Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Plus, was it my imagination, or was Brandt (Taye Diggs) displaying emotion throughout the whole film?
    yeah, I was thinking that too... some of it was fake emotion (like when he smiled, it was usually just "being polite"), but sometimes there was this smugness ... and when he was arrested I thought there was actual emotion there (unless he was just acting, since it was an "act"). He really seemed like a sociopath to be honest; I'm not sure that he really needed to be taking his dose (if he even was). "Father" displayed some manner of emotion as well. So then I was wondering why the main character didn't "intuit" these things. Anyway, it disturbed the contrast of "no emotion" vs. "emotion," but it was a really hypocritical society. Maybe feelings like smugness and gratification after killing "sense offenders" weren't acknowledged as "emotion," because these things were "good" in the society, just like the "national spirit" was "good." Which was of course rather ironic, since what they had really done was obliterate everything actually "good" to get rid of violence and war, while retaining a sort of psychopathic (faintly emotional) appreciation for violence on a smaller scale. But that of course was the entire point; that it wasn't any better and in fact was worse.

I liked the similarities with 1984. :tongue:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    yeah, I was thinking that too... some of it was fake emotion (like when he smiled, it was usually just "being polite"), but sometimes there was this smugness ... and when he was arrested I thought there was actual emotion there (unless he was just acting, since it was an "act").
    I basically agree, although even if he was just "being polite", it would still have been regarded as emotion.

He really seemed like a sociopath to be honest; I'm not sure that he really needed to be taking his dose (if he even was).

"Father" displayed some manner of emotion as well. So then I was wondering why the main character didn't "intuit" these things.
    Yes, I noticed that with Father as well. Do you think the guy who plays him and Taye Diggs are Fe IRL? That might have something to do with it. Also, Christian Bale is, what, LSI IRL? That would explain why he is so bad at picking it up.

Anyway, it disturbed the contrast of "no emotion" vs. "emotion," but it was a really hypocritical society. Maybe feelings like smugness and gratification after killing "sense offenders" weren't acknowledged as "emotion," because these things were "good" in the society, just like the "national spirit" was "good." Which was of course rather ironic, since what they had really done was obliterate everything actually "good" to get rid of violence and war, while retaining a sort of psychopathic (faintly emotional) appreciation for violence on a smaller scale. But that of course was the entire point; that it wasn't any better and in fact was worse.
    Interesting thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    Yes, that, but also the way he dealt with the McLovin ID in the carpark: "OH FUCK EVERYTHING IS FUCKED OH FUCK FUCK FUCK". Not the kind of thing I'd imagine an SLE would do.
    lol, yes.

Hmm. What exactly indicates his Si ego to you? I've only seen the movie once, but I'll watch it again and take notes. One of the things that made me think Ni though was the reason he gave for pushing Becca away: "This isn't right... this isn't how I imagined it would be." There's more, but that's the only thing I remember.
    That's interesting - I didn't take note of that before. I just saw how he didn't like being pulled into all of Seth's many endeavours; I saw it as a Si valuing retraction from Se. Like when he says "l've just sat around wasting all my time with you. And now I'm going to college a fucking friendless virgin". However, you could be right. This could be a Ni valuer becoming independent from Se pursuits. Also, he talks about time rather than sensory stuff. Okay, maybe IEI is more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by krae View Post
    All badass and or good movies are Beta.
    lol

I actually tend to think Gamma films are pretty good.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akra View Post
    "El Laberinto del Fauno" (Pan's Labyrinth) just seemed like a Beta film overall. Unsure of individual character's typings, but meh. I liked it.
    I'd probably agree.

The fascist captain was Beta ST. Pan was probably LSI. Ofelia was, I think Ne/Si, as was her mother (more likely Delta than Alpha).

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Cyrus

This is a funny and entertaining movie that's got the right kinda Beta touch to it. A love between an SLE and IEI (the X wife has to be EII); it's perfect...

CYRUS - Official Trailer - Bing Videos

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0bYpMQ-fI"]YouTube- CYRUS - Official Trailer[/ame]
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xerxes is better.

Creepy-

BMW Films - The Hire.
    there are eight films. this is one of them

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Biutiful

A wonderful and beautiful Beta movie saw with LSE friend today.

-
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw a trailer for that a while ago. I do like his work.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The 400 Blows?

