TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default It's time for: Guess the Information Element

Organizing and planning stuff,

as in, making to-do lists, or being an event planner.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like external dynamics of objects? (Better known as Te.)
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Creepy-bg

do you think different types of events would make a difference? Let's say a family reuinion compared to a theoretical physics symposium?

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about that. I think the kind of planning involved as opposed to what it is might be the dealbreaker. I don't like making to-do lists, but don't mind organizing/planning in practice or just keeping track in my head of who needs to be called to do what,etc. Paper plans usually end up under lost under my bed never to be found again until three years later.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: It's time for: Guess the Information Element

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    Organizing and planning stuff,

as in, making to-do lists, or being an event planner.
    probably Te.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that sounds more like a rational quality than anything
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    do you think different types of events would make a difference? Let's say a family reuinion compared to a theoretical physics symposium?
    Good question. You'd think planning a wedding or something like that would have something to do with Si too.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of me thinks it's a rational thing and maybe even an extraverted rational thing. Like an Fe-dominant type might like to do event planning, and a Te-dominant type might write out lists of jobs that need to be done.

But then I know irrational types with creative Te who write out lists for things. Not just my husband either. I definitely see arguments for thinking it's just Te.

Maybe it's about the reason for writing out a list or organizing something more than whether a list is written or something is organized.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rational & . ESE, EIE, LSE, and LIE are defined by their planning and organizing abilities. But they differ in how they plan and organize as well as the utility or function of these events. But if strictly going off of the title of "event planner," I would be inclined to think due to the social aspect implied therein.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this topic.

Anyway, my ESFj friends/family and ESTj co-workers tend to have so many "to-do" lists that I think I might have started thinking it might have something to do with an polr.
    Socionics: XNFx
    MBTI: INFJ

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Megan
    I like this topic.

Anyway, my ESFj friends/family and ESTj co-workers tend to have so many "to-do" lists that I think I might have started thinking it might have something to do with an polr.
    haha I can agree with this... my mom's ESFj and my dad's ESTj. Our house is overflowing with lists

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To clarify, I ask because an ISFp I know believes that this is her main strength, and I was having a hard time figuring out whether it was really true, or just due to Super-Ego obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Rational & . ESE, EIE, LSE, and LIE are defined by their planning and organizing abilities. But they differ in how they plan and organize as well as the utility or function of these events. But if strictly going off of the title of "event planner," I would be inclined to think due to the social aspect implied therein.
    That could very well be. I would say it's just temperament (rather than a specific function) if it wasn't an ISFp.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To clarify, I ask because an ISFp I know believes that this is her main strength, and I was having a hard time figuring out whether it was really true, or just due to Super-Ego obsession.
    i also know an ISFp who (i think) is extremely good at this. and she does perceive it as her main strength as well. i agree w/ megan's observations about listmaking and organizing and sometimes i also wonder if they're related to -polrs. however, like nicky, i also know at least one guy who i think could be a type (reminds me very much of our heathiep) who makes all sorts of lists and organizing schemes, but they're more or less for his own benefit. highly organized.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Creepy-bg

I'm really good at organizing people and stuff to get things done... I guess I make lists but it's more a matter of thinking on paper than anything I'll use later to keep things organized. I'm generally unorganized and take a "wing it" approach in my daily life I think. But when I'm working it's the opposite... generally I have a plan for everything (while still remaining very flexable) I was a really good manager if that says anything... and generally the go-to-guy for when people needed things planned out or whatnot.

heh I guess I'd have to go with the ISFp stereotype here and say that I do consider this stuff one of my strengths, but I'm not psychotic or narcasistic about it or anything. It's there, I use it when I have to... when I don't- I just go with the flow.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sensing preference

Personally I have never made a to-do list in my entire life and I refuse to even think about the concept of being bound to a schedule. I have to-do lists in my head, of course, but putting them in writing would be too restrictive.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    sensing preference

Personally I have never made a to-do list in my entire life and I refuse to even think about the concept of being bound to a schedule. I have to-do lists in my head, of course, but putting them in writing would be too restrictive.
    Yes. Making to-do lists, as has already been pointed out, is more of a thing.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there are other dichotomies and temperaments to it though. Certainly other types besides Si types make to do lists.
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I think there are other dichotomies and temperaments to it though. Certainly other types besides Si types make to do lists.
    Tactics!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactical (NP SJ):
    1.Focus on the actions to be performed, with the goal unsettled.
    2.a. Their goal is defined by how well it fits with their methods.
    b. Their goal is modified according to their methods.
    3.All possibilities are given equal weight.
    4.Avoid setting long-term goals, and if they find their actions directed towards a specific goal, they may feel 'down' upon reaching it. Accordingly, they are not inclined to have a specific purpose for what they do (other than, e.g., “curiosity”).
    5.Manipulate methods – examine and compare methods to find the best.
    6.“For each choice you make, there are several more to come. There is time to find a purpose along the way.”
    Strategic (NJ SP):
    1.Focus on the goal to reach, with the actions to get there unsettled.
    2.a. Their methods are defined by how well they fit their goal.
    b. Their methods are modified according to their goal.
    3.What DID happen is given more weight than what COULD have happened, and more weight is given to those events that had the most effect on the current situation.
    4.Feel uncomfortable if forced to deviate from their goals, or if they find themselves without purpose. Accordingly, they rarely function without a purpose.
    5.Manipulate goals – examine and compare goals and put them into a hierarchy.
    6.“The point is not whether a task is important or not, but the reason for its doing.”
    Their reasons for writing them may be different, but I don't see how a Tactics type is more likely to write goal or to do lists than a Statics types. The same thing applies to this dichotomy:

