Thread: Raymond B Cattell

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Raymond B. Cattell

Cattell was the founder of the "factor analysis" method of assessing personality. The idea behind factor analysis was that if there was an important facet of human personality to note, it would have already been defined into a single word by people throughout history. So Cattell and his team set to combing the dictionary, "analyzing" each word into a common "factor", until eventually sixteen distinct factors were defined. A person was measured by a scale of preference for these factors. Later, other researchers simplified these factors into smaller parts, leaving only three and then upped to five. These five words are what constitutes the "Big Five" so popular to psychologists today.

Anyway, I have reason to believe that Cattell may have been an INTp. For one, he was lost in his own mind. He would lay in bed for hours thinking about new ideas and running experiments in his mind. He had so many thoughts going through his head, that he often recorded his ideas with a tape recorder (I should get one of those.) He also had a habit of overworking himself, where he would stay in his laboratory until midnight, when everyone was long gone by then. He was incredibly absent-minded, and the only reason he could find his car after work was because it was the only one left in the lot. Beyondism, a religion he invented, seems to me to come from the carelessness of the INTp's common over-confidence.

Just a thought.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mean the 16pf? I took that test ...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have plenty better to do; this was just a random thought...

Yes, if that's what it is nowadays. I highly dislike scale-preference tests, because they try to generalize personality into a numerical value and go no further than that. There are many critics of these types of tests, especially of the "Big Five", so your best bet is to ignore any tests of the sort. I mean, they are fun and all, but useless to you.

Which is why I like Socionics so much. The most dangerous kind of test is one that tries to pigeonhole you into a generality, using the most evil of phrases like "usually" or "most of the time". Now that I think of it, every personality test is like this.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

//..//

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as;dflkj
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    I have plenty better to do; this was just a random thought...

Yes, if that's what it is nowadays. I highly dislike scale-preference tests, because they try to generalize personality into a numerical value and go no further than that. There are many critics of these types of tests, especially of the "Big Five", so your best bet is to ignore any tests of the sort. I mean, they are fun and all, but useless to you.

Which is why I like Socionics so much. The most dangerous kind of test is one that tries to pigeonhole you into a generality, using the most evil of phrases like "usually" or "most of the time". Now that I think of it, every personality test is like this.
    I do not know about that cone, the test sure pegged my ENTp butt ...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not know about that cone, the test sure pegged my ENTp butt ...
    If the test kept all the numbers on one side, but just changed their values, you would still say the same thing. And chances are, if it told you that you were "introverted", "accomodating", or whatever else, you would still agree with it.

There are many critics against these tests. They show that these traits don't explain why a shy woman becomes talkative about her problems under stress (INFp perhaps?), or why a nasty, old cheapskate donates thousands to charities every year. Now, Socionics does try to explain this, sort of. It's just much harder to prove.

And contrary to the words "most psychologists agree on it", the Big Five is probably the worst out of all these scale-preference tests.