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fight Club

Closer (Mike Nichols) - super-handsome Clive Owen, gorgeous Natalie Portman, beautiful and talented Julia Roberts and banal Jude Law lmao .... no really, it´s a great film apart from everything, watch it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eY4YKnhsKQ

Body Heat : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AA_OzWyBqs (just watch the trailer, it´s so lousy, you can laugh to death ... ´81 though)

Fatal Attraction

Basic Instinct

Amelie ? (IEI only)

Woody Allen´s Vicki Christina Barcelona (SLI - EIE-SLE-ESI "love drama") : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-RdUcXAKiw

A Streetcar Named Desire (IEI-SLE classic story?)

Who´s Afraid of Virginia Woolf - maybe Beta Quadra-like. I could see LSI-EIE or ESI-LIE, dunno

Hemingway and Gellhorn (yeah, ok, SLE and LIE / ILI imo ...but still) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=436eNdCUvEQ
    ..to be continued .
    Last edited by Amber; 06-15-2014 at 09:04 AM.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AshSun View Post
    Fight Club
    Maybe that is why I think it is the most overrated film in the history of cinema with the most insufferable characters. Too bad because the novel is not bad at all, strangely.

@Maritsa, I am asking this years later, but what makes you think Biutiful is beta?
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

closer was a good movie but it made me feel kind of empty inside.

ingmar bergman is iei, right? ive only seen persona. (which was fantastic)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Maybe that is why I think it is the most overrated film in the history of cinema with the most insufferable characters. Too bad because the novel is not bad at all, strangely.

@Maritsa, I am asking this years later, but what makes you think Biutiful is beta?
    Hah! one could say the movie is insufferable in comparison to the book even here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDQDwoFe6Ko
    .... but I love Day Lewis, Juliette Binoche and Lena Olin ... yes, even her, I think the actress is a SLE-Ti herself, a good one. As for the characters , I´d say LSI- ESE/IEI -SLE-Se

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Match Point?
    Mmmm such desire for social ascension and Drama ...Beta "can do" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt8YarlEcwI

Then some good Almodovar films ...they have the "Beta vibe" and program . E.g. Carne tremula : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYLgjp9yON0 (some SLE - LSI - whatever "love" story) ** Francesca Neri is incredible, probably LSI Sx something irl

Girl, interrupted perhaps (Beta NF + psychopathic SLE?)

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe Chinese Roulette (Fassbinder)

Marriage of Maria Braun

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

World on a Wire seems Beta/Gamma, maybe.

There's also Fox and his Friends (the clips are mixed in with a morrissey song for some reason..only one I could find)..

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Raging Bull?

---

Les Cousins (Chabrol)..the protagonist seems like he might be IxFj, although his cousin (with the goatee) and his crew seem like stereotypical Betas.

The message of the film is maybe a bit more Fi-flavored though...it's obvious who the viewer is expected to sympathize with throughout. It isn't the most flattering depiction of Beta group-dynamics.
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-03-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Belle de Jour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJXLCYZMGQ8

(this could also be about Gammas with hidden dreams)

Polanski - Repulsion : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0niGPR5S4

(this is a IEI who thinks the guy is a SLE)

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Une Femme est une Femme (Godard)..guessing the protagonist is IEI.

Breathless (Godard)..SLE/IEI couple?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This:

Artemisia = SLE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terkel in Trouble. Very Fe.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not so sure, what beta movie themes really are, but I give some examples of movies that I found not only to be entertaining, but moved me. Movies, I had to think about for a while, because they made my mind and heart work.

Perfect Sense
    Very much like an apocalypse movie. A mysterious disease befalls humankind, causing the people to loose their sensory perceptions. The loss of a sense is preceded by an outburst of a feeling or urge.
    The essence of the movie is basically to tell that the only thing that matters is love. In the end, it's a love story between two people played by Ewan McGregor and Eva Green. The actors are both beta types, most likely beta NF.

Cashback
    Girl breaks up with guy. Guy is sad and cannot sleep anymore. Decides to spend the time working in a supermarket to gain more money because he's a poor art student. There he is bored and after finding a method to freeze time, he creates nude drawings of the female customers. He also falls in love with his colleague. In the end another love story.But I must say I enjoyed the humor of this movie, it's very subtle, but I liked it.

The supermarket's boss is actually the most funny character in the movie:

Love is like an energy, rushing in, rushing inside of me...