Process (NTp NFj SFp STj):
    1.Feel themselves 'immersed' in a process, and therefore have a difficult time multitasking.
    2.Tend to view a process as a whole, indissoluble, and have a difficult time coming starting and stopping in the middle of a process, preferring to finish it in one go.
    3.“I have a hard time stopping what I'm doing – like when I'm reading a book, but know I have to go to sleep. I'll continue right through the end of the chapter and several pages into the next before I finally stop. It's just that the idea of something ending kind of frightens me.”
    Result (NTj NFp SFj STp):
    1.Feel themselves on the 'outside' of a process, and thus easily multitask.
    2.Tend to perceive a process through their estimations of its progress/results, and may not notice something is wrong until it shows up in these estimations.
    3.“I feel like a juggler, with processes for knives. Each has a beginning and an end. The most terrible thing would be if a process never ended.”
    I make to do lists of little things that need to get done because they serve as reminders for me. If I don't do it, the little things may never get done, and then they escalate into big things (a little think would be paying a parking ticket before the amount increases, or making a phone call to set up an appointment, or emailing a business contact to lay the groundwork for a project that's coming up). I also put errands and appointments on the same paper to serve as a schedule for the day, and chores and whatnot are arranged around them. On really busy days I'll even list things like "lunch". If there's a lot of things on the list and I don't know if I'll be able to get them all done that day, I'll put a mark next to the ones that absolutely have to get done. I cross off stuff once it is done. Hmmmm... I think I may just scan in an example...
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many times I'll work off of one list for 2 or 3 days. Some things go on my list everyday for weeks... like buying work shoes or putting together the bookshelves... and they only get crossed off of one list when they're being added to another.

SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, in my case, the list making probably isn't related to socionics. It's a strategy I've learned to use to deal with whatever the hell my problem is.
    SEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those look like my mom's lists. ):
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more or less the same for me.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    same here. i find it to be a sign that my life is totally not going in the sort of direction i want it to if i start having to make lists and such and over-organize myself.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    same here. i find it to be a sign that my life is totally not going in the sort of direction i want it to if i start having to make lists and such and over-organize myself.
    I would expect most irrational types to say that

those look like my mom's lists. ):
    like I said... this probably isn't type related in my case... it has more to do with cognitive impairment
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrong. Two J parents here and none of the has to-do lists.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrong. Two J parents here and none of the has to-do lists.
    What does that have to do with what I said?
    SEE

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am far from organized, but I do use to do lists and daily checklists.

After my daughter was born, i noticed that i began forgetting an awful lot of things that i'd wanted to do or that needed to be done. And I've always had difficulties revolving around finances, such as when to pay this/that bill, how much grocery money do I have this month, etc. So i set up my bills to be payed by the 5th of the month (I get payed on the third). After all the bills are payed, then I know how much money I have for things like groceries, etc. And I began making lists of places I had to go to to get all those bills payed. But since, at the time, I didn't have a car, my mother drove me. So I had to make sure that the places I had to go to where set up in a fairly straight (or U shaped) line to prevent gas wastage and frazzling my mother's nerves. Then I began using to do lists as a way of thinking out loud and a way of reviewing what it was i was just thinking.

Today, I make tons of to do lists. That doesn't mean I follow through with them. I just make them a lot. I think it's actually impeded my memory abilities though because once something is written down on the list, it's "safe" to forget it because all I'd have to do is read the list again to "remember" it. But if I place items on the list in separated spaces on the paper, it becomes easier for me to remember something by remembering its location on the paper. Since I've moved to this place, lists are very important. Going into town is a bit of a trip, uses quite a bit of gas and quite a bit of time. I only do it once maybe twice a week. This means that I have to make sure I get as much done in town as I can, preferably as efficient as I can. So now-a-days I'm regularly seen with a piece of paper and pencil in hand as I run around town getting things done.

Speaking of getting things done, there is a system set up for people like me which is actually called "Getting Things Done". It's a very simple and easy program to follow if you think out loud on paper. I don't follow the whole program, mostly just the inbox and next action steps.

Oh, and when I want to incorporate a set of new habits into my lifestyle, then I use a daily checklist to help remind me to do that/those habits. But when I do it is usually left up to me and my moods.

As such, I consider to do lists and daily checklists to be a form of flexible "organization".
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*snip*

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    Today, I make tons of to do lists. That doesn't mean I follow through with them. I just make them a lot. I think it's actually impeded my memory abilities though because once something is written down on the list, it's "safe" to forget it because all I'd have to do is read the list again to "remember" it.
    *snip*

i agree mostly with your entire post. i especially agree with this point, which is almost one of the reasons i try to avoid to-do lists. it does seem to impair your natural memory somewhat because you wind up with this little reliable "backup" memory/assistant thing that allows you to slack and such.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it does seem to impair your natural memory somewhat because you wind up with this little reliable "backup" memory/assistant thing that allows you to slack and such.
    What if you never had one in the first place?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it does seem to impair your natural memory somewhat because you wind up with this little reliable "backup" memory/assistant thing that allows you to slack and such.
    What if you never had one in the first place?
    I used to have a good memory as well as sharp mental acuity. The loss of these things is the cause for my list making, not the result. I've never been good at staying on top of day to day chores and errands, but I wasn't totally out of it much of the time, either.
    SEE

Creepy-Diana