes of behavior, eg. If a person were to live the charicature of an 'analyst' to the extreme, what kind of person would he be? Adopt this way of thinking and it becomes a mere triviality wether or not evolution forces humans to converge to such extremes and to lock themselves into position with no hopes of changing. The extreme itself is real and can be constructively spoken about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast