Thread: help me type this former student of mine

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default help me type this former student of mine.

he's a lawyer, seems big time into self-improvement. rather athletic for his age & works out regularly. plays the classical guitar in his spare time and is really interested in mastering some of the romance languages. i helped him out a few summers ago when i was in college by tutoring him in spanish & french, and went as far as to send me a thank-you note + joked about he occasionally still watches a lot of mexican channels, then (jokingly) said his wife thought he was just watching it to look at the latin women. i'm sucking at remembering details about him, but there you go.

http://www.timescourier.com/042601/lanceyfantasy.html - something he wrote in the newspaper here.

i have a few ideas.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESTj.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    ESTj.
    i somehow thought ISTp, but maybe ESTj works a little better! he comes off as an "extroverted introvert" if that makes any sense at all. IRL he has the typical "calm" ISTp face, but perhaps EJ temperament makes more sense. my first impression was that he seemed like "less cocky" version of my sister's ISTj beau.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

entj - estjs don't make those kind of jokes to their wives
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    entj
    that i also considered. seemed obv though. we get along really well. he did have the (what i attribute to) lack of problem of not picking up on foreign accents very well, no matter how hard i tried to correct him, he would continue to produce the wrong sounds.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

entj
    I doubt it. I can't see an ENTj voluntarily writing such a Si-loaded article as that one. I kept thinking, "yes, yes, who cares about the bloody physical details, get to the bloody point!"

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

entj
    I doubt it. I can't see an ENTj voluntarily writing such a Si-loaded article as that one. I kept thinking, "yes, yes, who cares about the bloody physical details, get to the bloody point!"
    Jack London does the same thing with details...
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, ok. But perhaps because he wanted to write commercial books for that age's taste? His novels were his breadwinner, not a hobby.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, was it smilingeyes who said that the negativist EJs are more like, "how am i doing?" vs. the positivists who are like, "you're doing great and can do even better!" this guy was certainly a "how am i doing?" guy. also very dependable. he totally realized the amount of straight up practice and work that he would need to put into learning a FL to actually do it, which is great because a lot of people here seem to think you can just sort of download it into your brain a la mental internet. usually did whatever was required of him.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

entj
    Agreed. Si Questioner seems likely.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

estjs don't make those kind of jokes to their wives
    Why?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    estjs don't make those kind of jokes to their wives
    Why?
    to clarify, he was making the joke to me (in the letter,) regarding his wife.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    entj
    Something else,

Given that this guy is ESTj, it's strange how Alpha SFs' writing can seem so much drier than Delta STs', because they are Declarers.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

entj
    Something else,

Given that this guy is ESTj, it's strange how Alpha SFs' writing can seem so much drier than Delta STs', because they are Declarers.

give an (IRL) example, if you can. i misstyped an ESFj ex that i cannot stand as ESTj because his writing seemed so "dry" and "formal" that i figured he had to be a logical type and maybe i were just some INFp.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

entj
    Something else,

give an (IRL) example, if you can. i misstyped an ESFj ex that i cannot stand as ESTj because his writing seemed so "dry" and "formal" that i figured he had to be a logical type and maybe i were just some INFp.
    Will do.

Note that personal communications like e-mail or IMs are much more likely to be full of Fe (especially for ISFps), I was talking mainly about formal writing.

This is from a Lit essay:

Quote Originally Posted by An ISFp
    Abbas the barber from Midaq Alley, is kind of resigned. Neither outstanding happy nor unhappy with his situation, he accepts his life and all ist facesttes the way it is and always was. He is comfortable with his life but not extraordinary happy. Although he has dreams, especially of one women called Hamida, consuetude and sloth and of course fear to destroy, what he has at the moment of her, namely the ability to dream about having her as a wife, make him not dare and not want to be proactive. If he took the initiative there are two things likely to happen. Maybe Hamida would accept to be his wife, and maybe she would shout, at him to leave. That is what change is about, you can win and you can loose but if you don’t try you will never know in which direction your life could have moved. Abbas has the ability to stay in the situation he is at the book’s beginning forever, without becoming desperate or having the feeling of having waste his life. That is because at this point he has no knowledge about which doors will stand open for him if he just opens them, if he opens himself for the change; at this point he does not know how his life could develope if he abandons himself to the change. But the fear of loosing everything that accounts for this life, which he does not dislike, for to try something, for to chose another pathway, that could bring neverending happyness but also on the other hand is linked to great risks, makes him remain in his situation. Naguib Mahfuz expresses in the character Abbas at the beginning of the novel that it is very difficult to accept change. He wants to say that change does not always include positive sides, but without change there is neither a chance for good development nor the possibility to make bad experiences. But even if changing resulted in a desaster, would it in addition result in experience, experience that takes us further in life and which enlarges the horizont. It follows that change is the most significant part of life. Without change there were no life to live because life depends on change, living means going through changes, developing and grow from experiences. That is what Naguib Mahfouz expresses and he goes on with the character development of Abbas, in order to show, wether it is really worth to go through that change.
    There's a lot of Ti HA going on there, obviously.