Questionnaires are not yet a reliable thing. Percieving types would show lots of contradictory traits, and Judging types would show an high lie scale, because they tend to percieve reality as what it should be, rather than the raw reality itself. VI isn't reliable either, and observation assessing needs experience. I needed myself several months to be sure I was really a LII (honestly, I'm 92-94% sure of my type). Relative method (i.e. assessing types by first assessing intertype relationships) needs lots of experience and confidence for previous typing.

There can be alternate forms of assessing, such as :

- Colour test : preferences 1-8 would reflect functions 1-8.
- Photo test : Filatova uses it to discriminate S-N, and E-I. Sensing means detail-oriented, and Intuitive means global-oriented. Extrotim means absolute describing of things, and Introtim means relative describing of things (i.e. by subjective feelings).
- Shoot-em-up test : play any shoot-em-up video game. An Introtim will normally make less movements than an Extrotim.
- Phone Number test : give someone a phone number (example : 10 25 20). An Extrotim will normally memorise it as "10 25 20", as an Introtim would rather memorise it as "10 (add 15) (substract 5)".

There could be even others...