TIM
    Fe-INFp 6w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely agree with Fight Club, Gangs of New York, The Departed, Hero, and Mean Girls. The last of which I don't think was completely negative either. Janis was probably Beta (EIE?) too, the only character whose quadra I'm pretty much sure of. I'm almost sure of Regina (SLE) and Cady (IEI), but Regina could be SEE and Cady could be pretty much anything.

Anything ever directed by Christopher Nolan also probably fits. And anything by Kubrick or Coppola. Also, my boyfriend is obsessed with The Crow and Oliver Stone's biopic on Nixon. Both are pretty Beta-ish, reflecting on the themes and ethos of each.

The Motorcycle Diaries is a clear-cut one, I think. Che Guevara and his friend go on a road trip, Che eventually gets bored and ends up being much more interested in the hopes, dreams, and suffering of the people around him than the getting drunk and wacky hijinks they set out for.
    Last edited by Strangelove; 03-07-2014 at 04:43 PM.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant; possible EIE-IEI romance?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Going through Andrei Tarkovsky's films..

Stalker
    Stalker - IEI or EII
    The Professor - LSI or SLI
    The Writer - EIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gORBHwzykJM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qpgL6ndEQU

Andrei Rublev
    Andrei - EII
    The Bell Tower boy - EIE

Ivan's Childhood
    Ivan - EIE

Solaris
    Kris Kelvin - EIE-Ni
    Hari - xEI
    Dr. Sartorius - ILI
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-23-2014 at 07:29 PM.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The movie divergent. The faction called dauntless is very beta. Even the main characters are beta, IEI and LSI (movie types NOT book types). The book is more delta. IMHO the authors writing is kinda plain and the drama is blah. Plus I never know when I'm supposed to be reading an action sequence or just a normal conversation

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last edited by suedehead; 07-27-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The Reader portrays an IEI-SLE duality

quite a few betas seem to like Tron

The Grand Budapest Hotel - beta rational movie

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    The Reader portrays an IEI-SLE duality

quite a few betas seem to like Tron

The Grand Budapest Hotel - beta rational movie

Do you think the actor himself is Beta? (Ralph Fiennes) I can't really pin him down, but he's among my favorite, I only see he's got an intensity of Sx first and probably E5 in his general demeanor.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Are Carey Mulligan and Michael Fassbender in Shame an example of SLE - IEI brother - sister (however incestuous ) "love"?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Do you think the actor himself is Beta? (Ralph Fiennes) I can't really pin him down, but he's among my favorite, I only see he's got an intensity of Sx first and probably E5 in his general demeanor.
    I've heard INFj.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-Ralph-Fiennes

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Charlotte (Red dress) - EIE
    Last edited by suedehead; 06-06-2014 at 03:54 AM.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    He appears in beta ensembles more often than not so a Beta typing is plausible. I've seen some ISTj typings of him and he certainly has the refinement of a beta rational but I haven't read through his interviews to verify. Wrt sx first I would agree and have added him to the sx/sp board but something about him tells me that he might actually be sx/so.

a few more Beta Ni movies

Tarkovsky's "Stalker" (turn on cc for english subtitles)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He appears in beta ensembles more often than not so a Beta typing is plausible. I've seen some ISTj typings of him and he certainly has the refinement of a beta rational but I haven't read through his interviews to verify. Wrt sx first I would agree and have added him to the sx/sp board but something about him tells me that he might actually be sx/so.

I've considered LSI-Ti for him, but he's a bit too mellow somehow. However that would explain the appeal he has to me despite my not finding him objectively handsome. He has IJ vibes all the way. I think sx/sp, it looks like a bottled up intensity, less projective and self-assuredly directed towards a whole array of others.
    In The English Patient he did a cool role for a Sx/sp with Kristin Scott Thomas.
    Last edited by Amber; 06-08-2014 at 01:41 PM.

TIM
    SLE, ESTp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice film about two girls: Amanda ESTp and Iris INFj

Amanda found the most wonderful INFp I've ever seen

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom DiCillo-directed movies: The Real Blonde & Living in Oblivion.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see the Amanda character from the Holiday as ESE?

You know what though? Nevermind, hadn't put much thought into it anyway.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tarkovsky's "Stalker" (turn on cc for english subtitles)
    How would you type the characters in the film? I thought:

Stalker - IEI>LSI
    The writer - EIE
    The Proffessor - SLI, does his own thing, not Fe-receptive. Him and the writer dislike eachother from the start.
    Last edited by suedehead; 06-15-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast