Thread: Testing - a waste of time?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Testing - a waste of time?

Dmitri Lytov told me that:

... the 1st and the 2nd functions are different by QUALITY, not just by quantity. In fact, the numbers of positions in the Model A do NOT reflect the "weight" of corresponding functions...

Therefore, making a test based on Model A is problematic.

I think that making a test on I/E, S/N, T/F, j/p is also problematic.

I think that the best way to determine your type is to patiently read through the type descriptions here:

http://www.socionics.com/prof/prof.htm

and to see which description fits you the best.

I'm considering making a summarized description of each type, somethin like the following from an MBTI site:

http://www.personalitypage.com/high-level.html

Please tell me what you lot think.

Creepy-an ixtp (probably istp)

Default Re: Testing - a waste of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo
    I think that the best way to determine your type is to patiently read through the type descriptions
    I think so too.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a particularly difficult time figuring out my type because I do not have strong preferences in the E/I, T/F, and P/J categories. Most of the descriptions I read sounded like me and test results would vary with my mood.

There were three things that finally helped me break it down. First of all the socion.info test, but the problem with that was that as soon as I posted my results there was a debate about what they meant with various interpretations. If it hadn't been for the other two things I may not have figured out my type.

The second thing is the basic passions. I don't know why, but it just seemed more definitive. Here is a diagram of how the basic passions correspond to the types. Even that did not help me all that much though because the book that I used to determine my basic passions had 14 personality styles instead of 16, and suprise suprise, one of the ones not included happens to be my type.

The thing that helped my the most was the simplest thing of all. It cut through the confusion based on my moods and got right to the heart of the matter: my temperament. I read a book probably 7 years ago about the four temperaments. I knew that I was primarily Choleric and secondly Sanguine, which correspond to the Rationalist and Hedonist. At that point I knew I was a Rationalist, which made it a lot easier to narrow things down and pick a type.

I told you I'm difficult!
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Joy.

I think with the type descriptions at:

http://www.socionics.com/prof/prof.htm

you will find things in each description that contain personal similarities and dissimilarities.

I think that one should pick the descriptions that fit them most well. Once they have done that, they should look at those picked descriptions and highlight personal dissimilairites from each descriptions. The next stage would be to cross out the description which contains the most dissimilarities, then cross out the next description which contains the most dissimilarities, and so on, until there is only one description left. The last description will be the right one.

It will take time, but will save a lot of hassle later on.

Hugo

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

elbow tchaikovsky freezer burn

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that the best way to determine your type is to patiently read through the type descriptions
    Actually, the best way to tell someone's type is through the physical. :wink:

Therefore, making a test based on Model A is problematic.

I think that making a test on I/E, S/N, T/F, j/p is also problematic.
    Hugo, you're right about this. That is why I came up with this test. I think testing for your areas of confidence is more reliable than tesing for function or acronym directly.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Testing - a waste of time?"

Ya.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Actually, the best way to tell someone's type is through the physical. :wink:
    The physical is still part of description. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Hugo, you're right about this. That is why I came up with this test. I think testing for your areas of confidence is more reliable than tesing for function or acronym directly.
    Rocky, any testing is problematic. The test you made is based on either Model A, I/E, S/N, T/F, j/p, NF, NT, SF, ST, etc. In the end it all boils down to the same thing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Rocky, any testing is problematic. The test you made is based on either Model A, I/E, S/N, T/F, j/p, NF, NT, SF, ST, etc. In the end it all boils down to the same thing."

It could be based upon how well one's choices of particular descriptions correspond with particular descriptions of types.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you please explain what you mean.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uhhhhhhhhhh.......
    ENTps normally have a long, slim figure. Other parts of the body are also stretched, especially the legs and fingers. They often have rounded shoulders. Sometimes ENTps have a characteristic inwardly sloping chin.
    Sounds nothing like me. I'm 5'0 and have very square shoulders. Check out these pics.
    SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all the socion.info test, but the problem with that was that as soon as I posted my results there was a debate about what they meant with various interpretations. If it hadn't been for the other two things I may not have figured out my type.
    That is actually one of the main purposes of the test ... for people to debate and discuss the results. Between that and the type descriptions, people usually are able to find their correct type.

I read a book probably 7 years ago about the four temperaments. I knew that I was primarily Choleric and secondly Sanguine, which correspond to the Rationalist and Hedonist. At that point I knew I was a Rationalist, which made it a lot easier to narrow things down and pick a type.
    I am Sanguine Choleric, too ... odd coincidence.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not really We're both ENTps.
    SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    uhhhhhhhhhh.......
    ENTps normally have a long, slim figure. Other parts of the body are also stretched, especially the legs and fingers. They often have rounded shoulders. Sometimes ENTps have a characteristic inwardly sloping chin.
    Sounds nothing like me. I'm 5'0 and have very square shoulders. Check out these pics.
    It's no so much the physical descriptions I perosonally focus on, but on the mind and how it deals with the world. For example, ENTps possess "incredible absent-mindedness". Or "If somebody puts pressure on them they immediately counterattack, often with more than equal force.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry that was me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uhhhhhhhhhh.......
    Physical descriptions aren't described well here. BY "phsical" I mean that you can relate someone's appearence, voice, mannerisms, and movements to a certain type. It's really something that just takes time as you start to make more connections between people.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's as straight forward as that at the moment as Socionics is still in it's infancy. Although I do agree that there would be patterns.

More work needs to be done by Socionists.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo
    uhhhhhhhhhh.......
    It's no so much the physical descriptions I perosonally focus on, but on the mind and how it deals with the world. For example, ENTps possess "incredible absent-mindedness". Or "If somebody puts pressure on them they immediately counterattack, often with more than equal force.
    I'm absent-minded, but I don't do the counter attack thing (anymore). It seems somewhat childish.
    SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might help:

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    ...people tend to be quicker to identify with one of those descriptions if I tell them to think about how they were as a kid.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be cool to make a test that shows the difference between two types, so you can pick wich one you are more. So that it tries every combination of comparison.
    -Slava

What a great replacement for a nany

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hugo I agree...

The only rule that we need is ENTPs cannot test themselves...

{♠x<º))))><¸.·´¯`·.¸IcEPiCk¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>x♠ }

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slava
    I think it would be cool to make a test that shows the difference between two types, so you can pick wich one you are more. So that it tries every combination of comparison.
    My point is that tests don't really work. Tests are basically made to create a short cut or an easy way.

My experience has taught me that the hard way is best most of the time.

----------------------------------------------

I'll give you an example. Everyone know that in order to lose weight you need to have a diet low in fat, and do exercise. But then you get loads of books telling you how to lose weight by other methods.

But everyone knows that they need to exercise and eat health food. But instead they try to fool themselves into thinking there is another EASY alterative. They just don't want to do things patiently and the right way.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno, I think they could work for a lot of people, just not me. :wink:
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hugo, i really liked your website that has the concise version of all the personality types and then all of the indepth looks. i was confused before whether i was an ENFp or and ESFp, but now i am definitely sure that i'm an ENFp. i learned a lot! so yeah, that's my opinion on your website you made. good job! i'm going there from now on to look up stuff and things. kay bye!
    *ENFp*
    Play with me!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunflower/Hugo

Where is this website?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the website!
    it was up on the first thing that hugo said in this forum thingy. Enjoy!
    *ENFp*
    Play with me!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower
    Here is the website!
    it was up on the first thing that hugo said in this forum thingy. Enjoy!
    That's an MBTI site... evil! Stay away!

(And that's not Hugo's site).
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why is it evil? i found it very informative and freaking sweet! sorry, i just watched napoleon dynamite.
    *ENFp*
    Play with me!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower

why is it evil? i found it very informative and freaking sweet! sorry, i just watched napoleon dynamite.
    Ahh... because it's MBTI? Is that a good enough reason? Actually, that's more of an "onion" reason; there are a lot of layers of problems that are implied with it.

Hell, I could even convince myself I'm an MBTI ENFP if I was feeling down or something.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was totally convinced that I was an MBTI INFJ for a while while I was on the tail end of a horrible year, in many regards. I don't hold anything against MBTI typing though because a lot of people need a simple system. Even MBTI is too complex for many!
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was totally convinced that I was an MBTI INFJ for a while while I was on the tail end of a horrible year, in many regards. I don't hold anything against MBTI typing though because a lot of people need a simple system. Even MBTI is too complex for many!
    No, MBTI is too hazy for people.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Creepy-Kim (not logged on)

Hey, I just read this on that personality page:

Although two well-developed individuals of any type can enjoy a healthy relationship, ENFP's natural partner is the INTJ, or the INFJ. ENFP's dominant function of Extraverted Intuition is best matched with a partner whose dominant function is Introverted Intuition.
    Ha, screw all the supervision talk. MBTI is the man! I'm off to the dark side! See you all later!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahem, Kim, it says "introverted intuition".

You know where I live. Just let yourself in.

Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You couldn't let me dream a little longer before dragging me back onto Planet Soc, eh?

You are such an INTp!

He is capable of pouring a bucket of cold water out on the head of an enthusiast (...) Hearing of a situation, he very soon thoroughly understands it and begins to tell to the bewildered interlocutor the details and aspects that the latter had overlooked.
    (http://the16types.info/types-INTP.php)

Who needs tests, really??
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A test is a short cut, and as we all know there are rarely short cuts in life.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, but we can work smart instead of working hard... it's all about delagation...

Hugo, tests are good, just not definitive.
    SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working hard, as I am suggesting, does in my opinion give definitive results. As a result, working hard is working smart.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working hard is essential, but think of what I'm suggesting as leverage. Working hard would be moving shingles to the roof by carrying them up the ladder. Working smart would be to set up a pully system. Of course, roofing is hard work regardless, but you get the idea.
    SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with what you say in your analogy, but I donlt think it applies here.

In your analogy hard work and smart work do not coincide. But with the issue about working out personality type, they do coincide, in my opinion.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like it's sorta a matter of patience and diligence?
    SEE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast